Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

+8
Tappingfeet
TANGOLERO
CaledonianCraig
diamondsandpearls
Sid
mauveangel09
B4p
saxonsiren
12 posters

Page 27 of 33 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33  Next

Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 27 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  saxonsiren Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 pm

It is a difficult dance and not one of my favourites. .. I still predict Alex out in semi final just not the fan base. Didn't bond with her in XF and I haven't in SCD. It' just a connection thing and I can't force a yes win it' a please don't vote Alex if a d/o with Joe in or Gemma
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 27 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:20 pm

saxonsiren wrote:It is a difficult dance and not one of my favourites. .. I still predict Alex out in semi final just not the fan base. Didn't bond with her in XF and I haven't in SCD. It' just a connection thing and I can't force a yes win it' a please don't vote Alex if a d/o with Joe in or Gemma
The problem is that if she is in the dance-off with anyone other than Debbie I will guarantee the judges will save her. Okay Joe may have a fighting chance but not Mollie or Gemma.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:30 pm

It' a tough call CC. I don't think we will have a Debbie v Alex dance 9ff. If Joe/Gemma v Alexa ill be screaming at tv.... Guess my cats votes will all go on One person and my votes may be more tactical possibly to keep Joe in x
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Interestingly, did Alex get pulled up for no facial expresdions in Charleston?? I don't recall her having any. Also why does C.raig drool over her then in tonight's look back he picked up on two faults alone with her dance? And watch the show again and when you get a longer camera shot the judges almost look like bloody cheer leaders in the background during Alex's dance. At the end of the dance Tess never even got the chance to say whose opinion she wanted first as B.runo burst in immediately gushing praise. Sorry but it was really embarassing for a Charleston that wasn't even the best Charleston of the series.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:48 pm

Gorka literally didn't say a word! As you say Sax, don't get the vibe that they will be meeting up for a pint in the New Year. I have to say, though he is VERY pretty to look at, and he sounds swoony-licious, my estmation of him as a pro has diminished a little. Some of his choreography has been a bit off, and as we are all noticing, he doesn't seem to be particularly behind Alex. In fact, I would go as far as to say that from the look on his face when the red light came on that he didn't look particularly gutted - more slightly seeing a way out sign briefly light up, then realise that the dance off was against Davood and seeing the light go off again....

And in the dance off Alex didn't address the two things that C,raig was twuntering on about - the legs akimbo propellers (to be fair, Gorka's were the same) and the standy-uppy barrel turn (to be fair, Gorka's were the same... Getting a feeling the Charleston isn't his dance...)

Still, even so, she was better than Davood, who though he marginally improved in the dance-off, immediately spoilt the effect by nearly splatting YASB head first into the floor in their last dance. It very nearly was for YASB....
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 27 Empty Re: Strictly 17 a little bit honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:40 pm

I started off feeling a bit sorry for Davood and Nadiya at being stitched up with their music choice - however, when I saw the dance again in the DO - despite the rubbish music they could have actually done some more AT steps within it and some of the moves and lifts that are unique to the AT were missing - I feel it was the right decision to say good bye to them even though we didn't see Alex and Gorka at their best this weekend.

Gorka just looked shattered throughout I thought - I'm not sure he's actually capable of being that empathetic with his celeb (sorry Gorka fans). I must admit that once I knew Joe and Debbie were through, I lost interest a bit Embarassed but again it proves what we said last week that Gemma has a big fanbase - the only one left now who has not been in the DO.

I thoroughly enjoyed the results show tonight - the pro dancing was excellent, much better than what it has generally been this season, and I loved the clip of Ed Balls dancing with C laud and T ess before the live show on Saturday....I'm glad they showed this. Roll on the semis................ Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:08 pm

I'm every woman? What a howling match they made of a classic seventies song. Is it just me? It seemed like three women trying to out-scream each other. As for the rest, Ebebezer had it right. " Pah, humbug". You can get your boots ready to bet on Debbie for the bauble, the rest we'll never know anyway. "As my mother used to say, "Ah, Borax" (or was it Bisto?) Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:39 pm

For Alexandra to fall from the top of the table to being in the dance-off must hurt, particularly when she was on 39 points to Davood's 29. Too dance offs and it looks like the public have decided to invest elsewhere.

I don't mind so much that she's in the competition, but it does get on me wick when none of the judges ever comment on her facial expressions (either serious or a frozen smile) and lack of characterisation. She's a paid performer after all, and I think it's a bit rich for Shirley to ask Gemma to act more, but none of the judges say the same to Alexandra. I understand she's had a recent loss, but she's also very focussed, and determined to give everything her best shot. I'm just puzzled that it doesn't include pretending to be a character.

Mollie doesn't usually act a part either, but then again she's primarily a singer. Debbie is 'teeth, hair and jazz hands' most weeks, despite her being a stage performer but she's always aware of where the camera is. I think out of the performers, Joe the only one left that actually uses and plays to the camera. This was very evident this week. Davood always seem to be oblivious to the camera yet alone out to exploit it. In fact Ore last year, and Aston this year positively milked every camera angle. I know Gemma is a radio presenter but is she an actor too?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:59 pm

B4p wrote: I know Gemma is a radio presenter but is she an actor too?
Yes. She's done quite a lot of TV including stints on Hollyoaks, Casualty and most recently, Emmerdale. That's why - in my opinion - Shirley's "20% more acting" wasn't merely meaningless, but frankly bitchy.

Last edited by Twirlie on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:02 am

Twirlie wrote:
Yes. She's done quite a lot of TV including stints on Hollyoaks, Casualty and most recently, Emmerdale.
Thanks Twirlie Smile
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:05 am

Been out so missed most of results show and just catching up on comments. Diamonds thanks for putting the clips up of moon river - I think my mind is playing tricks re the yellow dress! Wink wasn't Sophie beautiful *sigh*

So Alexandra doesn't have the public vote, even with a Charleston -as someone said, usually a crowd pleaser and vote catcher. I'm really interested in the dynamics of it all, clearly Mollie and Gemma are getting a huge numbe.r of votes. I normally vote for Gemma, but this week I made the choice to save Mollie (obvs it was all down to me lol) rather than her because if I'd had to choose to save one of them last night it would have been Mollie. I respectfully disagree with you Mr T, I actually think Joe is where the money is at for the glitterball. So if we follow this week's pattern and Gemma/Mollie get voted through it would make a very interesting DO. I'm not sure that Alex would automatically beat Joe or Debbie. On paper it should be Mollie and Gemma slugging it out for a place in the final, but I'm going to put it out there that it could be neither - how would I feel if the final was Joe Debbie Gemma and Mollie? I'm OK with that-clearly they are not as good a dancer as Alex and there are a couple of hers I wouldn't mind seeing again, but I would probably prefer to see G and M's again to see how they'd improved. All depends on semis ...I'm scooting over to see what dances left? Any hints tonight? Are they doing two next week?
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:08 am

So Action Man Davood gets put back into his box. He had a decent enough run but he never set my world alight. As for YASB, I'm not fussed if she comes back or not. I didn't really rate her own attempt at AT let alone her partner's.

Am in the minority (again!) re: Alex in that I don't think it's a case of her not characterising the dances but a missing synergy between her and Gorka makes it look like they're performing the dance as two separate entities rather than in unison and this creates a lack of emotion between them and between them and us. I really, really hope she gets through to the final on the public vote. 3 DO's in a row when she's arguably the best overall dancer there (or at least tied with Debs) would be a real punch to the gut and I feel like she's been through enough.

Joe ftw. I've decided.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:24 am

Sid wrote:
Am in the minority (again!) re: Alex in that I don't think it's a case of her not characterising the dances but a missing synergy between her and Gorka makes it look like they're performing the dance as two separate entities rather than in unison and this creates a lack of emotion between them and between them and us. I really, really hope she gets through to the final on the public vote. 3 DO's in a row when she's arguably the best overall dancer there (or at least tied with Debs) would be a real punch to the gut and I feel like she's been through enough.
No, I don't think you're in the minority re Alex and Gorka at all. Everyone I've spoken to as well as a few on this forum think exactly the same.

I'm in two minds about the "she's been through enough" side of things. Tess referred to her mother tonight and she nearly burst into tears on set.  Really? How many weeks is it since her death? Not that many of course, but if she was in a show, she'd be expected to dance and sing in joyous fashion with no one making excuses for her.I've never been an advocate it before now but I think a bit of stiff upper lip is needed. And less forced gush.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:37 am

Twirlie wrote:I'm in two minds about the "she's been through enough" side of things. Tess referred to her mother tonight and she nearly burst into tears on set. Really? How many weeks is it since her death? Not that many of course, but if she was in a show, she'd be expected to dance and sing in joyous fashion with no one making excuses for her.I've never been an advocate it before now but I think a bit of stiff upper lip is needed. And less forced gush.

I am brought to mind of Jonnie. He wanted to be judged on a level playing field, no excuses . I wouldn't be so crass as to equate loss of a loved one alongside 'babywarz' where they reel babies/family/cute kids/grandparents in to make 'cute' VTs and win votes, I'm sure Alex would want to judged on her own merit too, but everyone (Tess!) needs to stop going on about her departed mother for that to happen. The show must go on after all.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:25 am

So the quarters have been and gone and we have only the semis and the final to look forward to.

I have been championing Gemma and Mollie all series but I think the time has come to say that neither of them are final material and the correct course of events would be for the two of them to be in the dance off this weekend and only one of them to be in the final.

I actually felt genuinely sorry for Alexandra last night. To be top of the leaderboard and also in the dance off must be a real kick in the guts and I’m sure she might even be wondering whether it was a wise decision to take part in the show at all; it may have harmed rather than enhanced her popularity.

She, Debbie and Joe all deserve a place in the final, that’s for sure.

I am expecting Joe to lift the glitter all and I wouldn’t be disappointed with that.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:20 am

I have to point out im not bashing in this post just answering a few of my thoughts. I haven't bonded with Alex I didn't in XF either similar to DVO, Natalie, Russell, Ann, Lulu,  just not tickled my viewing fancy.

It was a difficult call yes re Alex deciding to commit to SCD after death of her mother. I'm just now tired of Tess repeatedly bringing up the issue, why keep referring to it? Similar sorry but the I'm 59 comment every time from Debbie also grating me. I'e  slept badly so its grumpy Monday but i digress. I'm sure Alex similar to Jonnie didn't want or seek different treatment. . I recall Kelly Brook deciding to leave show rather than carry on and not be 100% focused after a bereavement.  It's the celeb/tv reality who decide if they can fulfill their contract. 
Alex has been the judges favourite and has repeatedly had pigeon toes and frozen expressions overlooked and not commented on by the judge's.  Jonnie continual bum posture/central core, Gemma re acting, Mollie re arms, pose, Susan re not enough lines. Davood more umph, Charlotte never given a fair comment soul destroying. The controversial Aston leaving and being in the dance off. I just feel that it' been one sided from the judges.... We have has a top scorer before in the dance off the "Shock exits" 

All of the stars of SCD will see a psychologist re attention negative and positive from public/media etc. Their agents will have determined a set fee too for this j.ourney. Quite a few have had a flagging career lifted after spell in any reality/TV show, written a book, song or a keep fit dvd. The old any free publicity is good for the star.....

I'd prefer the judges to be unbiased and score re footwork, frame, choreography and improvement however tiny in the areas they have advised. Stop fawning, stop stop bowing/purring etc it' making me  No.....
Two sets of marks, technical merit & presentation would be fairer and some couples may gain points from one section or both.

Ok I'm hiding behind a Stone .... xx
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 am

saxonsiren wrote: I've  slept badly so its grumpy Monday but i digress.
Me too!

saxonsiren wrote:
It was a difficult call yes re Alex deciding to commit to SCD after death of her mother. I'm just now tired of Tess repeatedly bringing up the issue, why keep referring to it? Similar sorry but the I'm 59 comment every time from Debbie also grating me. [...]
I'm sure Alex similar to Jonnie didn't want or seek different treatment. . I recall Kelly Brook deciding to leave show rather than carry on and not be 100% focused after a bereavement.  It's the celeb/tv reality who decide if they can fulfill their contract. 

I totally agree, once you've decided on a course of action, get on with it. (Did we ever find out why Will Young left?)

I came across a piece of real determination a couple of years ago. I was watching the Tchaikovsky Piano Competition on a classical music channel. One of the finalists mother died just before his final concert and he had to decide whether to go back to Siberia for the funeral or play in the final. He played in the final and won. Mind you, I'm pretty sure the 12 jury members didn't give him the prize because they felt sorry for him, and admittedly giving up Strictly is ever so slightly different! This chap had been working solidly from 6 months to a year solely for this moment rather than the couple of weeks before the first show that the clebs have done! I suspect his mother would have been proud of him.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Tappingfeet Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:32 am

I must say I thought C raig mentioning Alexandras mum right at a low moment was really  insensitive .I will give him that he meant well  but when you feel low anyway and a dance off looming do you really  need reminding that your Mum would have loved this ? I mean really it was a very bad call to mention her then and it could well have set off a meltdown in Alexandra . I am not a huge fan of hers but have great sympathy for how raw  this is for her right now
Tappingfeet
Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:54 am

On FB this morning I have lots of friends commenting on the DO. All are complaining about Alexandra's feet. "Pigeon toes..." and why do the judges never pick her up on it etc etc. Lots of silly comments as well of course. Why was she dressed as a cross between Annie Oakley and The Village People!  But all the real dancers complain about her technical ability, particularly her feet, and a fair proportion saying that Davood danced better in the DO and should have stayed. Only their opinion of course.

On another note, one person mentioned how faux "nice" Alexendra seemed, and was immediately shot down by a couple of people who'd worked with her saying, "No - she really is that nice."
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Red tops full of Mrs Clifton this morning, for all the wrong reasons.

On the vote off. Davood was never going to oust Alexandra if he'd put in a display of Rudolf Nureyev, Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly combined with the Clarke Brothers. It's written by, sorry "in" the stars. Have to keep in mind that somebody was going home out of no rea duck-eggs and that it was always one of four not six. Same will happen next week with " so long it's been good to know you" for either Gemma or Mollie, bet on it. That said, that's about right, but just annoying knowing that if the prima donnas' are in the dance off they're going through anyway. Darcy's face when Alex was even in the D.O. was enough to tell the tale.

There is no anti feminist in me now saying "Come on Joe!". So , I will...COME ON JOE! ...... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Twirlie wrote:
On another note, one person mentioned how faux "nice" Alexendra seemed, and was immediately shot down by a couple of people who'd worked with her saying, "No - she really is that nice."

Well there you go...I hope TOff in the jungle is equally as uber nice as she appears. There seems to be some vitriol floating around Alex, she's not my favourite by any stretch but I don't get where all the nastiness is coming from.
Mr T wrote:Red tops full of Mrs Clifton this morning, for all the wrong reasons
I hear (soon to be ex?) Mrs Redknapp may have an available shoulder for her ex partner to cry on Rolling Eyes
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Twirlie wrote:
No, I don't think you're in the minority re Alex and Gorka at all. Everyone I've spoken to as well as a few on this forum think exactly the same.

I'm in two minds about the "she's been through enough" side of things. Tess referred to her mother tonight and she nearly burst into tears on set.  Really? How many weeks is it since her death? Not that many of course, but if she was in a show, she'd be expected to dance and sing in joyous fashion with no one making excuses for her.I've never been an advocate it before now but I think a bit of stiff upper lip is needed. And less forced gush.

We are all different Twirlie. I lost my Dad two years ago and you just never know when you are going to be caught out. I think you can hold it together when there are no unexpected reminders, but Tess just blurted that out of nowhere - I was emotional myself when she said that to Alex, because it reminded ME of the loss of my dad. It can be just a small thing out of nowhere - s song on the radio, a smell, seeing a particlualr flower or a garden. And someone just blatantly reminding you of the grief of it all is hard to be all stiff upper lip about because you are so unprepared. I have been in tears in some very strange and public places. There is no text book on how long it takes for grief to run it's course. My mother is still in bits - she was numb for the first 18 months and now the avalanche of grief has swept her away and floored her. Alexandra is very focussed and professional and she got through the dance off dance itself with no hitches - she didn't blub or break down at that point. She pulled herself together and the show went on. It was the unexpectedness of Tess' comment which caught her out. I am one of Tess' few fans, but even I was muttering at the screen when she came out with that at that point. Unnecessary and not in Alex's best interests. If Alex was in a show she would be performing, not having to interact as herself with anyone - she would be playing the part and immerseing herself in the performance. Which she did when it came down to it in the dance off.

Having said that, I agree with the view that there is no connection between her and Gorka. I am more and more getting the feeling he doesn't like her and he is beginning to let this show. As Sid says, this dis-connection is what we see, and no matter how well she dances it is not such an enjoyable watch as Joe and Katya or Gemma and Aljaz, or even Mollie and AJ. But I kind of blame that on Gorka....

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:56 pm

saxonsiren wrote:

Two sets of marks, technical merit & presentation would be fairer and some couples may gain points from one section or both.

Ok I'm hiding behind a Stone .... xx

Come out from behind that stone Sax! I think I have suggested something like this before, and if I haven't I certainly think it and very much agree with you.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:04 pm

I don't believe Tess or the judges should be bringing up the passing of Alexandra's mum either. It doesn't feel appropriate and there's an X-Factorishness about raising it. But that doesn't stop me thinking about it in my head and just feeling a bit sorry for the girl and thinking she's having a bit of a rough time of it at the moment. People grieve differently. Some take longer than others  - who knows if Alex has even had a chance to grieve properly yet what with the timing of her mum's death coinciding with the launch of the show. Maybe it's something she'll properly come to terms with when it's all over.

As for Gorka, I don't think he was fed up with Alexandra but pissed off with the voters (neither is a good look!).
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Sid wrote:I don't believe Tess or the judges should be bringing up the passing of Alexandra's mum either. It doesn't feel appropriate and there's an X-Factorishness about raising it. But that doesn't stop me thinking about it in my head and just feeling a bit sorry for the girl and thinking she's having a bit of a rough time of it at the moment. People grieve differently. Some take longer than others  - who knows if Alex has even had a chance to grieve properly yet what with the timing of her mum's death coinciding with the launch of the show. Maybe it's something she'll properly come to terms with when it's all over.

As for Gorka, I don't think he was fed up with Alexandra but pissed off with the voters (neither is a good look!).

I think doing Strictly might very well be her way of coping with it. I know I sought refuge at work - the normality of it all soothed me, and having to bright and breezy with customers took my mind off the awfulness. Not all of us are ready to deal with the grief straight away, although it always gets you in the end. So, though it is a delaying tactic, it is probably what Alexandra needed to deal with the awfulness. For the most part it is somehting that she can control and be focussed and that distracts her from her emotions and the pain. But when there is an unexpected reference she is unprepared and blind-sided.

This is all comjecture of course, because as I say, we all grieve differently and there is no text book or rules about how we should. But I certainly don't judge Alexandra for emotional tears in that context (unlike Ore who just... cried), or for how she choose to handle her grieving process.

An interesting perspective of Gorka's lack of speech and fed-up demeanour. I hadn't thought of that...

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 33 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33  Next