Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week?

+6
diamondsandpearls
saxonsiren
jingle
mauveangel09
TANGOLERO
B4p
10 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 7 Empty Re: SCD 2017 Which music and dance choices this week

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:11 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

Let's hope he doesn't opt for those three-quarter length pyjamas, black socks and street shoes he had last time. lol!

lol! lol! lol!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 7 Empty Re: SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week?

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:36 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

Let's hope he doesn't opt for those three-quarter length pyjamas, black socks and street shoes he had last time. lol!

I was intrigued ,so I checked out matadors online... and they do seem to have three quarter length trousers (some of them very pyjama looking, others less so,) and varying colours of socks. Can't comment on the shoes.. The matadors are more like ballet slippers with bows (not as macho a look as the rest of the outfit!)

(I tried to post images of Kevin and a matador so you could see them side by side but it wouldn't let me copy and paste images - and if I put the url in you get loads of extraneous stuff (like a whole Daily Mail page affraid ) )
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 7 Empty Re: SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week?

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:23 am

Yes,I've been to bulfights in past years (to my shame now as I've had a reversal of opinion on the art) and matador trousers usually finish at the knee or just below it, but they are close fitting, not at all like Kevin wore, and the socks are white or pink with, as you say D&P ballet type slippers (most likely designed to get the hell out of there rather pronto when the bull get's a bit stroppy) . Kevin's outfit ( although his paso was very good) was almost a comedy parody, sort of Mr Bean does the Corrida, with shoes by Marks and Spencers. Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:32 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Yes,I've been to bulfights in past years (to my shame now as I've had a reversal of opinion on the art) and matador trousers usually finish at the knee or just below it, but they are close fitting, not at all like Kevin wore, and the socks are white or pink with, as you say D&P ballet type slippers (most likely designed to get the hell out of there rather pronto when the bull get's a bit stroppy) . Kevin's outfit ( although his paso was very good) was almost a comedy parody, sort of Mr Bean does the Corrida, with shoes by Marks and Spencers.  Wink  

Unlike me not to notice the detail, but yes, of course, you're right, they were tighter than our Kev's.... I DID notice the pale socks though - as you say,white, pink, or I saw a couple in a pleasing shade of turquoise. No black... And definitely no loafers...

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:01 pm

He could actually have got away with full length trousers and cuban-heeled boots D & P, as that's what most flamenco dancers wear, and the women quote often assume the role of the cape instead of the bull these days (as you will know). Ah well, at least the music will be great.... Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:37 am

Paso ti Live and Let Die again. Attempted a few years ago by Letitia Dean and thought that was her best dance before she exited.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 7 Empty Voting Dilemma tonight

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:20 pm

OK so I can't watch the whole  show live tonight due to a family event ( rude!) so do I give all my votes to Mollie blind just because I'm so cross with the hand she's been dealt this week, or do I split my votes for my three faves which is Mollie Joe and Gemma because I want all three to be safe too?!

It doesn't seem right voting when I can't watch but I feel I should still,keep my support going! scratch confused
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:58 pm

I confess I just vote for my favourites regardless of how well they've danced. Then I use OH's BBC account to do some more voting......
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:31 pm

lol!
Good for you jingle!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:29 am

study Remaining Dances Week 10 study

I think I've got this right, but please shout up if I haven't. I've listed the dancers according to their overal points score on the scoreboard total so far.

Alexandra & Gorka -  Foxtrot, V.Waltz, Charleston, Rumba, Salsa

Debbie & Giovanni - Foxtrot, Waltz, American Smooth, Jive, Argentine Tango,

Joe & Katya - Quickstep, Waltz, American Smooth, Samba, Argentine Tango,

Davood & Nadiya - Foxtrot, Waltz, Tango, Salsa, Argentine Tango,

Gemma & Aljaz -  Quickstep, Tango, Rumba, Samba, Argentine Tango,

Mollie & AJ - Quickstep, Waltz, Rumba, Samba, Argentine Tango,

Susan & Kevin - Waltz, American Smooth,  Rumba, Salsa, Argentine Tango,

Forgot to mention, is it this week we have the Paso-Doble waste-a-time-a-thon/rearrange the scoreboard-a-thon?

Last edited by B4p on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:19 pm

study Week 10 Music & Dance Choices  study

Susan and Kevin - American Smooth to Beyond the Sea by Bobby Darin
https://youtu.be/5bRAtV-jgoQ

Joe and Katya - Quickstep to Jumpin’ Jack by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
https://youtu.be/TEWuZ0QBvlo

Mollie and AJ - Quickstep to The Baseballs’ version of Umbrella by Rihanna
https://youtu.be/URxzu8EFBVY

Davood and Nadiya -  Waltz to With You I’m Born Again by Billy Preston and Syreeta Wright
https://youtu.be/oqTq8gckf8E

Gemma and Aljaz - Samba to The River of Dreams by Billy Joel
https://youtu.be/7vPv3x9lTO8

Alex and Gorka - Rumba to Halo by Beyonce
https://youtu.be/bnVUHWCynig

Debbie and Giovanni - Argentine Tango to Por Una Cabeza by Carlos Gardel and Alfredo Le Pera
https://youtu.be/AX2gkewSe6U
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks B4
I think Joe and Debbie have lucked out music wise this week.
Poor Gemma could struggle with that one Evil or Very Mad
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:33 pm

B4p wrote:study Remaining Dances Week 10 study

I think I've got this right, but please shout up if I haven't. I've listed the dancers according to their overal points score on the scoreboard total so far.

Forgot to mention, is it this week we have the Paso-Doble waste-a-time-a-thon/rearrange the scoreboard-a-thon?
Great work B4 - and yes sadly I do believe it is the wasteoftimeathon this week
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 7 Empty Re: SCD 2017 which music and dance choices this week

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 pm

B4p wrote:study Remaining Dances Week 10 study

So does this mean that the finalists get to swerve two dances? We now only have three weeks before the final - this week, the quarters and the semis. Bit depressing to realize how far in we now are.................

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:So does this mean that the finalists get to swerve two dances?  We now only have three weeks before the final - this week, the quarters and the semis.   Bit depressing to realize how far in we now are.................
I hadn't taken off the dance that they're doing this week mauve. Just updated it if that helps.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 7 Empty ReL Strictly 2017 which music and dance choices this week

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Yes Debbie and Joe have some good music and I agree Gemma could struggle with the Samba - surprised Alijaz didn't swerve this one. Susan once again has a real classic piece of music for a Foxtrot based American Smooth and no doubt they will try to crowd please again, so it makes me concerned for Mollie, who again has some naff music and is up against Joe doing the same dance, although equally, some of the others have dances that they might find trickier than what they've had in recent weeks along with distinctly average music at best - could be a bit of a leveller this week coupled with the fact that the judges often pull back the scores a bit now in the run-up to the final. I just can't believe that we are at the business end of the contest already...................... Sad

On a related subject - I've found the voting patterns quite interesting this year in that the fan bases in general don't seem so solid for individuals as what they've been in the past. I think the audience is now a lot more discerning about the 'whole package' of the routine in terms of music, costumes, choreography and regardless of the celebrity they haven't been shy in giving certain routines a 'thumbs down' - Aston couldn't be forgiven for a bad week - along with Davood, Debbie etc - so given the somewhat fickle fortunes of this year, it should be an interesting finish with nothing guaranteed.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Merci B4.

What's the big deal about Halo? Everyone's going doolally about it on my Twitter feed but it's pretty boring to me and sung with that awful 'affected' voice modern singers have (sorry I'm such a fogey sometimes).

I thought they might try and ditch Susan post-Blackpool but she's got music that could well save her.

Love Joe and Debbie's music too.

Gemma's popularity better hold up is all I can say....
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Hmm, not a bad collection this week - looking forward already...

However the sore thumbs are Billy Joel as a Samba (eh?) and possibly Umbrella Not Sung By Rhianna (could work, could go horribly wrong).

Halo - meh, don't care. It's for the Rumba so it makes no difference to me. Also, it's Alex doing a rumba (oh the emoting and intensity that we will see...).

Am now cross that Susan getting the good tunes that could be made more of by others. The paso last week was one, and Beyond the Sea (though I prefer the Charles Trenet version, especially as it is for the AS) is another.

Sadly, I really like the tune Davood and YASB have - if they mess it up by being too In Lurve and yearning and gurning I shall have to stamp my little Diamond foot. (But it's going to be 'Just Waltz' you know...)

Joe's QS is going to be the joy for me. Katya bounces around like a 70's kid on Spacehopper and she will just take Joe with her.

The AT tune is a stonker, but I am feeling a bit squirmy at the thought of Debs doing an AT...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 7 Empty Re: SCD 2017 which music and dance choices this week

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:52 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Am now cross that Susan getting the good tunes that could be made more of by others.  The paso last week was one, and Beyond the Sea (though I prefer the Charles Trenet version, especially as it is for the AS) is another.

It intrigues me that K evin almost never gets a duff piece of music - when most of the others do - to a lesser or greater degree. How is that??? AJ regularly gets some shockers - last year and this year - or is there no accounting for taste??

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:19 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

It intrigues me that K evin almost never gets a duff piece of music - when most of the others do - to a lesser or greater degree. How is that???  AJ regularly gets some shockers - last year and this year - or is there no accounting for taste??

I don't think it is Kevin that has better musical taste then AJ - I think AJ draws shorter straws... It is clear that people on the production team (eg Jason and his merry band of people) choose the music, and all concepts thought up by the pros have to be run past them, and thus the pros are often not allowed their own ideas but have one foisted upon them. I'm pretty sure, not-so-great-at-ballroom though she is didn't think, 'bing! I know, we have a song about heartbreak to dance to but we won't base out VW on the emotion of that song, we'll base it on how the lead singer looked at that time and the kind of music he usually sang...'(Surprised they didn't try to make Aston look 12....)

What I am not sure is how some pros draw the longer straws consistently.... I think it will take more than some homemade cookies to curry favour with the Theme Team...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:19 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:Hmm, not a bad collection this week - looking forward already...

Am now cross that Susan getting the good tunes that could be made more of by others.  The paso last week was one, and Beyond the Sea (though I prefer the Charles Trenet version, especially as it is for the AS) is another.

Yo tambien D & P. Bobby Daren's "Beyond the Sea" was great as popular chart music, very finger snapping, "hep,hep" stuff, but it isn't even comparable to the Charles Trenet Version , or even Julio's from the Tinker Tailor, Soldier Spy,( and Mr Bean's Holiday) film (both of which are "La Mer" as opposed to the made up Beyond the Sea version.) For me, that and the Tango music are the only real music of interest this week. I'm very old-fashioned about music and was very, very unhappy when we were forced to dance the Jive to The Baseballs, "Crazy in love" instead of Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" , to suit someone's personal choice for T.V....but that's another story..Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:24 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

Yo tambien D & P. Bobby Daren's "Beyond the Sea" was great as popular chart music, very finger snapping, "hep,hep" stuff, but it isn't even comparable to the Charles Trenet Version , or even Julio's from the Tinker Tailor, Soldier Spy,( and Mr Bean's Holiday)  film (both of which are "La Mer" as opposed to the made up Beyond the Sea version.) For me, that and the Tango music are the only real music of interest this week. I'm very old-fashioned about music and was very, very unhappy when we were forced to dance the Jive to The Baseballs, "Crazy in love"  instead of Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" , to suit someone's personal choice for T.V....but that's another story..Wink  

I read about it Tango :-) Only yesterday mind, so I well and truly missed it, but I was mighty impressed all the same...

I like to think myself as havving a wide, varied and even eclectic taste and reach in music, but before tonight's ITT I had never heard of the Baseballs - and now you mention them again? Who, pray tell, are they exactly? They seem to delight in taking hits which fall loosely into the R&B category and mess aroudn with them....

Virrrrry eenterrresteeng Meesterrr Boned
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 pm

[quote="diamondsandpearls"]

Till we got lumbered with that daft record I also had never heard of The Baseballs, D & P. I still have the D.V.D we were given somewhere. I'd love to find it and jump on it from a great height. That's only the first time I've heard them mentioned in tonight's list since back then. In retrospect, would I do it all again.......................................not a chance, not even half of one. Evil or Very Mad
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 am

[quote="TANGOLERO"]

I just googled them...  They're a sort of Elvis Presley wannabes tribute act who rockabilly-ise more current (not that current though!) hits.  So, I can kind of see that they could be used for a jive (only kind of....) but I can't see how either original song or a rockabilly version of 'Umbrella' makes for a good QS. I was going to say 'but what do I know?', but actually, I do know.  It's the wrong style and essence for the era and feel of a QS.  Ballroom dancing is not, and can never be, modern.  Just by choosing weird music you are not suddenly going to have everyone Walzzing or Quickstepping when they go clubbing.  Ballroom is some thing you choose to do, knowing full well that it is 'old time' dancing.  To keep the spirit of the old time intact you need to keep the essence of the era or feel of the dance.  Which means you can have more modern or current tracks, of course, but they ned to be chosen with care, and most of, respect.

This track is extremely DISrespectful to the QS.

PS - I often watch with my 23 year old friend. She also HATES (much more than an old fogey like me) the non-traditional tunes. She is always wowed the most when Paso, Tango and AT are they are done to traditional music and goes on and on after about the wonderful music. Most fans, even and perhaps particularly, the younger ones, are, as I think it was Mauve said somewhere, very savvy now about the whole thing - the music, costumes, choreography - the whole package. Aston didn't get the votes he needed because the dance didn't leave a lasting, or wow! impression. It was just... bizarre. Conversely, Gemma's dance is being universally loved - and that was to a 50 year old tune, and danced, choreographically speaking, very traditionally in the Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly Hollywood style of American Smooth. The younger fans are no different to the older fans in wanting music, costumes, and choreography to come together to ooze the essence of the dance. So yes, it can be a more current tune, but it has to be the essence of that dance. Good examples are Bang! used by Artem and Natalie for the Charleston, 'A Thousand Years' used by Kimberley and Pasha for the VW (NB - sleeve-waft alert! I love you), and (though I hate Coldplay with a passion) 'Trouble' used for Katya and Joe's Foxtrot (it was a theme week, but the general sentiment and rhythm of the song would have still worked for a unthemed, romantic Foxtrot).
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:53 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Halo - meh, don't care. It's for the Rumba so it makes no difference to me.  Also, it's  Alex doing a rumba (oh the emoting and intensity that we will see...).

I'm a bit apprehensive about the Alex rumba, though it'll be interesting to see if she can dance slowly,

Susan's routine is bound to have a nautical theme - I've got vague memories of someone (Kimberly Walsh maybe?) starting their dance from a giant oyster shell..wonder will they dust the cobwebs off that prop.  Though I'm also having visions of Susan and Kevin being dressed in stripy long-john swimming costumes and rubber rings.

I'm hoping Mollie's quickstep doesn't involve actual umbrellas with umbrella-ography.

Just want to add my advance protest about the fix-the-scoreboard-athon Twisted Evil
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next