Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

+7
Moova 12
CaledonianCraig
fiftynotout
mauveangel09
diamondsandpearls
TANGOLERO
B4p
11 posters

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  Twirlie Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:48 pm

I felt very sorry for Dev and Dianne tonight. Poor girl was sobbing in his arms at the end. The other pros were wonderful to rush to the pair and huddle around them so they weren't "on view" in their distress. I was sure that they would last to past Blackpool anyway. I'm sure Dianne did as well. I didn't think either couple deserved to be in the DO this week. I expected it to be David and Alex/Will/Mike and for David to go. Weird.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 pm

So - the first week where someone goes home who does not deserve to go - and the first week that both DO couples were not the weakest dancers by a long chalk. The campaign to keep David James out of the DO obviously worked.

The judges were expressing their surprise at seeing Dev in the DO but in a way they were partly responsible for how this weekend panned out with their bizarre scoring. I think we all sensed it was going to be a shock one this week. In a way I was not surprised to see Emma there because I have worried about her ability to pull in the votes from the very first - she is one of the least known celebs and I wouldn't think she has such a big following. I feel we are still in the part of the contest where it matters to have a fan base. Dev I think suffered a bit from a bit of a naff track and going on early.

All that said, I really thought that Dev did not dance the routine as well the second time round - not sure why. I don't know what others thought? I'm sure it was much better the first time round. Somehow, in trying to raise the performance level he became sharp and staccato and for me completely lost the hip action and any sort of action. Maybe his nerves got to him? So I feel it was entirely the right decision to keep Emma - she really went for it and did a great routine.

Shame to see Diane so upset afterwards - I really felt for them as I thought he had real potential. Lest we forget....anything can happen with SCD.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:18 pm

I think Dev was unlucky on three fronts. First he should not have been in the dance-off. Secondly, this just happened to be one of those dances he struggled with. Thirdly, he ended up in the dance-off against another who did not deserve to be there.

However, the judges made the right call. I just think Emma had her best dance thos week compared to Dev having his worst.

For me Will lucked out avoiding the dance-off and maybe Alex too.

As to why Dev toiled in the dance-off dance I just think he was in total shock and not prepared mentally for it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:45 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:As to why Dev toiled in the dance-off dance I just think he was in total shock and not prepared mentally for it.
I agree. He looked totally shell shocked when he found that he was in the dance off.
It was his worst week, the dance didn't suit him, the music was dire, and he didn't get the public vote.
Was the voting phone line down as the conspiracy theorists are claiming, or was it just the usual case of the majority of the public thinking he was safe?
What I can't understand is why all 4 judges threw him under the bus. That must have really hurt both of them
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:47 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:
All that said, I really thought that Dev did not dance the routine as well the second time round - not sure why. I don't know .

I thought at the time, from his almost shell-shocked expression that he was in the dance off at all, that it might affect him. Welcome to the world buddy!. It obviously did, although he might not be totally au-fait with the ludicrousity (is that a word?) of Strictly; that it's a popularity contest first and foremost. Many a one of both sexes who didn't deserve it, has fallen by the wayside when the Strictly mobile mafioso get to work. Based purely on the performance, all the judges voted rightly because Emma's jive was the better of the two. He'll get over it.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:05 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

I thought at the time, from his almost shell-shocked expression that he was in the dance off at all, that it might affect him. Welcome to the world buddy!. It obviously did, although he might not be totally au-fait with the ludicrousity (is that a word?) of Strictly; that it's a popularity contest first and foremost.  Many a one of both sexes who didn't deserve it, has fallen by the wayside when the Strictly mobile mafioso get to work. Based purely on the performance, all the judges voted rightly because Emma's jive was the better of the two. He'll get over it.

So very true TANGOLERO. He is not the first celeb to exit before his time and he won't be the last.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:41 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:So very true TANGOLERO. He is not the first celeb to exit before his time and he won't be the last.
Crystal Ball time - Christmas Special and guess who will win? (another Aston scenario no doubt)
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:26 pm

B4p wrote:
Crystal Ball time - Christmas Special and guess who will win? (another Aston scenario no doubt)

Hard to say just now.

My money may be on Kelvin if the judges continue gushing and a proportion of the voting public follow suit with his hip fascination.

Another obvious candidate is Karim. However, I feel a number of people will see though him and be put off by his over-confidence and sense of self-importance.

Michelle is another candidate but may suffer burn-out and lack of public support.

Emma B will need to up her performances to be a real candidate but there is time for that to happen. For me though she needs to be more confident and lose her inhibitions.

The rest would need to make big strides to become contenders but there is time.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:22 pm

B4p wrote:

Kelvin - Rumba
A good rumba. He’s got rhythm in spade loads. The only thing I noticed was his right shoulder was lifting up round his ear on the forward and backward Rumba walks. I thought it interesting that Claudia asked Oti if there was any dance he wouldn’t be so good at and Oti said ‘I won’t say or they’ll give it to us’. I'm intrigued as to what their 'Couples Choice' dance will be.

THIS B4p, this!  This is what I have been trying to explain and why I think his shoulders get in his way.  It's funny that only you and I have noticed it - I was seriously wondering that my reaction against the collective Kelvin drool was making me see things! I also compared this rumba to Danny and Oti's rumba - and I will concede that Kelvin's hip action is better. But Danny just seemed.... tighter is the only way to describe it. And yes Twirlie, Danny is not in this year's competiton, but he is always going to be the one I compare any s leb with, and especially those who are partnered with Oti!

And I reckon they will do the musical theatre one (Couple's Choice dance, I mean...)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:54 pm

Have been away to the back of beyond last night (well, back o'Skiddaw anyway) and am just catching up on all the drama.

1. It was as I predicted, with two of the people I was worried about being in the dance off

2. The judges scores TOTALLY made that happen, and deserve Oscars for feigning surprise that two of the more able dancers were in the dance off

3. You'd have thought either B runo or C raig would have gone against what they are supposed to do and saved Dev based on dance potential, rather than the second performance in the dance off (it's never stopped them in the past...)

4. If the format was as per Diamond's Fantasy Strictly this would never have happened and never could happen...! Wink

*Sashays off, throwing her silk stole dramtically over one shoulder*
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:05 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Hard to say just now.

My money may be on Kelvin if the judges continue gushing and a proportion of the voting public follow suit with his hip fascination.

Another obvious candidate is Karim. However, I feel a number of people will see though him and be put off by his over-confidence and sense of self-importance.

Michelle is another candidate but may suffer burn-out and lack of public support.

Emma B will need to up her performances to be a real candidate but there is time for that to happen. For me though she needs to be more confident and lose her inhibitions.

The rest would need to make big strides to become contenders but there is time.

With so much progress after four weeks, it has to be hoped no one peaks too soon. Surprisingly good level for so early, but none of that will matter if favouritism is the name of the game. ( as if there were any question) Dingle farm is a highly popular  dance school; remember Mandy...bounce
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

Shame to see Diane so upset afterwards - I really felt for them as I thought he had real potential.  Lest we forget....anything can happen with SCD.

In all seriousness I found this very upsetting myself. She was so distraught. It is easy to forget that the pros are SO invested and when they have someone they feel have some potential it must be gutting not to be able to continue their development and progress. Also, there is always going to be the feeling that you haven't been a good enough teacher or a good enough choreographer - especially when all four judges go against you. I was watching the pros and Amy was also crying, with Janette and Karen also looking anguished. I found myself welling up in sympathy and then felt quite angry that quite possibly the producers were playing with people's emotions in order to get good ratings. Dianne has never been a favourite of mine, but this was hard to watch and I had every sympathy for her (and yes, yes, this is the nature of the show - but I don't have to like it. I never have and can't forsee that I ever will. And you can be sure I will continue to campaign for my fantasy version...!)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Okay so Dev was unlucky. However, I find the over-reaction by people taking to starting a change.org petition as way OTT. As TANGOLERO stated it happens - it's Strictly. How many better potential dancers exited whilst the likes of Ed Balls and Ann Widdecombe had their fun? Loads I would guess. I never heard Joe Public making such a fuss then when better dancers were culled by them.

I get that Strictly screws some people up emotionally but I suppose that is part of the attraction knowing that people care so much. But claiming it is a conspiracy is a step too far. Why would it be? Whst would the BBC have to gain? After all Dev is one of their own.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:05 pm

The only thing I would say CC is that there was something going on with the judges and David and Nadiya - it was as though they had been told to give him higher scores to try to bunce him up the leaderboard - add to that all the pleadings to vote for him and 'hope he's not in the Dance Off again' flim flam...…………………… and it worked!!! I thought that if he was going to get the bounce vote it would have been last week and it wasn't - so next week will be interesting.

Sadly I think all four judges did make the right choice as it should only be on the dance in front of them at the time and Emma's was the better one.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:23 pm

David deserved a higher score this week no two ways about that. Was he over-marked? Just a bit but so was Kelvin, Emma B and one or two others. Dev got marks he deserved in my opinion.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:09 pm

B4P -  Your comments about the 'Christmas Special'   - Yes spot on!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I was just reflecting on what turned into a bit of an explosive weekend!   I do think that Fifty summed things up perfectly by saying that the Production Team don't like it when GBP and the judges agree - so the controversy of this weekend would be just what they want - everyone is talking about SCD!    boom!

Twirlie was mentioning that it is unusual for him to get favourites so early on  - I know what you mean.   There is quite a few of them that I like this year, but I am waiting for one of the girls to give the two top boys a run for their money.  I thought that Michelle and Gio would be the challengers but I do hope that she doesn't peak too early.  I've loved what they've done so far but whilst I enjoyed their dance on Saturday it didn't move me as much as some of the ones that they've done  previously much as I loved the music - it didn't seem to be danced with heart and soul this week.  Watching it back I  also think the costumes were a bit over the top and I thought that Michelle's hair didn't suit her - it looked manic somehow. She said on ITT tonight that she found last week tough and was still thinking about getting the steps right at performance time.

I'm also liking Catherine and the two Emmas - but on the basis of landing in the DO last night I feel that unless Emma W does something special and catches on with GBP - then she maybe isn't going to be around for the long haul - I do hope that she can make it through a bit longer as I'm definitely not ready to see her exit yet and I'm enjoying the routines that Alijaz is doing with her.     Emma B needs to let go a bit and also get some soul into it.  I feel she has more in her and we haven't seen the best of her yet. Of this trio - Catherine seems to be showing the most promise at this early stage.   Whilst I didn't think the Charleston was their best dance - she went all out to sell it as though it was.  She has a great personality and I love the partnership with Johannes who is so good.

On the male side - I'm in the Kelvin camp but I just can't help having a soft spot for Will.   He is certainly bringing out something that I haven't noticed before in Janette - who has always been one of my least liked pros - in terms of teaching and choreography - (not as a dancer I hasten to add)  I have always felt that she hasn't really progressed her celebs much and has done some weak choreography -  I found the partnership with Dr Ranj last year just silly and irritating  but I have been so impressed this year with her care and support of Will - she comes across as such a nice genuine person and is clearly relishing the chance to teach him and adapt the dances.

Lastly I think there a few dark horses out there that have the potential to bring it to those currently at the top that's if they get the chance of course - Saffron could be one of them - I thought Dev might be one of them but sadly that wasn't to be - however, there has always been shock exits and they know what they are signing up for at the end of the day.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things will pan out over the next weeks...……….

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:17 pm

The judges did their job by the book, ie, judging the dance off. Rightly or wrongly, that's what they're supposed to do, not judge on potential, personal favouritism or future promise, but who dances better in those 90 sec trials on the night.. I won't say this has always been the case, but it's how it should be. Emma rose to the challenge the better of the two and nothing else matters. Nobody died and they're all getting handsomely paid for learning to dance. Change dot borax, if you'll excuse that. Evil or Very Mad
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:25 pm

TANGOLERO wrote: they're all getting handsomely paid for learning to dance.

lol! Too true!!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:59 pm

I'm not overly enamoured with any of the females at the moment, and I'm not really assosciating any of the females with their dancing yet.  
I do like Catherine's self deprecating humour, and Michelle's work ethic.

Am I the only one who get's Catherine and Emma B confused?  When I think of Emma B, I just see overacting bordering on gurning. Emma W as a chocolate ca.k.e maker who only eats fresh air. I can't make my mind up about Saffron. She's having a teenage ball making her nan proud. I like Alex, but she's holding back and not fully committing. I hope she gets her breakthrough dance soon or she'll start sinking along with her confidence.

As in previous series, within a few weeks it'll come back down to the clevernest of the pro's choreography, and how the contestants can perform the assigned concept (dancing and footwork will be a cherry on the lingerie, not necessarily in the basic recipe).
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:09 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:
THIS B4p, this!  This is what I have been trying to explain and why I think his shoulders get in his way.  It's funny that only you and I have noticed it
I think his muscular shoulders and chest are making his neck seem shorter, so it wouldn't take much for him to lose his neck line in ballroom hold or bump his biceps on his ears when his arms go overhead in the latin.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:03 am

B4p wrote:
I think his muscular shoulders and chest are making his neck seem shorter, so it wouldn't take much for him to lose his neck line in ballroom hold or bump his biceps on his ears when his arms go overhead in the latin.

Gave me a laugh B4p, but it couldn't happen in reality. He'd have to be hanging off the ceiling in handcuffs to do that. Try it (not the handcuffs)...Louis Smith had a very muscular build, (and he won), Austin Healey likewise. Muscles shouldn't be a detriment at all.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 am

TANGOLERO wrote:

Gave me a laugh B4p, but it couldn't happen in reality. He'd have to be hanging off the ceiling in handcuffs to do that. Try it (not the handcuffs)...Louis Smith had a very muscular build, (and he won), Austin Healey likewise. Muscles shouldn't be a detriment at all.

I think both Louis Smith and Austin Healey (who both have the phwoar! factor) had muscles that were nicely toned but, more importantly, totally in proportion with the rest of their body. They had made the most of their assets whereas Kelvin (negative phwoar!) has pumped his muscles up disproportionately which gives his body an odd (to me) shape. It’s all a question of taste and I simply don’t like the unnatural look.

I know (and do believe) that it’s what’s on the inside that counts but we are judging (partly) on whether we like what we see - not just the dancing but the whole package - and I’m afraid I don’t. Not right or wrong, in the same way that I prefer the look of Emma’s face to Michelle’s.

The boy can dance, I’ll give him that, and seems a genuine lovely family man with a good work ethic. I’d still rather watch Dev.

Which brings me nicely on to my big bug bear (we all have one). I’m totally relaxed about the show’s format - the difference in ages, abilities, fitness, popularity, profile etc - and I’m not against eliminations happening almost from the get go. I’ve even got used to the props and theme weeks and Tess & Claude’s frocks. But what irritates me more and more is that they don’t have comparable dances each week. We are always judging apples against pears. A Charleston is always a crowd pleaser and nearly always scores better than, say, a rhumba or a samba which are both technically very difficult. Dances should be categorised into, let’s say, four difficulty levels and then we only compare like with like. Rant over.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:09 am

[quote="fiftynotout"]

This....Full agreement.....^^^
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Agree 50. In order to jog the music monitors memory that there are plenty of good tunes out there, I'm off to resurrect the 'Dance Director for the week' thread.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:51 pm

fiftynotout wrote:. Dances should be categorised into, let’s say, four difficulty levels and then we only compare like with like.  Rant over.

A very interesting idea indeed. I wonder if would just complicate the scoring even more though...
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next