Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

+8
Tappingfeet
TANGOLERO
CaledonianCraig
diamondsandpearls
Sid
mauveangel09
B4p
saxonsiren
12 posters

Page 32 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 32 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  Twirlie Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Both Channel 5 programmes from last night are on Catch Up (on Virgin anyway). The Gethin and Kimberley one - Strictly Come Dancing: Before They Were Famous, and also more of a history of Strictly in Strictly Story: Fake Tan, Tangos and a Ten From L en. Both were very entertaining and a lot of what was there was new to me.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 32 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:56 pm

Here's wishing them all good luck in the final and may the most deserving win.

My comments have been vociferous and at times caustic, both about contestants and judges ( never nastily meant as it's all part of the fun of Strictly and if I've been out of order, then I appologise) . In truth, as a lifetime dance lover I admire them all. I've been lucky enough to live throught the ballroom rock and roll, era, always danced and visited dance classes in some way or another, even Spanish dance and flamenco. My personal rewards have been just to be involved, dancing in lots of places and dance halls, on Blackpool Pier, at The Macron football Stadium, dancing at the last ever night of Bolton Palais and even getting on the telly for a two part series. Through the internet I made many friends and even ran a Flamenco dance website for eight years with an American guitarist. Throught the same I made friends with a world famous Hungarian flamenco dancer (Teo Morca, sadly now deceased,who was once part of Flamenco queen Carmen Amays's dance troupe) who sort of adopted me and sent me copies of his books and some old-style D.V.D (that wouldn't play well over here.) I've consider myself priveleged.The joints are worn now, but never the spirit. Very Happy

Nobody knows where we'll all be next year, but God willing, back here in good voice and form. On with it... santa
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Well said Tango, and yes the best of luck to all the finallists tonight.  As someone with two left feet I'm in awe of all of them, and I hope it's a great final.

Hard to predict who the winner will be, I suspect it may be down to tonight's performances rather than simply the bookies favourite.

Only five hours to go......
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 pm

Lovely as always to spend these last few months with everyone on here. Enjoy the final everyone, I'm off to my great niece's christening tomorrow so I won't be around but I'll pop in later if I have time and on Monday! cheers cheers cheers cheers
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 32 Empty Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Congratulations to Joe and Katya on a well deserved victory............. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Athough tbh in the end all my votes went to Debbie - I think her achievements are fantastic and that Argentine Tango just did it for me - however, I am so so happy for Joe and for master choreographer and excellent teacher (in the style of the original SCD pros) - Mrs Katya Jones! Back soon with more detailed thoughts........................ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:37 pm

Well done to Joe and Katya  cheers - I actually thought Debbie and Giovanni may have edged it with their showdance, but guess the bookies (and our poll) were right about Joe.

Going to re-watch, and back later with some thoughts.

Sad it's all over, it only feels like yesterday when we were sharing our first comments
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:52 pm

Very well done Joe, you thoroughly deserved it.

No point in not being honest on here, so it's fair to say Alexandra was technically the best dancer beyond doubt, but, in the immortal words of Barry Fry from Strictly Ballroom: "Just because you're the best dancer doesn't mean you're going to WIN!". Unlike some, I'm happy not to know how the other positions went. I think it fair to let the other three couple think they finished joint second, they deserved at least that for reaching the final. Only the winner gets the trophy and Joe's popularity, likeable personality and fine dancing made him and Katya worthy winners tonight. Very pleased Gemma did well against very stiff competition because many things make for unbalanced scales in Strictly.

Suffice to say, there are very few perfect people in the world (yes, including me Shocked ) and thinking in total paralell is practically impossible. As for the judges, much as I respect them; I don't agree with C.R .H's total obsession with a perfection in amateurs to a level he would hardly always get with pro dancers, or Darcy's views on ballroom mixed with a ballet perspective that couldn't possibly apply to the Chizzies, Susans, or the rocking Rev and Brian Conley. Shirley is also very critically technical and Silver tongued Italian Stallion, daft as he is at times is pretty fair and not influenced by the others. I used to really detest the G.B.P view, but have come around to find they're never too far out in the end.

All in all, tonight was a very good night's entertainment,where the music in general was far more acceptable than it's been in the series. I can on ly hope the next series stays Strictly Ballroom. Best wishes to you all and I'll still be around for a while.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Happy Jpe and Katya won tonight.... I felt Gemma wouldn't get a 10 from C,raig. I felt she was under marked.

For me the show dancers seemed shorter and more manic and less atmospheric. I recall the opening of Louis & Flavias showdance sublime also Tom and Camilla's. Spine tingling and a wow do it again please reel -something I m8ssed tonight and in show....

I hate blatant fawning over celebs and feel judges vote but don't see others score until last dance and reveal.... much easier.

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 pm

Well, after a stonkingly good series with its fair share of iconic dances, I thought the final felt a bit flat if I'm honest.

It took til the couples' choice for Alex and Debbie to get into 5th gear. I thought Alex's AS was dull and her Showdance didn't suit her nearly as much as a hot Salsa / Cha Cha / Samba number would have. But her Jive was amazeballs and I actually ended up voting for her based on that. Debbie spent more time in the air tonight than Janette has all series! But her AT was a moment. It almost moved me to vote for her but I went with Alex because I sort of wanted to see the comeback of all Strictly comebacks.

Turning my attention to our winners - yes I'm pleased for Joe and Katya but it was a very middle-of-the-road final from them to be honest. The VW was probably my favourite routine of theirs. Don't even get me started on the Showdance (but wtaf?!) and I threw a mini strop over them choosing their Toy Soldier Charleston over their Money Samba. I guess they really did have it sewn up if they won based on those dances.

The biggest surprise of the night was Gemma. Yes she lucked out on Paso which played to all her strengths (while Debbie had to Salsa which exposed all her weaknesses) but I thought she was consistent across all 3 performances. Her Showdance - though not slick and polished - had so much oomph, I was willing her on. Alex and Debbie, by contrast, I felt were a touch too 'controlled' in theirs. And she ended on the Blackpool AS which was no less magical in the studio. I didn't vote for her to win just because she's been inconsistent over the series and Blackpool really was the last truly memorable performance she'd given.

Anyway, the show's over for another year and I already feel slightly bereft. Thanks for your company as always gang, I'll pop back to read everyone else's thoughts in the morning x

Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 32 Empty Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:46 am

I really enjoyed the show and thought there was a really good variety of dances. Having wondered how it would go, I really liked the arrangement of all the couples dancing all their routines - I thought that they all had a proper big finish and a fitting goodbye at the end of their third dance, it worked really well. I loved the joy that all the pros seemed to have in their finalist partners and one of my favourite things about the show was the routine that all the eliminated celebs danced - this year it seemed better than ever and was very cleverly done . It was great to see them all back together - how an earth did Chizzy get eliminated first????

Round One
All of them danced well but I couldn't help thinking that Debbie was given the more challenging routine. It isn't easy to compare a week 3 routine with a week 8 one - I think Jingle made this point pre- show. Without wishing to take anything from Alex and Gorka, I felt that their routine was very straightforward and unremarkable up against the complications of Debbie and Gio's salsa - and yet mean CRH didn't give them a '10'! I think that Gemma had definitely improved second time round and I loved Joe and Katya's Viennese Waltz even more the second time.

Round Two - Showdances
I have to say I enjoyed all of the showdances tonight for different reasons - but if I'm honest, there wasn't one of them that blew me away any more than the others, and I don't think that this year's glitterball was particularly won on the showdances.

I loved Alex and Gorka's routine - I thought it was really good how they managed to get bits of all their dances into the routine including the Argentine Tango - I thought this was really worth a '10' but CRH didn't think so!
Debbie and Gio were breathtaking - I thought the routine was extremely skilled and played to her strengths - I just would have liked to have seen some more ballroom in it, alongside the ballet/contemporary bits.

Gemma and Alijaz performed well but although I liked the routine I felt the same as CRH in that I didn't love it, but I felt there was absolutely no need at all for him to spoil the mood and say this - he could have just reflected his feelings in his marks. Surprised Alijaz didn't do something more ballroom based, but felt Gemma really looked the part in one of the best costumes of the evening.

Felt that Joe and Katya's routine was original and different - I loved the quick costume changes and the quickstep ending - it went far too quickly and I wanted to watch it back again.

Round Three

A great jive from Alex and Gorka but I wish they had done one of the pure latin routines - salsa or cha cha - as these were the routines in which she excelled I thought. I thought that the jive was a bit gangly and uncontrolled first time round and I felt the same this time although the energy in the routine was brilliant.

I was so so glad that Debbie and Gio reprised their Argentine Tango - one of the dances of the series for me and I enjoyed it even better the second time round - along with the music!!! So happy that they got full marks.

Loved Gemma and Alijaz's American Smooth - I'm so glad that it was the routine that I hoped they would do. Not sure it made the same impact as Blackpool - I suppose that is always the danger of doing a Blackpool routine back in the studio.

Although I hoped for the samba from Joe and Katya in the last round I was happy to settle for the Charleston as I really enjoyed this one the first time round and enjoyed it again tonight.

I gave all my votes to Debbie tonight - I think she is inspiring and highly skilled - I wondered if she would get through without flagging but she did it!! As for Joe - he is a really worthy winner and I'm happy with that.

So the glitteball has been won again........it only seems like yesterday that we were starting this series, it has gone by so quickly!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I will be around tomorrow and for a bit longer.................... santa santa santa

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:32 am

Well done to Joe and Katya on becoming 2017 Strictly champions. What a great final as well. My thoughts on the dances:-

Alexandras' Judges Pick (American Smooth) was excellent but thought Alex's hand placement wasn't spot on. The drooling was nauseous from the judges and it quickly became apparent that the judges had her as their champion. 9

Debbie's JUdges Pick (Salsa) had the faffing at the start. Had a great tempo but for me there were parts where it stopped flowing as she was slow setting herself after lifts and getting moving again. The nauseating drooling was evident from judges again. 8.5

Gemma's Judges Pick (Paso Doble) was a little ploddy at the start I felt but once into the full flow it had great attack and characterisation. Lovely couple this pair but if I am being honest I thought it was a tad overmarked. 8

Joe's Judges Pick (Viennese Waltz) had faffing at the start but once underway was a lovely dance. He had very good posture and it had a lovely feel to it. Shirley's drooling a bit OTT for me. 9

Alexandra's Showdance was the dance of the night for me. It was helped by the superb choice of music and Gorka's choreography. Still feel she looked ungainly when she was squatting. Fabulous routine though. Was there an 'Oh No' from Alex when C.raig only gave a 9? 9.5

Debbie's Showdance was slower paced and perhaps was deliberately so as Giovanni realised stamina would be key for the final. She seemed a bit unsure at times and thought it looked a tad messy at times. Shirley talking utter tosh about how much Debbie has learnt since the start. I am not blind. Overmarked for me. 8

Gemma's Showdance was brilliant aside from the start and one of the lifts. Loved the steps stages and had great sections and great tempo. If there was an award for best couple these would win it. 8.5

Joe's Showdance was different. Not enamoured by music but had great storytelling, great lifts and danced with real charm and expression. Perhaps lacked content of other showdances and felt it was a tad overmarked. 8.5

Alexandra's Pick (Jive) was great but I still say her kicks and flicks I have seen sharper anbd snappier kicks from other celebs in this series. Great energy and choreography though. Nauseating seeing Shirley and Silver tongued Italian Stallion in background acting like American Football cheerleaders. 9

Debbie's Pick (Argentine Tango) was very good. Intense but there was a shaky moment. Again a tad overmarked. 9

Gemma's Pick (American Smooth) was a danced I loved. Simple but elegant and great choregraphy. Loved watching this couple dance. 9.5

Joe's Pick (Charleston) was one of my favourite dances of the series. Just great. Full of goofiness, great lifts and fun, fun, fun. 9.5

I thought Gemma raised her game for he final and was much closer to the other finalists than she had been. Loved seeing all the couples back in a great group dance but as always sad to know it was the last time they'd be together and Strictly over for another year. Sad

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:46 am

Noooo,  it’s all over  Sad   It’s a bit strange watching the final without having a strong favourite, but hey ho. Overall I thought it was an enjoyable evening, and I’m glad Gemma upped her game and didn’t look out of place against the other three.   My comments are all over the place, so apologies if I’m rambling…

Firstly, I thought Shirley had the pick of the dresses, Darcey’s plain dress looked badly fitted, and needed a necklace to match her earrings. I thought T.ess’s trouser suit was a bit plain for the final, and her giant earrings were a bit cheap looking.  All very minor points, but I want sequins and sparkle galore on everybody for the final, and not just on B.runo’s jacket.

Dance 1
Glad to see that the bulky jacket and hat were gone from Alex’s AS costume, and the vegetables had been replaced with flowers.  I thought her first dance was flawless, couldn’t fault it. Debbie’s salsa looked a teeny bit awkward in a couple of places I thought, especially coming out of some of the lifts. One thing I noticed is that Giovanni was watching her like a hawk during the side to side pieces, making sure his timing matched hers – I thought that was quite touching. He’s been so protective of her throughout and is definitely on my afor list.
I’m not sure if Gemma’s paso  was much improved from the first time she danced it in week 4, but I’m glad the judges chose it and enjoyed watching it again.  Joe’s VW was lovely and smooth – my only tiny quibble was that wardrobe had changed his outfit, so he looked a bit less Russian this time.

Showdances
Hmm, I didn't find it a vintage year for showdances.  Out of the four, I preferred Debbies – the content was very much as we’d all predicted, but I thought it was delicate and charming,  and it did play to all her strengths.
I’m not a great fan of the ‘mix ‘n match’ showdances, so was a bit disappointed by the choreography of Alex and Gemmas.  I found having so many changes of style can make the routine look a bit muddled, and I’ve pretty much forgotten what their dances looked like already.
I’d been expecting great things from Katya’s choreography, and was left a tiny bit disappointed. The theme of Cinderella was maybe  a bit pantomime-y  for me, whereas I was anticipating something a bit avant-garde. The dress change was clever, but that wasn’t really showcasing Joe.

Dance 3
I thought this segment was when all four dancers really shone  - enjoyed all of their dances, and especially Alex’s jive.

Definitely the highlight of the whole show for me was the group dance – I thought it was choreographed very cleverly, and a great reminder of little snippets from the past 3 months. Karen eating chicken, Brian falling off the wall, Rev coming down from the clouds, Aston’s gymnastics (wow! ), Susan’s quickstep, Davood’s bum lift, everyone piling on top of Ruth and A.nton at the end. I just loved it and it lifted my spirits.  

I really liked Claudia’s group interview with the non-finalists too – a shame it was rushed and cut short by yet another film clip of the judges waxing lyrical about the four finalists. Personally I would’ve much preferred Claudia’s group interview to go on for longer – the judges film was shown after the votes had been closed, so it didn’t serve any purpose other than filling time.  

One minor bugbear, which happens every year.  I found the announcement of the winner (well done to Joe) and presentation of the glitterball all a bit of a noisy scramble, and it was impossible to hear the final comments from Alex, Gemma and Debbie.   And then suddenly the show is over!  Just feels a bit rushed and frantic at the end, and I feel cheated out of proper interviews with the final four.  In hindsight I’m much happier now that Mollie didn’t reach the final – at least she got the chance to thank AJ, do her final dance, and get a nice interview with Zoe.  It feels a bit of a shame that the others don’t have that opportunity.

Anyhow, sorry this has rambled on for a bit. As always I’ve really really enjoyed reading everyone’s comments this year, it makes Strictly feel more like a shared experience than just sitting at home watching a TV show.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 am

round one
Loved seeing the D-E-B-B-I-E moment again, I think she did much better this time around, for me it was the pick of the round one dances. I think Gemma really did raise her game on the night and though she wasn't close to the standard of the others, she wasn't a million miles away
round two showdance
Alexandra's definitely played to her strengths, felt like an audition/ showcase for whatever she's going to do next, but I really loved it.
Debbie's was a liftathon as we expected and was definitely choreographed to her balletic strength- it was a lovely dance but never really got going for me, maybe because although I appreciate the technical complexity of it, there wasn't much dancing together in hold. But wow, that lady has blown away all the rules about older contestants- and for that I applaud her
Gemma's dance was full of attack and I think was the best she could be
Joe's dance- lovely story telling and I loved the change of tempo - for her choreography alone this series, I'm so glad Katya got to life the glitterball. Nice job from wardrobe too
round three
Alex's jive was great and I have to say on the night I thought she was the best dancer.
So glad to see the AT again from Debbie - was one of the dances of the series for me
But I have to say that the charm of Gemma's AS brought a little tear to my eye, it was by far her best dance and it was so good to see it again. What a lovely partner Alijaz is.  
Joe's Charleston was good second time around but not necessarily my favourite

A great final, with the people's choice as a winner.

As an aside, did anyone else notice that Kevin and Karen were conspicuously apart whilst Mollie and AJ were close (literally he had his arm round her at one point in the Clauditorium) and it was lovely to see Janette give Alijaz a little kiss when he came up

Thanks all for your company, I'll be lurking in the tartan lounge in the off season. Maybe we should all set a "watch this topic" so we get notifications when someone posts a message? Xx
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:57 am

Wow, what a great final and a very high standard this year. Alex was clearly the best dancer and Gemma the weakest (but not by enough to not warrant her place in the final).

I thought they had all improved their judges pick dances.

The show dances, to me, highlighted how little time they had to learn and prepare them. Alex’s was simply bits of three or four of her dances. Joe’s was a lot of standing about on his part. I liked Gemma’s but it seemed to peak around half way and then not meet its potential. Debbie’s was just beautiful but quite tentative.

They all had great fun with their favourite dances. I would have preferred Alex’s salsa or cha cha cha and I think Charlestons should be banned (too much of a crowd pleaser/vote winner). But, all danced very well.

The judges marked as I expected them to. Shirley and B.runo were nearly all tens and C.raig reflected more how I would have voted. But it didn’t matter because their votes didn’t count anyway. I decided I didn’t really mind who won but, when Joe was announced, I realised I wanted it to be either Debbie or Gemma.

If I’m honest, I didn’t like a four person final and I didn’t like having no eliminations (would have made the voting interesting and possibly a different result). But I enjoyed the show very much, especially the group dance.

Have a lovely festive season see you all next year xxxxx
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Tappingfeet Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:48 am

I loved the final .I got quite excited and it lived up to my excitement .I know nothing about dance or technique etc so I just watch to enjoy .Joe and Katya thrilled me , Gemma delighted me and Alex and Debbie in all fairness were wonderful .I loved it all , the dancing , the pro dance , the support form the Claudatorium ( well apart from Chizzy blubbering and crying what on earth was that all about ? ) I loved the whole shebang of glitzy schmalz !!
I loved Joe and Katyas Toy soldier Charleston and if I am honest I thought all four show dances looked very similar .Time to break free from the mish mash of all dances shoved it to a routine .
Sorry Sid but the only dance of the whole evening I didnt like was Alexandras jive , done well I know and all steps there but to me very wide legged and sloppy like a Lindy hop ugly gait . I hate the Lindy hop .

Just to say Thank you all for allowing me join you and i love reading all your posts and learning from them . Happy Christmas all and enjoy the season .

Tappingfeet
Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:21 am

Tappingfeet wrote:
Just to say Thank  you all for allowing me join you and i love reading all your posts and learning from them . Happy Christmas all  and enjoy the season .
Thank you for joining us Tappingfeet! I always look forward to reading your posts, you've got a very witty way of describing things - please make sure you're back for next year's show.

Yes, I too wondered what the Chizzy tears were about, all a bit strange.

Quite a few of us pop in to comment on the xmas special, and a few (me anyway) lurk all year round just to see if anyone is about. We used to have a Dancing on Ice thread, which followed the Strictly season  -I'm not sure if DOI is back on in 2018, if so it'd be great to start a thread
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Tappingfeet Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks Jingle ! What a shame you cant see the Irish version of Dancing with the Stars and join me in commenting and poking fun at them ! Last year a famous sports man from Kerry who was also a Garda ( policeman ) won so the actual good dancers never even stood a chance .The Kerry/ Hurling/ Garda fans had it all sewn up !
I will defintely pop in and see how you are all viewing the US version too .
Still shaking my head at Chizzy and her blubbing ? So bizzare . No No No
Tappingfeet
Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:07 pm

[quote="jingle"]

Jingle fab idea so set thread up for DOI.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:20 pm

I have re watched a little of last night's final again and yes I feel it was a little flat and too long! I prefer a knock out stage to lose a couple and carry on...
The Showdance didn't wow me at all and I felt a little cheated as a viewer? So many beautiful, magical fun showdances before I had expected a lot.
Not sure why Alex allowed change costume re missing coat and hat? Not keen re Joe's solider outfit either, I know I'm picky...

For me I wanted Joe or Gemma to win but this morning I wished Gemma had as a true j.ourney and so young too... hated seeing Kevin sad on camera and the other end of the scale Karen full of beans thick with Janette.
Not sure why Chizzy upset? I'll be lurking on DOI thread and in tartan lounge....

Merry Christmas everyone, Mr T hope Mrs T improves and enjoys festive season. B4p hope you continue to get better and Sid hope you are well and carry on twitter comments with Marion Keynes etc.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Just a tail end comment to it all: I still find it a bit amazing how much time is spent actually either faffing, ariel flights or out of hold in a ballroom competition that only lasts ninety seconds.( we used to jive non-stop for an hour without tiring). Try timing it. I've always loved the Dirty Dancing film and still have the twenty year anniversary D.V.D (fantastic music), but it's been responsible for that utterly crackpot 1-2-3, ready steady go gymnastic weightlifting excercise known universally as "the lift". Both Debbie and Alex are capable of footwork and in-hold dancing to a high degree, but when you remove, aimless high-kicks, cartwheels and "the splits", together with throwing the hammer spins and all the rest of the stuff that isn't ballroom dancing, there isn't to much time left for Fred and Ginger stuff. I actually thought Gorka's twirlings of Debbie a bit ridiculous in truth, whilst Alexandras dancing was first class. I know I'm old-fashioned, brought up on Victor Sylvester and all that strict-tempo stuff, but some of the contestants could probably re-create "the Carioca" and all the magical dance stuff of the past that relied on footwork and partner dance and make ballroom dance live on. If only..... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Tried to send a response from my phone this morning but it hasn't posted :-( I fear I have missed you all and you have all gone back to wrapping presents...

Suffice to say that Sid basically said what I felt... All a bit flat. Would have preferred Alex to reprise her Salsa rather than the Jive, but it was still a full-on energetic dance which gave the final a much-needed oomph. So she got a vote from me for that. Found all the showdances pretty meh... Really not a fan of balletic/contemporary waftalong so Debbie's dance did nothing for me. Her AT on the other hand made me give her a vote. Loved Joe's Dr Zhivago Waltz a second time (even sans moustache) so gave him a vote for that. SO disappointed he didn't do the Samba though, instead of the Charleston. Liked the potential that Gemma's showdance had even if it ran out of steam, so I gave her a vote for it anyway, and one for her dress. I also gave her a vote for the beautiful understated AS because I felt it could get lost amongst the more dramatic dances. So in the end, Gemma turned out to be my winner.

The showdances really weren't showy or had any real wow factor and that disappointed myself and my friend. And none of the other dances were reallyt stand out in the way that Danny's Samba or Georgia's Charleston were for us in previous years.We usually end up dancing around the kitchen like loons, recreating a dance or two in our own inimitable way, but this year we stayed firmly on the sofa. Nobody seemed to take any notice of Joanne's brillinat showdance choreography from last year... As others have said, all the dances were a bit messy with too many styles thrown in.

Loved Darcy's dress (I know someone here - Jingle, Mauve? - said it was ill-fitting but neither myself or my freind saw theat. We both thought it looked sensational and had our tongues hanging out for it. Shirley looked OK (not her best though) and Tess and Claud looked dressed by someone wiht a grudge, as they often do. I am aware Tess's dresses at least. are designer dresses, but they are not chosen to suit HER. Whereas Darcy and Shirley usually get amazing dresses by comparison. Ones that really suit THEM. Oh well, it wouldn't be Strictly if Tess didn;t have yet another a-symmetrical dress and Claudia had somethng vaguely bin-baggy. So I shouldn't really complain...

So that's it! I will be watching the Christmas one hope wiht my Mum and cousin. Will try and check in, but will only have my phone so I might not be able to respond. But I will keep an eye out for the Tartan Lounge in between the seasons. As ever, it's been immense fun; great to have Tappingfeet on board - some witty, humourous posts from you which I have really enjoyed. So happy Christmas one and all santa , and of course.... Kee-eee-eeep dancin' ! cheers cheers cheers
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 pm

I've been out and about all day - just came back and have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts and views - and wanted to make some 'tail end' comments (as you so aptly put it Mr T!)

Seems like we all felt that the showdances were somewhat muted this year - and I agree with the point (made by Allse - I think) that it does show how little time they have to learn them - especially these days with all the VTs and stuff off the dance floor that they have to do. I also think that last night the running order affected things and it was the last dances and not the showdances that seemed to have the most impact. I did enjoy all the couples doing all their dances but admit that it was more 'knife edge' when someone was eliminated half way through.

I'm going to re-watch Joe and Katya's Showdance because if I'm really really honest, I'm not sure whether it was fully my cup of tea of not - there was so much going on (I know it's all academic now anyway! Very Happy ) but I suppose it was something original which is saying something. Not sure why Chizzy was crying so much - I know she and Joe have starred together in Holby City for a long time - perhaps they are friends outside? She certainly seemed a bit overwhelmed with it all or had imbibed too many pre-show sherries!!!! Talking of which - I couldn't work out what
B runo was on either? However, it was finals night and he was very funny! Kind of liked the way that Shirley had obviously made up her mind that she was going to be very positive to all the couples and that was good - particularly for finals night.

My favourite round was definitely the last dances - I would have liked to have seen the Samba from Joe and Katya but the Charleston was fun and a great end to the show - you can't really go wrong with 'Alexander's Rag Time Band' - for some bizarre reason in my head I could see all the people they have on Gogglebox sitting there singing along and shaking their shoulders Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lastly - yes I noticed how glum that Kevin looked in the Clauditorium, both last week and this week. He and Karen haven't been dancing together at all. They both have seemed like shadows in the last few weeks which is really sad - although she did have her moment in the limelight dancing with Pash last night. I really hope that they can quietly work things out in the off season Crying or Very sad

Anyway - I will pop in a bit over the next few days and definitely after the Xmas Special. I'd be interested in a 'Dancing on Ice' thread - I was never as in to DOI as SCD of course - but I was very pleased to see that it is coming back because for me it was always the perfect antidote to losing SCD and great for Sunday night viewing (hope they are showing it on Sunday night?) Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean are heroes of mine - I've seen them perform many times and I'm delighted they are back..........I really didn't think they would be.

So...............To everyone - just to say that I have enjoyed reading all your posts so much this year and also having great discussions - it just wouldn't be Strictly without this fantastic forum and it is great to discuss it with like minded friends. Don't forget to post your favourite dances of the series and I hope everyone has a great Christmas xxxxxx
santa santa santa jocolor jocolor bounce bounce bounce

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:33 pm

Well I missed the live final. I had booked tickets to a Carol concert and forgotten! I had to smile at one point thinking about tradition being mixed with something more modern. We sang the lyrics of 'When Shepherd's Watched' to the tune of 'Ikley Moor bar Tat'. It actually fitted quite well, and got everyone singing along once they'd got over the initial shock of thinking it was all a Christmas joke!

Just finished watching the show. It seemed very long and drawn out, but I did enjoy seeing the whole class back together again. It was sad seeing Karen dance with Pasha on the Ed Sheeran's slot, and seeing Kevin looking so down in the Clauditorium.

Judges Choices
Alex - A.Smooth. I agree with Cr aig that she showed a much softer, quieter side in this. I enjoyed it more this time round (particularly the flowers rather than the veg!).

Debbie - Salsa.  I could see Debbie do a deep swallow when she found out she’d got the Salsa to do again. I wasn’t keen on the lifts the first time round, but she did well steadying herself on landing. Gio pushed her with the choreography, and she met the challenge. I think she improved on the previous Salsa she danced, but there was definitely some stop/start bits.

Gemma - Paso. I loved the fierceness and attack of Gemma. Funnily enough, I wasn’t so keen on her dress on second viewing. It seemed a strange mishmash of styles and colours.

Joe - V. Waltz.  The only V.W. I can remember this season that actually stayed in hold once they’d started. All the others seem to stop half-way then restart after some mid-dance faffing about. Noticed the Fleckerle. I agree about his outfit. It looked scaled down; more doctors assistant, than Dr Zhivago.

Showdances
Alex -  Everything but the kitchen sink. It was nice to see to see Gorka had included steps from every dance they’d covered this year. Very intense.

Debbie - I’m not usually into contemporary/balletic styles but I liked the ballerina/music box concept. I had to smile when I saw the leg cock, splits etc. It didn’t blow me away, but the concept had a lovely fantasy feel to it, a bit like Toy Story meets Truly Scrumptious in Chitty Chity Bang Bang - ‘What do you see, you people gazing at me?. You see a girl on a music box that’s wound by a key’.

Gemma -  I loved the dress, the concept. A strong start, then I wondered if something went wrong on the lift section. She seemed to hesitate. The lifts seem to be very low key, and a bit out of place with the power of the rest of the dance. The VT showed Alijaz saying they had to do lifts, and Gemma saying she didn’t want to hurt him. If Gorka can lift Alex then I’m sure Alijaz can manage to lift Gemma.

Joe - As soon as I saw Katya dressed in her blue Sumo wrestler ballgown, I guessed they’d be a reveal. I liked it, but again it didn’t blow me away. I guess with only a few days to learn something new, everyone has limited choices - repeat what they already know, risk something novel or play safe.

Contestant’s Favourites
Alex - Jive. An iconic piece of music. With Tina Turner mentioned constantly.  I just wished she’d had a Tina Turner wig on. I kept thinking Donna Summer. I didn’t see any sickle feet. A great dance but I think I preferred her Cha-Cha. Like watching 2 professionals dancing together. I must confess I spent most of the time watching Gorka. He’s like a Duracell battery, full of energy. He never stops.

Debbie - A.Tango. This was better this time round. I thought it was her best dance. Very classy and accomplished. I thought the band were terrific, particularly the string section.

Gemma - A.Smooth. Another chance to see her dress of many colours. This was one of my favourite Gemma dances. I really liked it in Blackpool. She looked so much more relaxed and danced well. I’m glad the judges finally gave her some positive comments. I’m glad she made the final. She gave it her best shot.

Joe - Charleston. I preferred his Samba, but I thought it was a jolly end to the show.

I’m really pleased that Joe won. I’m glad that Katya’s choreography and Joe’s stickability got them to the Glitterball.
It was great to see Alijaz nurture Gemma, who I think had the longest J. Their friendship was lovely to watch.
I started off not like Giovanni. In previous years, I’ve thought him too arrogant, and up his own end.  I’ve changed my mind. He’s shown his human side, and really looked after Debbie this year. I started off thinking Debbie was just a magician’s assistant. I’ve changed my mind. She has flown the flag and been inspirational. She’s taken a lot of flack, but remained strong and dignified. A true iron lady.
I don’t think Alexandra had the easy ride most expected. Yes, she was already an accomplished dancer, but she never had the public vote. She soldiered on, and I don’t think her career will have been harmed by doing the show. I felt a bit sorry for Gorka, whose work has I think, been over shadowed by the almost adverse weekly furore surrounding Alexandra. He did well to get to the finals, and has done some great choreography this year.

rendeer I shall be about over the next few weeks.
For those with other commitments, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a peaceful, healthy new year. I thank you all for your friendship, company, and lively comments, and hope we will all be able meet again ready for action next year.    santa
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:58 pm

Just got in after a busy family day -6 hour round trip  for 3 hours of family gathering !-and read all your comments.
Firstly, Tapps ( can I call you that?) it was lovely to "meet" you and read your comments I do hope you liked us enough to join us again next year!

As others have said so much more elegantly than I, thanks to all of you for your company, comments and discussion- I really love our little forum and feel like we're old friends even though it's only virtual and largely anonymous. ( although Sid I will follow you in tweetland if I may, next time I'm there?). I had a peek at the discussion on the SCD site -from where we all originated- and it wasn't nice, but maybe I caught it on a bad day. Anyway, I'm going to lurk around on here for a few days, I'm not ready to go cold turkey just yet!To all of the recovering number -in a strictly non AA way Wink , I wish you a speedy return to full health, please let us know how you're getting on especially you Sax who hasn't had time yet to recover from all your snowed in adventures let alone lack of medication!!
And for those who are busy and won't be around I wish you all a very happy Christmas santa  my very best wishes for a healthy happy new year and see you in September cheers
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:24 am

Neil & Katya doing a Cha-Cha to a Santana number, but watch Katya's dress

https://youtu.be/ocLr23vKWEE
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next