Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Costumes 2013

+13
David Tee
lualen
Moova 12
Tina Sparkle
mauveangel09
Poppetlovestango
gingercodgers
Littlebear
B4p
Sid
jingle
saxonsiren
hatlady28
17 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Costumes 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Costumes 2013

Post  jingle Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Tina Sparkle wrote:Thanks very much Hatlady, it's nice to hear what somebody who knows what they're talking about thinks!
Yes, thanks Hatlady, a very interesting analysis as ever.

So far the quality of the costumes seems pretty high in comparison with some other years - no real clangers yet. I particularly liked Sophies charleston dress, and for the men I liked Mark and Julian (but can see your point Littlebear that Julian maybe can't carry off something so dramatic).

The only costume I didn't particularly like at the weekend was Vanessa's blue waltz dress - I think more because of the vivid colour than anything. To me it looked a bit harsh when contrasted with the dark spray tan and her hair colour. I don't think wardrobe have done her many favours yet in both weeks - or maybe she's more of a challenge to dress?
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:56 pm

I’m succumbing to the temptation to use a similar structure to last week’s post.

The Mature Ladies:

I’ve seen many posts where people have said that they liked Deborah’s dress and I would agree that the colours were super for her, but the cut? Essentially, all three; Fiona, Deborah, and Vanessa were wearing what my Jewish girlfriends would call bar mitzvah dresses. The skirts were all full which was their one redeeming feature. The necklines were not great and the beading was glitz without form. VAnessa was further given a diabolical hairdo.

Fringe:

Last week we had good fringe.......This week? Oh my! Why was Karen wearing lampshade white fringe over the white crepe back satin long skirt? Whose idea was it to stick Sophie leftover Charleston gold fringe all over Susannah’s bodice? What was a very beautiful yellow satin number fitted over the hips with chiffon godets suddenly becomes a bit trashy. Natalie had more odd fringe on the slit in her rumba overdress. O.la had O.la fringe......pink appropriate and she wears it well.

Unifying theme for this week’s ball-dresses:

Looked like fitted over the hips satin with chiffon. We had Susannah in the yellow, Anya in peach satin fitted lower with three rows of ruffles. Iveta was in pale blue satin with pink chiffon godets. That was the skirt......Iveta’s top? Bronze sequins with black applique? Why? Looked very odd with the baby colours of the skirt.

Abbey:

I know people have commented on the white knee-socks...... They were fine. Her legs are long enough and slim enough to be divided into two that way. The problem was the shoes. Very high-heeled black sandals? They weren’t right for the 60’s concept AND they made it difficult for her to really move in the jive. Virtually flat mary janes with a strap would have completed the 60’s schoolgirl look and she would have been able to dance.

Patrick:

Wardrobe have decided to stick with a particular character for him, cool black dude. This week his black suit had defined white chalk lines with a white tie. The two tone black and white shoes from last week made another appearance.

Dave:

Well wardrobe have decided to make him the comedy character. Honestly, how can anyone do a Paso Doble with a row of big red hearts on your cape? Then there was all the gumph on the back of the jacket: name insignia etc. A nod to the motorcycling with the black leather jacket itself would be fine. The jacket itself was subtle and not too much.

Fiona:

Like I have already said didn’t like it much, but had the jeweling risen higher to show off her shoulders, the overall shape would have changed and might have worked. A.nton was A.nton in navy jacket and white trousers.

Rachel:

This was my favorite dress. Gorgeous all over ultramarine with turquoise sparkle, loved the fullness at the bottom of the skirt and the slightly longer bit at the back. But why the Essex hair? It wasn’t flattering and she was uncomfortable with it. They seem to be saving money on Pasha this year with re-cycled costume: wife-beater vest and black braces.

Mark:

Dark suit and skinny black tie.....okay...nothing bad about that.

Ben:

The half undressed rumba look, no jacket and untied tie. Having said that, I will be surprised if they ever put a jacket on him. He is so big and tall that he could look scary and very rocklike. Kristina in pro girl rumba peach half chiffon dress over a jeweled bikini.

Sophie:

The top of the dress was okay, certainly samba colour, but the multi ruffled skirt was clunky and didn’t move. Brendan looked fine, the colour of the shirt, the casual jacket.

Julian and Janette:

Blues Brothers concept, perfect, anything really colourful and Julian is going to look very silly and over the top. The costume department is very much on his side. The female interpretation that Janette wore was as good in its own way as last week’s dress.

Susannah:

I’ve already said all I need to. Kevin was irreproachable in white tie and tails.

Vanessa:

Very hard colour which was okay for tango, but the dress did her not favours. However, hers was a formal look. James in his purple tie and braces looked more casual....Was this a kind of pick up a bit of rough in a bar?

Ashley:

Hmm, well not sure why people have been worried by the flapping shirt. We’ve seen that so many times on Artem and Pasha?

Natalie:

Interesting that it was on a full leotard base rather than the bikinis that the pro women prefer. Lovely blue colour. I get that the yuck fringe gave the edges of the overdress some weight so they would move better, but another solution? Maybe more jeweling along the hem?

Deborah:

Again we have a very dressed up woman with a man not wearing a jacket. Why? In this case Robin had a blue tie and a white shirt.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Abbey:

I quite liked the socks! She's got good legs, and she's pretty and tall enough to get away with a look that most people would like to have a go at but couldn't ever carry off so can't say I blame her for doing it! I thought her overly-high heels were the cause of most of her problems though - she definitely needed much lower shoes.

Patrick & Anya/Anja (spelling?)

They both looked nice enough but forgettable, which is the story of their whole Strictly experience so far - nice but forgettable in all respects.

Dave:

I suspect everything about this dance/costume was a bit marmite. Me? I thoroughly enjoyed the absurdity of it all, including Dave 'trying to look all fierce with hearts on his cape, and Karen's *cough* unusual ensemble.

Fiona:
I thought she looked beautiful. The only thing I would have changed was her hair, which looked a little too much coiffeured - I could see what they were trying to achieve (I am a big fan of that film!) but her more relaxed, frouffy look last week was much more flattering.

Rachel:
I liked the colour but hated the shape which made a beautiful body look a bit skewiff.

Mark:

I could see the reasoning as a Madness tribute but I thought it was unflattering - he'd have looked much smarter in something more Fred Astaire.

Ben:

I don't like the undone bow-tie really, as it's cheesy - but otherwise he looked gorgeous. I think she could have done with a few more scraps of clothing on. It was just verging on too close to Argentine Strictly for me!

Sophie:

Loved it.

Julian and Janette:

Mercifully the kittens woke up and started distracting me at this point so I wasn'[t able to cringe too much during the dance, but what I saw of the costumes looked fine (shame about the dancing). Didn't they do almost the same look for someone last year though?

Susannah:

She looked lovely. Didn't notice him. Kittens though ...

Vanessa:

Kittens .... thank goodness ... Oh I have just remembered, I thought her hair looked a bit pretty (if a bit trashy).

Ashley:

I hated both their outfits - I quite enjoyed the dance but I can't begin to say how much I hated their outfits!

Natalie:

I loved this. I thought Vicky's reference to "some people not being able to wear white" on Thursday was odd though. I'd have thought that if anyone could wear white it would be Natalie. Her figure is gorgeous, her skin tone is gorgeous - didn't she wear white and look stunning for her cha cha?

Deborah:
She looked beautiful and the colour was great. Sorry - I didn't notice Robin at all so can't comment!
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:47 pm

I thought there were a few costume 'slip ups' this week and I agree Hatlady that the mature ladies were not served particularly well except for Deborah whose dress IMO was more flattering.  I also really liked Deborah's hair and make-up soft and stylish - she looked very good.  In contrast who on earth came up with the freakish hair-do that Vanessa had?  Heinous!  Would have looked so much better worn up. I liked the colour of the dress but not the style.   I didn't think Fiona's costume did a lot for her - colour/skirt length but I can see where they were coming from with the Grace Kelly look.  I just prefer the longer length dresses and not mid-calf which we seem to be seeing a lot of this year I think that the mid-calf can be unforgiving for some.

I hated Abby's white socks - if they had been real boots then fair enough, I thought they accentuated all the flaws in the dance.   I loved Rachel's cha cha dress,  the colour was superb and so was Susanna's gold 'autumn leaves' dress. The pro dresses were ok but none of them particularly stood out for me this week - I too thought that Karen's paso doble dress was a bit odd.  I did however love the dresses in the Pro Viennese Waltz  tonight.

Last edited by mauveangel09 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : full stop in the wrong place)

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:51 pm

I know nothing about the technicalities of dance clothing but I know I like some outfits more than others:

Abbey - I would have liked to have seen a contrast with Alijaz's outfit, something like a white go-go dress with black patterns or half white, half black vertical blocks. I think some lower heeled white boots would have been more in a 60's theme. Not keen on socks with those high sandals. Some Dusty Springfield panda eyes would have suited her too.

Not too keen on that shade of purple for Vanessa's dress and used in Karen's paso dress. Karen's lipstick reminded me of a morgue's occupant. Seemed very harsh compared to the white sections of the dress and her complexion. Didn't care for Vanessa's Paso hair style.

Wasn't sure about Fiona's hair doo. Very Barbara Cartland.  I hope they dress Fiona in something a bit more zingy in style and colour.

I loved Deborah's dress (please let Fiona share some of her clobber). I thought the style and colour as dashing as the dance.

I liked the colour and style of Rachel's dress.

I thought Julien looked more macho in the shades. Shame he couldn't wear those for the Paso. I liked the Blues Brother's outfits.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:23 pm

Great review as always Hatlady Smile

This point isn't directly about her outfit (though it impacts on the overall look) but I don't generally like the way they style Susanna's hair or do her make-up. It always looks a bit.......harsh?
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Yikes!! Rachel is risking the Curse of the Lady Trousers!!! Not sure that's advisable at this stage in the proceedings.

Actually, the dress rehearsal pics suggest costume department are having an Off Day. Let's just hope it's just the photographers having an off day and taking unflattering pictures.
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:08 pm

The Lady Trousers oops better point toes be light and slick then Rachel! Why so early for the cursed LT?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:01 am

I could not believe the Lady trousers! They were an unflattering colour, didn't do enough to aid the dancing. All Rachel's mistakes were magnified. Not helped by the strange red hat which looked like a rejected effort from the Great British Bake Off. Just UGH.
On the other hand I loved Natalie's outfit. I think that too was "trousers" but aided every move and they looked amazing.
Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:01 am

Will probably not post today. Am throwing a party and there is so much to do. However, I like the trousers, particularly on ladies with long legs. I like being able to see the footwork. It is a wonderful fun period alternative to the long dresses. Finally, don't forget Camilla wore lady trousers for the fabulous final with Tom Chambers. The whole look was intended as a Bonnie and Clyde, hence the little red hat. That should clarify the bank robber theme. Films from that period went very fast Keystone cops style, very right for Quickstep.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:10 am

I forgot Camilla had been a fan of Lady Trousers & she won the trophy wearing them too.Enjoy your party Hatlady
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:38 am

I really look forward to Pashas quicksteps, he seems to build them around a clear 'need to run' story, with the music and costumes to match. Chelsee's airport routine was one of my all time favourites, and also Kimberleys quickstep on the Hollywood theme last year.  After reading your comments hatlady, I've rewatched Rachels quickstep and the costumes do look a lot more understandable to me now.

My favourite costumes from last night were Natalie and Artems black and white, I loved the cut and the kaleidoscope effect when she was spinning round. Wardrobe seem to have a thing for white stripes down the mens trousers this year - I thought it was very effective for their dance.

My other favourite was Janettes coloured tin foil salsa outfit (she does seem to be getting a lot of very nice designs, I wonder why!). I didn't so much like Juliens though, looked like a child had glued random shiny bits onto his shoulder.

I thought Abbey looked like her hair and make-up weren't finished, and the long red dress was a bit strange. It was so billowy that I thought it masked some of her very sharp footwork and kicks. Despite that, I loved their dance, Aljaz is a great choreographer.

Hope you have a great party Hatlady:) 
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:49 pm

I liked Rachel's outfit and the shout-out to Bonnie and Clyde, but I did think that the trousers were a bit unforgiving in terms of her footwork.

Actually, I really like Karen's dress. We don't see the darker colours so often (they're not used often in real-life competition either because they don't stand out so much) and I thought that her dress made a nice change - very subtle, elegant and understated.
Tina Sparkle
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:58 pm

I really liked Fiona's Rhumba dress - I thought it was very flattering and a great style and colour- much better than the waltz outfit from last week. My other favourites were Sophie in her ethereal sparkly Foxtrot dress - loved the way her hair was styled and I also liked Susanna's outfit - very different and it suited her I thought. Didn't like the lady trousers I'm afraid - I don't dislike them per se - I remember F lavia was quite a fan as well, but you have to be very good at the dance and R achel wasn't! It was a far too ambitious routine from Pasha - he is a great choreographer I agree, but you need to 'cut your cloth' according to your celeb I think! He just isn't doing this, so fair play to the girl for even keeping up with it!

The other costume that didn't work for me was Deborah's - wouldn't have been too bad without those terrible shoes which looked like she was working on a hospital ward!

On the pro side, I also liked Karens waltz dress.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  lualen Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:35 pm

Have to say I didn't like Deborah's shoes either. Many of the ladies wear flat shoes for the jive, but those were just awful - they looked really heavy and cumbersome. (As somebody else said, reminded me of those awful things Pamela wore once!!!). I also didn't like the silver pencil skirt she had on underneath the red one - whose idea was it to put her in a tight skirt for a jive???

Another thing I didn't like was Abby's hair - looked as though it had just been pulled back any old way into a pony tail.

Awaiting Hatlady's comments later with interest!!
lualen
lualen

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Rachel's costume looked much better in action than in the rehearsal pic, but it was unforgiving for her footwork. Natalie's lady trousers were fabulous though! Natalie looked odd until she was dancing but then the whole thing - costumes, lights, music, choreography, execution - it all worked brilliantly together.

Dresswise - gorgeous frocks for Sophie. Karen, Suzannah & Fiona. Gosh if Fiona had just as danced as elegantly as she looked!

Poor Deborah - what were they thinking of? Those shoes were even worse than Pammie's traffic warden shoes - they looked like they were completely preventing her from pointing her toes.

Wasn't keen on Abbey's tango dress. Good colour but too billowy and hid a lot of the (no doubt excellent) movement.
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:38 pm

My favourite dress of the night put a vest on you strumpet's! A gorgeous floaty dress beautiful. I did like Janette's fringe style outfit too.I didn't like Lady Trousers,tight silver foil skirt,grandma's shows from the WI,Nat's poodle style hair or Abbey's pulled through a bush backwards hairstyle.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:01 am

VERY LATE......I KNOW.......but I thought not to do last week’s costumes was to leave a hole....

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE CONTROVERSIAL....

Okay, Rachel’s trousers....as I said in a short post: Perfect, Bonnie and Clyde, suggesting the keystone cops speedy films.....a Quickstep, mad frantic movement, nice theme.  I like the trousers.  The fit over the bum is very sexy, far sexier than O.la’s or Kristina’s jeweled bikinis.  What I want to know is why people don’t like them?

Then, people did like Natalie’s outfit.....which were actually culottes......Even better we got a practical explanation from the costume designer.  Splitting the skirt, splits the weight making it easier to move in a fast dance.  Liked the colour reversal on Artem, black trousers with white stripes, white tailcoat, white cumberband, black shirt with white tie.

Julian and Janette, the good and bad combo.....Janette’s was successful multi-coloured shiny fringe.....but what was the ‘corsage’ on Julian’s shoulder.....if a date brought such a thing to me, he would be shown the door.  Personally, I thought they looked like they were going to do a Samba rather than a salsa.

Deborah......well they decided to copy the Bucks Fizz look.....The red was better than the alternative which was yellow which wouldn’t have been wonderful with her colouring.  The original had a blue skirt.  That would have cut Deborah in half and because of the length like she was standing in a ditch.  The problem was the silver pencil skirt.  It is absolutely true that during the 40s and 50s girls did jive and lindy hop in pencil skirts, but for Deborah the cut must have made her feel like she was back at the office.  More importantly, I think it cramped her movements.  With Robin.....one starts with the wig and comes to a halt....

Abbey:  Haute Couture runway fashion comes to Strictly.  The make-up was definitely a very high fashion look.  Someone was indulging themselves.  Flame chiffon dress which I thought worked with the tango in a modern way without being tricky.  On the other hand Aleash’s flame and black scarf looked a bit self conscious.

O.la: On the one hand lovely flowing white chiffon......but why the O.la thigh high splits.  Ashley’s delicate symphony of pale greys.

Middle of the Road:

Ben and Kristina.......blue, both showing skin.....what else is new.

Patrick and Anya....purple......predictable

Dave and Karen....not inspired but certainly in keeping with the formal straight way they played it.

THE GOOD

For me, Fiona’s slit-sided sheath was the dress of the night, a  stunning design for a mature lady doing a Rumba.  Not convinced by A.nton in casual navy shirt and grey trousers.....given how very dressy Fiona’s dress was, I think going the direction that Ben’s Rumba look would have been better.

Sophie’s dress was beautiful, I know some think the colour was too pale for her.  I loved the high neck coupled with the backlessness.  Then all the cool elegance flaring into shocking pink feathers.  Brendan in white tie and tails...nothing need be said.

Mark and Iveta.....the whole hog.....gold shirt, gold chains, dropped crotch trousers.  He could carry it all and gave the audience the whole package of MC Hammer.  Iveta’s short black dress with gold sleeve stripes was good for setting off her partner, rather than stealing focus from her partner.

Susannah....we’d seen the dress close up on the  ITT Thursday costume spot, wonderful detail.  The interesting thing was how short it ended up being, much shorter than her first Latin dress which put her in the mature lady crowd of Fiona, Vanessa and Deborah.  Interesting to see how this proceeds.  Kevin’s outfit, again highlighted his partner in that he looked like a geek.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:16 pm

Another great review Hatlady. Im not sure why I don't like the Lady Trousers just personal choice I guess.Im not keen on culottes either.I just associate SCD with chiffon dresses.silk floaty dresses.short glitter basque dresses.
The pencil skirt style IMO hampered Deborah's movements.
I always thought Hatlady each female cekeb given a pair of pink ballroom training shoes? Sometimes in training Ive seen them worn.Why do some of the couples practise in flat shoes or bare feet henious crime! Surely you need to break your shoes in & your feet?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks for getting round to doing your costume review hatlady :)I did miss it.

On Rachel's outfit. I think sometimes the dance itself influences what I think about an outfit, especially if it's something unusual. If the QS had been danced brilliantly, I reckon people would have been effusing about Rachel's look - because the dance would have made the look work and vice versa. Don't know if that makes any sense?!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Just had a look at the costumes for night in the dress rehearsal pics. I know the pics don't always give a good indication, but it looks like a less controversial night. Just have to say "wow" at Sophie's gorgeous jewel green cha cha dress. It looks stunning. (I'm still loving all the green this year!). Sophie's path to the final and presumable victory seems to be being laid out before her and polished all shiny and clean, with a series of fabulous frocks, great tunes, and last dance of the night slots. Wardrobe clearly enjoying dressing her.
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:35 pm

Littlebear wrote:Just have to say "wow" at Sophie's gorgeous jewel green cha cha dress. It looks stunning. (I'm still loving all the green this year!). Sophie's path to the final and presumable victory seems to be being laid out before her and polished all shiny and clean, with a series of fabulous frocks, great tunes, and last dance of the night slots. Wardrobe clearly enjoying dressing her.
Lilbear don't jinx it for her! (or me!)
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:43 pm

I don't think I am that powerful a witch Sid!
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Frock of the night to Sophie in the gorgeous green.

Also liked Deborah's, though I did wonder why Robin had turned up dressed for an Argentine Tango. Oncre the dance started, I got it, but the colours made it too tango really.

Natalie - just OK, apart from the bow arrangement which really added to her booty shaking so was a good addition.

Fiona, loved the neckline. Thought they could have done with making the skirt a little younger in style and a little less Come Dancing.

Abbey- gorgeous

Rachel - good dress, shame she was just too angular in her movements to make it work.

Susannah - really really beyond hideous. What were they thinking of?

dave & Karen - well amusing, and in keeping I suppose. But I am bored now.

Iveta - gorgeous as usual

Kristina - nice enough, nothing special

put a vest on you strumpet - - yawn.

Anya - as you'd expect for a pro salsa dress.
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Loved Abby's dress the frock of the night for me.
Suzanna's dress eww yellow peril not keen at all
Deborah's dress I loved the jacket collar detail added to it.
Sophie's dress I liked the colour just not sure of the style
Tess' dress loved the V detail on the waist & colour.
Darcey's dress looked as if at the last minute she had decided to bind her chest! Chopped the top half up- Ghastly ear rings too!
Karen's tuti fruiti dress OTT. imo
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next