Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It Takes Two 2017

+8
TANGOLERO
B4p
allsewnonbyhand
diamondsandpearls
saxonsiren
fiftynotout
Sid
mauveangel09
12 posters

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

It Takes Two 2017 - Page 6 Empty Re: It Takes Two 2017

Post  B4p Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:47 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:I think what most of us want on the main show AND on ITT is more stuff about the technique and nuts and bolts of the dances.  Jason with the demo by Chloe and (can't remember eek!) was brilliant.  We need that for every dance - a bit of background of where the dance came from, the basic steps which comprise the dance alongside a demonstration by the pros.
Ah well.... I can dream.
It;s getting dark now and I have to walk back along an unlit road with loads of pot-holes so I had better get going.  Don;t want to sprain my ankle...!

Take care down those unlit roads Diamonds. Hope you have a cricket bat for protection (sequinned off course) as well as a large torch (a Tazer is optional)

I totally agree about needing a longer pro demonstration filmed in the ballroom setting, with a talk over by Jason or one of the other choreographers, regarding the key moves. Chloe & Pasha looked so glamorous in the ballroom outfits.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:24 pm

B4p wrote:

Take care down those unlit roads Diamonds. Hope you have a cricket bat for protection (sequinned off course) as well as a large torch (a Tazer is optional)

I totally agree about needing a longer pro demonstration filmed in the ballroom setting, with a talk over by Jason or one of the other choreographers, regarding the key moves. Chloe & Pasha looked so glamorous in the ballroom outfits.

lol! The only think I need protection from is the lovely Herdwicxk sheep who like sleeping on the warmed up tarmac! And I didn;t have a torch because I hadn't planned on being so long in the cafe - hence my need to get off licketty spit!

And yes - Pasha! I keep forgetting him... He seems to make no impression on me these days. I couldn;t tell you why....
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Glad you got back safely Diamonds. Pondering if the sheep might dance? Very Happy ... Pasha bless not had the best of luck last 2 years. Mom who has seen him 3 times has decided to forgo her show next year! Darn it that's me hunting now for ssh that thing at the end of the year presents ( not mentioned in this house until 06/11 at the earliest, cannot grumble as I set the rule Razz Razz )

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

It Takes Two 2017 - Page 6 Empty Re:It Takes Two 2017

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:41 pm

I think you are right CC - I don't think they would want to have anyone on the panel who was too closely associated with the current pros - so I suppose that would rule A nton and B rendan out really, although I think both would make good judges in different ways. Although he worked with A nton and B rendan I think Darren Bennett has been out of the UK SCD long enough to be a valid judge - I actually think that Karen H ardy would also be good.

I too enjoyed L ilia and Darren immensely - both favourites of mine, although L ilia a lot more so than Darren. Both great teachers and choreographers who were given the 'heave ho' before their time in my opinion.

I really enjoyed CRH on ITT tonight - really interesting comments - he always comes over so much nicer in 'real life'! Smile

Thought it was really funny how YASB tried to say that they had done all the rumba steps including the cucurachas when it was plain that they did not!!!! Never mind, I think they'll fare better with the AS this week as they can be more freestyle and do all the 'showy' lifts Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes might just keep them from another visit to the DO.

Thought for the day...........................the cha cha has suddenly and repeatedly been branded as one of the more 'complicated' and 'harder' dances this year :roll - just because some of the celebs have found it a bit challenging lately. In past series it was never referred to this way and was often one of the dances that they did in the earlier part of the contest???? confused

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Interesting point about the Cha Cha mauve, it's something that's crossed my mind too! Not being an expert I can only make guesses based on what we've seen but I suppose because Cha Cha was used as a Week 1 dance for a long time perhaps expectations were lower back then and technical points weren't stressed as much what with it being someone's first dance (and viewers being relatively new to it all). This isn't the first series I've noticed Cha Cha critique being harsher tho - it's been more noticeable for a few years now (I recall Sophie struggled badly and her technique was brought into question along with others).

I was also a bigger fan of Lilia's than Darren. I didn't always get great vibes from him - don't think he was quite as nice as his the devils work image suggested. Unfortunately, I mostly found myself rooting for Lilia's partner's rivals on the show (Colin Jackson, Ramps) but that didn't mean I couldn't appreciate her.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:26 pm

We could definitely do with a Jason segment talking us through basic Latin steps and cha cha in particular I haven't a clue what I'm looking for.
Just caught up with tonight's ITT, thought the fabu-u-lus darling one was fab-u-lous, his marking seemed a bit more justified when he's got time to elaborate
Even before Ian's bit I thought Joe was looking good in training- I really hope he smashes it on Saturday. Sid I think you are right, Debbie is looking good to stay in right up to the final with she has left.
Absolute LOLs re Zoe's phone going off - happens to us all although I would be shot if that happened to me at a high profile thing at work! I'm surprised they're allowed to have them in the studio.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Tappingfeet Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:41 am

Was it just me who thought that Zoe carrying a phone into the set was ridiculous .? Plus surely her son knows his Mum is on air at 6;30 to 7 pm . ? From the time my kids were very small they knew what shift I was on and not to phone ?

I just can not take to Barbie and Ken and find them both fake and false and extremely annoying ! Davoods open mouth is really bugging me and not one judge has picked up on it .

By the look of it Debbie leg is going to be up in the air again ! As my Mum would say I hope she wears her good knickers for it .!

My allegiance is now firmly for Mollie , Joe and Gemma . I like Jonnie but just cant see him make it for much longer

Loving Darren and Lilya and all the old pros popping up .Where is Mathew Cutler my all time favourite . ?
Tappingfeet
Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:20 am

mauveangel09 wrote:I think you are right CC - I don't think they would want to have anyone on the panel who was too closely associated with the current pros - so I suppose that would rule A nton and B rendan out really, although I think both would make good judges in different ways.  Although he worked with A nton and B rendan I think Darren Bennett has been out of the UK SCD long enough to be a valid judge -  I actually think that Karen H ardy would also be good.

I too enjoyed L ilia and Darren immensely - both favourites of mine, although L ilia a lot more so than Darren.  Both great teachers and choreographers who were given the 'heave ho' before their time  in my opinion.

I really enjoyed CRH on ITT tonight - really interesting comments - he always comes over so much nicer in 'real life'! Smile

I think An.ton would be great as co-host of the show. He has a natural wit and is a popular figure with supreme dance knowledge. I'd put him alongside T.ess and have C.laudia up in the Clauditoreum and doing the chat with the celebs and judges in the Clauditoreum on the Sunday Results Show.

And I agree with regards CRH. It is clear that the persona he puts on whilst judge is stage managed and he plays the part to the full. Sure he comes across as nasty with really droll comments to the poor dancers but did offer encouraging tips to no hoper Simon and he is not afraid to pick faults with even the ringers.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:54 am

Tappingfeet wrote:Loving Darren and Lilya and all the old pros popping up .Where is Mathew Cutler my all time favourite?
Mathew was last seen dancing in America. Not sure where he is nowadays. I thought Zoe said that Darren & Lilia were about to start judging on Ireland's DWTS?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:13 pm

Gosh - I go away for 24 hours and find I can't keep up! So many good points made, and whilst I can;t comment on Zoe's phone shenaningans (downloading as I type), I can agree with pretty much everything else everyone has mentioned. Especially about the Cha Cha Cha, which I think I raised earlier in the series as being a weird dance for the first couple of weeks, and couldn't understand why it seemed to be thought simpler than the Jive which everyone goes on and on about tricky it is. This series they have pretty much said EVERY dance is difficult. Well.... ye-es. Isn't that the whole point? To learn something that you have never done before (Aston I am NOT looking at you) is bound to be difficult and complex, and all dance technique is complex and thus tricky. May I add in a 'du-uh' for good measure....

So, I am just going to launch in and throw in a different angle...

I should perhaps post this is a Litlle Bit of Honesty, because I am going to be honest - but it is about ITT so I am keeping it in here. Two words: Choreography Corner...

Could I be forgiven for wanting and expecting it to be about the choreography of the dances, rather than a further critique on the dance which, whilst it includes chorepgraphy, seems to concentrate on the technique which then leads to the demos?

Now, I like the demos muchly (though I could do without the false pazaaz and rah rah that each demo built up with - bah humbug and other grouchy things), but I would really welcome a proper critique of the chorepgraphy used. I'll give old KH her due, though she got on my wick, she most certainly DID talk about the choreography and how the pro used it to showcase their partner or, conversely, to hide their less than perfect technique.

I feel there is room for both - some more critique and explanation of the technique executed in any given dance (with the demos) AND a proper look at the chorepgraphy.

Just sayin'

And Sax - no mention of that present-giving riot until at least December knocks on the door. I prefer to wait until the second or third week of December myself, but allow others from the 1st... Wink
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 pm

Totally with you diamonds. I do like the technical aspects explained but I also want more discussions about why a pro might have chosen to put together a routine the way they did, how it built on the complexity of previous choreo, how well it complimented the music etc. My only issue is that sometimes when a guest talks about choreography with Zoe they have a tendency to be quite gushy because it's essentially a critique of the pro in the partnership (whereas technique - though a reflection of the pro's teaching to a degree - is more about the celeb's execution). I mean it's still worth hearing what they have to say because they'll be pointing out all the strong bits of choreography but we don't often get to hear about what wasn't so great.

Just turning to tonight's ITT and I swear everything Debbie and Gio say sounds filthy to me..."Giovanni worked out I need 4 minutes in between to get my breath back" Razz

I do enjoy their rapport though it has to be said - and Debbie's wardrobe is amazing.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Sid wrote:Totally with you diamonds. I do like the technical aspects explained but I also want more discussions about why a pro might have chosen to put together a routine the way they did, how it built on the complexity of previous choreo, how well it complimented the music etc. My only issue is that sometimes when a guest talks about choreography with Zoe they have a tendency to be quite gushy because it's essentially a critique of the pro in the partnership (whereas technique - though a reflection of the pro's teaching to a degree - is more about the celeb's execution). I mean it's still worth hearing what they have to say because they'll be pointing out all the strong bits of choreography but we don't often get to hear about what wasn't so great.

Just turning to tonight's ITT and I swear everything Debbie and Gio say sounds filthy to me..."Giovanni worked out I need 4 minutes in between to get my breath back" Razz

I do enjoy their rapport though it has to be said - and Debbie's wardrobe is amazing.

I think that is perhaps why Karen Hardy works best - I never get the feeling she minds upsetting her peers, probably because she has professionally judged them.  Much moe difficult for the likes of Erin or Natalie - though Lilia and Darren were now (sigh....) so long ago, that with the exception of A and B, they haven't worked with any of the current pros.. Darren should have spat out exactly what he (and everyone...)  was thinking about YASB's rumba choreography.  A missed opportunity I feel.

Haven't yet seen Gio and Debbie, but I know from past episodes that their whole conversation could be one big double entendre!  And yes, her training wardrobe is beyond fabulous.  Though I was very worried during charl-ess-ton week as she seemed to be in need of more support than she had in the chest area.... I thought she might bounce right out of her leotard... affraid

On the subject of wardrobes, I've been noticing on ITT that some of the female pros' dresses are so gorgeous they are almost better than what some of them get to wear on Saturday night.  I may be Agin Karen, but her pink satin number on Monday was the epitome of sumptious elegance and really suited her.  And Katya's gauzy, embroidered floral fabric over an opaque base was just SO pretty.  Katya always scrubs up well though...

And now Sid, it is time for my annual musing over how you manage to say EXACTLY what I think, but in a much more eloquent and erudite way! I love you I love you
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:41 pm

Diamonds although I advise after the 06/11 family can think about raising subject re riot act at end of December they realise it's really last week November!
Dresses for the pro dancers quite lovely sometimes and the poor celebs get a drab squib leftover frock of horrors at times...

I'm a little Deb weary there I've said it! Just starting to irritate me now the whole gosh look at me I've done so well speech yet comes across as a little too saccharine ... The stick the legs akimbo and right up to the ceiling poses a bit dull now. I'd like to see more umph and less ballerina and raw gusto. Plus as Mr T advised hope Deb has her best knickers on. Razz
YASB "yawns" bored now brain switched off from her a while ago similar to the annoying dust in the corner just don't mention it!
Davood I feel may have bloomed with a different dancer ie Chloe big hint BeeB.

KH did get down to the nitty gritty discussing choreography instead of wackaday hoo hah scream "demo " time brigade chants taking priority over C/corner. Zoe and the phone mm was it just for show to prove Zoe has family issues similar to the dear viewers?

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:58 pm

I thought it was interesting when Nadiya came out with all the technical steps she'd included in the rumba, starting with the side to side cucarachas, then the rumba forward walks etc etc. I t made me think, maybe it's not what she's left out, but what Davood forgot to put in? Was the routine too difficult for him to remember or execute?

It also made me think about Susan's footwork on the samba. Ian noted that on the samba whisks, Susan wasn't crossing her foot at the back but just closing one foot to the other. Kevin wouldn't have taught it that way. The point being: was it the choreography, or the contestant's version of it under pressure?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 am

Bless you diamonds and I always feel exactly the same about YOU! "Uglified" is such a good and apt word!

B4p wrote:I thought it was interesting when Nadiya came out with all the technical steps she'd included in the rumba, starting with the side to side cucarachas, then the rumba forward walks etc etc. I t made me think, maybe it's not what she's left out, but what Davood forgot to put in? Was the routine too difficult for him to remember or execute?

Yeah I wasn't sure what to make of that difference of opinion either B4. But even Ian wasn't very positive about their Rumba when he was critiquing it midweek. Davood didn't seem to be doing the moves (if they were included) properly - all weird bent legs and body positions - so maybe it looked like he wasn't actually doing them. And YASB seemed to focus on the performance aspect instead of teaching the steps and technique behind them effectively. All very confusing. Interesting that Joanne came to YASB's defence in the Radio Times saying she's come from the world of competitive dancing and needs a chance to settle in and adapt to Strictly. I'm still Agin, YASB seems too style over substance to me.

I did enjoy tonight's Friday Panel altho it needn't really have been a panel at all - Tom on his own would have sufficed Very Happy

Apparently Gorka smells nice all the time but no one's bothered to invent Smellovision yet so that I can confirm *unimpressed face*

I enjoyed Pasha's trip down memory lane tho it confirmed to me that he and Chelsee would have made much better winners. One of the most endearing partnerships Strictly's seen.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:41 am

Interesting comments about YASB all round. I'm still agin too. I think they could be for the chop if they don't pull it off tonight because I'm not sure the GPB is behind them either.

Lisa Riley seemed a bit subdued on the Friday panel, was it because she was overshadowed by Tom? ( who is definitely in my "for" list!) I thought he was fab and one of those we like because he says it how it is. I wondered why Martine had never been in strictly as it seems right up her street, then I wondered if she had been and I had forgotten ( memory not my strong point!). When I googled it she said she didn't think she was up to it because of her health issues and "letting people in 24/7". I've always liked her and of course she is in my all time favourite Xmas film Love Actually ( well joint first with It's a Wonderful Life but let's not go down the C word route yet. I'm sorry to have brought it up! Wink )

I also enjoyed Pasha's highlights but I thought lovely Carol was conspicuously absent- I know it was about highlights which she clearly wasn't, but I was hoping they were BFFs because they seemed to genuinely get on. Hopefully it just didn't make the cut. Or As they said on the panel that's showbiz!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:57 am

There was a very brief clip of Carole and P asha dancing - it was just before the clip of him dancing with Naga. I thought it was a good segment. I agree with you S id - I loved Chelsee and P asha and I would have preferred either Jason and K ristina or C and P to have won over the eventual winners that year - who 'just weren't my cup of tea'!!
I was watching P asha and Kimberley and remembered what a very high standard it was that year - that was the year they did one of my all time favourite SCD weeks - 'The Fusion Show' which was never repeated Sad

I do like P asha and he has had a run of bad luck with his partners (particularly this year!!!)but I do think he fares less well with the less able celebs and hasn't managed to steer any of his less able partners beyond the first few weeks.

Good show last night - enjoyed the Friday panel - the comedian was hilarious, spoke some truth and as someone has said, deserved a show to himself. I too like Martin McCutcheon - very natural and down to earth in a non forced way.

As for YASB - I think her style of choreography might have gone down better a few years ago when the show seemed to move more towards performance over technicalities - however, now that there is a welcome move back the other way I think her style doesn't necessarily suit the UK show. I think they might fare better with the AS as it is a more freestyle dance. It is all very well Joanne defending YASB's background but brilliant dancers do not always make the best teachers!! (I know I'm always saying this!). I can't help thinking how much better Davood might have been with Queen Nathalie....................Shocked

lastly - and probably not the right thread for this, but is anyone not enjoying the Sunday pro dances so much this year??? These have always been highlights for me but I don't enjoy the addition of the extra dancers as it seems to make the floor much too crowded and the routines too 'busy' - they are morphing much more into stage pieces and I don't think the studio is big enough to get the right impact?? Thoughts?

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:28 am

mauveangel09 wrote:
lastly - and probably not the right thread for this, but is anyone not enjoying the Sunday pro dances so much this year???   These have always been highlights for me but I don't enjoy the addition of the extra dancers as it seems to make the floor much too crowded and the routines too 'busy' - they are morphing much more into stage pieces and I don't think the studio is big enough to get the right impact??   Thoughts?  

I did love the 'It's a sin' group dance at Halloween, but apart from that haven't really enjoyed the pro dances. Yes, it seems there's too many dancers on stage, often with wheeled props, and it just looks crowded. I think a big group dance is fine for the big Blackpool floor, but doesn't suit the small studio. The storytelling in the group dances is pretty much lost on me (why does every dance these days seem to need a complicated back-story?).  

Really enjoyed the Friday panel - don't know who Tom Allen is, but I want him back!!  Liked Martine McCutcheon - even though she was there to sing/flog a record, at least she'd obviously watched the shows and had good comments to make. I remember when the guy from Blue was on the panel a few weeks back (also to sing/flog a record) but he didn't seem to have any comments to make on the panel.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:10 am

jingle wrote:

The storytelling in the group dances is pretty much lost on me (why does every dance these days seem to need a complicated back-story?).  

absolutely Jingle Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:57 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:
Lisa Riley seemed a bit subdued on the Friday panel, was it because she was overshadowed by Tom?

Zoe didn't seem to "go to her" as many times but tbh (and I know it's a bit harsh) I don't think Lisa Riley is particularly articulate or engaging. Everything's "fantastic" and "brilliant" and I kinda want a bit more than that from my FP. On the very odd occasion I've caught Loose Women and heard her speak, she's all over the place.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:41 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:As for YASB - I think her style of choreography might have gone down better a few years ago when the show seemed to move more towards performance over technicalities  - however, now that there is a welcome move back the other way I think her style doesn't necessarily suit the UK show.   I think they might fare better with the AS as it is a more freestyle dance.   It is all very well Joanne defending YASB's  background but brilliant dancers do not always make the best teachers!! 
I was thinking about what Jo said (that Nadiya was straight from the competing world, and not used to the Strictly Show concept) then I thought well so was Gio. It's taken him a few years (as far as I'm concerned) to calm down a bit, and settle in. It's ironic that he started off with all the youngsters, and everything had to be top speed and lifts galore, yet now, with Debbie he's had to adapt, slow down, and really focus on his partner's ability, which I must say he has done beautifully. He's producing some lovely choreography. I didn't like him to start with, and thought he was a sleaze ball but, seeing how he's looked after Debbie, I've changed my mind and he's now on my good side.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Quite nauseating the fawning over Aston on ITT. Everyone (barring the winner) has to go sometime. Interesting to hear he intends opening up and run a dance school which kind of vindicates what a lot of us know that he was too good going in.

Interesting in CC hearing Debbie being criticized for being unsteady at times. Backs up what many of us here felt that although it was a great Tango it was not worthy of a maximum score and C.raig's grovelling at Debbie's feet.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:12 pm

I thought Janette was very gracious in defeat. No whingeing or excuses, made it clear that she didn't agree with the scoring without being offensive. AND acknowledging that you have to vote if you want your favourite to stay in!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:23 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:I thought Janette was very gracious in defeat. No whingeing or excuses, made it clear that she didn't agree with the scoring without being offensive. AND acknowledging that you have to vote if you want your favourite to stay in!

Indeed. Perhaps she realizes deep down that her choreography was the big problem and nothing the judges could be blamed for.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Interesting to compare Janette's gracious behaviour in front of the judges, and on ITT, with Bren dans outrage by proxy in similar situations
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next