Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Dance This Week?

+13
Poppetlovestango
TANGOLERO
Sid
lualen
allsewnonbyhand
fiftynotout
diamondsandpearls
Wallflower
hatlady28
cellar-door
saxonsiren
mauveangel09
B4p
17 posters

Page 2 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 26  Next

Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Dance This Week?

Post  B4p Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:12 am

Hi Sid

Maybe it's tactics to get a hard dance out of the way before the real voting starts? Like you say, not the easiest of dances, particularly for the overdoses of arm-o-graphy we've had over the past few years.

What dance do you think Pixie's got?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:20 am

Hi CD

I thought jive then thought it looked a bit pedestrian for a jive. Then again it IS early days. It looked a more theatrical clip than a typical jive routine. If it is a jive, I hope they put some more jive-ass meat on the bones over the coming week or I can see L en's favourite 'faffing abarrt' phrase coming in.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:32 pm

Thom's training VT is on the main Beeb site. Learning the waltz and not looking too shabby despite him saying it all went wrong.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:35 pm

First dances so far:

Frankie - Waltz
Judy - Waltz
Caroline - Cha-Cha-Cha
Pixie - Jive
Alison - ? Waltz

Greg - Cha-Cha-Cha
Mark - Cha-Cha-Cha
Scott - Cha-Cha-Cha
Jake - Waltz
Thom - Waltz

Last edited by B4p on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pique)
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Dance this week

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Didn't Susanna and Kevin do a jive on the first week last year? As I remember and as you would expect, it was not very technical and not a good idea in my book to be doing a dance like this on the first week - but then again I think a lot gets forgiven in the first few weeks if the dance is perceived as a 'hard'one and the performance packs a punch which I'm sure Pixie's will, so could be one of those strategic choices................Re Steve and O la - surely they wouldn't give someone a samba on the first week!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:53 am

B4p wrote:Hi CD

I thought jive then thought it looked a bit pedestrian for a jive. Then again it IS early days. It looked a more theatrical clip than a typical jive routine. If it is a jive, I hope they put some more jive-ass meat on the bones over the coming week or I can see L en's favourite 'faffing abarrt' phrase coming in.

Probably first day, can't do something TOO technical, I hope.

Thom looks good with his footwork, like he's quite precise. But his handsomeness is quite distracting.

The Ali-squared clip was good, she has that hip action going on. But I hope she will never ever utter the word "Glittah" ever again! EVER!!!

They look relaxed together, but please don't go down the Lisa Riley route... Phulease! *begging desperately*
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi CD
Is Alison doing a jive? I thought I saw some New Yorkers but then thought is it a jive after all? Her enthusiasm is infectious. Alijaz seems a nice guy.

I guess my thoughts on Pixie's clip was great synchronicity with Trent and timing but when I think Jive, I think rock n roll, speed, kicks, flicks, hands in the air, feet going hell for leather. In fairness they might have just been working on a small section and at the mercy of whoever's editing.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:00 am

Re Alison:

It is worth looking on Youtube at Amber Riley and Derek Hough on Dancing With The Stars. Amber is a large lady. They won but unlike Lisa, Amber learnt the dances and her feet move. They did a jive in the second week. The judges while applauding the performance and energy did say she was a bit flat-footed. I have to say that looks to be true but the speed was impressive.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:06 am

Im going to root for Alison and Tim the first week! Im not struck re Greg or Pixie or Jackie so hopefully one of these trio will take the first walk
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:59 am

B4p wrote:Hi CD
Is Alison doing a jive? I thought I saw some New Yorkers but then thought is it a jive after all? Her enthusiasm is infectious. Alijaz seems a nice guy.

I guess my thoughts on Pixie's clip was great synchronicity with Trent and timing but when I think Jive, I think rock n roll, speed, kicks, flicks, hands in the air, feet going hell for leather. In fairness they might have just been working on a small section and at the mercy of whoever's editing.

Ali is definitely doing cha-cha. Maybe I'll like Alijaz more this series. Last series he was nice too. But maybe this year the pressure to be 'too competitive' is less and he'll let his personality show even more.

Pixie will be at at unfair disadvantage, as people (even the judges) will assume she could do much more. So I hope th pro will not let her off too easily, otherwise she'll be slated I think.
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Simon and K.ristina's jive training clip up now. Gosh, they are both SO competitive. It's like Jason Donovan all over again, except Simon looks like he's not as 'bizarre' as Jason...
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:43 pm

B4p wrote:Hi Sid

Maybe it's tactics to get a hard dance out of the way before the real voting starts? Like you say, not the easiest of dances, particularly for the overdoses of arm-o-graphy we've had over the past few years.

What dance do you think Pixie's got?

Soz B4, only just saw your message!

I still don't know how much (if any) say the pros have in the running order of their dances through the course of the series. If they do, then I'd probably get the Samba out the way early too!

P.ixie's got the Jive apparently. Was reading on DS from someone who seems to know about dance and according to them the Jive (whist quite fast and furious) isn't the hardest of dances to learn technique-wise so maybe a good one to start with. Didn't so Susanna & Kevin any harm (in fact their Jive went down a storm week one!).

There's been some talk about P.ixie's previous experience. I wonder if anyone knows her background?
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi sid

I believe Pixie started Stage School at age 8, and was also a child actress, although at the moment her main thing seems to be singing.

Simon looks like he's also doing the jive.

Steve is doing ballroom. I thought I saw some lock steps and spins but I'm not a dancer. CD - any more info on Steve's dance?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Dance this week?

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:56 pm

Re: Suzanna and Kevin - yes their jive did go down a storm and being the first week the judges weren't too strict on the old 'kicks and flicks' requirements because they appeared to be so impressed that someone had tackled the dance at such an early stage and made a half decent job of what is often seen as a 'harder dance' - so yes, I think for someone who has shown an aptitude (which P ixie obviously has) and is experienced in putting on a good show it is an excellent strategic choice for that first week.......................................... Neutral

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:07 pm

First dances so far:

Frankie - Waltz
Judy - Waltz
Caroline - Cha-Cha-Cha
Pixie - Jive
Alison - Cha-Cha-Cha
Sunetra ?
Jennifer ?

Greg - Cha-Cha-Cha
Mark - Cha-Cha-Cha
Scott - Cha-Cha-Cha
Jake - Waltz
Thom - Waltz
Simon - Jive
Steve -
Tim ?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:18 am

B4p wrote:Hi sid

I believe Pixie started Stage School at age 8, and was also a child actress, although at the moment her main thing seems to be singing.

Simon looks like he's also doing the jive.

Steve is doing ballroom. I thought I saw some lock steps and spins but I'm not a dancer. CD - any more info on Steve's dance?

Blimmin' O.la, doing all her usual pivots pivots and even more pivots again! It looks like waltz, but could very well be a foxtrot. But I suspect it's a waltz. But O.la, as we ALL know what she did with Chris Hollins, she had knee slides for latins, and pivots and pivots for ballroom. I am bored already before they even started their routine. Rolling Eyes
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:12 pm

I know exactly where you are coming from CD - O la is O la and all her partners have to fit in with it - rather than her fitting to the partner!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Sunetra's training clip is up on the main Beeb site. ? a Waltz
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:41 pm

I guessed at Tango, but I could be wrong!

It doesn't look like this dancing lark is going to come naturally to Sunetra, unfortunately, but it's very early days of course.

I so wish Steve had been paired with someone else. I also find O.la's choreography quite formulaic and I'm not convinced she'll get the best out of him and make him shine. But then, I think a lot of the better choreographers amongst the female pros have gone (Lilia, F.lavia, Anya, E.rin, Katya etc).
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallflower Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:55 am

Dances and song choices now up on BBC website.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/posts/Week-One-Strictly-songs-revealed

Hope that works as a link. Some "Interesting" song choices there !
Wallflower
Wallflower

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:11 pm

First weeks music and dances now confirmed on main Beeb site:

Alison and Aljaz -  Cha Cha to ‘I’m Every Woman’ by Chaka Khan.
Caroline and Pasha - Cha Cha to ‘Can You Feel It?’ by The Jacksons.
Mark and Karen - Cha Cha to ‘I’m Your Man’ by Wham!
Gregg and Aliona - Cha Cha to ‘Hot N Cold’ by Katy Perry.
Scott and Joanne - Cha Cha to ‘Rock DJ’ by Robbie Williams.
Tim and Natalie - Cha Cha to ‘Shop Around’ by Captain & Tennille.

Frankie and Kevin - Waltz to ‘Someone Like You’ by Adele.
Judy and An ton - Waltz to ‘Mull Of Kintyre’ by Wings.
Thom and Iveta - Waltz to ‘You Raise Me Up’ by Westlife.

Pixie and Trent - Jive to ‘Shake It Off’ by Taylor Swift.
Jennifer and Tristan - Jive to ‘Happy’ by Pharrell Williams.
Simon and Kristina - Jive to ‘Good Golly Miss Molly’ by Little Richard.

Steve and O la - Tango to ‘Born To Be Wild’ by Steppenwolf.
Sunetra and Brendan - Tango – to “Bad Case Of Loving You (Doctor Doctor)” by Robert Palmer.
Jake and Janette - Tango to ‘Toxic’ by Britney Spears.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:51 pm

B4p wrote:Frankie and Kevin - Waltz to ‘Someone Like You’ by Adele.
Judy and An ton - Waltz to ‘Mull Of Kintyre’ by Wings.
Thom and Iveta - Waltz to ‘You Raise Me Up’ by Westlife.

Strange that Frankie's and Thom's waltes had song in 4/4 beat (i.e. foxtrot). Not the usual 3/4 waltz beat.
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Just been listening to some of the tunes on youtube.

There seems to be quite a varied pace between the Cha-Cha choices. Not sure that Chaka Khan (though I love her) would strike me immediately as a Cha-Cha. My favourite tune out of this group would be The Jacksons. It has a strong beat, which I think beginners need to help keep them on track, particularly on their first outing in public.

None of the Waltz choices thrill me I'm afraid. The Scot's link with 'Mull of Kintyre' for Judy was toooooooo predictable, and the other two just aren't waltz stuff are they? Surely it must be harder for beginners to get and maintain the 1,2,3 rhythm on a 4/4 beat?

All 3 Jive tunes seem lively, upbeat and fun, but I'm expecting Simon to steal it with the Little Richard choice.

Tango's - well, not what I expected to see on week 1, but Jake might just be able to do 'Toxic' some justice. I don't rate the tango tune choices much. I prefer the more traditional Tango music for the drama, atmosphere and scene setting. Maybe I'm just not 'Street' enough, but then again, I couldn't imagine Fl avia & Vincent doing a Tango to 'Steppenwolf'.  Great to Mosh too but Tango? Naaaaaarh. Poor Steve
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 2 Empty Re Which Dance this Week

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi Wallflower

Haven't looked at the website yet - but when I saw 'interesting' song choices - I thought 'Groan-here we go' Very Happy

Although I am looking forward to it all finally starting!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:43 pm

Just saw all the other posts about the song choices.................

Yes agree 'interesting' agree about the Tango choices - and agree B4P - poor Steve - on a number of levels!!!!

I thought they were being sensible about the 'first' dance choices this year - but I just don't think the Tango is right for week one. Also - what is it with SCD now that seems to be Tango= rock track - the trouble is that both of these tracks will I fear induce a 'stomp around the floor' because on week one it just isn't fair to expect a proper Tango technique which could be achieved with these tracks, later in the contest.

Just another observation - whenever I hear Pharrell Williams - 'Happy' I always have a cha-cha rhythm in my head not jive - but it is nevertheless a good choice because it is such an uplifting track which makes you want to dance!!!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 26  Next