Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Little Bit of Honesty.

+12
cellar-door
Poppetlovestango
CaledonianCraig
mauveangel09
Twirlie
saxonsiren
TANGOLERO
Sid
Tina Sparkle
B4p
Moova 12
diamondsandpearls
16 posters

Page 20 of 42 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31 ... 42  Next

Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 20 Empty Re: A Little Bit of Honesty.

Post  jingle Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:43 pm

Really enjoyed movie week, and apart from Will I felt the themes and props didn’t sideline the music  or choreography. Good costumes, nice selection of movie themes…am slightly apprehensive that a lot of the more challenging or striking dances are being done so early in the competition. By week 10 will we be left watching a lot of waltzes and cha-chas?  Anyhow, a few thoughts…

Daisy - Quickstep as Mary Poppins. Well danced, choreography a bit underwhelming which is a surprise from Aljaz.  Darcey's comment was well made, Daisy doesn’t seem to be hindered by her height (memories of previous tall contestants who did look unsteady)

Anastacia – VW to Twilight.  Nice, though it seemed a really really short routine. As B.runo says, she seems to have balance issues.

Danny – Paso as Zorro.  Danny's not my favourite, for me he’s too good too soon, and unlike Jay last year he oozes self-confidence.  On the other hand, this paso did wow me. I thought it was almost balletic in places, nimble, perfect synchro and shapes throughout, although not an awful lot in hold. Dance of the night for me

Lesley – QS to Easter parade.  She has to stretch to reach A.nton in hold, which I think is part of the poor posture issue. Very well acted, though I doubt she’ll get much further in the competition

Will – Bollywood salsa. Well, I really liked this routine, and felt mildly aggrieved on Will’s behalf about Grumpy L.en.  If they hire a Bollywood expert to dance to Bollywood music what do they expect ....not Will’s fault.

Naga – Tango to Mission Impossible.  Not her style I don’t think, she doesn’t have attack and looked like she was being steered around by Pasha.

Judge Rinder – Flintstones Charleston.  Well, it seems to have mixed reviews but I liked this, loads of variety in the routine and it suited his expression. Felt the judges were a bit too critical about his timing.

Ore – AS to Singing in the rain.  Nice to see the eternal lamp-post prop, I think it’s appeared in every series.  Really nice routine, although I feel Ore is strongest when he’s dancing solo, his posture goes a bit awry in hold.

Laura – Moulin rouge salsa.  High energy, in time and loads of content, although I didn’t think the lifts added much.

Greg- AS as Robin Hood. Graceful and some nice lifts, he’s doing well and I think/hope he has potential to go much further.

C.laudia – Bugsy Malone Charleston.  Really enjoyed this, loads of content, good lifts, timing, footwork, all very impressive

Tameka – tango to Beverly hills cop.  Her posture isn’t that great, but I thought she compensated with drama and attack. Struck me that it’d be interesting if she was in the DO against Naga…both of them doing a tango, both all dressed in black, I think a side-by-side comparison would highlight Tameka’s strength of performance, and Naga’s better frame in hold.

Ed – Samba to The mask. My heart sunk a bit to see the yellow costume, reminiscent of the Widdicombe big bird. But have to admit, he totally sold it to me, and I also really liked his interview with C.laud.  He’s not a bad dancer at all, great timing and top marks for enthusiasm. He got my votes again.

Louise – Flashdance cha cha.  Sorry, going against general opinion here but I really didn’t like this one bit. I didn’t think she captured the energy of Flashdance, and found the whole routine quite mechanistic. Thought she was overmarked.

Overall a really good entertaining night, and although I think Danny has emerged as the strongest dancer there's at least another handful who could challenge him. No idea who'll be in the dance off, but I suspect Naga, Anastacia, or Lesley.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Movie night - Very enjoyable. A big congratulations to the wardrobe department. I thought the costumes were fantastic.

Daisy - A competant QS. I don’t know why, but (unlike Mary Poppins) it didn’t blow me away.

Anastasia - an elegant, cautious VW. Bren dan’s routines playing cleverly to both her strengths and current weaknesses.

Danny - Loved it. The precision of the shaping, smooth transitions, and timing, spot on.

Lesley - Great routine. Bit wobbly in places, but bags of stamina. An ton doing what he does best.

Will - Nice Bollywood routine, but not a Salsa tune. Beautiful costumes.

Naga - Steps up a notch. Best Tango music of the night. Consistent Tango face, but still seems too petrified to get into the dance. Not sure about Pasha’s routines.

The Judge - Not fast or funky enough for a Charleston for me. Outfits great. Like the Flintstone car floor, the dance could have done with a bit more substance.

Ore - Top job. Very nicely done. For once he didn’t get on my nerves, unlike Joanne’s headband. Either wear a sou'wester hat or not, but that scrap of waterproof yellow plastic - no.

Greg - Improving every week. Loved the dance, the lifts and the outfits.That leather jacket was worth it’s own high score.

Laura - What was it? Whatever it was, I didn't like it. Too many lifts that looked totally out of place and clumsy. Less is more. I also don’t like how Gio seems to think that faster is better. Slow it down and give the girl a chance.

Claudia - Great fun. Good Charleston routine

Tameka - Not sure. She’s committed to the dance as always. Liked Gorka’s story idea, but it seemed half faffing, and half Tango to me. Enjoying Gorka’s understated presence, but maybe that particular music track was too 80’s pop for me, and didn’t suit my Tango head.

Ed - I thought I saw some Samba. Found Katya’s fringed dress distracting, but guess that was the plan. The more the dress moved, the less Ed seemed to. Great overall fun, and you can see he’s enjoying his time.

Louise - Nice to see a restrained Kevin routine that showcased Louise. Liked the mix of Cha-Cha steps and movie homage.

A range of marks from the Cr aig. Can’t remember who Br uno gave a 9 to when the others gave 7’s but it seemed a bit bizarre.
Steady cam man was driving me insane.
I’m usually the band & singers biggest fan, but both female singers, and one of the males had problems with the high notes on Saturday which wrecked a few of the songs for me.

Looking forward to the Pro routine on the results show
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:46 pm

I'm the latest of the late, this week. My wife is in hospital auditioning for a Long John Silver role ( she's had a knee replacement op and the W.D40 is proving a wee bit slow in lubricating the joint. I noticed the Zimmer frame thingy is the same height as our lawn mower, so that fact should come in handy for her excercise stuff, Physiogardening etc... (Relax ladies, I'll have the washing machine on tonight...Very Happy ..)

so..just a few comments as I only saw part of the live show and had to watch the rest on BBCPlayer. Not much to add except generally, just a few truths universally acknowleged and that everybody here most likely agrees/disagrees with as the case my be.:

Fairness, as we all know, doesn't come into the equation in judging otherwise they wouldn't put a 71 year old Leslie Josephs against a 20 year old gold medal gymnast or a stout parlimentarian against an olympic long jumper. and expect parity.....enter the Twitteratie vote.
C raig is going way over the top already in his desire to be uniquely different. Last week he marked three below L en, this week, two above everybody else. Did I mention parity?
Sorry, but Flamenco isn't Spanish dance (two entirely different arts and a musical structure that only flamencos truly understand). Danny is a great dancer but that arm swinging stuff would look better with indian clubs on the end of it. (remember similar being laughed at by Antonio Vargas in the film Strictly Ballroom?)...one part of the routine I didn't like. Keep the bull in mind.....

It's very hard to pick anyone decidedly bad enough to leave, but the Leslie and A nton partnership will exist on sentiment rather than much else very soon. Law of the jungle (and the Gym) . Naga, as mentioned on here lacks fire/confidence/self-belief or whatever. If she is going to find it she had perhaps better do it soon. Anastacia....not yet safe I reckon and neither is big Greg, if only for elimination ratings.....

Acrobatics need to be part of the dance and not a "ready steady go" fiasco as in that ridiculous "lift" in Dirty Dancing, the movie.So far, this has been the case, but watch it Claudia....

That'll do from me as the assesments are pretty good all round and mine is but one view in many. ...Am I predicting an "out" candidate for tonight? Not on you life...C raig already has his final team in the book. Cool
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 20 Empty Re: A little Bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:58 pm

[quote="Sid"]I think that might be the best night of Strictly EVER!

Anastacia & Brendan - Was very moved by this. Yes it was hesitant in places but somehow that only endeared me to Anastacia more. And how beautiful was her hair? Bit mean to shove her in the death slot after last week!

Oti & Danny - Oti might be the most mesmeric being on the planet. Which is just as well cos for whatever reason I haven't really taken to Danny - as brilliant as he is! (d&p - we're out of step this year!)

Will & Karen - L.en's right. BUT where's the consistency? He was happy to give Abbey's disco thing a 10 (no I won't let it go!). My solution is to scrap the Salsa altogether. It never resembles the real thing, instead morphing into a Sachamba mish mash (or in this case an enjoyable Bollywood dance with the odd bit of Salsa thrown in). I feel like these two haven't completely nailed it yet but their time will come.

Naga & Pasha - Trying to Tango to THIS is mission impossible. Just not the right signature - which I imagine only makes it harder for a non-dancer / non-performer like Naga who needs music with a clear Tango feel to help her. Moreover, I get weird vibes from these two. I don't know if it's because Naga seems quite cool but there's just something slightly off.

Laura & Giovanni . He's a sleazel!

Claudia & AJ - (lol @ he looks like he belongs in Neighbours!).

Ed & Katya - AMAZEBALLS!!! Oh god, I've lost count of how many times I've rewatched this. And he's not horrendous by any means - he has a sense of rhythym, is fairly light on his feet and has no inhibitions whatsoever. Katya reminding me of Kristina (with John)  & Iveta (with Mark) by producing inspired choreography that's still got plenty of required elements. I hope they're with us a little [/quote

Anastacia and B rendan - Yes totally agree. Voted for them

Oti and Danny - Yes totally agree. Usually I appreciate excellent dancing but just can't get into them. Maybe he will get more interesting later when others start to challenge him? Mr Mauve can't take his eyes off Oti either.

Will and Karen - Agree about the L en inconsistencies and what could they do with this having been given it - like you I think there is potential here.

Naga and P asha - I actually think that Mission Impossible is a good track for the Tango but she clearly felt uncomfortable and I think that P ash needs to rethink his choreography if they survive this week.

Laura and Giovanni - Sleazel - LOL Laughing Laughing Laughing
Aj and 'Neighbours' LOL Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ed and Katya - spot on - hope they are with us for a bit longer and I am liking her as a teacher
Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 20 Empty Re: A little Bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi Mr T
I wondered where you were, last night and today.

I do hope your wife is ok.

Smile

Yes - Flamenco is its own dance form and we do sometimes see it in the SCD pasos but I couldn't really see it in Danny's routine last night - good as the routine was.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:43 pm

Evening All!

Last night was very entertaining.
Have to stick up for Danny. Ringer he might be but I love to watch him!
Ed well never thought I would say this about Mr Balls but I was waiting for him to perform and he does.

Didn't overly like the Judge this week thought it was messy. I also felt Louise was a overmarked.

For me Naga looks like she hates it, Laure I can't take too and Claudia and AJ leave me cold, but I don't know why.

However we have a real mix and some good dancers this year.
Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 20 Empty Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Well I didn't see that one coming.................... Sad As most of us have said on here today - it looked like someone would suffer unjustly tonight purely because of the high standard and performances getting 'lost' in the mix - and in a way I wasn't surprised about Laura and Gio but I was surprised to see Tameka in the DO - purely on the basis that the EastEnders people usually score very well on the first few weeks due to the fan base. It was a shame as in any other year she would have easily survived week 3 - whilst not tip top it was a perfectly respectable Tango for this point in the contest. Both couples looked dazed I thought.

I think what we have seen tonight is the 'shock exit' that usually happens around Hallowe'en coming a few weeks early. I noticed that Anastacia and B rendan stood with an air of resignation whilst the results came in - but I am pleased they survived.

On another note - I absolutely loved the 'West Side Story' n umber and I thought that A nton and Joanne's dance was pure magic - however, I must say I had a little pang for the days of A nton and E rin !!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:16 pm

I'd expected a shock in do re middle of the table forgettanitus! Laura/Tameka and Naga possibly suffered this.
Ed I'm glad survived less thrilled Lesley,Naga and Anastacia in......
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:49 pm

Heartbreaking to see Tameka and Laura in the bottom two. Admittedly I didn't vote for them. Embarassed
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:15 pm

Gorka, gone! *bursts into tears*

All I can say is he'd better be on ITT non-stop for the rest of the series.

I think Tameka had a less impactful, less memorable theme than the others (and a very dull outfit) so it got forgotten about. Interesting that viewers seemed as underwhelmed about Laura's Salsa (and tho I'm not into her and Gio, I did feel sorry for them cos they looked rather stunned and miserable and the studio audience were quite clearly getting behind Tameka & Gorka more).

Tbh tho the standard is that high this year that I expect all the good dancers to basically take it in turns falling into the B2.

CaledonianCraig wrote:Danny's Paso - No hiding that it was a superb dance and worth a 9 but in watching him you have the thoughts in your head 'You've done this before' which takes the gloss off it.

That's a good way of putting it CC.

cellar-door wrote:Ore doing lewd things with the brolly? You mean when he seems to wack (or wank?) the brolly on the floor before he opens it? That's the classic Gene Kelly's SITR moves! lol!

I think this year's Strictly celeb cohort is a really magical mix, maybe too many ringers (two or three), but many naturally good diamonds in the rough and even the less-abled celebs have a good sense of musicality and rhythm!

Oh dear - I feel like I've defiled something sacred Laughing

Magical mix is exactly right CD. By the time I'd decided who I'd give my votes to, the lines had almost closed!

Twirlie wrote:

cheers I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you Shocked Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed cheers I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you lol!

mauveangel09 wrote: Mr Mauve can't take his eyes off Oti either.

She's just so effortlessly slinky and sexy and eye-catching. Never known a pro to capture and hold my attention the way Oti does.

Mr T - wishing Mrs T makes a speedy recovery Smile
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:19 pm

Forgot to say to Mr Tango! May your wife get well soon!
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Best wishes to Mrs T flower flower
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:04 pm

Speedy recovery to Mrs T, and condolences to sid on the loss of Gorka.

I like that despite his talent, Gorka appears understated and almost humble. Might be the language barrier keeping him quiet, but I prefer him to Gio and last years Gleb. Shame Trent had to go. Kristina & Gleb have a tour coming up in December.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:11 pm

Many thanks all for your good wishes. She should be looking at coming out in the next couple of days once the swelling goes down.

p.s. forgot to add in my comments that although I'm not a violent chap (honest) I wanted to slap that silly hairstyle right off juniors bonce. Last time I saw that was on my mother in her wedding photographs from 1935 or so. Grrrr.... Evil or Very Mad
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:12 am

May I belatedly add my best wishes for Mrs T's speedy recovery, good to heat that she should be home soon.

I'm not surprised that one of the middlies was in the DO but I was sure Naga would have been the other. I've just looked back through my review notes and the DO couples  were the ones I wrote least about at the time, nothing 'grabbed' me and perhaps others felt the same. I like Tameka's personality but Laura has not impressed me with her dancing or personality so far. I hope Naga takes this reprieve as the opportunity to let herself go and enjoy the experience which so far doesn't come across.

I gave my votes to the middlies that I wanted to stay ( such as Will and Greg) because I thought it would be danger zone. I don't know what you all think , but at this stage I tend not to vote for the ones I liked the best (such as Claudia, Ore) rather I tend to second guess the GBP  and  vote for the ones I want to stay. I didn't think the top 3 were in danger and equally I thought Ed had won the audience over ( he did with me, I was prepared to hate it, but loved it!) enough to stay in. In time my top three for the final will emerge and I will vote for them every week unless they do a rubbish dance, but for now it's about keeping in the potentials (who might yet make my top three) ....how do others view it?
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:09 pm

Bit surprised Laura got through based on dancing. With all due respect, she seems a bit like a dancing Barbie doll, sort of putting herself into shapes rather than letting nature do it . I fully expected Naga and even Anastacia to be in the danger zone. Not sure even A nton managed to convince himself they would go through.....
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:18 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Bit surprised Laura got through based on dancing. With all due respect, she seems a bit like a dancing Barbie doll, sort of putting herself into shapes rather than letting nature do it . I fully expected Naga and even Anastacia to be in the danger zone. Not sure even A nton managed to convince himself they would go through.....

Yes, I had predicted Naga and Anastacia in the DO.

Then again, if the judges will insist on giving people the same scores, this slews the result. For example, Ed received six points from the judges where he should have only had one. Makes things interesting, especially where the standard of dance (apart from a couple of exceptions) is so close. Nobody is safe and I think they are slowly beginning to realise this fact.

Tameka was a tru pro though and left with good grace (apart from showing off her injury, was that really necessary?).
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:59 pm

First up the wrong two dancers were in the dance-off. Secondly, Tameka messed up her dance-off and so the judges made the right decision. I am in shock Tameka has gone when we all know there are at least three couples weaker than her but we have all seen these shock outcomes before and will again.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 20 Empty new here - puzzling over a few tings ..

Post  suzeworld Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi

First off what dj'all mean when you say "ringer"?

And how real / strict / reliable is the no-spoiler rule? I am just watching the results show for this weekend, and reading this thread here I find I now know who is in the dance-off. Confused.

Thanks

newbie-Suze
suzeworld
suzeworld

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:35 pm

suzeworld wrote:Hi

And how real / strict / reliable  is the no-spoiler rule?  I am just watching the results show for this weekend, and reading this thread here I find I now know who is in the dance-off.    Confused.

Thanks

newbie-Suze

My interpretation of a 'ringer' is a celeb who has had dance experience/training in the past so they come in with an advantage over other totally green celeb dancers.

As for the spoiler rule you can add in a part to your post that blanks out the post details if it reveals details of the show or dance-off. Some use it (I do from time to time) but a lot don't so my tip would be if you don't want to know how the show went before watching it for the first time (likewise with the results) avoid the forum until you have watched the show. I hope that helps and welcome again. Wink
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 20 Empty thanks

Post  suzeworld Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:39 pm

OK, thanks

I dont really mind spoilers, hard to discuss shows without talking about what most people have actually seen - but the rules I read on signing in seemed pretty tight on it ..

Got to say this year seems amazing for saying it is only third week ... really enjoying it
Cheers

suzeworld
suzeworld

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:58 pm

I think the spoiler alert relates to revealing the result (from Digital Spy) before the result show is shown. Once the result show has been broadcast, it is no longer considered a spoiler.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:22 pm

Welcome Suze Smile

B4p wrote:condolences to sid on the loss of Gorka.

I like that despite his talent, Gorka appears understated and almost humble. Might be the language barrier keeping him quiet, but I prefer him to Gio and last years Gleb

Yes I've found him very endearing, B4. Reminds me a little of Pasha when he first arrived - sweet and ego-free.

allsewnonbyhand wrote:I gave my votes to the middlies that I wanted to stay ( such as Will and Greg) because I thought it would be danger zone. I don't know what you all think , but at this stage I tend not to vote for the ones I liked the best ...how do others view it?

In the early weeks I tend to vote for the ones with the nicest arse who entertained me (but are near the bottom - e.g. Ed) or like you alls, for someone who's stuck mid-table but whose efforts I want to see recognised because they're doing well for them. Sometimes I might throw a protest or sympathy vote someone's way (e.g. I wanted to show Anastacia a bit of solidarity this week).

fiftynotout wrote:
Tameka was a tru pro though and left with good grace (apart from showing off her injury, was that really necessary?).

Yes wasn't sure what to make of that fifty! If it was a passive-aggressive way of knocking Anastacia, then that's poor form. I'm sure it wasn't easy for Tameka to dance with the discomfort of a sore knee, but the nature and impact of injuries differ.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:59 pm

I think I tend to vote for a combination of the three types mentioned. I voted for Ed because I think he has a lot of gumption and is hugely entertaining, and not in a Ann Widdicombe way.

I would vote for Danny and Oti (OK, mainly because Oti!!!) Danny may be what people call a ringer, but so is Louise I think. So was Jay last year come to that. It's all very well sympathising with those who come to it fresh, but I don't think it's any reason to dismiss someone who has a natural ability. Even if one did train at stage school or an drama academy, it doesn't make one a great dancer. Judge Rinder trained at acting school but you couldn't say he was wonderful!  

I'd also vote for someone like Will or Ore - someone in the middle. Certainly I think Ore deserved to stay in after his "Singing in the Rain".

Obviously, as time goes on, I'll abandon Ed and concentrate on the dancers I enjoy most and think are making a good job of it. Who that proves to be -who knows.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:20 pm

suzeworld wrote:Hi

And how real / strict / reliable  is the no-spoiler rule?  I am just watching the results show for this weekend, and reading this thread here I find I now know who is in the dance-off.    Confused.

Thanks

newbie-Suze

Welcome, Suze!

Ringer is simply someone with quite a bit of previous dance training, this means the he/she has advantage against other celebs on SCD with no prior experience in dancing or dance training...
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 42 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31 ... 42  Next