Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

+5
fiftynotout
mauveangel09
CaledonianCraig
jingle
B4p
9 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread Empty 2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  B4p Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:17 pm

A safe place to air your views in the forum's main discussion lounge.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread Empty Re: 2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  jingle Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:51 pm

Can't believe that a year has already passed, but it's time to say Happy Birthday to our Tango again (happy 84th!)...which also means that Strictly is nearly upon us cheers

EDIT - its a wee bit confusing, as the website seems to think its the 15th today while I'm posting this on 14th. But nevermind, happy birthday or possibly happy belated birthday Tango!
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread Empty Re: 2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:08 pm

Many happy returns Tangolero. Hope you have had a great day.

As for the upcoming new series that kicks off in a few hours the celebs who I am rooting for (just now) are Angela Rippon, Les Dennis, Annabel Croft and Nigel Harman. Others probably will grow on me as I get to know more about their background and character. I hope you all enjoy Strictly 2023. cheers
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

jingle likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread Empty 2023 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:11 pm

Happy Belated Birthday to Mr T - Hope you had a good one and that you are doing well and ready to go for another year of SCD.

Hello to everyone - hope everyone is ok.

I too can't believe that Strictly has come round again so quickly. I have deliberately avoided watching the build-up and hype to the series this year so last night was all new to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it for that reason and feel that I am ready to 'buckle up' for the new series. I liked most of the pairings and put some initial observations on the other thread. I thought lots of them did well in the group dance - but then I reminded myself that they have weeks to prepare for this. The true test is the 2nd show of the season. I liked the format of the launch show compared to the old days when they used to stand there as though they were in a cattle market.

Looking forward to lots of interesting conversations this year.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:54 pm

Hello again everyone. Looking forward to getting back into the Strictly bubble.

I've not seen the launch show yet as I've been away. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch-up before the show tomorrow night.

Belated birthday greetings to Tango. See you all on the other side.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread Empty Week 1

Post  B4p Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:19 pm

Well. What a cracker of a first show. It looks as if this season is full of talented (and competitive) contestants. There was so much to take in with such a long programme, that I'm going to revisit my notes and make my comments tomorrow. A great start by everyone. Lots of positive energy.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:29 am

Back with a bang. I really enjoyed the show. The judges were constructive. T ess and Claudia hit the pace and tone just right. Dave Arch and his band were on form. I still think it would be nice for T ess to say after the dance, as the contestants catch their breath, who sang the track. I think we're in for a treat this season. Can't wait for the next show.

My thoughts for week 1.

Adam (Cha-Cha-Cha) - Always difficult to go first, particularly to open the season. I don’t think ‘the robot’ moves added anything, or the serviette choreography, but I think he has rhythm. Not a bad first dance. (4,5,5,5) a 4 from me.

Angela S. (Tango) - I wasn’t keen on the opening and thought she was off balance during it. I preferred the sections in hold when the tension was clearer to see. Not so keen on the out-of-hold parts, for me, they seemed to dilute the drama and soften the mood. (6,6,5,6) a 5 from me.

Eddie (Quickstep) - Lots of faffing about on the sofa to start and end with. Too much time out of hold for my liking. I think he has a lot of potential. Great natural rhythm and timing. Good performance and audience rapport. I would have liked to have seen more quickstep content and think he could have been pushed a lot harder. (4,6,6,6,) A 5 from me.

Angela R. (Cha-Cha-Cha) - Loved Kai’s choreography, simple yet classy, and containing the essentials. She did a brilliant job, with rhythm, style, her performance, and great flexibility. (7,7,7,7). I agreed with a 7.

Nikita (Waltz) - I enjoyed Gorka’s choreography. She was so nervous poor girl and appeared frozen at a couple of points. I agreed with Cr aig that at times Gorka seemed to be dragging her into place. Some lovely arm and hand shaping. Lovely expressive face and story-telling. Hopefully Gorka will raise her confidence over the next few weeks. (3,5,5,5) A 5 for me.

Layton (Samba) - It’s a shame he did the samba on week 1. I get the feeling that he under-estimated the complexities of that dance and would have done better with it a bit further down the line. I felt like they weren’t really dancing as a co-ordinated pair, but almost like Layton was the lead dancer. (7,8,7,7) I thought Motsi’s 8 was a bit over zealous. A 7 from me.

Zara (Cha-Cha-Cha) - Another one with high kicks and flexibility. I liked her attempts at the Cha-Cha leg action and thought her arms and hands were nicely shaped in hold. I got a bit bored with the constant ‘shuzzing’ of her hair in the solo parts. (3,6,5,5) A 5 from me.

Les (Tango) - It took almost 1 minute to get into hold which left 30 seconds to do any Tango? Lots of marching across the diagonal. Not keen on the choreography or music. What happened to Nancy’s neck? Two fresh red stripes under her chin on the left side of her neck. (2,4,5,5). A 3 from me.

Ellie (Jive) - I enjoyed this. I think they dance well as a pair. Loved the choreography and thought she did really well with the amount of content. I also liked the variety of pace, the moments of speed and stillness, partner work, solo bits. I thought the kick section would have been kinder at the beginning before her energy levels began to drop towards the end. One to watch. (7,8,7,7) A 7+ for me.

Jody (Quickstep) - I couldn’t understand why this was scored so low. It seemed to have a lot more content than Eddie’s Quickstep. It was mostly in hold which for someone who would have trouble adjusting his stride with precision seemed a brave choice to me. I liked the Hollywood glam of the choreography. I think they make a great couple. (5,5,6,5). A 7 from me

Bobby (Foxtrot) - I liked Diane’s choreography (although the ‘lying on the floor section seemed a bit of a time waster). I thought he looked relaxed, graceful, and comfortable and ‘in the moment’ with Diane. I enjoyed watching him dance and think he’ll do well. (6,7,8, Cool. I couldn’t decide but probably a 7+

Annabel (Cha-Cha-Cha) - Steadycam man was driving me nuts as usual. Thank goodness he wasn’t circling around Gio circling. Loved watching this. Lovely to see Johannes having some fun with someone who has potential. She’s got great style and rhythm. Beautiful arm, hand, and leg placement. (7,7,7,7). I would have given her a 7+.

Amanda (V.Waltz) - Loved this, especially the beginning where they get straight into dancing. I loved her understated dress and graceful arms. I enjoyed the story telling. I think these two will do well. She seems a grafter and Gio would appreciate that and push her hard. I can’t remember him ever ‘dumbing down’ a routine for his contestant. Another one with potential. (7,7,8,7). An 8 from me.

Krishnan (Cha-Cha-Cha) - Great fun routine from Lauren. He’s got rhythm and timing and seems to be enjoying himself. I think they’ll get on well as a pair. Another dance I thought was slightly under scored. (5,6,6,5) a 6 from me.

Nigel (Paso Doble) - Wow. Exciting. Powerful. Didn’t he do well? Loved the performance. Great synchronisation and mirroring between them. Some great body shaping plus the bonus of some additional cape work at the end. Not over shadowed by Katya. They seemed to dance well together. Can’t wait to see more. Looking forward to seeing Katya ’s choreography fly again this year. I know she can be a bit loud but her routines usually make up for it. Nancy seems more of the screamer at the moment. Dance of the night for me. (8,8,8,Cool A definite 8 from me.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:17 am

Well we are off and running. A very enjoyable opener which was a bit of a slow burner I felt as the real eye-opening dances came in the second half.

Adam (Cha Cha Cha): Faffing at the start and he began tentatively but he got better as the dance went on. I did not like him incorporating the break dancing into the routine and sincerely hope this is not going to be a running theme. A decent enough first dance in which he showed good rhythm. A 5 from me. 19 from judges.

Angela S (Tango): A little off balance at the very start but a pretty decent effort on the whole. I felt she could have done with a little more attack at times (as C.raig stated too) but this looks like a fun pairing. 6 from me. 23 from judges.

Eddie (Quickstep): Faffing with couch at the start. His posture was an issue with his bum sticking out for most of the time but he did show great rhythm and performance levels were very good. Work on that posture and he has real potential. 5 from me. 22 from judges.

Angela R (Cha Cha Cha): Cumbersome or clumpy steps coming down the stairs at the stairs but she showed great lines for a woman around 80. At times she looked a little unsure but a very decent opening dance. Somewhat over-talked up by the judges and a tad overmarked. 6 from me. 28 from judges.

Nikita (Waltz): To me she seemed to struggle quite a bit. The dance in its choreography was delightful but for me I did not see a lot of the way in steps from her and I fully agree with C.raig in that a lot of the time it seemed like she was being dragged around by Gorka. Still I think he may chisel a dancer out of her. A 4.5 from me. 18 from judges.

Layton (Samba): Sorry but got no real pleasure from this which looked like a mini-pro dance. Even the judges are not disguising his vast dance experience going in. Purely going with the dance it was highly polished and an 8 from me. 29 from judges.

Zara (Cha Cha Cha): I liked her confidence and she used her lovely long legs to great effect. Would have liked to have seen more steps and bounce but overall this was pretty good. A 6 from me. 19 from judges.

Les (Tango): First up very poor music to dance a Tango to and a tough dance for him in week one. It was almost like the show trying to separate the wheat from the chaff. Very camp at the start and his posture was off. A bit of a dance disaaaaster darling but he got through it without major error so credit to him for that. I love how he took all criticism with a laugh. Overmarked grossly by Shirley and Motsi. A 3 from me. 16 from judges.

Ellie (Jive): I think this dance suited her well. A very slick start with good sharp and neat footwork. Good attack and she dealt with a tough routine confidently. Up to that point the best dance of the night for me. An 8 from me. 29 from judges.

Jody (Quickstep): Although he looked unsure at the start once underway he showed decent rhythm and nice steps. Posture was off at times and arms a bit wild at times but I enjoyed this helped by suitable music to dance to. A 5.5 from me. 21 from judges.

Bobby (Foxtrot): This dance had a nice, warm feel to it. He led very well and had good posture. Aside from an error or two and the lying down part which served to waste time and added nothing to the dance I liked this. This partnership has potential. A 6.5 from me. 28 from judges.

Annabel (Cha Cha Cha): Good music for the dance but was not keen on the theme of it. However, I thoroughly enjoyed watching her dance. Showed off her lovely legs and a lot of decent steps in there and good chemistry between them. One of my favourite dances of the night. Really enjoyable. A 7 from me. 28 from judges.

Amanda (V.Waltz): This was another that had a lovely feel to it. She dealt with everything very well and had lovely arm positioning and timing. Posture was great too. One of the best dances of the night. An 8 from me. 29 from judges.

Krishnan (Cha Cha Cha): Although a bit camp in places I really liked his rhythm and sense of fun and sheer enjoyment. Also enjoyed Lauren's debut dance well choreographed. A bit wild at times but he showed good timing too. A 5.5 from me. 22 from judges.

Nigel (Paso Doble): This was a great dance to end the show with. Atmospheric and powerful. He showed great shaping and attack. Great work with the cape too when he took over the dance. Dance of the night for me and 8.5. 32 from judges.

An opening show which seemed to show who has dance experience and who does not. Obviously, Layton has stacks but it seems to me that Nigel, Amanda and maybe even Ellie have experience to a degree too. Poor Les I kind of feel has either adoptd or been appointed the comedy routine for this series.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread Empty Re Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2023

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:34 am

Morning all

it's so nice to be up and running again. Although I do find the first few weeks of SCD rather chaotic I enjoyed the show last night, I particularly enjoyed the atmospheric opening n umber by the pros.

I've made general comments this week rather than looking at each couple. Last night we had a friend round for dinner and you know what it is like trying to concentrate in those situations.... Very Happy

Overall I think the j udges struck the right balance last night and gave quite a few constructive comments to help the couples. The scores were largely fair to me except in the case of Adam - I think he must have suffered from going on first as he got glowing comments but then a lowish score which placed him near the bottom of the leaderboard for what I thought was a decent first night Cha-Cha - albeit a bit mis-timed in parts and I didn't like the robot bit. I couldn't understand that he scored lower than Krishnan for example whose dance was dominated by his partner IMO. Lauren seemed to make the mistake that all new SCD pros make in showcasing herself rather than her partner. I can think of many others who have done it before - Graziano, Johannes and Vito - hopefully she will settle into the contest with Krishan and that won't happen, but she needs to teach him some basics as he seemed to have good rhythm.

I found it a mixed bag in terms of which dances I personally enjoyed and for me there was some mediocre in there, particularly with the amount of Cha Chas that we saw, which started to blend into one for me Very Happy Some terrible music too - although a few better tracks interspersed. Nikita seemed to struggle but if a celebrity is dancing the waltz on the first night - at least give them a track in the right tempo! Shocked .

The stand outs for me were Angela Rippon, Ellie and Amanda. Nigel was also very good, although it wasn't my type of paso doble I recognise how well he did especially for the first night and in a dance that the men traditionally find difficult. Layton was predictably very good as well (too good). Annabel was much better than I expected and I enjoyed the routine, except for the tennis racket waving near the end. Looking forward to seeing what she can do.

I really liked what Jowita and Jody did - I thought they were undermarked and Eddy, whilst likeable, was overmarked in a dance where there was a lot out of hold. I was also surprised that Angela Scanlon (or Carlos as her teacher) was not pulled up for dancing most of the Tango on her toes! But then it was the first week........................

Bobby looked relaxed and with good potential but I'm afraid the height difference between him and Dianne slightly distracted me and might prove a challenge.

Amanda and Gio did really well - lovely posture and arms. I did kind of agree with CRH that the routine seemed a bit harsh for a Viennese Waltz but it did have a certain type of intensity. The tabloids would have us believe that these two are at each other's throats! I did feel last week that this could be a fiery partnering and that she is not Gio's 'type' of partner but if any of that is true they did a very good job of hiding it last night and the chemistry was definitely there on the dance floor.

So overall I thought it was a high standard opening show with quite a few competitors who show promise, and others who may develop in the coming weeks. I always feel that the second show is more representative of the true abilities and I just want to see more of all of them. My overriding image of last night must be Angela Rippon - I thought she was fantastic - couldn't believe what I was seeing with those legs - Go Angela!!!!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:37 am

Hello all, looking forward to another Strictly year.

The dance of the night for me yesterday was Krishnan, I smiled and laughed (in a happy way) all the way through.

Layton, I think, will be the ringer nobody votes for - rather like Jason Donovan and Denise van Outen.

And it will surely be taxi for Les next Sunday? For an old pro who has done plenty of west end stage work I’m surprised he isn’t better than he is…..

fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:37 am

mauveangel09 wrote:Amanda and Gio did really well - lovely posture and arms.  I did kind of agree with CRH that the routine seemed a bit harsh for a Viennese Waltz but it did have a certain type of intensity. The tabloids would have us believe that these two are at each other's throats!   I did feel last week that this could be a fiery partnering and that she is not Gio's 'type' of partner but if any of that is true they did a very good job of hiding it last night and the chemistry was definitely there on the dance floor.

The tabloids usually have someone in their sights, and I think Amanda's name was on their first bullet.  They were having a go at her as soon as it was revealed she would be taking part. Gio seemed pretty relaxed around her. She seems keen to learn and work hard which will suit him. I was glad she made the point that they have the same sense of humour and get on well.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:14 pm

Great to read everyone's reviews (hoping Diamonds, Tango, Sax, Moova et al turn up soon). Such a long show, I'll keep my comments short...
Adam - seemed rather loud and overexcitable, though I suspect that may be more nerves than anything. Quote of the night for me was him asking 'how do you keep that leg straight?' and Luba going 'duh, with your brain'. Thought he looked happier out of hold, but now that we've seen the robot dance I don't want to see it again!
Angela S - an ok routine, didn't like the solo spinning as part of a tango, but they look well together
Eddie - Another good quote...Eddie complains 'It's painful' to which Karen bluntly replies 'I don't care'. I think this couple have a good rapport already, and based on the launch show Eddie is one of my early favourites. However I didn't think this quickstep merited its high score. Hideous outfits, too much faffing on the sofa, too much solo dancing, round shoulders etc. I don't think quickstep should be a week one dance.
Angela R - impressive flexibility, but sadly I don't think she'll last long in the competition
Nikita - not a natural dancer at all, she looked self conscious and unsure. Maybe latin will suit her better
Layton - Very good routine but he so obvously has dance experience, even though they all seem to be at pains to say it's not relevant.
Zara - I was disappointed in the choreography for this, and I think we've seen very similar routines from Graziano in the past. The choreography seemed to highlight her weaknesses - hopefully she'll be better in ballroom
Les- oh dear, more walked than danced, an early exit I think
Ellie - technically very good jive, glad she remembered to smile from about half way through
Jody - as commented above, I do think quickstep isn't really a week one routine, and Jody clearly had some problems with some of the moves. Jowita is my favourite pro, and I'm hoping this couple can survive a few weeks
Bobby - wasn't keen on the lying on the floor part of this foxtrot. As already mentioned, the height difference is unfortunate
Annabel - good enough routine. Did anyone notice her daughter in the audience, she looked like a carbon copy of younger Annabel!
Amanda - loved this routine, surprised how good she was. Her fluidity and neatness reminded me a little of Ali Bastion from years ago.It'll be interesting to see if she's equally good in latin
Nigel - :Equal dance of the night for me (along with Amanda). Katya must have a friend in Wardrobe, she always seems to get good outfits for herself and partner. Nigel was one of my favourites from the launch show, so I was really pleased to see he can actually dance.

All in all, a very good week one, and not too many duffers at all. I gave up on ITT last year, but will give it another go this year and see how Fleur gets on.

jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:07 pm

I read an eye-opener of an article the other day about just how much dance experience most of the entrants have this year. I was surprised to see that it is chiefly Jody, Bobby, Amanda A, Eddie, Annabel and Krishnan with next to no previous dance experience. Disappointing. I will be watching these six to see how the progress as they seem to be the only true learners.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2023

Post  mauveangel09 Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:38 pm

I'm really surprised that Amanda A has no previous experience of some kind - if so she did a marvellous job last week. I'm surprised that Nikita and Zara aren't on this list - Nikita especially. For me she gave one of the weakest performances and didn't seem to have any experience. Just shows.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread Empty Week 2

Post  B4p Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:33 am

My thoughts on Week 2's Main Show.

Bobby & Diane - Charleston. I thought he did well with the lifts and stayed in synch with Diane for most of the dance. I wasn’t keen on the pointless opening. I prefer the comedy, goofy style of Charlestons the best.

Annabel & Johannes - Quickstep. Not sure of the relevance of the ball pool. I liked the choreography and that they used the whole floor to trot around. I think she made a misstep at the beginning which threw her concentration. She was so nervous, that I felt uneasy watching her.

Jody & Jowita - Paso doble. I think he was having all sorts of balance issues which also affected his posture. Out of synch, and having problems achieving any Spanish lines. I don’t think the music was suitable at all. The poor chap was gutted with the judge's comments and scores. I hope he stays in a bit longer, as I’d like to see him in the slower ballroom dances.

Ellie & Vito - Foxtrot. I liked it a lot. I think Vito’s coming up with some interesting choreography. I thought using a beach ball to help her find the right head position in training was a clever idea. They dance well as a couple. Great synchronization. I enjoyed her storytelling, facial expressions, graceful arms and hands.

Nigel & Katya - V.Waltz. Was it ‘get Nigel week?’ Even Cr aig suggested not to worry as he’d get voted through this week on his face! I thought Shirley’s comments about ‘fly flat when you do a V.Waltz’ were a bit harsh for week 2, especially when she lets other people’s footwork slide under the radar. It’s such a fast twirly dance, I would think it would be difficult not to bob up and down with that waltz rhythm. Another one was gutted by his feedback.

Nikita & Gorka - Charleston. Very fast music. I get bored of the wagging finger moves and general theme. For me the Charleston should be full of fun, not somebody annoyed because her boyfriend wasn’t proposing to her. I wasn’t keen. I agreed with Cr aig, I saw walking and jumping, but not a lot of classic Charleston moves.

Les & Nancy - Samba. Modeled on Popeye and stitched up like one of Captain Birdseye’s kippers. When I saw him being dropped in by an anchor, I thought he was heading for Davy Jones’s locker. It would be nice to see him do a waltz or Foxtrot. Poor Les.

Adam & Luba - Tango. I liked the opening and the costumes. I’m not sure why for the last few seasons ‘throttling’ seems to have crept into the Tangos. Tension yes, but do we have to have all the rough man-handling? He did well to keep in character and hide his the devils work face. Shirley mentioned his footwork being too soft but said nothing about any lack of staccato head moves. I couldn’t see very much action from the waist down thanks to Steadycam man doing his own V.Waltz, driving me nuts.

Amanda & Gio - Salsa. Loved this. I’m not sure we needed three lifts though. For me, too many lifts in a 90 seconds routine, breaks the rhythm and mood of the dance.

Krishnan & Lauran - Foxtrot. I think he made a few mistakes near the beginning and lost his place. They seemed to take ages to get into hold. He’s light on his feet and has rhythm. I didn’t recognize it as a Foxtrot. Three judges saying he should be leading the dance more seemed a bit harsh for week 2. I don’t know if he was singing along or chatting through it. He seemed to be taking a leisurely walk in some parts.

Eddie & Karen - Cha-Cha-Cha. Well. Who started WW3? Karen was certainly not impressed by criticisms of her choreography. Not a typical Cha-Cha and Eddie seemed to be freestyling for a lot of it. Lots of loose hip action, but no leg action. I thought he was prancing a bit, lifting his feet too high. A bit messy. Not keen.

Zara & Graziano - Quickstep. I enjoyed this Quickstep and thought it was a bit under-marked. I liked the traditional choreography. I thought she did well and seemed happy. She stayed in synch and completed the course. Much improved from last week.

Angela S. And Carlos - Jive. I didn’t like Carlos’s choreography last year, but I loved this. I thought the solo bits were great. For me, her attitude, storytelling, and footwork was great. I thought this was worth a few more marks than it got.

Angela R. & Kai - Foxtrot. I liked Kai’s choreography and her execution of it. She stumbled at one point but he picked her up quickly. Again steady cam man was aiming his camera mostly at waist level. I wasn’t keen on her outfit or hairstyle, but I wasn’t sure if her wardrobe was going for a 1950s theme. A long sparkly midnight blue ballgown and modern hairstyle would have been nice.

Layton & Nikita - Quickstep. I enjoyed this, and loved Nikita’s choreography. I thought Layton stiffened up when dancing backward and didn’t look as comfortable being driven by Nikita. They seemed to be dancing more as a pair this week. Layton certainly took umbrage with Nikita using the word ‘basic’ in training. Nikita did well to keep his cool and clarify ‘a basic step, not that you are basic.’
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:36 am

cheers Happy birthday CC drunken king
B4p
B4p

CaledonianCraig likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:37 am

Quite an odd week I thought. Some dances and dancers who I thought were good enjoyable dances got scathing criticism for varying reasons but hey-ho.

Bobby and Diane (Charleston): I wasn't keen on the start and thought he looked ungainly in places but all in all his steps were good and he had great swivel action. Not quite as good as his first dance. A 6.5 from me.

Annabel and Johannes (Quickstep): I didn't like the use of the ball pool prop. Just did not see the reasoning behind it and lended nothing to the dance. I did spot an error and that moment of brain freeze but she quickly got back into hold and carried on. A nice, light airy dance that had good floor coverage with fair remarks from the judges. Way undermarked by C.raig (a 4?). A 6.5 from me.

Jody and Jowita (Paso Doble): I liked the use of the firesticks at the start - it set the tone nicely I felt. I felt he was too robotic at the start (or the stompy look C.raig referred to). He did have one or two good shapings and felt the second half was an improvement. A dance he struggled with. A 5 from me.

Ellie and Vito (Foxtrot): Aside from the faffing at the start I really enjoyed this. A very nice dance where she showed nice steps and performance levels were great where she put her acting skills to great use to sell the dance. Enjoyable choreography too from Vito. An 8 from me.

Nigel and Katya (V.Waltz): Despite it earning the ire of some of the judges I really liked this. A beautiful dance to beautiful music and all very atmospheric. The only fault that I could see was spatula hands at one point. Sh.irley tore into him for missing most of the basics but I thought it was well worth an 8.

Nikita and Gorka (Charleston): At first look I quite liked it as it was an improvement on her dance last week. She looked more comfortable and confident although yes it was stompy but at least she attempted steps unlike last week. A 5 from me.

Les and Nancy (Samba): As soon as he was lowered on that anchor I knew what we were heading for - a comedy routine or was it lets have a laugh at Les night? It was always a dance you felt he'd struggle with so early on. No real floor coverage and very camp in places. All in all it made for a dance disaaaster darling. I love how he can laugh at himself and the criticism to add to the entertainment. A 3 from me.

Adam and Lubo (Tango): A dance I felt that would suit him and he did passably okay. Posture was a bit off at times but some good steps and yes staccato head movements were missing. Good degree of attack though although there were errors. A 5.5 from me.

Amanda and Giovanni (Salsa): Loved her solo opening and once together it was a fun-filled dance with lots of daring lifts and good party feel. I did see her flagging towards the end but one of the dances of the night for me. An 8.5 from me.

Krishnan and Lauren (Foxtrot): A bit of a mess really. It was a dance he struggled with but his good rhythm and enthusiasm got him through the dance in which he kept smiling throughout. Littered by errors though so made it a very bitty dance. A 4.5 from me.

Eddie and Karen (Cha Cha Cha): Well not being a dancer of any sort I enjoyed this. He had great hip action and musicality but seemingly not the dance for this according to most of the judges. A 6 from me.

Zara and Graziano (Quickstep): A decent dance this once the faffing with signs were out of the way. She looked confident and had good floor coverage and dealt with steps nicely. A 6.5 from me.

Angela S and Carlos (Jive): After reading she trained in Irish dancing when younger I always felt she would deal well with this dance. Very sharp footwork and good kicks with retraction. I enjoyed the choreography of this. The kicks towards the end got a bit wild but that aside very enjoyable. One of the dances of the night for me. An 8.5 from me.

Angela R and Kai (Foxtrot): A dance I always felt would suit her but was it her outfit or did she seem to have hunched shoulders? Moved very nicely with lots of grace. Really catching the Debbie McGee vibes here. A 7.5 from me.

Layton and Nikita (Quickstep): Another highly polished dance. It was expected as far as I was concerned and it was delivered. Perfect music choice and felt like two professional dancers dancing together. Anyone watching Strictly for the first time would not have been able to differentiate who was the professional here. Dance of the night. A 9 from me but is this really what Strictly has become?

Well it is clear that Les is some way behind the rest and unless he avoid the dance-off then he is toast. Others in danger being Nikita and maybe Jody and Krishnan.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:38 am

B4p wrote:cheers Happy birthday CC drunken king

Thanks B4p
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread Empty Re; Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2023

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:18 am

Hi all
Enjoyed reading your comments so far. Felt it was an interesting show last night and for me some much better music but the routines were very up and down with too much 'acting' (as to be expected though on week 2). Two irritations for me were some of the Foxtrots seeming more like American Smooths (I did write that down before CRH said it) with too much out of hold and as always some of the j udges comments and scoring - some undermarked and some overmarked - seems a bit political as though they are positioning themselves for possible dance off combinations (I might be wrong of course)

Sometimes the j udges were making allowances for it being week 2 in the tone of their comments and sometimes they didn't!! I think it should still be a level playing field with comments on week 2 - just because someone has managed to do a decent dance at this stage doesn't mean that they are going to be the worlds best dancer going forward.

As an aside - what's with the trouser suits for T ess and C laud? 2nd week. One step away from office wear Smile

Bobby and Dianne - Charleston
Thought he had excellent swivel and it was well co-ordinated but felt it was a bit repetitious. Well done to him for doing those lifts in week 2 which did look a bit ungainly but feel he can only improve. 7 from me.

Annabel and Johannes - Quick Step
Felt she was nervous and had a few wobbles but I thought she did really well because this was a full on QS with plenty of content and no compromise with fillers and flim flam. She moved really well across the floor. Perhaps on reflection he should have toned it down a bit so that they could have put in a bit more finesse. Felt CRH's 4 was unwarranted as she didn't really go wrong and this was a proper ballroom routine. I still think she has potential. 6 from me.

Jody and Jowita - Paso Doble
Call me old fashioned but I'm not liking these Rock paso dobles at all. Didn't think this was the right dance for him on week 2. I was impressed with him last week so it was a shame as he didn't do very much at all and the j udges seemed to struggle with what to say. Marks justified but felt sorry for him - I don't think we have seen his personality yet and not sure he is enjoying it that much. 4 from me.

Ellie and Vito- Foxtrot
Although there was a lot of American Smooth about it I enjoyed it a lot - she did some nice steps and heel turns. Took a bit of a dive for me when they went out of hold and Vito started leaping around - but definitely one to watch. 7 from me.

Nigel and Katya - Viennese Waltz
Difficult to cop this dance in the early weeks but I thought he did really well. Couldn't really understand Shirley's rant - (is she trying to make sure she doesn't seem to be favouring the males this year???) but then hey ho - obviously as j udges they saw more than us. I approved of the way they used the whole floor and it seemed relatively faff free - just a straightforward dance. A bit fast and furious in parts but really good for this stage. 8 from me. Really liked Katya's dress.

Nikita and Gorka - Charleston
Didn't really resemble a Charleston to me - although she seemed more confident. I don't think she really 'gets' it, it is not about Gorka letting her 'be herself' - it is about learning different dance styles!! 4 from me - fair marks from the j udges.

Les and Nancy - Samba
As CC has already said - as soon as someone flies in you know it is not going to be very good! Good old Les - a 'dance-dis-ah-ster' but funny. Agree with B4P - why didn't they give him a ballroom n umber? He was never going to cope with this and the facial expressions didn't help either. Generous 4 from me.

Adam and Luba - Tango
Good upper half but for me downstairs needs a bit more work. I quite enjoyed it - another lovely ballroom dress worn by Luba. I agreed with Motsi and Shirley that he does need to push himself on technique and basics as I still think he's got good potential. I hope that Luba can bring this out of him. 6 from me. Felt it wasn't worth the 7 from A nton.

Amanda and Gio - Salsa
One of the dances of the night to brilliant music and great step sequences - agree it didn't need so many lifts. 8 from me.

Krishnan and Lauren - Foxtrot
Funny music for a Foxtrot I thought. A Foxtrot it wasn't. He obviously struggled in hold and I found it off putting that Lauren was clearly shouting out the moves to him. Not too good and I felt he was overmarked for the second week. Another generous 4 from me.

Eddie and Karen - Cha Cha
I agreed with CRH then Motsi gave a more polite version of the comments he gave. The cha cha was completely lacking and it was like some generic latin club dance - good in its own right if it had been 'Couples Choice' but not what was wanted - however, I blame Karen for that. The music was brilliant and Eddie has great rhythm and style - great hips. He has all the ingredients for latin that most male celebs do not - so all the more reason for Karen to be using that in a better way -- not just letting him do whatever he likes. If he is reined in I think he will be brilliant.
The score of 3 was ridiculous - but then it wasn't a 7 either for me. 6 better.

Zara and Graziano - Quick Step
Why was Zara wearing a pair of Margot Leadbetter's curtains? Very Happy I'm afraid the dress distracted me from what I think was quite a good routine. They didn't really wow me last week and I'm not sure what to think just yet. 6 from me.

Angela and Carlos - Jive
Wow - what precise feet - I really enjoyed all the step precision in this one. My friend told me that she has done Irish dancing so it figures and explains why she did a lot on her toes in the Tango last week. I think she is going to find the dances where she can't go up on her toes more challenging. A deserved 8 from me.

Angela and Kai - Foxtrot
That was a Foxtrot!!!! One of the dances of the night for me. They showed how it should be done. Can't say anymore............8 from me.

Layton and Nikita - Quick Step
Well it was really two professionals dancing for me. What to say? It was excellent but I kind of can't see the point of him. It is unfair on the other contestants and unfair on him because of the flak that he will undoubtedly get. Like B4P I chuckled when Nikita was explaining the meaning of 'basic' in ballroom and latin dancing - I think Nikita is managing him well.
I suppose I have to give a 9! Liked their suits.

I think the weaker ones were obvious - there is a lot in the middle for me so will be interesting in the coming weeks to see how it develops. Whilst Les would seem an obvious choice for the exit - It could be just some random 'midling' person who goes out.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:41 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:
Zara and Graziano - Quick Step
Why was Zara wearing a pair of Margot Leadbetter's curtains? Very Happy  
My first thought was 'someone's missing their curtains'. I'm sure I inherited ones like that in my first bedsit.

Layton and Nikita - Quick Step
Well it was really two professionals dancing for me.  What to say?  It was excellent but I kind of can't see the point of him.  It is unfair on the other contestants and unfair on him because of the flak that he will undoubtedly get.  
I think Layton is being used as a sort of shield to divert some of the flak away from others with various dance experiences. I'm guessing by doing Strictly, it could help his West End career.

I think the weaker ones were obvious - there is a lot in the middle for me so will be interesting in the coming weeks to see how it develops.   Whilst Les would seem an obvious choice for the exit - It could be just some random 'midling' person who goes out.  
I think Nikita with Gorka is the next weakest candidate, but it depends on the votes she can muster. I got a bit fed up with the usual soundbite on the results show that both couples did better in the dance-off. No they didn't. In fact I thought Nikita was only just better by a cat's whisker. She looked completely fearstruck.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:51 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Jody and Jowita (Paso Doble):  I liked the use of the firesticks at the start - it set the tone nicely I felt.
I'd forgotten about those firesticks. Yes. I thought Jowita did a great job with those.

Angela R and Kai (Foxtrot): A dance I always felt would suit her but was it her outfit or did she seem to have hunched shoulders?
I thought that last week too, but maybe it's an age-related thing. I can't see Kai tying Angela R's shoulders up to a mop handle like Vito did to Ellie  Razz
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:25 am

Well the first results show was a bit of a surprise. A surprise because there was a fairly predictable dance-off and result. No shocks. Les faced off against Nikita who both stood at the bottom of the judges' scorecards. I felt both improved in the dance-off and fair enough Les got voted off. I must say I do not think I have ever seen another celebrity take criticism so well and laugh along with it and take being voted off so gracefully. I feel sorry for him as he really got the short end of the straw with two very tough dances first up especially when you consider the far kinder set of dances and musical choices given to far superior dancers. Talk about handicapped. Poor Les.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:38 am

I really do have to wonder if the show has a team who gauge the celebrities progress and then decide the course of dances. Those deemed potentially good dancers wrapped in cotton wool and given pick of the dances and music choices whilst those seen as quickly expendable given the rough end of the stick. I say this thinking of the two senior dancers - Angela Rippon and Les Dennis. One can dance and has obviously danced before (Angela) and the other evidently can't or struggles to dance (Les). Angela got two dances that suited her with lovely music while Les got the opposite in two dances that was always going to test a man in his 70s. You decide.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:15 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I really do have to wonder if the show has a team who gauge the celebrities progress and then decide the course of dances. Those deemed potentially good dancers wrapped in cotton wool and given pick of the dances and music choices whilst those seen as quickly expendable given the rough end of the stick. I say this thinking of the two senior dancers - Angela Rippon and Les Dennis. One can dance and has obviously danced before (Angela) and the other evidently can't or struggles to dance (Les). Angela got two dances that suited her with lovely music while Les got the opposite in two dances that was always going to test a man in his 70s. You decide.

No brainer!
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2023

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:42 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well the first results show was a bit of a surprise. A surprise because there was a fairly predictable dance-off and result. No shocks. Les faced off against Nikita who both stood at the bottom of the judges' scorecards. I felt both improved in the dance-off and fair enough Les got voted off. I must say I do not think I have ever seen another celebrity take criticism so well and laugh along with it and take being voted off so gracefully. I feel sorry for him as he really got the short end of the straw with two very tough dances first up especially when you consider the far kinder set of dances and musical choices given to far superior dancers. Talk about handicapped. Poor Les.

It did end up a predictable first exit in the end didn't it? Certainly agree that they didn't do Les any favours with his choice of dances - why?
It seems that it is a few years since SCD had an obvious comedy act - (correct me if I'm wrong) . I feel there have been a few people who were possibly lined up as a comedy act but then bucked the trend big time - however, Les wasn't one of them. I wonder if the public have become more discerning about SCD over time and that the idea of laughing for many weeks at the antics of the likes of Tug Boat Annie flying in on their anchors and rockets has gone.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next