Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Little Bit of Honesty.

+12
cellar-door
Poppetlovestango
CaledonianCraig
mauveangel09
Twirlie
saxonsiren
TANGOLERO
Sid
Tina Sparkle
B4p
Moova 12
diamondsandpearls
16 posters

Page 21 of 42 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31 ... 42  Next

Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 21 Empty Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:31 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:

I gave my votes to the middlies that I wanted to stay ( such as Will and Greg) because I thought it would be danger zone. I don't know what you all think , but at this stage I tend not to vote for the ones I liked the best (such as Claudia, Ore) rather I tend to second guess the GBP  and  vote for the ones I want to stay. I didn't think the top 3 were in danger and equally I thought Ed had won the audience over ( he did with me, I was prepared to hate it, but loved it!) enough to stay in. In time my top three for the final will emerge and I will vote for them every week unless they do a rubbish dance, but for now it's about keeping in the potentials (who might yet make my top three) ....how do others view it?

For the last few years I haven't voted at all at this stage because I haven't found anyone who has grabbed me until much later in the competition - also I don't generally vote for the comics ( W iddy etc) but this year I find myself feeling exactly as you do Allse - I think that there are so many contestants with potential that I don't want to see the 'J' people exit too early so I have voted - and voted for those I want to stay at this stage - one of these is Ed on the basis that C raig incensed me so much on the first week I was determined to throw Ed a vote or two as Ed was in perfect time and he danced properly this week too. However, I must admit that I'm a bit guilty of getting enthusiastic about people at this stage and then feeling miffed once I perceive that they are staying in the contest over 'better' dancers No Anyone else recognise this?Wink

Later on in the contest I will switch allegiances once I've 'found' my couple or couples!! Very Happy

Welcome to Suze - Very Happy as others have said - the spoilers rule applies to the time before the live shows go out - particularly during the day on Sunday when we wait for the results show.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 21 Empty Re: A Little Bit of Honesty.

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:52 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

For the last few years I haven't voted at all at this stage because I haven't found anyone who has grabbed me until much later in the competition - also I don't generally vote for the comics   ( W iddy etc) but this year I find myself feeling exactly as you do Allse - I think that there are so many contestants with potential that I don't want to see the 'J' people exit too early so I have voted - and voted for those I want to stay at this stage -  one of these is Ed on the basis that C raig incensed me so much on the first week I was determined to throw Ed a vote or two as Ed was in perfect time and he danced properly this week too. However, I must admit that I'm a bit guilty of getting enthusiastic about people at this stage and then feeling miffed once I perceive that they are staying in the contest over 'better' dancers  No   Anyone else recognise this?Wink

Later on in the contest I will switch allegiances once I've 'found' my couple or couples!!   Very Happy

Welcome to Suze - Very Happy  as others have said  - the spoilers rule applies to the time before the live shows go out - particularly during the day on Sunday when we wait for the results show.

Ed has pleasantly surprised me in a lot of ways. He was a celeb I assumed (being an MP) would be cold and characterless but he comes across much better now in the show. He is also clearly loving it all which I love to see and even though he is not the best build (has excess pounds) for a dancer and technique lacks in places he gives it his all and entertains. His Charleston last week was very good and in time but I think C raig always tends to single out the weaker dancers and wants them out ASAP and so magnifies their flaws to get his point across.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:10 pm

Sid wrote:

In the early weeks I tend to vote for the ones with the nicest arse who entertained me (but are near the bottom - e.g. Ed) or like you alls, for someone who's stuck mid-table but whose efforts I want to see recognised because they're doing well for them. Sometimes I might throw a protest or sympathy vote someone's way (e.g. I wanted to show Anastacia a bit of solidarity this week).
lol!
I think that's a good a reason as any Sid Embarassed
Welcome Suze Smile  as you have no doubt gathered, we only adhere to no spoilers until the programme has aired- after that it's fair game and if you haven't watched don't read!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:52 pm

Twirlie wrote:I think I tend to vote for a combination of the three types mentioned. I voted for Ed because I think he has a lot of gumption and is hugely entertaining, and not in a Ann Widdicombe way.

I think classing Ed B in the same guineaa pig roles as John Sargent, Ann Widdecombe and Russell Grant is wrong. All three were just cannon fodder (R.G literally) Wink for the judges, whereas Ed has actually danced twice and quite well. He may, like Lesley J, not last too long (opinionism) and somewhere it will become a pin-sticking choice as to who goes, based not always on dance alone. If Naga can shake off her inhibitions she may well go far, but Danny apart I'm seeing no real stars yet except possibly Claudia, Ore and Will, and . Latin will sort wheat from chaff with one or two and decent legs won't save the weak dancers in the long run. Just a view as ever..
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:22 pm

Not sure that I have anything to add to everyone's very good summation's of the weekend's action, but as that has never stopped me burbling needlessy on before I can't see any reason to change that now..

SOOOOO.......

Marvellous movie week (rather unusually - don't usually enjoy any of the theme weeks). I only hated the twilight thingy.  Standout for me was Singing in the Rain number.  As you know, Joanne is pretty much my least favourite pro, but all power to her, the choreography was fantabulous - homage with originality combined - and I actually couldn't take my eyes of her and her swirling yellow dress (more on that later).  So much so, that I didn't really notice Ore(o); but I believe you all when you say he was good...

Still not getting Ed - I find him humourlessbut then a bit try-hard in the humour stakes - all those laboured impression of Jim Carey (who I also do not get...). I appreciate that he takes the whole thing a lot more seriously than your Edwina Curries, Nancy De Olive Oil. Jerry Hall, John Humphries or Widdishins, but in the Class of 2016 he is way down the list in either talent or charisma for me.  Sorry everyone  Neutral

The other one who I find uncharismatic is Laura. But having said that I was surprised to see her and Gio in the dance off.  And yes, Sid, having done a bit of research, I agree he is a sleazel.  But I still like looking at him..... I was distraught to see him and Gorka in the dance off - they, with Alijaz (who is an utter gentleman) are my favourite male pros (mainly because of their arses, but in the case of Alijaz because he is also a nice human being and a good teacher...).  Though I love Leslie and I thought she did stupendously well I really thought she and Housewives choice were for it.  Along with Anastacia (as you have all said). I never guessed Tameka would go down...  I was v sad indeed to see both her and Gorka go.  I thought her goodbye speech was wonderful.  Regarding the knee support thing I just assumed that, as she hadn't bought it up as a defence for percieved crap dancing, she just thought she might as well let everyone know after the event.  I didn't get at all that it was a dig at Annie.

Anyway, the upshot is that this watching it all as it happens isn;t all it's cracked up to be and I am quite looking forward to going back to living under my prehistoric stone. As I say, I feel quite traumatised.

So onto happier things - dresses/hair/make-up/shoes and all things glamour-related.

So, that bright yellow sou'wester number of Joanne's.  Should have been hideous, and when she wasn't dancing it absolutely was.  But as a dance dress it was sheer genius and I loved it. I also love the little yellow head thingy - v vintage  Smile

I also like Tess's black 'Sunday' number and Darcy's Saturday dress (her last week's 'sunday' dress was outstanding).  Her 'Sunday' dress this week was a crime.

Naga looked phenomenal - shame it didn't give her the chutzpah for the dance itself.  Mary Poppins looked frumpy (I really can't get over why this should be so). Natalie as Maid Marian was to die for and Robin Hood was HOT HOT HOT! Joanne got a lovely frock again for the pro dance on 'Sunday' - I think she has been taking lots of chocolate and home-baked goodies to the costume people. (This is how it is done peeps - take note....)

I think I have more to say on clothes but my memory has dimininished after the shock of last night's loss of Gorka and Tameka. Maybe it will come back to me later in the week.  In definite need of some glamour therapy.

BTW - re Zorro...  Zorro was sex on legs.  Danny Mac is awful. I really don't care if Zorro has done this before - he lit my fire.  But Danny Mac - eww!  I am torn Sid, between good and evil - what can I do?? And now Gorka has gone....

Oh, and Oti - yes, she is brilliant. I knew that last year and was gutted she went so early.  Just as I am gutted Gorka left so early - did I mention this?

Finally, welcome to Suzi - hope you enjoy communing amongst us as much as I do :-)

PS - I don't think I have mentioned anywhere how much I enjoyed Claudiathegymnast's charleston and the outfit she wore for it - a marriage made in heaven and a walking (dancing?) advert for making sure the outfit accurately fits the dance in order for us all to get maximum enjoyment Smile
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Did I always call you d&p? It doesn't sound or feel right! I'm switching to 'diamonds' if that's permissable Razz Anyway, onto the important stuff, how adorable was Gorka on ITT? His face and accent get cuter by the minute! Can I not tempt you away from Danny and in the direction of some ginger spice?

I'm also one of those rare people that doesn't find Jim Carrey funny. In fact, he makes me want to punch him in the chops. But bizarrely I found Ed Balls doing Jim Carrey hilarious (not that Ed's naturally funny either but given the right context he manages to be).

You're so right about Jo's dress by the way. I don't think that yellow is an easy colour to pull off but gosh it looked delightful as she danced.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:27 pm

Sid wrote:I'm also one of those rare people that doesn't find Jim Carrey funny. In fact, he makes me want to punch him in the chops.
Me too. Generally don't find slap-stick American type humour funny
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:38 pm

Sid wrote:I'm also one of those rare people that doesn't find Jim Carrey funny. In fact, he makes me want to punch him in the chops.
Me three.... Have never been able to watch any film with him in it, he makes my skin crawl.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:47 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:
Me three.... Have never been able to watch any film with him in it, he makes my skin crawl.

Except perhaps The Truman Show. That was a very different kettle of fish.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:06 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:

Me probably 5.447.... I know a lot of people who can't stand Jim Carrey so I am aware I'm not alone. He's deeply unfunny and extremely annoying. I can't really remember the Truman Show, so can;t comment on that.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:17 pm

Sid wrote:Did I always call you d&p? It doesn't sound or feel right! I'm switching to 'diamonds' if that's permissable Razz  Anyway, onto the important stuff, how adorable was Gorka on ITT? His face and accent get cuter by the minute! Can I not tempt you away from Danny and in the direction of some ginger spice?

I'm also one of those rare people that doesn't find Jim Carrey funny. In fact, he makes me want to punch him in the chops. But bizarrely I found Ed Balls doing Jim Carrey hilarious (not that Ed's naturally funny either but given the right context he manages to be).

You're so right about Jo's dress by the way. I don't think that yellow is an easy colour to pull off but gosh it looked delightful as she danced.

Yes Sid, I believe you did Smile But Diamonds is also permissable Smile

Re the ginger one - I'm not allowed (even though I was ogling him as Robin Hood) because my dear friend always claims the ginger ones as hers and I really don't to ruin our friendship over a man... Wink
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:30 am

Jim Carey? Do you mean that poor man's Jerry Lewis from back in the 1950's? Fortunately, trailers apart I've never seen him in a film. The trailers were enough. Which brings me (songwise) to the subject of Rat-Pack week. What a staggering array of choice Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Peter Lawford and Sammy Davies Jnr could serve up. Dean Martin's "Inamorata" alone would bring the house down......
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:38 am

TANGOLERO wrote: Which brings me (songwise) to the subject of Rat-Pack week. What a staggering array of choice Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Peter Lawford and Sammy Davies Jnr could serve up. Dean Martin's "Inamorata" alone would bring the house down......

Now you're talking - what a great idea, I'd like to throw Glen Miller/ big band into the mix. My dad would like that
cheers
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:11 am

TANGOLERO wrote:Jim Carey? Do you mean that poor man's Jerry Lewis from back in the 1950's? Fortunately, trailers apart I've never seen him in a film. The trailers were enough. Which brings me (songwise) to the subject of Rat-Pack week. What a staggering array of choice Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Peter Lawford and Sammy Davies Jnr could serve up. Dean Martin's "Inamorata" alone would bring the house down......

Rat Pack Week would be great!
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Ed Balls on Loose Women @ 1pm today
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:07 pm

B4p wrote:Ed Balls on Loose Women @ 1pm today

Thanks for the heads up B4, I think he's coming across really well, quick-witted and a good sport. I intend to read his book.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Sid wrote:

Thanks for the heads up B4, I think he's coming across really well, quick-witted and a good sport. I intend to read his book.

Hubby halfway through it Sid, says it's a really easy read and Ed seems like a nice bloke.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:25 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:

Now you're talking - what a great idea, I'd like to throw Glen Miller/ big band into the mix. My dad would like that
cheers

Oh yeah Alls. Very Happy ...and Arty Shaw's version of Begin the Beguine please,, cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:28 pm

fiftynotout wrote:

Hubby halfway through it Sid, says it's a really easy read and Ed seems like a nice bloke.

When I read his anecdote about the beef / Gordon Brown mix-up I knew I had to read the rest fifty!

I love that he said on Loose Women just now how he's learning the piano and took his exam with 8 year olds lol Bless him.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Never realised Ed has written a book. I cannot cope with oose women all that shrieking and gnashing of shrill voices from the audience yuk no no. Felt the same about Des and Mel pass the sick bucket. I really hate a lot of daytime tv I catch up on what I've missed daytime. Why do tv shows think we want to see awful quiz shows or Jeremy put something on the end 9f it neurotic show! I loved Oprah once and had a secret love for Dr Phil! Mind you I was recovering from spine fusion and I got addicted to him during lunch hour at the hospital. ....

I'll look at Ed's book too. Btw I do like Jim Carey and some films are ok some are not. I loved Norman Wisdom to in his too short suit comedy films too. I'd like to see more Jazz featured in SCD and Classical.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:14 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Never realised Ed has written a book.

A cynical person would say he is only on Strictly to promote said book and yet he hasn't mentioned it (as far as I know). Liking him a little bit more every day...
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:46 pm

saxonsiren wrote: I cannot cope with oose women all that shrieking and gnashing  of shrill voices from the audience yuk no no. Felt the same about Des and Mel pass the sick bucket. I really hate a lot of daytime tv I catch up on what I've missed daytime. Why do tv shows think we want to see awful quiz shows  or Jeremy put something on the end 9f it neurotic show!  I loved Oprah once and had a secret love for Dr Phil! Mind you I was recovering from spine fusion and I got addicted to him during lunch hour at the hospital...

Loose Women is completely ghastly sax! I only tuned in for Ed. There was a really cringey moment where they asked him which of the panel he'd snog, marry, avoid and 'spoon' Rolling Eyes

Back in my student days I never missed Mel & Sue's Light Lunch or Watercolour Challenge.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Sid wrote:

When I read his anecdote about the beef / Gordon Brown mix-up I knew I had to read the rest fifty!

I love that he said on Loose Women just now how he's learning the piano and took his exam with 8 year olds lol Bless him.

Okay, as a pianist I think I am beginning to like Ed even more now...
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:37 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:JWhich brings me (songwise) to the subject of Rat-Pack week. What a staggering array of choice Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Peter Lawford and Sammy Davies Jnr could serve up. Dean Martin's "Inamorata" alone would bring the house down......

Genius! I'm in.... Very Happy
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:09 pm

Sid wrote:Back in my student days I never missed Mel & Sue's Light Lunch or Watercolour Challenge.
Oh yes, I'm right back in my student house Sid, we loved Mel and Sue waaaay before TGBBO! And OMG watercolour challenge, I'd completely forgotten that! Smile
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 42 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31 ... 42  Next