Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Dance This Week?

+13
Poppetlovestango
TANGOLERO
Sid
lualen
allsewnonbyhand
fiftynotout
diamondsandpearls
Wallflower
hatlady28
cellar-door
saxonsiren
mauveangel09
B4p
17 posters

Page 12 of 26 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 26  Next

Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 12 Empty Re: Which Dance This Week?

Post  Sid Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi mauve - The BBC site made a mistake about Frankie's dance and clarified shortly afterwards that she is indeed doing a QS and not an American Smooth. Interesting comment from Ian tonight on ITT about how Kevin sometimes over-choreographs and I think he has a point. The routines end up looking too busy and Frankie doesn't always cope. I can understand the temptation to put as much in as possible but sometimes less is more.

Pretty decent music choices for Blackpool but I wonder if it'll be game over for Sunetra with the dreaded Samba? The others all seem to have dances that will suit them and if Judy gets the votes again...
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:19 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:  Frankie and Kevin must be doing a QS based American Smooth?   Bit confused as the training clip shown on ITT tonight looked like a QS.   I think they've already done a QS haven't they?   Can't remember - but I was hoping for something a bit more classic and fluid from them?

Trust in Kevin. He's really grown on me. Frankie's good enough to pull off what he gives her and he's inventive enough to come up with something good. They're the least of my worries. I'd pinned hopes on Jake and he needs to come back strongly and win the public again. Way I'm reading it, Sunetra's loving being on the bus but I don't think she'll figure in the final furlong. Same with Caroline. Mark's a spotlight hugger and I'm still uncertain where he's at. Steve's genuine enough but his muscles will defeat him eventually. Pixie twitters happily along and is very likeable and a decent dancer. Jake could surge right back with a decent performance and join Frankie and Pixie on the run in.......and then again it might be nothing at all like that.. Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:29 pm

I have a good feeling it'll be Jake's comeback weekend Smile He certainly sounds very positive on Twitter about the upcoming American Smooth. Am willing him to do well.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 12 Empty Re: Which Dance this week?

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:29 pm

Sid wrote:Hi mauve - The BBC site made a mistake about Frankie's dance and clarified shortly afterwards that she is indeed doing a QS and not an American Smooth. Interesting comment from Ian tonight on ITT about how Kevin sometimes over-choreographs and I think he has a point. The routines end up looking too busy and Frankie doesn't always cope. I can understand the temptation to put as much in as possible but sometimes less is more.

Pretty decent music choices for Blackpool but I wonder if it'll be game over for Sunetra with the dreaded Samba? The others all seem to have dances that will suit them and if Judy gets the votes again...

Ah....... that figures with Frankie and Kevin and a 'Town Called Malice'! I agree about Sunetra, what a bummer for her to get the samba this week of all weeks - I think clever A nton will have Judy firmly in hold this week (surely he can't put a lift in the VW!) and propel her round the floor in a simple routine done to a real crowd pleaser track!!! I'm sure she has improved to a certain extent but let's face it, It is not really possible to walk the VW is it? You can see the way that one will go................. Rolling Eyes

Yes I thought that Ian's comment about Kevin was very interesting and I can see where he is coming from - I think that with Frankie's natural talent he can afford to streamline the routines a lot more.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:17 pm

Sid wrote: I wonder if it'll be game over for Sunetra with the dreaded Samba? The others all seem to have dances that will suit them and if Judy gets the votes again...

Uh oh, a samba up against all those AS and quickstep/jive/charleston? Sunetra certainly drew the short straw didn't she. Sadly I think it will be goodbye to the lovely lady this week. It will be a shame but, then again, she was never going to win it.

I predict Steve and Judy will be the next two to go and after that it will be a case of who dances best on the night.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Apropos of nothing - except that it is totally dance-related and in it's way incorporates a few of the dances danced on Strictly - I thought I would share with you all that I amused myself on my rainy afternoon off today with this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0078npz/the-story-of-vernon-and-irene-castle

Interestingly (well, to me anyway...), though dances like the Foxtrot and the Tango, which they either developed or popularised or both, appear in modern ballroom competitions, the Polka (which they also did their version of) seems to have fallen by the wayside.  I LIKE the polka.....  Might have to start a campaign to bring it back...  But I wondered why it doesn't still get included in ballroom dancing?  Anyone know/have any ideas?

Also appearing in the film is the Maxixe...  No, me neither...   Couldn't really see what it was related to, though the name sounds Central/Latin American.  But it didn't seem like any Latin dance that I recognise. So any light to shed on this anyone? Where did it come from and where did it go?

And despite Irene championing the bob hairstyle as early as 1914, and the couple dancing mainly to Jazz music, they don't seem to have had any influence on Charleston-like steps or dancing (or vice/versa). Intriguing....

Mind you, all this is based on the film - not actual events! (However, Havivng looked at photos, Fred Aistaire is a dead ringer for Vernon Castle, despite a hair colour difference.  Same elegant build and style).

EDIT:
All you need to know about the Maxixe here: http://socialdance.stanford.edu/syllabi/maxixe.htm Sort of Brazilian Polka - so no wonder we've lost it...

What IS it about Polka-based dances which seems to exile them from our ballrooms? What did they do? I definitely feel a campaign coming on to bring back the poor, seemingly maligned Polka...

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info...)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Seen all the Astaire films including that one a few times. .Never tire of them. Don't know why the polka disappeared, but then again, what happened to the mambo? I guess modernity phases some dances out in the way that rock and roll affected ballroom. Some come, some go.Jitterbug, Swing and Lindy Hop all basically fell to the rock and roll era and the big band ballroom craze pretty much did the same.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:44 pm

Hmm, interesting Tango. But the Jitterbug, Swing, Lindyhop etc influenced and fed into the Jive, which still exists. But the Polka (or a version of) is a two step dance, a version of which is done pretty much all over the world - so why no Polka-rooted dance still in competitive ballroom? It's exhuberant and FUN!

Did I mention - I LIKE the polka...

Bring back the Polka now! bounce bounce bounce
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:39 pm

Don't forget to:
Hop a little on your little left shoe,
Hop a little on your right one too
Hop a little like a kangaroo
That's the hop-scotch-polka........yeah...... lol!

Had a word with Darcy about the polka but it was a bit after his dancing time. He discouraged his children from doing it though as the boots gentlemen insisted on wearing were playing havoc with his parquet floors at Pemberley. ( The Duke of Wellington actually got refused entrance to an assembly ( read dance) at Bath for turning up in riding boots. It's the truth) Darcy was quite relieved that the waltz was so popular, much more refined one knows, and young Strauss was just coming into his pomp around then. Now the Blue Danube, there was music for you, dammit. Even the Reverend Collins could give that a twirl... drunken

Last edited by TANGOLERO on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:34 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Don't forget to:
Hop a little on your little left shoe,
Hop a little on your right one too
Hop a little like a kangaroo
That's the hop-scotch-polka........yeah...... lol!

Love it! I love you
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:43 pm

Slight edit above. Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:44 pm

Veleta... St Bernards........Military Two Step............Saunter.......... all gone - and some even featured on 'Come Dancing' - remember the ballroom section (can't remember what it was called) where they did the 'old time dances and wore the real puff ball dresses - it was a separate section to the modern ballroom bit The only dance that would be classed 'old time' that we see now is the Viennese Waltz.

I think the polka is a great dance - you do still see versions of it in Europe but I think it sort of went the country/folk way and became a bit of country dance - I remember doing the Bluebell Polka when I was very young and was part of a May Queen group - we learned a lot of country dances...........don't ask Laughing Happy days - I loved it - and the maypole dancing too................ Wink

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:02 pm

I (togther with my brother) used to get hiked along to a lot of church social events on Saturday evenings (Irish nights too, as my dad was from the Emerald Isle) They did all sorts of (what we considered at the time, wierd stuff) dances like The Lancers, Gay Gordons, Valetas and St Bernad's Waltz etc, etc. At about fourteen it suddenly dawned that being able to dance meant getting to know girls. Polka, Waltz, Quickstep, Foxtrot, bring em on. bounce

I spent many nights at Polish and Ukraine clubs having big fun and scoffing boiled cabbage, home-baked bread and chopped sausage (the cheapest and simplest form of Goulash).Eventually though, the traditional balalaika groups gave way to records and pop and the ballroom stuff to the Twiggy Shuffle. cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:25 pm

I remember doing the 'Gay Gordons' at infants School!! That's a blast from the past!!! I also vaguely remember around the same time a novelty dance called the 'March of the Mods'. I also remember going on holiday in the 70s with my Mum and Dad and getting involved in doing a sort of line dance called 'The slosh' - it was done to 'Raindrops keep falling on my head' - lol! those were the days...........

Seriously - Mr T - do you remember the Military Two Step on 'Come Dancing' ? There was also the Saunter - these are vague memories.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:38 pm

mauveangel09 wrote: I
Seriously - Mr T - do you remember the Military Two Step on 'Come Dancing' ?  There was also the Saunter - these are vague memories.

All I really remember is my mother dancing it and it being "polkafied" because it was a two-step. My memory also isn't what it was and I remember things in sections, sometimes day later. Embarassed
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:19 am

Aaah - that might be the reason: "modern" ballroom as opposed to "old time" ballroom..

Does a Dashing White Sergeant count for anything? I did a mean one in primary school and later for my badge in Guides (or it could have been Brownies..)

I expect that's why I love the polka - it's a simple two step with lot's of joie de vivre. Hoppy, skippy, dancing round the maypole indeed :-)

Next year: Strictly Country Dancing (And His Dog) - a series where celebs learn to perform traditional country dances whilst herding members of the public into the auditorium. Hosted by Matt Baker and Julia Bradbury.

(And if any variation of that genius idea comes to our TV screens without crediting me, I am suing....!)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 12 Empty Re: What Dance this week?

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:33 am

Love your idea D & P !!!! lol!

Like you I love finding out about old/obscure dances - Maxixe sounds interesting. Perhaps some of these dances will be covered in L en's new dance history programme?

Thanks Mr T - I'd love to find an old clip of the 'Military Two Step'

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:11 am

mauveangel09 wrote:

Thanks Mr T - I'd love to find an old clip of the 'Military Two Step'  

Here you go, mauve. . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOzW-ztDBMo
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Just had a quick stroll over to I.T.T to grab a look at what was to be seen. Pixie and Frankie look fine, Judy better than I expected. Sunetra too looked pretty decent as did Mark. That leaves Simon, Caroline, Jake and Steve (who appeared to be just sightseeing as O la was nowhere around? Caroline looked lively enough in the jive but with a lack of bounce. Jake seems apprehensive and a little tense in his dance. Amazingly, Simon seemed very flat-footed in his A.T practise. Maybe he was just going through the motions, maybe it's just me, but I swear a couple of times he looked like he was dancing in flip-flops. Personally, I'm not that much wiser in deciding who will get the short straw. It really could be any one of four/five.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  1superken Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:10 am

Im really scared , i don't normally bother with ITT but i caught a glimpse Friday evening & if you have 2 tickets for War of the Worlds final tour on 30th Nov in Manchester Very Happy ( got confirmation tickets sent today ) how much am i gonna love P Ixie & T rent Cool
1superken
1superken

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:37 am

TANGOLERO wrote:Just had a quick stroll over to I.T.T to grab a look at what was to be seen. Pixie and Frankie look fine, Judy better than I expected. Sunetra too looked pretty decent as did Mark.   That leaves Simon, Caroline, Jake and Steve (who appeared to be just sightseeing as O la was nowhere around? Caroline looked lively enough in the jive but with a lack of bounce. Jake seems apprehensive and a little tense in his dance. Amazingly, Simon seemed very flat-footed in his A.T practise. Maybe he was just going through the motions, maybe it's just me, but I swear a couple of times he looked like he was dancing in flip-flops. Personally, I'm not that much wiser in deciding who will get the short straw. It really could be any one of four/five.

First of all - thank you for 'satisfying my whim' re the 'Military Two Step' Mr T !!!!!!!

I was a bit unimpressed with what I saw on ITT last night to be honest - although it is sometimes difficult to tell from what we see in the training clips I admit - but to be honest I have to be blunt and say that only Pixie and Caroline caught my attention as having the potential to impress - I also think Frankie will reliably deliver (despite the somewhat 'downer' that the Friday panel had in relation to her). I agree that Judy was so much better than expected - actually dancing!!! How did she manage to impress me - how did that happen??? I also though that Sunetra was making a damn good stab at it!!!! (go girl!) Just hope that nerves and the hard nature of the dance won't get to her tonight!

Simon, Jake and Steve - hmm not sure - bit out of their comfort zones tonight I think? Crying or Very sad Didn't really see enough of Mark to form an opinion.

Ken - I know you'll be rooting for your boy tonight! Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Week 9 Tunes, Dances & Youtube Clips

Sunetra and Bredan - Waltz to Paolo Nutini’s ‘Last Request’.
https://youtu.be/ffJ8xcfqOX0

Frankie and Kevin - Viennese Waltz to Tom Jones’ ‘What’s new Pussycat?’.
https://youtu.be/dtQo6B7S_-g

Caroline and Pasha -  American Smooth to Robbie Williams’ version of ‘Mack the Knife’.
https://youtu.be/XpkCazstUhM

Pixie and Trent -  Charleston to ‘Sparkling Diamonds’ as sung by Nicole Kidman in the film 'Moulin Rouge'.
https://youtu.be/nYzMTkc2nEE

Jake and Janette - Samba to the ‘Macarena’ by Los Del Rio.
https://youtu.be/XiBYM6g8Tck

Mark and Karen - Tango to OneRepublic's ‘Love Runs Out’.
https://youtu.be/0OWj0CiM8WU

Simon and Kristina - Salsa to ‘Let’s Hear It For The Boy’ by Deniece Williams.
https://youtu.be/s7FGbhpr2pg

Steve and O la - Jive to Frankie Lymon and The Teenagers version of 'Little Bitty Pretty One'.
https://youtu.be/q45TyPk8yiI
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:01 pm

They are probably going to change Paulo's Last Request 4/4 beat song into a 3/4 beat for the Waltz. The did really well by changing Abba's 4/4 I had a Dream into a VW compound duple beat (6/8 ).

I think most of the music this week is good except Steve's jive number, which seems a little slow(ish).
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:37 pm

I'd say Pixie's got the best song (again!).

Caroline and Mark have good ones.

Jake's will make for an entertaining Samba.

Sunetra's Waltz music is a bit meh. I'm disappointed as Brendan's wife Zoe tweeted earlier in the week what a stunning song they had but that her lips were sealed. So I'd got my hopes up for something a bit more special.

I like the Deniece Williams track to listen to but not to Salsa to (I think S.cott and Natalie used it and I remember being unimpressed!).

Not sure about Frankie's VW music either. She's not been that lucky with her music to be honest!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Oh no! I've just spent the last half hour wandering around Youtube in Footloose land! (after clicking on the link in B4p's post...) You know, one thing just led to another Wink Embarassed

Ahem... back to reality now...

Although I was transported into Footloose land with the link and the song has a very happy association for me, I think it is a tad slow (unless they do all the complicated thingummies that more musically techno minded have mentioned above) and has just a pop beat rather than a Latin beat.

Paulo Nuttini - I always feel I OUGHT to like him and his songs but.... Sorry I don't. Not doing to for me, particularly for the Waltz (prob cos the original is in the wrong timing. And I don't like tunes messed with. Just choose one with the right tempo - there are MILLIONS of Waltz tempo songs. No, make that Zillions.....)

Had never heard the OneRepublic song but I think it will work very well for a Tango.

Macarena - oh NOoooooo! It doesn't say Samba bounce to me. Just a silly little dance you do when on holiday after too much Sangria... Again, the tempo isn't sitting right with me - not quite the right speed?

Mack the Knife is just about ok for an AS (not really smooth is it?) - but really? Robbie William's version? It's hardly even current - they might as well have had a Rat Pack version. Or anybody really. Just not Robbie - aaaarrrggh!

The diamonds song (my theme tune, obvs Wink ) - great song, great version, but not saying Charleston to me. Again, there are oodles and oodles and oodles of more contemporary Jazz-age sounding songs (Mark's Americano song being a very fine case in point, or, dare I say it - given my earlier comment - that Paulo Nuttini one that the Sinister One did with the Fragile Ballet Princess girl a few series ago). No reason to choose a song which much more Swing....

Pussycat, Pussycat - Oh yes! Such fun and in the right tempo. I will have nothing said against this, as the only tunes my Dad would ever dance to were Tom Jones' - and What's New Pussycat and Delilah were the favourite (Green Green Grass of home was saved for entertaining us whilst he cleaned his teeth...) And he would often come home and greet me and my sister with the words "What's new pussycats?". So for me, this is easily the best song :-)(Sorry Sid - I normally feel you have typed very eloquently just what I am thnking or have attempted to say less eloquently. But not this time!)

Steve's song - very right era and can envisage a jive, but I think a faster one would have suited Steve more and exposed him less. You need to be more controlled if you going to jive at this speed.

To sum up - Tango and VW tunes fairly ok. The rest - pants.

Carry on everyone....
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 26 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 26  Next