Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Little Bit of Honesty.

+25
Littlebear
vonee21
1superken
Little Ms Hit
gingercodgers
MissingLilia
CaledonianCraig
allsewnonbyhand
Sadiesamba
Sid
kate
David Tee
Tina Sparkle
Moova 12
saxonsiren
fiftynotout
IAmFullOfWonder
Lucielle
Maya53
mauveangel09
hatlady28
Wallflower
TANGOLERO
salsarae
jingle
29 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 2 Empty Re: A Little Bit of Honesty.

Post  Sid Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Dani and Vincent - Very clean but I think striving for technical perfection this week took away from the performance side of things. Dani didn't sell the Samba enough..

Kimberley and Pasha - Stunning dress (very pleased they didn't go with the white one in the end as it would have killed the mood). I thought the Tango was sharp and it held my attention all the way through. But Kim is still a bit floppy around the middle and I'm not sure about her Tango face (was a bit pouty for me).

Victoria and Brendan - They had a good go but Vic's out of her depth now. And Brendan was clearly hinting he'd had enough up in Tess's Tower!

Louis and Flavia - Some beautiful lines and shaping. But it was too polite. Where was the fire? I know the audience are willing Louis to do well, but I don't think any other contestant would have received a standing ovation for that Paso. And I don't think the judges were unreasonable with their comments and marks.

Lisa and Robin - What they lacked in elegance and finesse, they make up for in performance. I believe these two when they dance. They connect with the music and with each other.

Michael and Natalie - Quite stiff and awkward. I didn't get drawn into the story. Michael wasn't commanding enough. As much as I love these two, I'm beginning to think they'll only excel in Ballroom.

Nicky and Karen - Quirky, high-energy and I spotted some swivel. Maybe the judges got carried away with their marks a little, but it was my second favourite performance of the night.

James and Denise. - They saved the best til last. This was simply divine.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Dani
Her dance was thoroughly enjoyable. The yellow costume was flattering - she reminded be of Louisa Lytton. Great dance music. I am amazed how much she is improving. Although the judges didn't score it perfectly, I could see nothing wrong with it. If anything I would say it was better than Kimberley's Samba. They are safe.
Kimberley
I hardly recognised her with a different hairstyle - she looked so much older, not in a bad way. I didn't notice the mistake that was pointed out and thought they carried it off well. The music suited the Tango. In my opinion, she should have been above Nicky on the leaderboard. I don't think the judges have taken into consideration the difficulty element in comparison with hers against Nicky's dance, Nicky's being an easier dance to perform. I thought their comments too harsh. But she should be safe.
Victoria
Excellent music choice. She did deserve to be at the bottom end of the leaderboard, but should have at least tied with Michael if not even one point above him. At least she did a lot of steps, complicated armography and lifts. Because they carried on after the music stopped, they must have been quite a bit behind the music.
Louis
I agree with the judges that Louis didn't act the part and should have been more aggressive and dynamic. He's a lovely mover and should never have been third to bottom - level with Nicky imo.
Lisa
I thought the music wrong. We all know what the song is about and it didn't come across as a love song. Her performance sufferered because of it. I thought she danced well. She said she tried to put the passion across, well she did but the music foiled her attempts to be passionate, imo. The leg up at the end showed her flexibility which is remarkable for a woman of her size.
Michael
Good choice of music. Natalie fabulous but, oddly enough, it worked against him - her excellence in contrasted his weakness which I didn't expect. Also she had a shorter dress so his footwork was totally exposed. His dance and attitude appeared wishy-washy. He's in the danger zone.
Nicky
The Charleston wasn't that manic - lots of steps and it was fun. Nicky pulled it off. But he was overmarked imo. Perfection and preciseness in The Charleston isn't as important in, say, the Rumba and Tango, but this wasn't taken into consideration in the marking,imo. His actions at the beginning were remarkedly like Jim Carrey !
Denise
Dressed in pink to suit the occasion she glided seamlessly from move to move in the American Smooth - perhaps it was a bit on the safe side. I thought Eva Cassidy's version of Imagine might have been too light but they did dance to it perfectly - well not quite so perfectly as the judges pointed out, but I didn't see any faults. Not that keen on the ending with her laid out on his shoulders and then scrunched up, but deservedly top of the leaderboard.

So it's Michael and Victoria in the DO, unless the GBP vote in droves, then it will be Nicky or Lisa in the DO with Michael.

What I would like to see is Michael and Victoria in the DO with Victoria going home, although I put her above Michael, I don't think she's going to get any better but Michael may.
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sadiesamba Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Only 5 6 clips available on the website (Vic and Ren just in) so here's my comments so far

Dani & Vincent - I loved it - the girl can dance and very clever routine

Kimberley & Pasha - A lot of pouting and head action - quite good but didn't excite me

Victoria & Brendan - a few good moves but doesn't get it does she? Brendan's hot though!

Louis & Flavia - he does mean and moody well. Get the feeling he could do so much more - is Flavia 'stretching' him enough?.

Lisa & Robin - not available yet

Michael & Natalie - not available yet

Nicky & Karen - a fun routine and his best dance for me so far - he could survive another week.

Denise & James - Beautiful ballroom routine and appeared flawless on first view. Hated that final lift - the dress got in the way and ruined the lines.

So, whose safe and who goes ............... I really think its time for Victoria to go even without seeing all the dances. I'm finally warming to Dani but sadly DVO could walk it

PS
Lisa & Robin - music didn't help but her footwork was tidy and she's amazingly flexible for a big gal. Not enough 'passion' but a brave effort and so serious compared to her usual mood.

Just waiting for Michael now
Sadiesamba
Sadiesamba

Back to top Go down

Post  salsarae Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Much in agreeance with most of you, especially SId regarding Lisa and Lucielle with Dani and Denise.
Loved Dani´s samba,if she´d given it a little more oomph it would be a ten from me. Serious contender at this stage.
Kimberley- great, if a little too pouty, and if being really picky she needs just a little more firmness in the body, but really good effort.
Victoria-given the marks and from what I´ve read, too harsh, there was plenty of good technique there and she gave it her all. Think a few more points should have been given, although she is definitely the weakest now, but not by all that much really.
Louis-savaged by the judges, it needed more performance but I did see more than previous dances, he is blatantly trying. However, given everybody else´s improvement he needs to pull it out the bag sharpish. Undermarked again, by several points.
Lisa-emotes so well, but this was always going to be tricky for her, I think all things considered she did well.
Michael-stiff and lacking emotion. Oh my word though Natalie is stunning.
Nicky-his best yet, and on the whole much lighter on his feet(although there were stompy moments) and less hunching. He is much better when he has the feel for the song. No doubting his performance skills!
Denise-what she was given she did almost flawlessly,but it was a bit dull, James just churns out the same old routines it seems.
DO should be Victoria and Michael, with either of them going home depending on the final dance.
salsarae
salsarae

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 2 Empty Re: A little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Two thoughts to sum up tonight:
1. The music - as I suspected and as many of you have already said - it prevented most couples from producing special dances.
2. The mood - I think Wembley was the 'high' for some of the couples and the realization has set in that it is just a matter of time now.

Dani and Vincent
The music decreased the wow factor for me because I could see it was a great routine with some great choreography. She coped with the rhythm change very well. She also got the 'bounce' - one of the best dances for me.

Kimberley and Pasha
An improvement on her other ballroom dances to me - I thought this would suit her and she looked great, really nailed the attitude and had great top lines - but IMO the dance was a bit 'walky' in parts.

Victoria and Brendan
As expected - did her best - more like an early series performance to me. Bits of it were ok but I think the lifts and the arms were in there to cleverly deflect from the feet and lack of rhythm.

Louis and Flavia
Please get to the acting classes fast!!!!! He is just not learning about interpretation and I think that is what the judges are trying to say to him. However in his defence, I think the paso is one of the more challenging dances for the male celebs because apart from the cape swinging all eyes tend to be on the female dancer. I thought that C raigs '6' was unjustified - 4 '8's would have been more realistic as I thought that the routine was slick, well timed and performed well - little credit was given for the good bits - if he just could have had a bit more attack it would have been brill (even a few more stamps would have done!!!) I thought this dance would have suited him and it did to a certain extent he just needs to be less mechanical because he is so good..............grrrrrrr! And as for Darcey - since when was a paso a 'fun' dance????

Lisa and Robin
The judges comments were more realistic tonight but '27'! It wasn't half as good as Louis!!! I think the music was one of the main problems again - but of course the judges can't slag off the music! Must be frustrating. I think the rumba content was there and the steps were precise but it was like she was performing in her bubble and he in his - first time that I couldn't see the chemistry between them.

Michael and Nathalie
As I feared it was not a particularly strong performance - I felt that Colin and Kristina's early season AT was better than this but suppose I still base my comments on the ATs of yester year that were so polished in the semi final. It is not like that now that the dance is seen earlier in the series and I feel that it has just become a dance consisting of a series of lifts with the man as prop - which we saw tonight. I don't want to be harsh - I thought it was competent and I do think they peaked last week but I still would like to see Michael stay a bit longer over some of the others.

Nicky and Karen
Full of energy and character - good music and moves - and plenty of charleston steps although some of them not very polished. I just keep thinking of the 'mask' dance when I watch him. Not a performance to go out on though.

DvO and James
Great dance to do 'post' Wembley - loved the music, felt the routine was understated, fluid and 'smooth' - very nice performance especially to end the show. Knew Silver tongued Italian Stallion was going to get his '10' out when he said the word 'perfection'!!! Felt the '9's were more realistic though.

Not a stand out week but I didn't think it would be - dances of the night for me were Dani and Vincent and DvO and James Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:48 pm

I think the paso is one of the more challenging dances for the male celebs because apart from the cape swinging all eyes tend to be on the female dancer.

If I had my way I'd throw the cape-swinging right out of the dance. Too samey with everyone doing it and no judge of skill in portraying the actual dance. Gimmicky and not needed.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:52 pm

Yes I agree about the cape - it now seems to be obligatory in all the pasos that we see - why??????
Remember Torvill and Deans Spanish ice dance number? (many years ago) She WAS the cape!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:50 am

I think the judges have the correct two at the bottom of the leader board and hope the GBP agree.

I'm beginning to think Dani has overtaken Kimberley in the top four. I would now place Dani third. And Louis needs to be careful of that vulnerable position or he could find himself doing an Austin Healey.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Sadiesamba Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:50 am

Finally caught up with Michael's performance - and had to watch it twice as I couldn't take my eyes off Natalie and kept forgetting to watch him.

Funny that when she joined the team back in series 7 she was not very popular - how times have changed. Hope Michael stays in another week. Think its time Victoria left
Sadiesamba
Sadiesamba

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:26 am

I have only just watched the show as I was out last night. It's so great when you can fast forward the rubbish bits.
For me the show was almost a game of two halves- half of them had dances which suited them, the other half struggled. Quite polarised really.

Dani and Vincent samba- loved her dress! She looked lovely for once wardrobe had done her justice. This couple is getting better and better. I gave it an 8 which was probably a bit harsh but I noticed there were no samba rolls.
Kimberley and Pasha tango- she got all the staccato moves but I made a note about her core strength- I'm straying into stuff where I have no expertise, but I felt she was lacking something through her middle- just not sure what!? Maybe her line in hold? (Mr D help me out)
Victoria and Brendan salsa -armography was great! No real flow or latin hips but Brendan choreographed some great lifts so she can go out on a high- i gave a 6 for that, not her! Just not suited to her, she's too self conscious
Louis and Flavia Paso Doble- ooo loved Flav's dress. I think the judges were a bit harsh, although I do think Flav needs to get some acting coaching for him
Lisa and Robin Rumba- bless them I wanted them to do well but it was not really suited to Lisa- not her best but she did OK as much as she could.
Michael and Natalie ATI thought it great music I made a note to myself about Michael- tuck bum under to get hips forward - is that right? OK but not wow
Nicky and Karen Charleston-here was a dance that suited him to a T. But here again I realise that Charleston for me is about more than the dance- I thought it was good, I enjoyed it, but not as much as others (Co.la for example)
Denise and James AS- first time I’ve been moved by them, I loved it.

And now I can read all your comments.................
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:50 am

allsewnonbyhand wrote:And now I can read all your comments.................
Better cancel the milk and papers then, it's going to be a long read. Razz Seriously though, this section is becoming my favourite. So interesting reading each person's views. However...
Mr D wrote:Victoria and Brandan. Salsa....More teeth in Auntie Elsie's bedside glass.
scratch Laughing
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 2 Empty re a little bit of honesty

Post  Moova 12 Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:24 am

Agree with some of the comments about the music. It seemed to overpower the dances at times.
Louis needs a good talking to. I suspect the "fun" VT is close to the truth he doesn't listen. He must have a coach somewhere to give him a bit a kick. Perhaps she should enlist Artem in best terminator role.
I agree it was Nicky's best dance.
I just hope too that VP has reached the end of the line. I felt very uncomfortable over her reaction - it was almost I'm a celeb type. She should not be feeling that stress on a TV show. No one should be risking their health.
Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:34 am

I do fear for Victoria's health after the Euphoria of the Olympics,retiring,her forthcoming wedding & SCD now showing the strain.I really hope she doesn't come crashing down with a thud.I realised maybe retiring hasn't hit home yet however we had a little inkling when Victoria advised she had lost her leg muscle shape!!
She has always had a strict rigid routine each day & Im wondering if she misses it more than we realise??

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:04 pm

I also watched this morning and don't have much to add to what everyone else has said .

My favourites this week were Denise and James. Beautiful, just beautiful. Closely followed by Dani and Vincent who did a lovely bouncy samba with lots of content and lovely sharp footwork from Dani. I really think that she's ahead of Kimberly and Louis at the moment.

I thought that Kimberley's tango was a touch under marked - it was good and I enjoyed it. Louis's paso was ....bizarre. I don't think that the music worked and he looked totally unengaged. Flavia needs to raise her game with the choreography and he needs to learn to act or they could be in danger.

Lisa... not her dance. Some nice arm extensions and straight legs, but her feet weren't sticky enough on the floor and her poor posture (round shoulders) was very obvious. because rumba is so slow and not in hold a lot of the time it really shows up posture and Lisa's wasn't good enough.

Michael, well he was competing with the cricketer who got the best ever AT marks on Strictly (I think) but he wasn't sharp enough. I disagree with whichever judge it was (L en I think) who said that it's difficult for men to look good in AT because the attention is on the woman. If it's danced properly AT is a real male peacock dance, that often starts with the men dancing alone - watch some of Vincent and Flavia's ATs. It's only become a show off dance for the women in Strictly because the professional women have realised that if they throw themselves around they (might) attract interest away from their partner's shortcomings.

Nicky delivered on the promise he showed in training this week - great dance and he really looked as if he was enjoying it. I even warmed to Karen and that's saying something. let's hope he can maintain the improvement.

Victoria, well to be fair, if she was at a Saturday night social dance in Yorkshire (my gold standard!) and I saw her dancing like that I'd think "Eh, lass can salsa a bit". But she's almost at the quarter final final stage in Strictly and it's nowhere near good enough. I think that Victoria knows that and I get the impression that she won't be too disappointed to go now. She's had a couple of decent dances and stuck around long enough to be more than respectable.

So my tip for the dance off is Victoria, and I suspect the other will be Michael.
Tina Sparkle
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:53 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote: Kimberley and Pasha tango- she got all the staccato moves but I made a note about her core strength- I'm straying into stuff where I have no expertise, but I felt she was lacking something through her middle- just not sure what!? Maybe her line in hold?(Mr D help me out)

Opinion, not law. I'm no dance expert, just a lifetime lover of the art and we all see things differently most of the time..:

In truth, far too much use is made of terms that only professionals, after many years of disciplined, training make perfection of. The contestants on Strictly are amateurs who train between other jobs, miss their families and get involved in all the hokey-pokey that is televison, make up, dress and publicity, acting the part and being stuck in front of audiences who are likely to vote their efforts out just because they've never been in a soap opera or a boy band.

Core strength, what's that? Everything we do starts from the abdomen and goes outwards, arms, head, legs, whatever. It's as natural as breathing. Only telling them about it makes it seem like something you get in a gym. It isn't. If you didn't have a centre you'd just fall over due to gravity. You want an example of how it works? Think of one of those stick thing with a little drum on top and two strings hanging down with balls on the end. Rotate the stick in your fingers, the energy from the centre, the energy transfers outwards and puts the strings in motion and the balls rap on either side of the drum. Stop twirling and the string drop down. That's it. Cetrifugal energy.

You can't teach grown ups to do something five-year olds can manage without thinking. I'm betting Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, Ginger Rogers and Cyd Charisse never even heard of half the terms that teachers have coined over the years. "Do it like this" and a demonstration of how is far more efficient in my eyes than all the technical expressions ever used in dance classes. Some people are better at things than others and the others can probably do other things more skillfully. If somebody like Michael and Lisa give it their utmost in terms of learning they'll never reach what Louis can because he's a professional gymnast. He'll never ride a bike like Victoria and she'll never dance like Natalie, Erin or Flavia etc. Everybody has a level they can reach and the best at anything wins.

Except of course when the G.B.P get involved, then it all collapses into fantasy. Wink

Amen. lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Amen too Mr D

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:14 pm

top answer Mr D! cheers
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Cast read the script and it all went pretty much as expected. Doubt anyone was fooled into thinking Denise was ever in danger but they have to keep the viewers on their toes and thus it played out. For me Lisa should have been in the dance off, but she'd have been saved anyway because Victoria's too cool for school attempt was hardly pulse-raising. She did what she could and went as far as she could go but it was all so half-hearted. Not Michael's best week but he was better than both Lisa and Victoria for me. Pleased for him.

Nicky might well be back in the pantomime horse next week. He had his moment and a dance made to suit this week but it will be the popularity vote if he stays in any further.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 2 Empty Re: A Little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Yes it was the right result tonight. The AT was not the finest hour for Michael but Victoria had reached her limit and I am glad that Michael has survived to dance another week! Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:32 pm

I thought they both danced better in the DO - one much better than the other. Victoria & Brendan finished in time with the music tonight and she looked more relaxed. In Michael I detected more determination and strength in his movements. I think Michael has a placid personality and it comes hard to do even mild aggression. But the best couple have stayed in.

Victoria was shaking at the end, she really is quite nervous not to mention emotional - but she is so beautiful and has such a lovely character that you can't help liking her enormously as well as admiring her. I must be getting soft this is the third time my eyes have moistened after the DO. I must have a cold coming on... Wink
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:01 pm

I agree, Lucielle. I thought that victoria was more relaxed than she's been in any latin dance so far, and danced better for it. I think that she wasn't too disappointed to be going.

Right result this week, but who knows what will happen next week!
Tina Sparkle
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:08 am

Well next week it may be a shock DO again!? Depends on which dance Nicky & Michael & Lisa get.
I hope Louis doesn't get a lack of confidence re the judges comments.

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:36 pm

As anyone heard from C aledonian C raig on other threads this week? He doesn't seem to have been on the boards over this weekend. Unusual.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Of course I meant ; HAS anyone heard from C aledonian C raig.
My last post started like a pantomime line!!!!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:42 pm

No mauve- I checked the members list and his last post was just over a week ago.
I do remember someone saying they were going to miss the show, but can't remember who it was.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next