Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Little Bit of Honesty.

+12
cellar-door
Poppetlovestango
CaledonianCraig
mauveangel09
Twirlie
saxonsiren
TANGOLERO
Sid
Tina Sparkle
B4p
Moova 12
diamondsandpearls
16 posters

Page 12 of 42 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 27 ... 42  Next

Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 12 Empty Re: A Little Bit of Honesty.

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:19 pm

Sid wrote: The dance-off will be Kellie vs Anita or Katie. I'm willing to bet my house on it!

The dance-off will should...be Kellie vs Anita or Katie. My house? With the G.B.P involved  I wouldn't bet a plastic tent on it. No

cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:42 pm

How about a wooden spoon! Very Happy
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:39 pm

Twirlie wrote:
How many bedrooms?  Very Happy

4 - but they actually belong to my folks, so I'm really betting their house Laughing

TANGOLERO wrote:

The dance-off will should...be Kellie vs Anita or Katie. My house? With the G.B.P involved I wouldn't bet a plastic tent on it. No

cheers

After seeing this week's music I'm going to narrow down my prediction further: Kellie vs Anita.

Katie and A.nton are going nowhere but the final!

Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 12 Empty Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Twirlie wrote:I think if either Katie or Anita go up against any of the other three in the dance-off, even Kellie, they'll go out. If Katie and Anita go up against each other...? I think that'll be a much closer run thing. It really will depend on the performances on the night.

Yes I think you are right - I really wouldn't like to foretell this week - it is a real open book, except in Jay's case I think.

I agree with S id that Georgia will get a huge bounce back vote and has a good couple of tracks to show off two very different styles and for me she has really become an all-rounder which to me is very important for a budding finalist. A nita does seem really popular, and again I admire her for tackling different genres well over the weeks and coming so far without the dance background ,but I just can't get rid of my dislike of G leb unfortunately (although of course I realize I'm really in the minority there!) I don't think I've ever really felt that way about a pro before! I think that K atie and A nton again need to avoid the DO to have their chance of staying in - the judges have never been particularly supportive and like Twirlie I fear that they would save Kellie and Kevin over them if that were to be the DO combination - which brings me to the' oom pahs' - again I agree with S id that I don't think they will escape the DO this week but if they are there with A nita or K atie there is a chance they'll still get to the final by being saved by the judges who have supported them and marked them consistently highly ! On a personal level I would prefer others in the final than K+K - and you know if they don't get there I think K evin will be more upset than K ellie somehow! He seems more hungry for his third shot at it, whereas I think she would just go back to the day job with grace, having had a blast in the series.

I have to say I am looking forward to the show this week - Quarter Finals always seem a bit tricky and have a history of shock exits - Austin Healey, Pixie etc - glad it is out of the way - it is the home strait now and still unpredictable as to who the final four will be which is good - when we do get there, I feel this is really a year that will be won or lost on the Showdances. Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:28 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

Yes I think you are right - I really wouldn't like to foretell this week - it is a real open book, except in Jay's case I think.

I agree with S id that Georgia will get a huge bounce back vote and has a good couple of tracks to show off two very different styles and for me she has really become an all-rounder which to me is very important for a budding finalist.   A nita does seem really popular, and again I admire her for tackling different genres well over the weeks and coming so far without the dance background ,but I just can't get rid of my dislike of G leb unfortunately (although of course I realize I'm really in the minority there!)   I don't think I've ever really felt that way about a pro before!      I think that K atie and A nton again need to avoid the DO to have their chance of staying in - the judges have never been particularly supportive and like Twirlie I fear that they would save Kellie and Kevin over them if that were to be the DO combination - which brings me to the' oom pahs' -  again I agree with S id that I don't think they will escape the DO this week but if they are there with A nita or K atie there is a chance they'll still get to the final by being saved by the judges who have supported them and marked them consistently highly ! On a personal level I would prefer others in the final than K+K - and you know if they don't get there I think K evin will be more upset than K ellie somehow!  He seems more hungry for his third shot at it, whereas I think she would just go back to the day job with grace, having had a blast in the series.

I  have to say I am looking forward to the show this week - Quarter Finals always seem a bit tricky and have a history of shock exits - Austin Healey, Pixie etc - glad it is out of the way - it is the home strait now and still unpredictable as to who the final four will be which is good - when we do get there, I feel this is really a year that will be won or lost on the Showdances. Very Happy

I'll join you in your minority Mauve! I find him very self-centred and narcissistic. His choreography is not about taking risks to make the dance genuinely more spectacular or to show off his partner's strengths, it's simply all about him. If a c.leb manages a knee side across the floor it can add to the dance as it's clearly not something their used to doing and adds a bit of drama (esp when you hit your nose o the camera a la Robbie Footballer bloke!) When Gleb does it, it focuses attention on him rather than showcasing something that Anita can do very well.

And also agree about Kevin n Kellie. Kevin came across as the lovely homegrown, easy going, chirpy, cheeky new guy in his first series, in amongst the more serious, mysterious Russians. Now I see him as incredibly competitive, stop at nothing to get the glitterball, with rather too themey, stagey (and table-y!) choreography which I don't find very enjoyable to watch. I am in a minority for not liking the oom pa pa routine with all it's rousing cheerfulnes, but as that nice journalist guy said on ITT yesterday, the VW got lost in all the staging and extras. I'm not a fan of Kellie's, but she is genuinely thrilled to be there and I agree would bow out having had a blast, no hard cheese.

I have to say I don't like it when it rests on the show dance as the more athletic/acrobatic appear to have an advantage. I don't like that style much (if you couldn't do the routine in genuine ballroom or club with other people dancing, then I'm not especially interested - it becomes a stage show or a circus performance rather than a technically refined form of social dancing), but it seems to impress judges and voters alike.

Of the two technically more accomplished dancers I would like G and G to win. She is a great all round dancer, he is a very good choreographer and they are good partnership. Jay, doesn't really reach me (I think you've said that as well Mauve?)

Of the other two, I'm all for Katie. She has an elegance and style, and a partner who has suddenly upped his game and come out of semi retirement to choreograph some lovely dances. Anita puts in every effort but she is a little tiny bit too try-hard for me, and she is handicapped by having a narcissistic partner.

So, I've finally got there - Georgia or Katie for the glitterball!

It'll be Jay, won't it....
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:35 pm

Right now I'd like G&G to win. For me Georgia is the best all-rounder who never fails to deliver a beautiful performance and she's also totally cracked the emotional content. But to be honest I wouldn't be overly upset if any of the remaining couples won. Kelly and Kevin would be bottom of my list and I'm not too crazy about Gleb, but I don't think there's ever been a year before where I've felt that all the final contenders are sp deserving of their places.
Tina Sparkle
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:46 pm

It is a close call this year and an open field. I agree any of the couples could win this year. Not had a year like this for a while thou the year with Lisa Snowden in a close call too.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:13 pm

I have liked GG and Jay and Aliona for some weeks now and if either of those two won I would be happy, although if I had to choose it would be GG. I like Anita because of the J word, probably my least favourite left is Katie. I think this week will be a cracker ( and so it should be after all !) and from now on I think it will be very much the luck of which dances are left and who wows on the night. Anita obviously has the public vote, but did C.raig's plan backfire on him, as I think many people voted for her because he was so mean. I definitely think it was at the expense of GG, as people thought she was safe. ( I still voted for her having learnt my lesson before!)
It's all to play for...any more news on why the change of dance for GG?
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:34 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

If a c.leb manages a knee side across the floor it can add to the dance as it's clearly not something their used to doing and adds a bit of drama (esp when you hit your nose o the camera a la Robbie Footballer bloke!) When Gleb does it, it focuses attention on him rather than showcasing something that Anita can do very well.

I have to say I don't like it when it rests on the show dance as the more athletic/acrobatic appear to have an advantage. I don't like that style much (if you couldn't do the routine in genuine ballroom or club with other people dancing, then I'm not especially interested - it becomes a stage show or a circus performance rather than a technically refined form of social dancing), but it seems to impress judges and voters alike.

Anita puts in every effort but she is a little tiny bit too try-hard for me, and she is handicapped by having a narcissistic partner.

It'll be Jay, won't it....

Great post Diamonds!   Just highlighted some bits above -  totally agree about the showcasing comments and trying too hard about Anita and G leb

Re the Showdances - yes I know what you mean - the last one we saw in the acrobatic style that was done really well was Louis Smith, I don't really like that style either but of course he had to do it and he smashed it, you couldn't help being impressed with what they did. We know that the judges don't tend to like the disco type Showdance -  my heart sank when B rendan and Sophie did a disco Showdance and promptly got knocked out at the elimination stage!  I do think however that in recent years the judges have gone more for Showdances that are more ballroom/latin in origin, particularly if they bring in elements of what the c elebs have done during the series although I think there is a need to make sure that the Showdance doesn't just become another American Smooth which many of them seem to be now.   One disadvantage nowadays with Showdances is that we see so many lifts and tricks during the series that it must be difficult for them to do something really different - and I have thought that in the last few years.

Lastly Diamonds - love your comment about 'serious mysterious Russians'  lol!

and yes - probably will be Jay won't it!!!!! Wink

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:19 pm

Well tonight is semi-final night (already). Where did the weeks go? Anyway it promised so much and in my opinion the show panned out like this:

First up was Katie Derham with a Charleston. It was always going to be a test and I really enjoyed it. The lifts maybe were a bit sticky at times though and not quite so polished. 7 from me. Judges remarks though were a knife to the guts and already you think - nailed on for dance-off. Certainly not worth a 4 from C.raig though.

Jay McGuinness's Viennese Waltz came next and it was, as usual, of a high standard. Did feel his backside was sticking out a bit at times. 8 from me. Very sensible comment from L.en when audience began giving him stick.

Georgia Maye Foote's Cha Cha Cha was just great - lovely movement. And I liked the choreography. 9 from me.

Anita Ranay's Foxtrot had the music but lacked the sparkle for me. Too long wasted at start lying on the piano but it did pick up towards the end. 7 for me.

Kellie Bright's Rumba I always felt this was a make-or-break dance for her. I felt she'd struggle with it and although it was better than I thought it would be she wasn't finishing her lines with her arms. 8 from me.

Round two of the dances and....

Katie had to deliver with her Viennese Waltz and it was a very good effort but to an untrained eye it looked like there were one or two errors. 8 from me.

Jay's Charleston was going so well then got ragged towards the end with errors. 8 from me but could have been near perfect but for the end. Still he is a certain finalist. It does bug me though that it was a clear drop of Ali-ona and the judges brushed over it. Sorry but 37 for a dance with a clear error in it stinks of favouritism and yes I do rate Jay but fairness would be nice in the marking.

Georgia's Viennese Waltz was charming and great movement. Not sure if there was an error I spotted in there. 9 from me. Best dancers at the moment are this couple. Great chemistry.

Anita's Salsa was a great routine. Loved the armography, testing lifts and loved it. 9 from me. Brave routine and she reaped the rewards even though L.en's comments were fair enough.

Kellie's American Smooth had the music for a great routine. Kellie delivered. Superb. The dance of the night from me. 10 from me.

I think Katie and Anita are destined for the dance-off. Anything else will be a surprise for me.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Every now and then the world turns upside down and a few bits fall off. Tonight proved, to some extent, a long held theory that it's the dance more than the dancers, or at least as much as, that gets the votes. Tonight was a proof of this to some degree. A waltz where lifts are banned cannot compete with an American smooth where they are allowed. Add to that some of the cranky music and it becomes hard to equate equality in there. Not to wax too elegant (or other wise) I was left somewhat flat with tonight.

Katie and A nton's charlston was not perfection by any means. Neither was it disastrous, and a 4 from C raig was utterly childish. Two eights and two sevens, it deserved that but not better, would have given them thirty points and at least kept them in touch with the pack. As it is they are almost certainly in the dance off and I can't see the judges saving them. Great shame and somewhat unfair. .4.7.7.7  25.

Katie and Housewives choice. Waltz (why did I think they were doing a Viennese this week?) Housewives choice is probably the best, or at least one of the best ballroom dancers. C raig gave an eight, Darcy a nine and L en and B runo seven each? What gives? An example of my first paragraph. Did that smoke on the floor hide something? Odd. 8.9.7.7....31.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay and Aliona. V.W.
An elegant dance, yet done in a pair of cord britches and braces? Costume excellence? All very elegant and up to Jay's usual standard, yet L en nailed him for natural turns, or lack of. Really, L en? 8.9.8.9....34.

Jay and Aliona. A faff-about start in a tardis then a Charlston. As ever, very competent but that almost drop was an error. They still got three nines and a ten? Love these two but it felt manipulated. Not happy with the irregular judging. 9.9.9.10. 37.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gorgia and Gio. Cha-cha to I will survive. No further comment. Good dancers, crackpot music. 8.8.8.9....33.

Georgia and Gio. Viennese Waltz. Village maypole theme to The Corrs. Smooth and impressive, but not for me, dynamic. Judges didn't agree and were highly impressed. It was very good, but not 10 good. 9.10.9.10. 38.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anita and Gleb..Foxtrot. New York. Flowed along nicely and the marks equaled it out about right. C raig gives a 7, B runo a nine? In a semi final?  7.8.8.9….32.

Anita and Gleb. Stairs again and wacky Freddie Mercury/Sergeant Pepper  style outfits. L en claimed it was lacking salsa rhythm. It was hectic. They rated it at 4 x 8’s 8.8.8.8…32.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kelly and Kev. Rumba. Same old rumba controversy but high scores. Not sure a dance of love where the dancers hardly look at each other is that romantic. Found it balletic and over posed in places. It rated. 9.8.9.8. Decent but nothing exceptional.

Kelly and Kev  American Smooth.
I really could find nothing that I didn’t like just like three of the judges. This is a dance that gives far more rein to impress than some others. Hollywood, Mayfair, tie and tails, diamonds and champagne elegance and Fred and Ginger style dance. What’s not to like.
Kelly hasn’t been a favourite for me, but fair is fair and this was par excellence. Well done both. Definitely dance of the night and ended the show on a high.. 9.10.10.10. 39

I’m afraid the fabu-u-lus darling one is saving himself for a big heroic cheer when he gets his own way with the winner. It’s wrong, but that’s C raig. It's looking like Anita and Katie in the dance-off with Katie leaving sadly. I could, as ever, be wrong.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:10 pm

Katie

My kinda Charleston, a touch of soophistication and class. I'm not into the whole gurn-fest we usually have to endure. That said, I could see flaws and the judge's comments were fair but C.raig's 4 was not! I think it was designed to get people outraged and voting (and will work). 7

The Waltz had the potential to floor everybody, there were glimpses of brilliance, but as is so often the case with Katie the stutters stopped it from being as sensational as it could have been. 8

Jay

Boring Viennese Waltz and by no means danced as well as I thought it would be either. 8

Cool Charleston but he dropped her, so how did they get a 10?! 8.5

Beginning to find Jay more calculating than I thought he was. He really does milk the "aww aren't I sweet and adorable....mollycoddle me" woobie act in the Clauditorium!

Georgia

Song worked better than I thought but the dance (a) lacked spirit and (b) leg-straightening but putting that down to (a) Georgia feeling rough (b) being under-rehearsed. I do generally much prefer her Latin (even if she doesn't). 8

Another competent but twee Ballroom from Georgia followed. Nah, give me Katie's Puccini Waltz with stutters. 8.5

Anita

Good characterisation but it was too much like a Smooth and the 'flashy' moves only took away from the elegance of the performance. Even the Foxtrotty bits looked a bit 'ploddy' to me. 7.5

LOATHED what came next. I mean, I'm used to non-Salsa Strictly Salsas but this bore almost no resemblance whatsoever! It was like they'd done their Showdance a week early. There's a lot of Anita & Gleb love on my Twitter timelime but I struggled to find anyone who liked this. I fear it's the end of the road for these two. 7

Kellie

Kevin might not be my favourite dancer or choreographer, but he occasionally gets things right and teaches his students well. The Rumba was evidence of this. Looked like Kellie really got to grips with the leg straightening / bending to create the distinct and continuous hips movement. She was yanked around a bit in places and lost balance noticeably at one point but a very respectable attempt at a tough dance. Damn it was hard to write 3 lines of praise for these two! 8.5

And it just got better! Finished off the night with a classic American Smooth. From the moment the music start you knew it was going to be good. These two aren't going to be in the dance-off let alone going home. Speaking of homes - may be about to lose the one I a bet on K&K being bottom two lol 9

When it came to voting, I stuck by my girls Katie and Anita tonight, not that it'll do much good. Anita is sure to be in the dance-off and I can't complain if she is after those two dances. I think Katie or Georgia will join her there.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:34 pm

Don't know where to start tonight - like Mr T, it all left me cold and I had so been looking forward to this show but it did not feel like a semi final strangely and the judging completely spoiled it for me as IMO never before have the judges shamelessly manipulated things like they did tonight. I was also disappointed as Katie and A nton were not as good as I thought they were going to be but even so, no way did they deserve the mauling that they got which was out of proportion in relation to the marks and comments given to all the other couples - how was it that other couples had lots of minor issues seemingly overlooked (including J ay actually dropping his partner but still somehow getting a '10'). I was intending to split my votes tonight between K and A and Georgia and Giovanni but the judges comments and marks just had me reaching for the phone on principle and voting for K and A - even though they were not the best.

In the first round, no one wowed me and I would have scored 7-8-9 for most of the couples. In the second round I felt that Kellie and Kevin - who I have never supported up until now, were streets ahead of the other couples and turned in possibly their best dance of the series - but choices of music and positions in the line up will surely affect the overall result tonight. The other thing I really didn't enjoy was the judges off camera critique VT of the dancers - it was very biased making it clear who they would not save in a DO,,they made their views clear and I felt this segment didn't belong in the semi final.

Round 1

Katie and A nton 8
I agree with Mr T - it wasn't brilliant but neither was it a disaster and how on earth could CRH give this a 4????? Other couples made mistakes in their dances but managed to get 7 or 8 minimum. I felt the judges comments were very rehearsed for this one - Mr Mauve really enjoyed it and rightly made the observation that the content was far more difficult and complex than say the VW that Jay and A liona did - Mr Mauve is not a dancer but feels that the VW is just ' whirling around the floor making sure you don't tread on the other person's toes' he asked me to vote for K and A on his behalf - I had already warned him before the dance begun that the judges would be restrained in their marks and comments - but I did not see the '4' coming - how could CRH honestly justify this????? For me - I felt that this routine had it's faults - I loved the content but the whole thing lacked bounce and the kicks went wrong at the end - don't know why this was put in, recipe for disaster - however I thought the side by side bits were ok.

Jay and A liona 8
See Mr Mauve's assessment above.
My feeling after this was 'nice' but not overwhelming - too much faffing out of hold at the start and (I'm sorry Jay fans) when he did the rotations he did not close his feet together and what with the odd costume of hillbilly breeches and braces, the whole thing had the feel of an American hoe down for me. Judges made sensible comments, especially CRH but still marked it highly!!Mad

Georgia and Giovanni 7
One of my favourite couples but I'm really sorry to say that this dance could have been something from week 1 or 2 and hand on heart I could not give it any more than a 7. I know she has been ill and has had a very difficult week and fair play to her for learning a dance so quickly and going out and doing a decent performance. The track did not suit the beat and the judges were kind.

Anita and G leb 8
A typical 'smoke and mirrors' routine - too much faffing at the start, too much of a 'show' and I think that L en and CRH were bang on the money when they likened it to an American Smooth - too much out of hold and too little foxtrot technique shown.........but did they get penalised??? Not they did not.......Crying or Very sad

Kellie and Kevin 8
Competent with some nice rumba content but totally and immediately forgettable- felt it was quite 'sharp' in places and lacked chemistry, and she did lose balance more than once, however high marks to keep them up the leaderboard it would appear.

second round
K atie and A nton 8
A strangely nervy performance (although after being destroyed in the first round I'm not surprised!) I felt they had really challenged themselves with this music although again I thought it was a good performance but with a few wobbles. I was pleased that they got higher marks for this dance. Mr Mauve really made me laugh as his view of the judges and their lack of support of Katie and A nton is due to the fact - and I quote - 'They are bitter and twisted as K atie and A nton are more the same age as them as they don't like the fact that they are out there doing it and making a decent job of it - suits them so much better when older contestants are pants and they can gloat'

Jay and Aliona 7
So where was the wildly different Charleston that we were promised?? Didn't like this and thought he did not get much of the Charleston feel - very underwhelming in a season of top class Charlestons. I think I must have been watching a different dance to the judges. He dropped her at the end and still got a '10' - come on guys - he is probably going to win without the outrageous overmarking Mad

Georgia and Giovanni 9
100 times better than Jay and A liona's first round dance - but of course this couple have learned the dance before with their VW themed American Smooth at Blackpool. Nevertheless, I thought they did really well and justified their marks.

Anita and Gleb 7
Again, totally out of kilter with the judges, I really disliked this routine which to me was unrecognisable as a Salsa. Her shoes were terrible and she was completely flat footed throughout - it was just an acrobatic routine, but still got decent marks - why? - anyone else would have been slaughtered with this.

Kellie and Kevin 9/10
At last - something worthy of the semi final and from a couple whom I have been vociferous in my lack of support throughout the series. They lucked out on the music and on getting the AS in the semi final - always a dance where you can make an impact when it matters. I loved the flow and the lifts and whole style of the piece - credit where credit is due.

I'll come back to my post from earlier in the week - the only way that K atie and A nton can stay in is to avoid the DO - the judges clearly have them lined up to be there. Kellie will be saved if she ends up in the DO.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:42 pm

mauveangel09 wrote: Mr Mauve really made me laugh as his view of the judges and their lack of support of Katie and A nton is due to the fact   - and I quote -  'They are bitter and twisted as K atie and A nton are more the same age as them as they don't like the fact that they are out there doing it and making a decent job of it - suits them so much better when older contestants are pants and they can gloat'

lol!

Mr Mauve is quickly becoming my favourite person!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:51 pm

lol!

...........he's been strangely engaged with the series this year!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Gah! Have just lost my whole post when my iPad froze Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
So I'll be brief and try and recall what I said...
I definitely think illness/tiredness came into play tonight it seemed everyone was under par and apart from KK's showstopper no one really wowed me.
Katie's Charleston was not her finest hour, but the marking from C.raig was frankly ridiculous. Her waltz could have been so much, but never quite lived up to its potential.
Anita's  dances showed the gap between her and the others but I have supported her throughout because of her endeavour and improvement. However tonight I had to sacrifice her vote for Kellie, who I think deserved it more
Jay put in two competent dances . He was right on the money in the Charleston, in sync and time brilliantly but especially with the obvious mistake did not deserve a 10
Georgia did really well considering how ill she's been ( I've had pharyngitis and it's horrible) but I felt she was protected by the judges.
Kellie's rumba was OK ( I'm with Claudie when it comes to rumba) I didn't squirm but it's not my favourite. But that showstopper- wow, hats off to Kevin.

The show didn't live up to expectations and I was really annoyed by the obvious manipulation of the scores by the judges. Having said that, I was broadly in agreement as my three votes went to who I considered most worthy finalists, Jay, Georgia and Kellie. But who knows what will happen with the GBP?  If it comes to a dance off with Anita and Katie I would choose Anita, but if they go head to head in ballroom,  Katie might come out on top... scratch scratch scratch
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:19 pm

PS forgot to say, one of my colleagues has got tickets to the final - well jel!!!!!!!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:40 pm

Especially going off tonight I have to think Katie has reached her outer limits. Runners can only run so far/fast, jumpers only jump so high even at world championship level. Everybody has a limit. I've cheered Katie on all the way but now she has only four others left and, in truth, maybe Anita apart she is not at the first three level. Jay may make a pro dancer, maybe Georgia too, the others, no. Much as I like and admire A nton I'd imagine he knows their time has come. Two lovely competitors but is it fair to want them to knock out better dancers? It may, of course happen, but somehow I doubt it.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:27 am

TANGOLERO wrote:Especially going off tonight I have to think Katie has reached her outer limits. Runners can only run so far/fast, jumpers only jump so high even at world championship level. Everybody has a limit. I've cheered Katie on all the way but now she has only four others left and, in truth, maybe Anita apart she is not at the first three level. Jay may make a pro dancer, maybe Georgia too, the others, no. Much as I like and admire A nton I'd imagine he knows their time has come. Two lovely competitors but is it fair to want them to knock out better dancers? It may, of course happen, but somehow I doubt it.

Yes I do think this is about Katie's limit. If we are being fair here she can knock out some sparkling dances (and she has) but others can be littered with errors (especially in Latin) and the likes of Georgia and Jay are just consistently better across the board. I would say Kellie is more consistent as well and Anita too is that bit more consistent in Latin. An.ton has had a great run but you feel the writing is on the wall.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:36 am

Just to add as well I'd love to chat to the judges now about the marking of Jay's Charleston. He dropped Ali-ona as was confirmed by his sheepish grin when C.raig asked him at the end. These judges are there as professionals and for one of them (B.runo) to mark it as a ten after such a calamitous error and the rest to mark it a 9 I'd love to know how they reached those scores? And this came on the same show L.en excused away low marking and criticism of other dancers saying he had to be harsh as we were at the semi stage. Fair enough L.en so why didn't you exercise this right with Jay? A dance marking 37 with a drop and errors after it is an insult to even the untrained viewers such as myself and leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

The audience as well evidently are all brain-washed or else why the standing ovations and cheers when such false marks are handed out? They are quick enough to boo 4's from C.raig when they aren't justified so why no boos when 10's and 9's are given for a semi-final dance which includes Jay lettig his partner crash to the floor?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:07 am

Great reviews guys. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who felt the semi final fell a wee bit flat, but I'm not sure what was lacking. I’ve found the VTs all the way through this series rather bland and have now got to the last week feeling a bit un-invested in the personalities and their relationships. Maybe the turnover of pros has contributed to that too, I do miss a lot of the old crowd and wish they’d bring some of them back.   Anyhow, thoughts on the semi final

Katie  I liked the feel of the charleston, but felt performance was quite messy and she forgot her steps at times. It was a gamble leaving Charleston to semi finals and didn’t pay off, I thought both her and A.nton looked knackered by the end.  On the other hand CRHs score of 4 was a total joke, why does he do that?   The waltz I thought was charming and enjoyable to watch, but the dry ice didn’t hide some of the technical faults.  I think the need to learn and perform 2 routines this week probably magnified  Katies weaknesses compared to the others

Jay  I know the shirt and braces were part of the storyline, but just looked odd (and his butt looked enormous in those trousers). Aliona is clearly playing to his balletic strengths, but I thought the Viennese waltz was far too delicate in places – B.runo was right, he needed more drive when in hold.  Dr Who Charleston was  good, but wasn't the wow dance I was hoping for.  B.runos score of 10 was plain wrong given the very obvious near-drop at the end.

Georgia  Considering her illness I thought she did well. Cha cha was a fairly muted affair, and the Viennese waltz lacked a bit of originality and the 10s were generous. But glad to see her joint first, would hope that’s enough to save her from dance off

Anita Grrrrrr. The intro was ridiculous, Gleb playing to the camera with Anita stuck on top of a piano.  But apart from that I quite liked her foxtrot.  OK, confession time, the  salsa was one of the highlights of the night for me. I thought it showed her versatility and I really liked being surprised by a routine. Yes, it was a showdance with a sprinkling of salsa here and there, but I enjoyed it.

Kellie  Sorry, couldn’t get the hype about her rumba at all. I thought the whole routine looked twitchy, especially her arm movements.  On the other hand, the American smooth was by far the dance of the night for me, and its great to see that Kevin can do grown-up choreography. This was perfect timing for them to do their best dance yet, and surely a cert for the final.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:10 pm

I've never been in favour of harsh punishment for a simple error that anyone can make. A slip, trip, mis-step or even a moment of forgetfulness are all human errors that the fabu-u-lus darling one, Darcy and L en will have made somewhere in their carreers. It is beyond argument. The trouble is, you cannot call a performance with such an error in it perfection, or mark it as such.( Are you listening Silver tongued Italian Stallion?) Katie didn't produce her best dances last night, but for a professional judge to mark her a 4 is something the B.B.C should address. This isn't fair or competent, even honest behaviour. She danced pretty well, if less than pefectly, but a 4 mark is nothing short of insult. That the same judges can give three 9's and a 10 to a dancer who almost drops his partner during an otherwise very good performance shows exactly where it's all leading. The judges (in the main) are obviously afraid of the public vote. I 'm absolutely convinced that double standards exist and that in itself is very disappointing. At best Katie should be challenging the bottom end and not the top, and two eights and maybe tewo sevens would have cost nothing and not have broken any spirits. As it is, Katie and Housewives choice must have been gutted to be treated so shabbily. This isn't sour grapes; I have never particularly like Kellie. but her final dance last night deserved the ovation it got on its merits. It was terrific and that was only fair. C raig is not. If I were him I'd feel somewhat ashamed this morning.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:30 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:I've never been in favour of harsh punishment for a simple error that anyone can make. A slip, trip, mis-step or even a moment of forgetfulness are all human errors that the fabu-u-lus darling one, Darcy and L en will have made somewhere in their carreers. It is beyond argument. The trouble is, you cannot call a performance with such an error in it perfection, or mark it as such.( Are you listening Silver tongued Italian Stallion?)  Katie didn't produce her best dances last night, but for a professional judge to mark her a 4 is something the B.B.C should address. This isn't fair or competent, even honest behaviour. She danced pretty well, if less than pefectly, but a 4 mark is nothing short of insult. That the same judges can give three 9's and a 10 to a dancer who almost drops his partner during an otherwise very good performance shows exactly where it's all leading. The judges (in the main) are obviously afraid of the public vote. I 'm absolutely convinced that double standards exist  and that in itself is very disappointing. At best Katie should be challenging the bottom end and not the top, and two eights and maybe tewo sevens would have cost nothing and not have broken any spirits. As it is, Katie and Housewives choice must have been gutted to be treated so shabbily. This isn't sour grapes; I have never particularly like Kellie. but her final dance last night deserved the ovation it got on its merits. It was terrific and that was only fair. C raig is not.  If I were him I'd feel somewhat ashamed this morning.

Obviously, the 4 by C.raig was one he brandishes for dancers he wants out - lets not beat around the bush. He earmarks in his mind who he ordains should be the finalist and does his best to make that happen by getting out the ridiculously low paddle. In reverse he will overlook major faux pas by his favourites and throw them a 9 (Jay last night). Jay's reaction when C.raig asked him if he meant the drop said it all for me and the judges knew as well but still got their nine and ten paddles out. I think I said a week or two ago I said Jay and Georgia could fall over in a dance and they'd still make the final - last night re-inforced that view for me.

The thing that really angers me is that Jay is so good he doesn't need the charity and favoured voting to get him to the final.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Where's B4p, anybody know?
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:17 pm

I'm not sure but did I recall a friend/family member quite poorly recently? I hope it's good news
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 42 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 27 ... 42  Next