Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly Books

+33
Poppetlovestango
jingle
saxonsiren
Lucielle
LOST-TANGO
lualen
2toTango
bluecat
salsarae
Kytiara
Toby Jugg
Admin
ewoodie
Alder
David Tee
ladycat
sparklysheila
133-230-44039-18180-800
Pat Shed
MrsArcanum
TompsHB
Mila
fkaIgor *LT*
Mslightfoot
TANGOLERO
allsewnonbyhand
Sid
Lilypad
fiftynotout
Frankie Spence
bomum
Sofajudge
Pink Pinot Girl
37 posters

Page 20 of 43 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31 ... 43  Next

Go down

Strictly Books - Page 20 Empty Re: Strictly Books

Post  Lucielle Tue May 08, 2012 10:51 am

allsewnonbyhand wrote:If this rain ever stops I need to spend some time in the weed jungle that used to be my garden, so I may be a while finishing it! Wink
I know what you mean. Wouldn't surprise me to find a tiger picking its way stealthily through the long grass. But...not being able to get out there, does give me a good excuse to catch up on my reading. Smile

allsewnonbyhand wrote:my news from the BH weekend- Mr Allsewn has officially started mid life crisis and bought himself a sporty car to replace his sensible Focus.... Evil or Very Mad
....mind you I do have to secretly admit, it is rather fab and fun Laughing !
Just make sure he doesn't go out alone. Or...you could always attach some satellite device that will track his whereabouts - like they do with birds on Autumnwatch. Laughing
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue May 08, 2012 11:43 am

Hope you feel better soon Jingle i know toothache is awful & always worse
at night.
Im also a little bamboozled re The Hidden Child! Do keep stopping & starting! I shall pick it up again
this afternoon.
The Oh had a good tidy up of our jungle the weekend & he enjoys chopping,pruning
think its a power tool thing.

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue May 08, 2012 5:45 pm

Jingle- sorry posted in a rush this morning and forgot to mention, hope your tooth abscess is receding there's nothing quite so bad as toothache... (well maybe childbirth)

Lucielle I love your idea for a tracker- however this might fuel OH's terrible misguided belief that he is actual going to attract some nubile young ladies.... tongue
Bless him!!

I'm going to Asda in a mo to pick up a couple of bits so I'll check if there are any 50 Shades.. there. Also to get War Horse which despite being absolutely traumatised by watching it at the cinema, it really is such a beautiful film that I want to be brave and watch it again.

Managed to get home early from work so have at least managed to cut front grass...no tigers but they could still be lurking out back! Wink
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Fri May 11, 2012 12:40 pm

I read "Only Time will Tell" by Jeffrey Archer prompted by an acquaintance who said they enjoyed it and because the last time I read one of his books "Not a penny more..." years ago I thought it not bad.

"Only Time will Tell" is followed up by "The Sins of the Father" (recently out) all part of the so-called Clifton Chronicles. I read the latter because OTWT left a cliff-hanger but the longer I waited for the book the less interested I became. However, I have just finished it and my feeling is "for goodness sake what on earth were you thinking reading this", Having now looked at all the reviews (only one out of 10 reviews was poor), it illustrates how different our opinions can be.

First and foremost, I found it childish - harping on about the good characters just to make absolutely sure you like them and the baddies just to make sure you don't. I suppose you could say for those that don't know it was an education of sorts about WWII with some politics thrown in and, of course, some prison life. It's predictable and all works out well in the end, although JA managed to find a cliff(ton) Embarassed hanger to end with. Do I care - not a jot. No
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri May 11, 2012 2:44 pm

I must admit ive never read a JA book but ill take your comments on board &
stay clear of the series!

I am struggling with The Hidden Child! I just can't seem to concerntrate more
than a few pages help!! I shall retry again later! Strange thou managed pick up The Help & no problems
at all concerntrating!

I shall master this book!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Fri May 11, 2012 6:04 pm

I read quite a bit of Hidden Child the other night when I couldn't sleep and I'm beginning to get into it a bit more, but it is hard going.
Think I'm gettin old.... Crying or Very sad
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Fri May 11, 2012 6:55 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:I read quite a bit of Hidden Child the other night when I couldn't sleep and I'm beginning to get into it a bit more, but it is hard going.
Oh dear...picked the book up today and read the first gruesome couple of pages. It's not going to be light reading methinks... Shocked
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Fri May 11, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm struggling with Hidden Child too. Have picked it up and put it down a few times, and not even reached page 10 yet. Oh dear (sorry everyone, this was my choice - what was I thinking?!!). Will try to get into it this weekend.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Fri May 11, 2012 9:11 pm

I think I'm probably about a third of the way through now and I am getting into the plotlines. I think if I can be bothered I might plot out the characters on paper to help me make sense of who's who.I aim to finish it this weekend if possible, because I've got 50 Shades to read as well now, having picked up my bargain the other night. However, I definitely think it is a book that you have to read in sizeable chunks as it is so bitty that until you've got to grips, it's hard to follow.
I think we may be pleasantly surprised Jingle, so don't feel bad!

I did read quite a few JA books years ago, like Kane and Abel. They were quite good yarns but not exactly literary masterpieces. Not that I mind that- I can't bear book snobbery- as one who tries to instil a love a books in young children, I don't care what children read as long as they enjoy it.
My son who was always a good reader as a child, used to take great delight in recording in his dreary home-school reading diary that what he read was....the Pompey matchday programme!
Sorry, gone right of topic! Laughing
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat May 12, 2012 11:12 am

Jingle its ok and look at it like this we have a literary challenge! Beauty of book club we get read books we may never have considered before!

If i cannot get through whole book then ill do write a why i couldn't enjoy review?!

Alls you got 50 SOG!!!!!! ooher a saucy one!!!! i might check Asda out but im itching to read Hunger Games part 2

Sax

off to parents hoping not have a nag session bless em xxxx
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun May 13, 2012 6:06 pm

I've finished Hidden Child and posted my review...now going to start on a bit of filth- 50 Shades! Wink Wonder if it will measure up to the hype? Will let you know!

Sax do keep us posted in the next part of Hunger Games, I am quite intrigued...
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun May 13, 2012 7:11 pm

Am about halfway through the Hidden Child....on a roll now, and afraid if I put it down I might forget who's who. Tempted to sneak a peek at your review Allsewn, but will try to refrain. By the way, good luck with 50 SOG....will be very interested to hear your verdict!

jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun May 13, 2012 8:52 pm

Well ive had a good four hours read of Hidden Child & im still feeling im wading through mud! I am going to
pick it up again tomorrow! Wow a review already! im feeling ill never get there! Its starting to sink in & im like
Jingle halfway through

Shall keep you up to date re HG!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon May 14, 2012 8:59 pm

I had a sleepless night last night so I made a start on 50 shades... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
I wondered what all the fuss was about as I got way past p80 before there was even a whiff of smut! However, I can now see what prompted the reputation and I'm only halfway through. Embarassed
To be honest, so far I'm quite enjoying the story, but I think its about to go either way- without giving too much away, the main character meets a guy, she has no experience of love or sex whereas he is clearly into other stuff. So far though, I'm intrigued as to whether she will show him that there is 'normal' love (whatever that is!) or whether he will pervert her with his wicked ways. As yet she is yet to decide. So it will either turn into just an excuse to write about kinky sex in which case I won't be impressed, but I am hopeful that true love will win through..I'll keep you posted! Wink
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TompsHB Tue May 15, 2012 4:20 am

Thanks for the invite to join the club, but I know it will put me under pressure to read something that I may not have chosen myself. Life's too short to read books that are a struggle !! ( sorry Neutral )

Just back from Florida, where I read 6 books in 11 days. Bliss ! Blood Runs Cold by Alex Barclay was a good thriller and I thoroughly enjoyed Blackout by John Lawton. Set in wartime London, where the body of a German is found on a bombsite.

I remember reading Kane and Abel by JA many many years ago but haven't touched any of his for years, mainly because I think he is an odious little man.
TompsHB
TompsHB

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue May 15, 2012 7:53 am

TompsHB wrote:Thanks for the invite to join the club, but I know it will put me under pressure to read something that I may not have chosen myself. Life's too short to read books that are a struggle !! ( sorry Neutral )

Just back from Florida, where I read 6 books in 11 days. Bliss ! Blood Runs Cold by Alex Barclay was a good thriller and I thoroughly enjoyed Blackout by John Lawton. Set in wartime London, where the body of a German is found on a bombsite.

I remember reading Kane and Abel by JA many many years ago but haven't touched any of his for years, mainly because I think he is an odious little man.

Well, you'd be welcome any time you do want to join us Tomps. Your holiday sounds like my idea of a perfect holiday- loads of books to read in a hot place! I like the sound of Blackout.

Laughing Laughing ha ha love your thoughts re JA and totally agree with the sentiment! Wink
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 am

Allsewn, glad you're enjoying 50 SOG (though not too much I hope Very Happy !!!). I may be mistaken, but I think it's book one of a trilogy, so the story may not reach an ending yet.

Am about to start 'After Rain', a book of 12 short stories by Irish writer William Trevor. I've never read any of his books, but it's been recommended by a friend. I love a good short story, I often think they're more creative and well constructed than novels. Anyhow, will report back on this one, am looking forward to it.

Lucielle and Sax - how are you getting on with Hidden Child?

jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue May 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Well im about 3/4 way through & its not sinking in! mainly because of the start-stop flow of sub plots!
hoping finish & review before Friday's op!

Glad your enjoying 50 sog! Going to start HG whilst wait for theatre time!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Well im about 3/4 way through & its not sinking in! mainly because of the start-stop flow of sub plots!

Sax

Sax, hope all goes well for you on Friday, will you be in long, or home quickly? Sounds like lots of opportunities for reading, to look on the bright side sunny

Jingle you are right re 50 Shades, it is a trilogy and having now finished I'm annoyed that I'll have to get the next ones to find out what happens. If I happen to be in Asda I might just plop them in my basket, but I might try and have a sneaky skin first, because I don't want to read a book just about the kinky side of things. in fairness, it wasn't more graphic than other books I've read in the past, there's just a lot of it!! Embarassed I am intrigued to find out if she tames him, but I don't want to have to read about her getting drawn in to his side of things in the process....
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Tue May 15, 2012 6:24 pm

TompsHB wrote:Thanks for the invite to join the club, but I know it will put me under pressure to read something that I may not have chosen myself. Life's too short to read books that are a struggle !! ( sorry Neutral )
Don't be sorry Tomps, we welcome your input. It's a jolly good thing we don't all think the same.

TompsHB wrote:I remember reading Kane and Abel by JA many many years ago but haven't touched any of his for years, mainly because I think he is an odious little man.
You know what, I agree and that could be why I'm not enthused about his latest novels. Having said that, I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, (That was awful wasn't it. Embarassed), that is to say even though we don't like the author it doesn't mean they don't write well.

Jingle wrote: Lucielle and Sax - how are you getting on with Hidden Child?
It's slow progress, Jingle, and I don't anticipate finishing before the end of May (I might have mentioned this earlier), it may even go beyond that as I've got some busy weeks ahead. If the club wants to choose the June book, please go ahead, and if I've caught up I'll read that one next. Strictly Books - Page 20 T2009
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  TompsHB Wed May 16, 2012 2:13 am

saxonsiren wrote:Well im about 3/4 way through & its not sinking in! mainly because of the start-stop flow of sub plots!

Sax

I rest my case !! Smile

I'm now reading Guilty as Sin by Tami Hoag. Promising start, a young boy is kidnapped, a man is in custody and the search is on for the missing boy.
TompsHB
TompsHB

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed May 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Hello & finally review done! Omg am i glad the book finished! I feel i need a really light,entertaining story!
I did pop in the Library and they had The Radleys which had been mentioned on our book list previously
Im in overnight only & then rest a few days so shall have time to read!

I am still enjoying the book club it has given my grey matter exposure to use!
Hope we continue

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Wed May 16, 2012 3:41 pm

saxonsiren wrote:I am still enjoying the book club it has given my grey matter exposure to use!
Hope we continue.
Why shouldn't we, Sax? In spite of gloomy reports, I'm determined to read The Hidden Child. In fact in a morbid kind of way I'm quite looking forward to it and to reading your reviews and writing mine. It's slow progress for me though as I don't read during the day and am inclined to fall asleep at night but I get there in the end. Don't let this hold you up with the next read in June. Very Happy

saxonsiren wrote:I did pop in the Library and they had The Radleys which had been mentioned on our book list previously Im in overnight only & then rest a few days so shall have time to read!
Hope all goes well with the op. A marvellous opportunity to do lots of reading. Think it may be your turn to choose a book - why not The Radleys ? Very Happy

Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Wed May 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Yes I was just going to say who's choosing next- over to you Sax! Basketball
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu May 17, 2012 9:49 am

Ooh well there are three i fancy! books not men!!

The Radleys - Matt Haig Comedy,lightweight book i have this book already

will it be too light a read?

The Last Duchess - Daisy Goodwin

The Somnambulist- Essie Fox

mmmmmm either 1 or 2 im happy either way! Guess if The Radleys can say
Genre for June is comedy! So then could rotate genres?

ooh just remembered Stones Fall - lucielles list of books have inspired me
Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 43 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31 ... 43  Next