Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Little Bit of Honesty.

+16
Poppetlovestango
hatlady28
B4p
diamondsandpearls
fiftynotout
allsewnonbyhand
cellar-door
1superken
mauveangel09
TANGOLERO
Sid
saxonsiren
CaledonianCraig
lualen
Wallflower
Tina Sparkle
20 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 22 Empty Re: A Little Bit of Honesty.

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Hello everyone, sorry to arrive so late at the after party, but I wanted to watch the show before going anywhere near my iPad and news!
Well, I can't have any arguments about the final as the elimination went as I wished. On reflection, I think I enjoyed Simon's showdance the most and he would have got my votes I think, as I think that his j-word was the best of the final three. I might be a lone voice but I did actually like Caroline's Showdance although I was disappointed in the yards of material- i don't think it had the effect I was imagining beforehand. Frankie's was neat and fun without being wow although it was quite sweet that she had her SOM moment. Any one of those three was a worthy winner.

I am so glad that all the finalists get to do a showdance, it never felt right that one person didnt used to in the past. Regarding the judges choice- surely they should apply their rationale consistently- ie is a dance that was messed up /weak that they want to see improvement on, or what? Also in broad agreement that there needs to be a mix of ballroom and Latin somehow too. Although the voting is open for all of the second half, it does seem a bit of a disadvantage for the person going last.

Gutted that I was unable to watch the red button, which seems like a good compromise on the old dilemma of no ITT, I don't recall this before or have I been missing something all these years?

Having read through all your comments, I can't remember who said it, sorry, but I also enjoyed the final more for not having an outright favourite.

I'm not even going to attempt to step in between Mr T and CC but for what it's worth I think the fabu-u-lus darling one's 10s are the most valued for being so hard won, but I think he was mean not to have allowed Frankie 4 10s, I don't know what he was looking for. I have found that the judge whose comments have most often reflected my own this year has been Brun0, when he is making constructive comments.

All in all, I enjoyed the final more than I have in the last couple of years and have no gripes with the winner although I would have loved to see Simon and Kristina pick up the glitterball.
It always feels sad after the final, no more debates, no more sharing the love of strictly with like minded peeps. Thank you all, here's to next year and the Xmas special by way of consolation. Wishing you all a very Happy Christmas and a happy healthy new year.
cheers rendeer
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:15 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:.

I'm not even going to attempt to step in between Mr T and CC .

Oh its no big deal, TANGOLERO is a poster I respect greatly and what we are having is a mere difference of opinion but we won't fall out over it. Very Happy
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 22 Empty Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:17 pm

I don't want to interrupt the discussions and I don't know whether this is the right time to do this but I guess some people might soon be disappearing off the forum soon..............so...........

Dear Friends
I have so enjoyed your company and my SCD experience would not be same without sharing views and and comments with you all - the different views are fascinating and I always learn something. I love this forum as some other ones are just too big and there are too many people, threads and comments - here I feel we get to know each other and have conversations, however, a lot of our members have gone by the wayside this year, so lets all make sure we come back next year to ensure that the forum does not shrink any further. Not sure who is responsible for hosting the site/forum but a big thanks to them.

I will be popping in again tonight and tomorrow to see who is still lurking (need to think about my overall favourite performances of the season) and will be here after the Christmas Day Show, but wanted to say at this point:

I hope you all have a very very Happy Christmas and that the New Year brings you good things!!!!!

santa rendeer rendeer rendeer santa santa santa

(BTW - having dance training actually doesn't automatically make you any good at it lol!)

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:31 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Just to add TANGOLERO I do feel we are both in the same camp in wanting better marking as at the moment we both think it is skew whiff. All we disagree on is who is in the wrong and when you think about it both parties are to blame. L.en, B.runo and D.arcey are at fault for over use of tens and soft soaping celebs at times whilst C.raig can be mean at times with his scores and be more cutting with his remarks.

Furry nuff... Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:50 pm

I am still to watch the showdances so cannot comment re lack of tens in the final regarding Frankie.Usually C.raigs marks I feel most of the celebs/pro dancers wait for his magic high score! Or equallly thrive on his abysmal low 2 point paddles as well. Widdy,Russell,Hairy Biker all thrived from his low paddles! L.en this year has been all over the place and im.not sure why? Tiredness or playing the evil judge? B.runo well its just the hysyerical theatrics and Darcey meh!
Fifth ex pro dancer judge required please.
I do like the idea of a league table maybe for the first four weeks all have two latin two ballroom and then a vote off by the piblic of two then three more weeks and three go then
It could save the likes of Thom,Cherie,Austen etc.
Ill pop in and out of forum too Mauve

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:56 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:Also - I know what you mean CD about P asha achieving more than A rtem overall - A rtem could not do comedy you are right, and some of his routines came across as self indulgent - however he was always getting bashed by L en for trying different things -    L en has not bashed others in the same way this year - all part of the crazy unfathomable world of SCD Very Happy Very Happy

I don't like L.en since a couple of series ago. He's always thinking that he's somewhat better than C.raig. Jellus hatah! Very Happy
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:46 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:Hello everyone, sorry to arrive so late at the after party, but I wanted to watch the show before going anywhere near my iPad and news!
Well, I can't have any arguments about the final as the elimination went as I wished. On reflection, I think I enjoyed Simon's showdance the most and he would have got my votes I think, as I think that his j-word was the best of the final three. I might be a lone voice but I did actually like Caroline's Showdance although I was disappointed in the yards of material- i don't think it had the effect I was imagining  beforehand. Frankie's was neat and fun without being wow although it was quite sweet that she had her SOM moment. Any one of those three was a worthy winner.

I am so glad that all the finalists get to do a showdance, it never felt right that one person didnt used to in the past. Regarding the judges choice- surely they should apply their rationale consistently- ie is a dance that was messed up /weak that they want to see improvement on, or what? Also in broad agreement that there needs to be a mix of ballroom and Latin somehow too. Although the voting is open for all of the second half, it does seem a bit of a disadvantage for the person going last.

Gutted that I was unable to watch the red button, which seems like a good compromise on the old dilemma of no ITT, I don't recall this before or have I been missing something all these years?

Having read through all your comments, I can't remember who said it, sorry, but I also enjoyed the final more for not having an outright favourite.

I'm not even going to attempt to step in between Mr T and CC but for what it's worth I think the fabu-u-lus darling one's 10s are the most valued for being so hard won, but I think he was mean not to have allowed Frankie 4 10s, I don't know what he was looking for. I have found that the judge whose comments have most often reflected my own this year has been Brun0, when he is making constructive comments.

All in all, I enjoyed the final more than I have in the last couple of years and have no gripes with the winner although I would have loved to see Simon and Kristina pick up the glitterball.
It always feels sad after the final, no more debates, no more sharing the love of strictly with like minded peeps. Thank you all, here's to next year and the Xmas special by way of consolation. Wishing you all a very Happy Christmas and a happy healthy new year.
cheers  rendeer

I have never been aware of it before either and I have no red button as I have no TV - watch everything on my laptop. But I found the interview on I-player earlier today and so you should be able to watch it too... Yay!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks D&P I'll check it out! Smile
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:53 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

I have never been aware of it before either and I have no red button as I have no TV - watch everything on my laptop.  But I found the interview on I-player earlier today and so you should be able to watch it too... Yay!

That's interesting D&P. My dearly-loved wife watches the most unbelievable crap on TV, so spends a fair amount of time in the lounge doing that ( We watch Strictly together and tea-time programmes such as Pointless and The Chase. I have my own TV in the dining room kitchen but, apart from rare programmes I mainly watch D.V.D's on it. I still have a cassette player and video player (believe it or not) but, like you, watch quite a bit on my pc, where I also play my music. (I've been watching Sense and Sensibility on Youtube tonight). I know of On and Off switches but would probably blow things up with red buttons. Progress in technology seems determined to complicate what was such a simple life not long ago. I am convinced I could quite happily live a life using quill and pen and travelling by horseback and carriage. Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:14 pm

I find if I watch tv only in my laptop I just watch the things I really want to  watch, rather than just watch all the programmes surrounding it as well (eg pointless and Waterloo Road....) I can be a terrible telly addict watching programmes just because I am sat in a chair in front of the tv  I can't seem to make myself switch it off and get up and do something else. As I watch everythng on I-player I have really been relieved of the mindset of HAVING to watch things as they are aired and put other things first and catch up later.  I used to always stay in and watch strictly, but I invariably watch it later on Sat night or on Sunday morning.  TV no longer has the hold over me it used to! But now that Strictly, Apprentice and Masterchef are all but over I will have to find replacements! (And I am very glad that such technology exists which allows me to watch stuff on my laptop either live or later on, as I wish...)

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : It was never TB which had a hold on me - it was TV! Typo corrected.... (after 2nd attempt!))
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:27 pm

So it's over for another year (or eight months at least).  

I did enjoy Strictly 2014, some bits more than others, but I faithfully watched every programme (even if not all live).

The final fell a bit flat for me as soon as the result was announced.  In the end I didn't think Frankie had done enough to win (even though she was my favourite) but I seriously thought Simon had clinched it after his AT.  Actually gutted that Caroline won  Evil or Very Mad

Oh well, congratulations to Pasha & Caroline and thanks to all at Strictly HQ for the terrific entertainment.

It only remains to say I hope all you forumers have a fabulous and relaxing Christmas and a peaceful, healthy and prosperous new year xxxxx
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:52 pm

In ten minutes from now, L en Goodman has a programme on the big-band era. 9-0'clock on Freeview 9. Hope some of you spotted it.

p.s: Freeview 9 is BBC4 so you can get the programme later on i-player,
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:00 am

I've put a post on the 'SCD Main and Results Show' but forgot to say that I wondered why Nathlie Lowe's performance was mentioned in the show tonight but Ian Waite did not seem to get a mention and yet was quite prominent!!!.......................

Really enjoyed the show! bounce

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:47 pm

I can't remember where we post the song choices, but thought it was a good excuse to resurrect the Lil Bit Of Honesty thread!

So here's the Week 1 music folks...

Ainsley and Natalie will be Tangoing to Voulez Vous by ABBA (hope it works better for them than Lisa and Robin!)

Anita and Gleb will be performing the Cha Cha to ‘Rather Be’ by Clean Bandit

Anthony and Oti will be Jiving to ‘Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go’ by Wham!
(reprising Jason & K.ristina's Wembley Jive song I think?)

Carol and Pasha will be performing the Cha Cha to ‘Thunder in My Heart’ by Leo Sayer

Daniel and Kristina will be Waltzing to ‘When Irish Eyes Are Smiling’ by Bing Crosby *groan*

Georgia and Giovanni will be Jiving to ‘Dear Future Husband’ by Meghan Trainor

Helen and Aljaž will be Waltzing to ‘With You I’m Born Again’ by Billy Preston and Syreeta Wright

Iwan and put a vest on you strumpet will be Tangoing to ‘Keep on Running’ by Spencer Davis Group
*groan x 10*

Jamelia and Tristan will be Waltzing to ‘Do Right Woman, Do Right Man’ by Aretha Franklin

Jay and Aliona will be performing the Cha Cha to ‘Reach Out, I’ll Be There’ by Human Nature

Jeremy and Karen will be performing the Cha Cha to ‘September’ by Earth, Wind and Fire

Katie and Housewives choice will be Jiving to ‘Roll Over Beethoven’ by Chuck Berry

Kellie and Kevin will be Tangoing to ‘You Really Got Me’ by The Kinks

Kirsty and Brendan will be Waltzing to ‘Vincent’ by Don McLean

Peter and Janette will be performing the Cha Cha to ‘Aint No Other Man’ by Christina Aguilera
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:43 pm

Sid wrote:I can't remember where we post the song choices, but thought it was a good excuse to resurrect the Lil Bit Of Honesty thread!

So here's the Week 1 music folks...

Daniel and Kristina will be Waltzing to ‘When Irish Eyes Are Smiling’ by Bing Crosby *groan* ( As long as they don't follow it with "Bells of St Mary's" ) lol!

Helen and Aljaž will be Waltzing to ‘With You I’m Born Again’ by Billy Preston and Syreeta Wright. One of the better ones....

Iwan and put a vest on you strumpet will be Tangoing to ‘Keep on Running’ by Spencer Davis Group [/b]*groan x 10* Hey, I like it..
 Very Happy  

Katie and Housewives choice will be Jiving to ‘Roll Over Beethoven’ by Chuck Berry. The most rocking and rolling number of the lot.

TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:51 pm

Bing Crosby Shocked well mmmm will Saturday bring Val Doonican (Rip both )
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 22 Empty Re A little bit of honesty

Post  Poppetlovestango Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi Sid sorry didn't see your post here and have posted the dances on another topic oh well never mind

Unfortunately there are a few songs I've never heard so I'll have to see on Friday/Saturday but
I think Daniel, Kirsty & Helen should be ok with their waltz tunes and Kellie & Iwan with their tangos.

Roll Friday.
Poppetlovestango
Poppetlovestango

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:45 pm

Ah no worries at all Poppet! The thread you posted them on was probably more appropriate anyway x

At least B4 can't say we've not been thorough when he gets back Razz
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:03 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Bing Crosby Shocked well mmmm  will Saturday bring Val Doonican (Rip both )

Not sure that actually relying on corny stereotype stuff like "Irish eyes are smiling" is being fair to Danny O'Donell. In as much as it might please a few Irish folk (and my dad was an Irishman so I'm not bashing anything) , it might have the opposite affect on others and take away from any dance progress he might have made. Stereotyping is pretty gash at best ( I've never yet seen a Spanish dancer with a rose in their teeth , or a matador who shouts "Ole!", a glaring error by Erin Boag for Austin Healey as it looked like he was cheering himself) and if they start hanging giant shamrocks round the studio or dress Daniel as a leprechaun I'm really going to have a giant rant. Irish dancers are brilliant on the whole, but I cant see even Stavros Flatley doing much with a cornball like Irish Eyes. Give the man some music.....No
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:28 pm

Now I have that scene set in my head River dance by Leprechauns! Argh I must resist. clown
I wish this series we had a fans vote for the choice of music a week in advance! Maybe we the viewers could select more suitable choices.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Agree Mr T -  best track of the night is undoubtedly 'Roll over Beethoven!!   followed by a nice bit of Earth, Wind and Fire - love 'September' and should make for a good cha cha.    What's with the 60's tracks for the Tangos??    I too like 'Keep on Running' by the Spencer Davis Group but not for a Tango -   I do think that the Kinks n umber will be make a better Tango - more edgy.  

Join the collective 'groan' for  'Irish Eyes are Smiling' -  (will probably do the 'Wild Rover' as a Viennese Waltz - mark my words)

Overall - I think a few goodies - a few bloopers and please why are they doing the Jive again on week one!!!!! Rolling Eyes   It won't end prettily.............

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:29 pm

Speaking of Irish music, how about an Irish night? (Mind you, the Welsh, Scots and a few others would probably be up in arms and declare war on the B.B.C.,). How I'd love to see a couple of the pros do a slow rumba to one of my favourite ever folk songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-TGJLWEec

or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LryEG629quA&list=PL1ZGEmktIGW8hD7wvYj5oLmhpbVD48HcT&index=14
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:50 pm

Beautiful music.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:04 pm

'She Moves through the Fair' is one of the most beautiful and haunting songs I have ever heard - one of those songs where you keep going over the words, we never find out what happened to her?
This is a good version with the pipes and I can see where you are coming from regarding a 'rumba' - I have heard many versions of this track including an a capella one - I also like the version by Loreena Mckennit. You've now got me thinking about Irish Music, but I keep thinking about the pub stuff - Raggle Taggle Gypsies, Las Vegas in the Hills of Donegal and Irish Rover etc etc - I love a jig to all of them but can't see any of those fitting to ballroom or latin, but there must be a lot of good Irish stuff that would, and I just can't think of it at this time of night.........................You know I liked the 'round the world' theme night and would like to see that again this year.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:43 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:'She Moves through the Fair' is one of the most beautiful and haunting songs I have ever heard - one of those songs where you keep going over the words,  we never find out what happened to her?

The story goes, Mauve, (or at least one theory of which there are many) that the girl became pregnant and moved away (where she seemingly died, although she may also have had an illness). There is a third verse not always sung the goes some way to indicating this:

"The people were saying that no two were wed,
And one had a sorrow that never was said
She smiled as she passed with her goods and her gear,
And that was the last that I saw of my dear."

Effectively, "She Moved through the Fair" is a ghost story and I think that being inconclusive is one of its charms.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next