Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Costumes 2013

+13
David Tee
lualen
Moova 12
Tina Sparkle
mauveangel09
Poppetlovestango
gingercodgers
Littlebear
B4p
Sid
jingle
saxonsiren
hatlady28
17 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Costumes 2013 Empty Costumes 2013

Post  hatlady28 Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:45 am

Hi All, Decided to wait until the second night before writing about the clothes to see if as in previous years there is some kind of underlying theme. The wardrobe department have said in the past that they do try and come up with a unifying idea to keep in their minds. Overall, for the younger women doing ballroom including the pros, I would say that Audrey Hepburn's dress cupboard in Sabrina and Roman Holiday has been raided. The dresses are very pretty, lots of filmy layers, no plunging necklines or fleshy displays with one notable exception: Abbey Clancey......Footballer's Wife? Essex girl? Her dress although perfectly okay was very different in style from all the others. Her idea or theirs? Interesting question, because the lighting and production choices for her waltz would have been better suited by an Audrey dress.

Wardrobe seems to have finally gotten the idea about bingo wings, both Debra and Vanessa were given a bit of coverage there. Fiona and Debra were given beautiful flowing charmeuse in rich colours, charmeuse is a lighter satin often used in lingerie and moves a treat. If one is lucky, one is given the silk version......BIG BUDGET!. Currently the dresses with a lighter outline form and dark sides and back are being shown by many designers and there are high street versions. It was a clever idea to use it on Vanessa in pink and purple as it allowed a visual trick to make her look slimmer. Of course wardrobe are still avoiding the proper boned supported bodices needed for a big bust, particularly a big bust that is dancing, but otherwise they have made a good start.

The Latin dresses are a bit more difficult to figure. Did someone get a bargain on silver fringe? We got an awful lot of it over the two nights; in odd little puffball skirt to essentially what are 50's bathing suits. 50's was also there for Patrick and Anya in the classic pink and black combo. (Question: Isn't it awfully soon to be using the same music for this jive as Artem used for Holly's.....especially since I think the Artem version was a better arrangement and his jive much cooler) O.la and Kristina had their usual sex bomb outfits, although I thought that O.la looked younger and less tarty than usual.

The men are always harder to describe in that there isn't as much there. Julian clearly loved having all his crystals....wonder whether he is designing his own costumes or whether he is letting wardrobe get on with it. In the end I understood that Artem was meant to look Russian cossacesque, BUT when I first saw him I thought why is he done up for a Paso Doble and he appeared to have ODed on spray tan. A big sleeved white shirt would have been a better choice and would have linked with colour what he was wearing to Natalie. The concept for Mark was very nice in that it was just about the most flattering thing they could have done. For the rest we are either talking formal wear or the usual lycra satin tops with sequins. I think a jacket on Tony would have helped his confidence. He grew up in a more formal age when a waltz was done by men dressed in their best.

hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Costumes 2013 Empty Re: Costumes 2013

Post  saxonsiren Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:09 am

As usual Hatlady a brilliant review of SCD's wardrobe! I really look forward to your critique re the dresses/suits/shirts/fringes! Explaining different colour blocks & threads & which suits the best frame!
I think Julian will live in the design room & may as well coatt him all over in sequins & let him strut around similar to The Emporer!
Please carry on each week I love the detail Thank You Smile
Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:15 am

Thank you Sax. Kind words always appreciated.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Great review Hatlady, very interesting analysis as ever.

I particularly liked Deborahs green dress, thought it suited her and the dance very well, and looked a bit more classy than some of the other dresses. The one dress I didn't really like was Sophies - I thought it made her look a bit gangly and like she had very long arms (or maybe she does just have very long arms).

jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:15 pm

I know nothing about fashion, nada, zero, zilch! So this is all very enlightening, can't wait for your next review hatlady!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:22 pm

jingle wrote:Great review Hatlady, very interesting analysis as ever. I particularly liked Deborahs green dress, thought it suited her and the dance very well,
I agree. I thought that shade of green and the general style was very pretty (and I know nothing about clothes)
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:34 pm

B4p wrote:
jingle wrote:Great review Hatlady, very interesting analysis as ever. I particularly liked Deborahs green dress, thought it suited her and the dance very well,
I agree. I thought that shade of green and the general style was very pretty (and I know nothing about clothes)
Me three! It was a gorgeous shade and suited her very well.

My problem with Sophie's dress was that I think that length is too unforgiving for week 1 ballroom footwork!

I suspect I am alone but I didn't think the buttermilk suited Rachel. She looks so gorgeous in the red Marilyn dress she had on in the publicity shots, but I thought the buttermilk didn't do her justice. Didn't like her hair either. Hard to make such a beautiful girl look less than radiant but somehow I thought they managed it.
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  gingercodgers Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:58 pm

I must be the only one on here that didn't like Deborahs dress. I thought she looked like Shrek.
gingercodgers
gingercodgers

Back to top Go down

Post  Poppetlovestango Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:26 pm

I have to say that I liked all the costumes tonight.
Even Tess and Claudia looked good.Surprised
Poppetlovestango
Poppetlovestango

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:21 am

I thought Vanessa's dress was a pretty shade of harebell blue.
Cl audia looked liked she's got a lumbar support on but at least it wasn't her usual all black.
Julien's outfit reminded me of the Bavarian child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Fringing overdose on the latin dresses.
Not so keen on Susannah's dress but not sure why.
Mark's top was a 60's acid trip. Needed sunglasses to watch that.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:32 am

Kristina's dress was so beautiful.

Julien's outfit was louder than him.

I found the white stripes down the sides of Patrick's trousers annoyingly distracting.

Sophie totally looked the part.

And I think the older (and slightly larger) ladies and being dressed much better this year (so far).
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:40 am

Sid wrote:

I found the white stripes down the sides of Patrick's trousers annoyingly distracting.

Totally agree. Actually, I found myself getting a bit trouser-fixated during the show.  Firstly,  hypnotised  by Kevins stripy tango trousers...then Patrick was wearing identical ...then A.nton appeared to be wearing the wrong trousers... and then Ben's trousers looked like they were slipping down.  Out of the mens costumes, I thought Mark and Ashley got the best deal by far. I quite liked Julians outfit too, the table-top routine reminded me of an Adam and the Ants video.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:49 pm

jingle wrote:and then Ben's trousers looked like they were slipping down..
I think that's what you call wishful thinking Jingle Wink

I wanted to add, I didn't like Susanna's dress. Stick to traditional black or red for a Tango at all times I say.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:33 pm

It wasn't just Jingle having wishful thoughts! Just caught up after Beer Festival weekend! Smile It was definately the night of thr Trousers! That flash of white why? on Patrick's trousers bit off putting & eye popping for Kevin's choice! It is harder to dress the male celebs but Id love to see some velour or more silky trousers or shorts for Ben!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Apparently Cl-audia's back brace dress was another Victoria Beckham design. Have they got a job lot or what? A lemon tart for Tess last week and a humbug for Claudia this week. Who's for a rhubarb and custard creation next week? Dis-arse-ster dar-ling
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:33 pm

With so many contestants still, I’m going to do things in groups......except, Julian and Janette who, stylistically were radically different from any other couple. I rather think that the costume department are trying to impress Julian. As has been said, Janette’s was the outfit of the night....a pop video version of 18th century Spanish court. But the cleverness was actually in Julian’s costume. He has very narrow shoulders. They used the sparkle and vee to give him more shoulder.

Mature ladies: Deborah’s dress was appropriate, clever sleeves, slit on top however hiding the dreaded bingo wings underneath. BUT, saggy bosom, I do wish the costume department would address this, the problem occurs every year. And one of the lines of sequins on the bodice had come adrift, not properly sewn on. A wardrobe person was undoubtedly hiding behind the sofa shrieking. Fiona too was well served, the green in the middle surrounded by the black sequins was flattering, arms well covered; legs on show. Vanessa’s dress was very successful. She has a very difficult figure, hard to divide up her torso. The jeweled band was set exactly at her narrowest point. Nice full layered skirt, balancing her top half very well. A note here, in the length of her Latin dress, Susanna seems to be asking for wardrobe to keep her dignity.......in spite of the gossip.

Featured Fringe: Pro ladies as usual, but showing heavily among the celebrity ladies, particularly those with slim figures and lovely legs. For Abby that little fringy number gave her curves, she is straight up and down as we could see in the rehearsal footage. The exposed midriff with the x showed off a slim waist. The fringe on the bust and hips added inches. Enjoyed the touch of neon green which stopped the pink from being too sweet. Interesting that they gave Aliash a rather longer shirt with the pink and green on the back. Sophie, a perfect jazz baby. Well done resisting a dark tan! Wouldn’t have worked. Gold fringe for her over an all-in-one (teddies they are called in the US) The Charleston when done with lots of lifts......the shorts as we saw last year with Kimberly are a great choice for Charleston, no knicker flashing. I suspect that they give the ladies wearing them more confidence. Not sure why they banded Brendan's jacket in white. Rachel’s fringe was a bit overwhelming. She has a bust unlike Abbey, the diagonal fringe coming up over her left breast looked a bit lumpy. Pasha’s shirt looked re-cycled.....we have seen these 50s shirts before. It did not look like it had been designed to go with Rachel.

Couple Design Pairs: Already talked about Julian and Janette.....Tony and Aliona looked super, nice to play the diamond shaped jumper and golf theme. Aliona, another fringe, lovely credible length for a sporty skirt, but because of the fringe moved so well. Revisiting Fiona......not sure why Housewives choice was so tweedy. Dave and Karen, great 50’s married couple, in particular, I liked her scrambled egg petticoats and how Dave’s tie matched her skirt. Mark and Iveta......the fringe dress to end all fringe dresses incorporating all the colours in Marks shirt which had the drip quality of the oiled paints between two glass pie plates that they used for lighting effects at sixties concerts. Her gold boots were a nice finish.

Ballroom: I almost included Susanna and Kevin in couple design pairs because they gave him a dogtooth collar using the black and white fabric from her dress. This was the edgiest ballroom dress of the night, asymmetry, curious colour choice, punked out hair.....a wilder image than her Latin outfit. Natalie’s dress, lovely calm colour, definitely change of mood from the swirling fringe of her Latin. The skirt had a great flow, looked to be a nice heavy jersey. Artem too had a touch of the fabric in his bow-tie. Patrick and Anya: classic tango black and red in tulle. with asymmetrical jeweling coming up to the neckline. Patrick’s outfit....not sure....the red shirt and black waistcoat fine....but white stripes on black trousers? Ashley and O.la: he was white tie and tails, nothing to say about that. O.la's dress, pretty pale soft pink with sequin top coming down in star points...Starfish to go with a sea theme? We saw Kristina’s dress on ITT. Very Come Dancing complete with chiffon godets and a feathered hem, the brocaded fabric had very 60s flowers woven into it. Ben’s grey waistcoat and trousers softened his height and size.

Finally the presenters and Darcey: Nearly had a heart attack seeing Claud in some colour on trend with colour blocks. Back in comfort zone with black trouser suit tonight....Phew. Didn’t care for Pink dress on Darcey, not a good colour on her. Tess was elegant last night in the black sequin dress with the open seam detail at the neck.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:35 pm

I liked Rhubarb & Custard the cartoon! Not keen on the trouser suit tonight! Wish C.laudia wear some colour
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:40 pm

As usual Hatlady a detailed explanation in depth! I didn't like Darce's pink dress at all! How would you change the male celebs usual trouser style!? I do like the smoking jacket on the male dancers

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 pm

My favourite costume this weekend was Kristina's waltz dress - I thought it was beautiful and I lliked Fiona and Susannah's outfits too. I thought Karen's costume was very clever and Dave looked good in his suit.

I really enjoyed reading your post Hatlady - I think you said last week that there seemed to be bit of a 50s flavour about the costumes - I have noticed that there have been more shorter and flared dresses for some of the ballroom dances so far this year - I think this is quite 'Come Dancing'..............

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:15 am

Many thanks ladies!
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Such a comprehensive and interesting review hatlady - made for very enjoyable lunchtime reading Smile
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks Sid, the compliments keep me going.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:42 pm

Keep the posts coming please hatlady Smile
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks very much Hatlady, it's nice to hear what somebody who knows what they're talking about thinks!

My favourite "couples" outfits were Tony and Aliona. I know that that Tony's outfit wasn't to everybody's taste, but I thought it worked well for him and matched the spirit of the dance. I thought that Aliona looked stunning. The style and colour of her dress suited her wonderfully and really worked for the dance.
Tina Sparkle
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:07 pm

I thought Aliona looked stunning!  In a night with so many lovely dresses she still shone in that apparently simple golfing get up.  Her hair looked great too.  She is often so overtly sexy but I thought she looked if anything even more attractive than usual in this apparently unsexy outfit.  If it's her last ever show then at least she ended on a costume high.

I am really pleased to see they are using lots of gorgeous greens this year, as green is often overlooked on Strictly and it can be such a flattering colour. Speaking of which, Fiona's dress was great - pretty, sophisticated, flirty (and she looked so young overall).  I loved Natalie's dress, Anya's dress and Sophie's flapper girl look.  I had very mixed feelings about Janette's look - from the waist up I thought she looked stunning but I just didn't think the big skirt worked.  Thought Deborah looked nice too and Abby & Rachel both looked very cute - not exactly an achievement!  Pretty easy to get those two right!  

I am afraid I thought Kristina's dress was a bit boring and bog standard.  Didn't feel the love for it at all!  I hated Susannah's dress (and everything about that look actually).

Also having an off-day, I thought, was O.la's hair, which looked more Nancy Reagan than sex-pot Jordan I thought.

I loved Mark & Iveta's costumes - maybe I have a secret soft spot for Eurotrash but I just loved this - it was so fun, and I loved to see the fun side of Iveta's choreography too.  I was too busy enjoying her choreography, their costumes and his personality to actually notice much about his dancing.

Forgot to mention Julian - I just didn't think this worked. I don't think he has the charisma and presence to carry off a look like that.
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next