Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

+8
Tappingfeet
TANGOLERO
CaledonianCraig
diamondsandpearls
Sid
mauveangel09
B4p
saxonsiren
12 posters

Page 17 of 33 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25 ... 33  Next

Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 17 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  Twirlie Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:
As CC says - the viewers put A ston in the bottom two in the first place - the moaners should remember that.   I see that the J ordans have been rattling their cage about it today as well........................ Sleep
I had a look through some of their tweets today and came across this link to the Ipswich Star. It seems as though we're not the only ones who hanker for a more relevant and strict "Strictly".  Sadly I can't put the exact link in as the forum continually changes O la's name to put a vest on you strumpet! However if you follow the link and put "Strictly" in the search box you'll come up with various possibilities, first of which should be a picture of O la and James with the quote "Strictly is going too West End". They mention everything we mention here such as the VT, props and more strict adherence to the dance styles. Whatever else you think of the Jordans, they are obviously in tune with us on those subjects.
http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/what-s-on/
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 17 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  Twirlie Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 pm

B4p wrote:
Like Michael Ball admitted - he's had a bit of work done Razz
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Kristina pulling no punches in this piece and basically echoing our own thoughts. I'm just copying/pasting bits as I can't bring myself to link to the Mail:

"For me Aston was good but he was always the same every week, it was always good but it was always with the same execution, it was never soft or vulnerable. People get bored. So I think that it was the fault of the production.

So they dressed him up in costume, they put the wig on, and yeah it was OK but it wasn't great technically. The week before on Halloween week we'd seen so much better concepts, so why did we need to watch this thing again? Why not just beautiful tails? He would look different and would have done the dance differently.

I can't say that I'm impressed with the dancers this year. Nearly every week we have props and crazy production. Sometimes I just want to see a beautiful waltz or a cha cha cha."

Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Sid wrote:Kristina pulling no punches in this piece and basically echoing our own thoughts. I'm just copying/pasting bits as I can't bring myself to link to the Mail:

"For me Aston was good but he was always the same every week, it was always good but it was always with the same execution, it was never soft or vulnerable. People get bored. So I think that it was the fault of the production.

So they dressed him up in costume, they put the wig on, and yeah it was OK but it wasn't great technically. The week before on Halloween week we'd seen so much better concepts, so why did we need to watch this thing again? Why not just beautiful tails? He would look different and would have done the dance differently.

I can't say that I'm impressed with the dancers this year. Nearly every week we have props and crazy production. Sometimes I just want to see a beautiful waltz or a cha cha cha."

Wow! No Christmas card from Janette for Kristina this year...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:36 pm

It could be thought that someone at the Bubble Bath Club might get the notion to listen, if not to the wee folk, to the people who make a living from dance. It is heartening to hear our own points expressed by such folk. One hopes.....
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:03 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Wow! No Christmas card from Janette for Kristina this year...

I couldn't quite make out if she was coming for Janette or coming to Janette's defence against the evil producers imposing their stupid themes on everyone.

TANGOLERO wrote:It could be thought that someone at the Bubble Bath Club might get the notion to listen, if not to the wee folk, to the people who make a living from dance. It is heartening to hear our own points expressed by such folk. One hopes.....

On the other hand Mr T, ratings tend to drive these shows and they're extremely healthy. I suspect the changes over the years have been geared towards appealing to the yoof. I reckon producers know older viewers won't be switching to X Factor so take them a little for granted.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Sid wrote:

I couldn't quite make out if she was coming for Janette or coming to Janette's defence against the evil producers imposing their stupid themes on everyone.

On the other hand Mr T, ratings tend to drive these shows and they're extremely healthy. I suspect the changes over the years have been geared towards appealing to the yoof. I reckon producers know older viewers won't be switching to X Factor so take them a little for granted.

Well, I wouldn't call late thirties 'older' - but I acknowledge it is not yoof either (I would call it 'prime'.... Wink ) And there are other things to watch than x-factor. What do they think we do the rest of the year? You know. Netflix, Amazon Prime, ye olde worlde DVD's....

There is such as thing as being too arrogant. And not to take notice of their core audience would be as much a mistake as Erin's doll and Janette's Jackson Five VW....
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Will gather my thoughts later on but just wanted to say Hurray!!! Proper training-room VTs and barely any props makes the world of a difference to the show.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:20 pm

Well the music choices were mouth-watering and the show lived up to it. Here are my thoughts on the night's dances:-

Susan's Tango started off slowly and I was worried for her but as the pace picked up she got better and showed good attack and steps. A good dance. 7

Joe's Rumba was much better than I was expecting. It had a lovely feeling to it and Joe danced it with good feeling with some lovely movement. As good a male Rumba I have seen in a while. 8

Ruth's Foxtrot was a bit of a dance disaaaaster darling. They were out of sync at the start, there was visible gapping as well and was just messy throughout. Fun routine but weakly danced. 5

Davood's Charleston was the dance of the night for me and his dance of the series so far. I loved this and aside from the first lift being iffy this was superb. 9

Gemma's Viennese Waltz had some lovely turns and although it wasn't her best dance I thought the judges were harsh on her. 7.5

Alexandra's Argentine Tango had faffing at the start and took ages to get down onto the floor. Great once it got fully started. The ringer strikes again. Two tens though for all that faffing? 8.5

Mollie's Paso Doble had good attack and although it was messy in parts I enjoyed it. Again judges seemed a bit harsh on her but she should be in Blackpool next week. 7

Jonnie's Foxtrot again had posture issues. The dance looked awkward throughout and you could see him thinking out the steps as he moved. Darcy's comments were spot on. 6

Debbie's Salsa had errors here and there such as the lift but great rourine to great music though for the other ringer left in. 8.5

Like last week the weakest two dancers are Ruth and Jonnie and they should be in the dance-off. If they are the pair then you'd fancy Jonnie to edge it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:43 pm

I generally enjoyed this evening, though the gap between the haves and the have nots is becoming very obvious now.

Susan and Kevin Tango
You can see how far Susan has come. That was really quite good. She doesn’t have the shape for a great dancer but it was very good indeed. 5 was much too low, 8 perhaps a little high. 7 from me.

Joe and Katya Rumba
Well I enjoyed that. Lots of smooth movement but it was dynamic as well. 8.

Ruth and Housewives choice Foxtrot
Nah! They held onto the props for far too long at the beginning.  Once they got going, C raig’s right, there was a lot trotting and she looked pretty out of control. It looked as if A nton was hauling her around the floor a fair bit. 4.

Davood and Nadiya Charleston
One of the best Charlestons I’ve seen for a while! Great choreography and well executed! That was a really terrific Charleston – lots of fun and lots of steps and lots of swivel. Well done Davood, well done Nadiya. 9

Gemma and Aljaz Viennese Waltz
I did enjoy this (great song). It wasn’t inspiring though. I do wish she was better, she’s a lovely girl. 7.

Alexandra and Gorka Argentine Tango
Fantastic. One of the best since Vincent and Rachel Stevens. I really can’t make up my mind whether to give them a 10 or be mean and give them 9.

Mollie and AJ Paso Doble
I could NOT concentrate on the dance for that horrendous music! What did that have to do with a Paso? Absolutely Sweet Fanny Adams! I am soooo cross. Going to have to watch it again with the music off!
Ok, on second watch, I didn’t think it was nearly as bad as Shirley and B runo did. 7 at least.

Jonnie and Oti Foxtrot
His stiffness showed here plus the fact that he is no actor.  Darcy’ s right, it didn’t ring true.  It was a bit dull. Sadly I don't see him getting any better. 6.

Debbie and Giovanni Salsa
Very good – not as good as last week cos there were a few slips, but it was most enjoyable. For some reason I didn’t think she’d be as good as that at Latin. 8.

Who’ll go? It should be Ruth. DO? Ruth and… Jonnie? I want to see Mollie get a rest from the DO this week.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:48 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Like last week the weakest two dancers are Ruth and Jonnie and they should be in the dance-off. If they are the pair then you'd fancy Jonnie to edge it.
I see we're in agreement as to the DO and in fact are pretty much in agreement with our markings as well.  Great minds, etc etc. Laughing
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Well, I enjoyed tonight so much more than previous weeks. It felt like a more grown-up traditional Strictly. Felt Shirley’s comments added to this, although at the same time I thought she overmarked a few.

Susan  - started off OK but I thought she was fading near the end, in what looked like a fairly slow and not very difficult routine.   Strange marking between CRH’s 5 and Shirley’s 8, it was more of a 6 to me.  I liked Susan at the start of the show, but there’s something that niggles with me now, don’t really enjoy her dances

Joe – Ian had pointed out on ITT that this looked almost stationery, and it was mostly danced on the spot…very few rumba walks - however none of the judges commented on this. I agreed with CRH that it was a bit jolty and in particular Joe tended to throw his arms out very quickly, there also didn’t seem to be an awful lot of eye contact between him and Katya. Not my favourite Joe routine, but better than average rumba for male s.leb

Ruth – there seemed to be a lot of dancing backwards, which can’t have been easy. I totally agreed with CRH, it looked like she was trotting, and no glide.  Routine looked a bit rushed. Having said all that, it was one of her better performances  I thought

Davood – really enjoyed this, especially the first half.. really liked the use of traditional costumes rather than a comedy angle.

Gemma – quite enjoyed this routine, although I felt it was spoiled by the camerawork. We weren’t shown much of her footwork so I was surprised when Shirley mentioned mistakes in fleckels etc.  Thought B.runo’s comments about not dancing with a laundry basket were a bit harsh.  

Alexandra – Really enjoyed this, although the pace seemed  rushed at times. I actually liked the stairography, thought it added to the performance. This was my joint dance of the night, along with Davood's charleston

Mollie – oh bless her, she’s got such a fragile frame which isn’t really suited to the paso. But she’s my favourite and I gave her all my votes. I SO hope she can avoid the Dance Off she looked crushed at the end.

Jonnie – too much faffing at the start. The long jacket really didn’t disguise his postural issues – just not his dance

Debbie -  urgh, why the optician theme? I could see this was a good routine, but my thoughts were a bit similar to her cha cha, in that it was very neat and efficient but didn’t have a wow factor.

Overall I really enjoyed the show so much more than previous weeks. The proper VTs, the lack of props, and also Shirley’s critiques all added to that. The only down point for me was T.ess, who kept interrupting during the judging.  While CRH was commenting on Gemma, T.ess suddenly said ‘..don’t agree with the judges’  and then  when CRH said Jonnie’s routine was dull T.ess said ‘how dare you’.  It’s not her place to challenge the judges, wish she’d keep quiet.

Who's in the dance off? Hopefully Ruth and anyone else apart from Mollie.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:00 pm

Twirlie wrote:
I see we're in agreement as to the DO and in fact are pretty much in agreement with our markings as well.  Great minds, etc etc. Laughing

Indeed Twirlie. Very Happy
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:01 pm

What a night. You could cut the tension with a knife.

Susan - Tango - a tidy, recognisable Tango. Her shoulders looked a bit high to me but then she's only Diddy. Didn't offend me, or blow me away either.

Joe - Rumba - Got my votes. Loved Katya's choreography. Some jerky moments but some light, shade, and tenderness. Definitely got some hips going. Not too cringeworthy at all.

Ruth - Foxtrot - Delaney's donkey. Too much time wasting before they went into hold. Must have been more than 10 seconds faffing with the hats and can (even that wasn't done well) but no judge mentioned it.

Davood - Charleston - Love how he's gaining confidence. All hail to Nadia for mixing up some new choreography. I think he did a good job.

Gemma - V.Waltz - bit of a mauling from the judges. I thought she looked relaxed considering she turned green doing a few pivots in her foxtrot. As I said elsewhere, even Cinderella didn't have to do a flickers whilst losing her shoe. Her stomach was definately on the spin cycle. May be trouble unless she can get some votes.

Alexandra - A. Tango - Would have preferred them to start straight in on the dance floor. A few of the body hooks didn't land, and I thought some of the ganchos were super high, but as neither of them had danced an A Tango before, they did well. Loved seeing Vin cent in the audience. Wonder if he gave them some tips. Nice to see Gorka pushing Alex and emphasizng she needed to slow things down this week. Can't work out if she's always manic or if it's caffeine induced.

Mollie - Paso. Didn't like this much. Off balance. No shaping. Too soft in frame, and attitude. My dog's flatulence claps louder than Mollies hands.

Jonnie - Foxtrot - Another mauling from the judges, but I didn't think it was that bad. Nice theme. Better steps than Ruth. I thought he led well. Probably at the end of his plateau now.

Debbie - Salsa - Fearless, phenomenal lifts (but then again, she was used to being cut in half by her magician husband). Looked like she was doing the twist in places. She did keep moving but the speed produced several mistakes. The judges couldn't conceal their disappointment that she couldn't be given another full score.

Down to the public vote. Who's got the biggest fan base?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:16 pm

As is seemingly becoming the norm, despite being in agreement with you all for the most part I am out of synch on one dance...

This week is Davood... I didn't like the routine - I thought even YASB looked a bit clunky; his mouth was flapping more than a twenties  flapper; there were too many lifts for me...  It was good, I won't deny it, but not worth the tens for me.  I just didn't enjoy it as a Charl-ess-ton - thought there have been so many other better routines. Also, it scored the same as Alex, and love her or be intensely irritated by her intensity, Davood is just not on the same level as her. I accept Alex wasn't perfect; but Davood was even less perfect.  And performance-wise I thought Alex and Gorka totally brought it. Davood and YASB were just nowhere near as awesome for me.

Just one other thing...

Vinthent!!!! <3 I love you I love you
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:49 pm

I'm about to be banished to six months in a Trappist Monks' seminar retreat for this, but then, C raig gets paid a lot of money for his opinions and mine are for free, so, in no particular order, ahem, to start :

The ringers....Alexandra's Argentine Tango was spectacular (if a bit too showcased on the amount of Vincent and Flavia rapid leg swishing to no real effect apart from how near Alexandra could get her stilleto's to Gorka's family jewels without putting him in A & E.) That said, it was a terrific exhibition of dance and fully deserved the marks. Nuff Said.
Budgie is an amazingly athletic dancer for here age (indeed for any age) but her teeth are forever leaping two feet in front of her and it always looks "Tina Sparkle" exhibition stuff to me. Maybe I'm just biased.

Here's an extra three months in the seminar: Rumba, outside of professional versons, is a load of posed nonesense, sort of Tai-Chi to music. Joe does what Katya tells him, but that was about as romantic as him flicking a yoyo about whilst looking gormless. It didn't look like they were dancing, more synchronised swimming on land. Sorry, I know few will agree.

Ruth isn't a dance star, that's something that must be obvious to A nton. She's done really well, and she danced basic ballroom to what must be said was a very stereotyped Boater and cane routine. The synch was so far out at times with the hats I thought they were collecting for Rememberance Day tomorrow. Poor from An'ton and getting to The Tower seems unlikely. They may battle it out with Jonni and Oti and probably edge it. Poor choreography from Oti and a very clumsy approach from Jonni wasted a good foxtrot from trying for flash (I'm thinking all the pros are getting a bit carried away with that instead of perfecting their charges basics?. Week 8 looked like week 1 in places)

Susan danced a decent tango, but a 5,6 and two 8's made me wonder what level the judges are marking at?

Gemma wears her heart on her sleeve a bit too much and the judges know it. She was worth two more marks for me as even four sevens says they did little wrong.

Mollie and AJ, likewise did little wrong to get two fives and two sixes. She's probably had her confidence shredded again after a great come-back from last week. The judges are lining the trap door contestants up ready and my remarks on the marking were in keeping with the corrida as both contain plenty b------t.

Finally, Davood and Katya's supersonic Lambeth Walk Charlston, against the odds on my part, turned out brilliantly and full credit to all concerned; band, singers and the pair. Very entertaining and fully deserving the marks.

That's it Reverend and my bag is packed... lol!

TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:01 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:I'm about to be banished to six months in a Trappist Monks' seminar retreat for this, ......

That's it Reverend and my bag is packed... lol!

It's not you, Tango, who needs to have his bag packed.  It is I, with my 'what is all the love for Davood's meh Charleston?' view.  You too, seemed to love  it. I just didn't get much joy.... Or much genuine twenties vibe. Just... didn't float my boat :-(

I think Jonnie wants to go home now...  He is used to working hard and getting results.  Oti is working him like a sergeant major but he isn't really improving; there's nothing in it for him anymore.  But I think Ruth is expecting to go...

I wish Mollie and Gemma would get a breakthrough dance.  I want at least one of them, and preferably both, in the final.  Davood is in my Agin team on his own merits - he doesn't need association with YASB any more - so I am hoping he will be in a shock dance off and get the boot.  Joe also needs to be in the final; he was always in my Afor team and Katya moved off teh Agin team by association.  But I am liking her choreography and loving her dresses, so she in solidly in my Afor team on her own merits. Susan and Kevin and Debbeh and Gio are on the subs benches of both teams - I could go either way at the moment.  I find Suvin a tad ungracious with crticism, and Debvanni - well, Debs is good, but she hasn't really found her hips, no matter how much they pretend (compare her to someone like Kimberly Walsh or Chelsee who can really move their hips...)

I missed Susan and Kevin's tango, but have just youtubed it....  Well!  I infinitely preferred Mollie's Paso...  So much gapping in this tango and although a valiant attempt at smapping the head and getting the staccato feel I didn't feel she really achieved it.  I would put this below Mollie but above Jonnie on the leader board...

*quietly picks up coat from back of chair and slinks silently to the door*
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:27 am

Apart from the cockernee Charlston, D&P, I don't thin k we're disagreeing about much. I'm not doing handsprings about very much right now, and seeing Budgie and Carmen Miranda in the D.O. would do me fine. Won't happen, but one can dream. I never saw Lambeth Walk as a Charlston, and credit for the square-peg,round-hole team for pulling it off. My ideal final would be Mollie and Gemma with Joe and Davood fading away at the last waltz and Budgie and Carmen gibbering in the audience whilst C raig bites lumps out of his ten paddle. Cruel, well, maybe. Not to go to Blackpool could be between Susan, Jonni and Ruth....but this is Strictly, so one never knows... scratch Razz
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 17 Empty Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:44 am

Two overriding comments tonight - 1. Several of the routines were far too fast!!! Why must everyone dance so manically? - I'm particularly referring to Gemma and Alijaz and Alex and Gorka. Also,don't fret Diamonds - Lambeth Walk sounded really wrong to me - I'm used to the 'honky tonk' singalong version - this version was like pearly Kings and Queens on some awful fast forward loop!!!!

2. Several of the themes were patently not needed - particularly Debbie and Gio and Gemma and Alijaz.

Having said that - I really enjoyed the show overall and though the standard was high - but like most people, I was bit non plussed at some of the scoring. 4 and 5 for anyone at this stage is too low - unless the judges moderate themselves and stop giving the higher end '10s', as they are leaving the couples nowhere to go. In terms of dance ability - sadly R uth and Jonnie made the least impact tonight and for me most of the others turned in decent performances so the DO will again be interesting I think.............

Susan and Kevin - 7
A solid and decent Tango. I really liked the set for this - the trees etc. Might get forgotten? Not my personal favourites and not the best music but they turned in a decent performance.

Joe and Katya - 8
Best male celeb rumba I have seen for a long time - quite fast for a rumba but I enjoyed the flow, the hip action and the attempts at rumba walks. All my votes went to them - I hope they get through.

Ruth and Housewives choice - 6
Disappointing from the ballroom King - I felt that the hats and canes were over complicated and too ambitious for R uth so made the start more like an American Smooth. Loved the music but felt that there was too much gapping and lack of ballroom posture from R uth - she somehow looked uncomfortable in hold this week.

Davood and YASB - 9
Apart from the track (see comments above) it was a good Charleston - excellent lifts, a good swivel section at the beginning, and high energy. I said that I wasn't sure whether Davood had had a breakthrough dance last week - I certainly think he danced with a lot more intent tonight and impressed with this one. Not to take anything away from a great performance but this was another freestyle n umber (they've had two dances two weeks running that have suited them and all credit to YASB for getting the order right). I'd like to see them do another technical dance before I am convinced. Classic SCD..............No.

Gemma and Alijaz - 8
Too fast!! Apart from this, I felt that it was a decent and well co-ordinated performance to wonderful music. Didn't spot much wrong with it and thought S hirley's comments were a bit off kilter.

Alex and Gorka - 9.5
Terrific performance as always and really clever choreography - hats off to the complicated gancho sections, it was danced very well in terms of competency and I loved the music but.................. a bit 'flick heavy' for me and again a fast tempo for a AT - I felt like hitting the 'slow motion' button. Couldn't bring myself to give them a '10' - I enjoyed their cha cha much more last week. I also felt that the section on the stairs was a bit 'smoke and mirrors'. Sorry if this sounds mean, I did enjoy it but it lacked any of the subtle mood moves that I look for in this dance.

Mollie and AJ - 7
I think they both looked glorious and actually I thought she did a decent paso - much better than I expected' although I find it very odd that someone is done up as a matador and dancing to 'Layla'!!! as mighty as this track is!. I did enjoy the routine however and I really hope she is not in the DO - for me they deserve a shot at Blackpool
I liked the fact that in the Clauditorium B rendan seemed outraged at the under marking.

Jonnie and Oti - 6/7
Solid in parts but unremarkable - I was looking forward to Jonnie doing ballroom again but this didn't quite hit the mark and I agreed with the judges that he seemed better in ballroom a few weeks ago. Feel he has reached his ceiling now and this wasn't really a Blackpool potential performance for me. I didn't appreciate T ess's 'how dare you' comment!!!!

Gio and Debbie - 9
I didn't see any mistakes,really enjoyed this and was definitely one of the better salsas seen this season - she cracked it, got some hip action and for me it cemented her position - although the track was sooooo cha cha!! So that made it a bit strange in parts for that reason, but great finish to the show.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:08 am

mauveangel09 wrote:Several of the routines were far too fast!!!  [...] Lambeth Walk sounded really wrong to me - I'm used to the 'honky tonk' singalong version - this version was like pearly Kings and Queens on  some awful fast forward loop!!!!
More trivia mauvangel09, The Lambeth Walk was a song in Me and My Girl, written in the 30s by Noel Gay. You can see the revival version starring Robert Lindsay on youtube. Search for it there and you should find it no bother. Lots of Pearly Kings and Queens in evidence since the lead character is a costermonger who inherits an Earldom! Though tonight's Charleston was faster, I don't think it's by much having compared the two versions side by side.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 am

Just a little point of mention re the Cockney Charlston. First, if the music choice was out of the hands of Davood and Nasiya, then credit to her for managing the choreography so well. I agree the dance and the music are not natural  bedfellows (I did mention this last week and also provided the Robert Lindsay link), but I can't actually see Nadiya ever having heard of the Lambeth Walk, never mind choosing it as music. Just another example of "I will because I can" (as in Layla as Paso Doble music). If you look at it in that light, she given unfamiliar music and he a novice dancer playing weekly in an East End of London soap, then what they did was very creditable. This was my reason for the positive comment. The moguls who give the show and music orders I'd make the next bunch of competitors on Strictly just so they can see exactly how important the right music is and stop playing their own versions of Desert Island Discs as such.

Amen. Wink

Last edited by TANGOLERO on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:43 am

Morning all. I was a little distracted last night and watched in fits and starts. To cut a long story short we had a traumatic Friday evening when one of our kittens fell 60ft from a tree where he was stuck at the top, but thank the lord he was amazingly OK ( all 9 lives used up). Last night he was perking up and had an accompanied bimble around the garden.

Anyway my thoughts, haven't read any of yours yet. General point, I thought wardrobe had upped their game some lovely dresses last night. I also liked Claude's jumpsuit. Everyone also tried to up their game on the dance floor, with mixed results....
Susan and Kevin well she gave it some...not too shabby in fairness, her height is always going to put her at a disadvantage in keeping her frame unless she was dancing with an dwarf( are we allowed to say that these days? Speaking as one vertically challenged myself I wouldn't want to offend!)
Joe and Katya creditable attempt, you could see how hard he was trying, which kind of lost the feeling of it, but Katya is such a good teacher- really liked their VT actually showing training for once. I voted for him because I felt he could be a bit lost
Ruth and An.ton not great and she knew it...if she gets to Blackpool it will be all down to Housewives choice. If she gets in the bottom two her days are numbered
Davood and YASB he definitely had the swivel, I noticed at the time how he was still swivelling in that lift, glad it was mentioned by judges, I enjoyed the routine but not a 10 for me. I would have given it a 9
Gemma and Alijaz loved her dress. She really needs a wow dance but I thought the judges were a bit harsh. I gave her a vote, don't want her gone yet. I loved the ending
Alexandra and Gorka I need to watch this again as I wasn't paying full attention but it looked pretty good to me she gave it all her usual attack- loved the bit where she was stepping off his feet! Not quite perfect for me, one to replicate in the final??
Mollie and AJ again thought the judges were harsh, not amazing but she deserves to stay more than some. Gave her my other vote
Jonnie and Oti I thought he was hunched over her at points, I think he's got as good as he's going to now. Didn't wow me
Debbie and Giovanni I've said all along the latins would expose her weakness and I thought it showed again tonight. Clearly the judges darling, I thought she was overmarked but I wasn't paying my fullest attention so could be wide of the mark.

Who will be on the bus to Blackpool and who gets BFH ? ( can't beat a bit of Bully!!) I wouldn't like to say, it should be Ruth going home obviously, if she get in the DO she's doomed, but it's that word IF
And now I'll go back and read all of yours!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:04 am

TANGOLERO wrote:(I did mention this last week and also provided the Robert Lindsay link)
Apologies for missing that T. Sad
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:41 am

Ok I've been thinking about this most of the night. Tess' comments "How Dare you his danced 8 weeks and still here " in reply to the fabu-u-lus darling one 's catty comments "dull,dull, dull ". I've played back frame by frame and it's not adding up. There is a time delay and sound not in sync with the camera... I hear after the fabu-u-lus darling one mumbles in background then Tess starting and a glimpse of Silver tongued Italian Stallion talking with his head turned to the side to audience? Was Tess advising how dare you to the fabu-u-lus darling one and/or to audience members calls which had been snuffed out? Is there a 30 second live feed delay in case of swearing etc? I'd like this to be explained by Tess and SCD. I found it all uncalled for and very bad form.....

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:48 am

saxonsiren wrote:Ok I've been thinking about this most of the night. Tess' comments "How Dare you his danced 8 weeks and still here " in reply to the fabu-u-lus darling one 's catty comments "dull,dull, dull ". I've played back frame by frame and it's not adding up. There is a time delay and sound not in sync with the camera... I hear after the fabu-u-lus darling one mumbles in background then Tess starting and a glimpse of Silver tongued Italian Stallion talking with his head turned to the side to audience? Was Tess advising how dare you to the fabu-u-lus darling one and/or to audience members calls which had been snuffed out? Is there a 30 second live feed delay in case of swearing etc? I'd like this to be explained by Tess and SCD. I found it all uncalled for and very bad form.....

No I'd say it was just aimed at CRH as she has form at making comments like that. The feed is as near to live as you can get so no way is it humanly or even non-humanly possible to edit anything.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 33 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25 ... 33  Next