Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

+8
Twirlie
mauveangel09
CaledonianCraig
jingle
allsewnonbyhand
saxonsiren
TANGOLERO
B4p
12 posters

Page 17 of 23 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:48 pm

Late to the party and not much to add to what has been said. Absolutely fell about watching the lindyshambles, funniest part of the night! For what it's worth, I really liked Faye's waltz - especially the pivots- and Stacey's paso- oh shock, done to decent music Evil or Very Mad Charles has put himself right back in danger with that tango. Didn't go much on Joe's dance, and impossible to mark scratch

I think the result is going to be really telling as to public support- Lauren has avoided the dance off despite being bottom, but will that happen tonight? I threw votes to Graeme as out of the obvious bottom three I would prefer him to stay. I'm with Robbie Savage and fifty- aren't we due a shock dance off?!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: SCD 2018 'Tangos Little Bit of Honesty' thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:10 pm

Twirlie - the 'clubs' comment

lol! lol! lol!  love it. That's made my day...………..

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Got to the stage now where it's a real shame someone just gets the goodbye card. They've all tried genuinely to improve and they surely have done that. Choice of dance, choice of music, judges favouritism and the G.B.P vote are all in play now, but to have come this far we surely have to really feel for anyone going out. I had this feeling for Kate last week; she did so well, bit in fairness this year's eliminations have been pretty spot on so far. Best of luck to them all.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Totally agree Twirlie that track is always Ramps and Karen. Did watch it live for a change last night. Disliked Lauren’s music choice this week and last week and feel she has reached her peak. I disliked Joe’s dance but that is my age! I loved Stacey’s paso just for her give it a go and Kevin loves it. Ashley leaves me cold although she can dance. Faye and Gio were beautiful and I did like her dress. As for who goes I too agree with Robbie Savage shock dance off is needed.
Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:04 pm

Can’t believe it posted the gremlins have blocked my posts!!!!
Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:12 pm

Gremlins in the system are very frustrating Moova. Not sure if this would work for you, but if I'm doing a long post I'll often type it in Word and then copy and paste the whole thing. It seems to work ok for me.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks Jingle I will try that. I always read all the posts
Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:13 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Got to the stage now where it's a real shame someone just gets the goodbye card. They've all tried genuinely to improve and they surely have done that.  

Totally agree. Though some are obviously less good, it's still sad to see them go.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:01 pm

jingle wrote:Gremlins in the system are very frustrating Moova. Not sure if this would work for you, but if I'm doing a long post I'll often type it in Word and then copy and paste the whole thing. It seems to work ok for me.

I used to do that regularly at one time, Jingle. I went through a gremlin spell and got just a little er, frustrated, so Word it was. Makes sense. Mind you, some of my early comments were a bit sort of "Book of Kells" lengthy. I think I've improved a bit since then. lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Who said it was time for a shocker in the Dance Off? Not quite as bad as it might have been, but still a surprise.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:37 pm

Oh wow, yes a surprise dance off at last - just a big shame imo that it wasn't ringer vs ringer.

If I've done the maths right, it means Lauren must have been either 1st or 2nd in the public vote - as a Lauren voter I'm delighted about that, but also quite surprised to be honest.

Ashley must've got the lowest vote so I wonder if she'll be in every DO from now on. Oh, that's made me realise that there's only three more shows to go, crikey.

jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:48 pm

“The time has come," the Walrus said, “To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax-- Of cabbages--and kings-- "

Or maybe of a few points that matter, or should, about Strictly Come Dancing, regardless of tonight's result:
Strictly is a knockout competition whereby one contestant (the poorest dancer presumably) goes home each week until the final, where the one who turns out the best display wins the plastic tiles trophy. All as it should be and, if it were judged on that criteria by the professional judges, fair and just. But the sadistic organisers throw in a red herring called the voting public, who are not as fair and impartial to good dance as they might be. Love, lust, fantasy dreams, Tweet and Twitter and, in some cases sheer lunacy are all thrown in the ring with abandon.The status quo is affected by public appeal for pop stars, T.V soap actors and every sort of celebrity ever born. This is the point where the waters get muddied and rules get a little flexible (to say the least) and good dancing doesn't exactly guarantee success.

Pevious form or performance should not count in a knockout competition in any way, only the merits of performing here and now, and a dance off should be judged the same way. If this isn't so, why not save everyone the trouble and just award a trophy on reputation? C raig's "no brainer" comment tonight should have been his personal thought/decision not a callous comment out loud that was a real kick in the teeth to the recipiant. The fact that he was right is irrelevant against the rules. The public decided the gladiators, but the thumb downs were the judges rule and a little decorum and common respect would hurt no one. If I were Graeme I'd have been less than happy about it. He at least left like a gentleman.

TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:59 pm

I totally agree Tango, I winced at the 'no brainer' comment too. Also, I thought B.runo stuck the boot in too, can't remember his exact words but something along the lines of 'there's no contest'. Thank goodness Darcy was more balanced and also gave a valid reason.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:37 pm

jingle wrote:Oh wow, yes a surprise dance off at last - just a big shame imo that it wasn't ringer vs ringer.
If I've done the maths right, it means Lauren must have been either 1st or 2nd in the public vote ...Ashley must've got the lowest vote so I wonder if she'll be in every DO from now on.  

Yes we figured that too Jingle- I said it would be a test of public vote and we certainly got that! The only possible way Ashley will ever go out is if we get ringer v ringer, the judges made that blatantly clear. I agree though Jingle, I'm surprised that Lauren was so high in the public vote- but maybe like me people are voting for the ones at the bottom they want to keep in rather than the ones they like at the top- and as was proved, that's potentially a dangerous game. I gave my votes to Graeme ( not that it did much good) to try and save him, even though Faye was prob my fave on the night. To be honest, I would have thought charles was in more danger popularity wise than Graeme, shows what I know! Would love to see the % of the shares of the public vote out of interest.

allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:01 am

Was out having a lovely catch up with some very dear friends so didn't see results show live. But have caught up with your comments and know who was in the dance off and who went.

So sad to see Graeme go. He wasn't the best dancer but he gets an A for effort every time. He and Oti had one of the nicest partnerships of this year too. His dances always had good content and he made a good fist of them. I would have preferred it to be Charles who went this week, but hey ho.

And, at least one half of my fantasy dance-off was present!

I'm so glad that Lauren has got the public support. She now can concentrate on the ballroom dances and hopefully she will show us some lovely dances in a par with her waltz.

I still want Stacey in a dance off with a ringer. See if that's a 'no brainer"...  It appears that I am not alone in disliking that Paso, though I am in a minority.

I'm a bit bored of it all now. There is only Lauren left of anyone I actually cared about winning, and it seems that the battle will be between Joe and Stacey. Which we all predicted by week 3, so now there is no interest left for me.

And I absolutely don't want either of them to win.

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:14 am

TANGOLERO wrote:
Strictly is a knockout competition whereby one contestant (the poorest dancer presumably) goes home each week until the final, where the one who turns out the best display wins the plastic tiles trophy. All as it should be and, if it were judged on that criteria by the professional judges, fair and just.

Fair and just perhaps if you consider the judges always judge fairly (I don't), but barely interesting to an audience which isn't invested in the result. I fear the show would quickly disappear from our screens if the audience had no say in the results.  Plus some years, the obviously best dancer is spotted in the opening week. Might as well give him or her the glitter ball then!  If the audience has a vote then they start to care about the dancers and the results, and the show stays on our screens. I agree with you about C/raig's comment. We all know he can be rude, but at the end of the evening when someone's going out, that was just crass.

What I do find interesting is a hypothetical situation if Ashley and Faye had both been in the Dance Off tonight. Rightly or wrongly I feel that Ashley is the judges' favourite, yet Faye got better marks tonight. If they both repeated their dances exactly the same, would the judges have followed through with the same marks? I'm sure C/raig for one would have found some excuse to reverse the positions. Ashley can do no wrong in his eyes. I don't know about the others, but I'm sure Shirley would have had to vote.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:47 am

[quote="Twirlie"]

Which is more or less my point. Okay, I agree the show probably wouldn't last long and go the way of Come Dancing except for the faithful; controversy is all part of the game wherever people are involved. I readily admit I have been impressed by Ashley from the off and it's also great to see how well a couple have reined her in. I just get a bit wound up at blatant unfairness. D arcy and B runo are probably the fairest judges and I don't think D arcy is as lead by C raig as she once was. Ah well, que sera. Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:31 pm

Just watched the Saturday night show and results back-to-back. As soon as Graeme had that stumble you felt his time was up. Lauren or Charles should have joined Graeme in the dance-off as they were the weakest dancers on the night. As soon as Ashley ended up alongside Graeme it was game over without a doubt. I do agree with the above comments that C.raig and B.runo were totally tactless when giving their reasons for choosing Ashley.....sad. Graeme epitomises to me the ideal Strictly contestant. He came in as green as grass and totally untrained and he loved the experience, strived hard to do the best he could and gave us some great dances. You will be missed Graeme but his exit was inevitably on the cards sooner or later you felt. Dance of the week for me was Kevin and Stacey's Paso - brilliant.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit of Honesty Thread'

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:41 pm

I didn't get a chance to post again last night. I've read all the comments and yes I agree - it was a shock DO but not completely the one we wanted! I must admit my first reaction was to find it all a bit fishy as to why the voters would suddenly desert Ashley last night when they have not done so in all the other weeks and putting aside the support for Lauren, I would have put Charles low down in votes particularly given his history and the fact that he did the most forgettable Tango ever on Saturday night - but there you go. It seemed as though the judges wanted rid of Graeme since the get-go on Saturday and it would have been harder for them to have waved him goodbye if he had been up against either Lauren or Charles...…………..however, Mr Mauve reminded me that the voting is all above board and subject to the regulator even though they don't ever release the percentages Very Happy Very Happy

It was sad to see Graeme go but we knew it was on the cards, however in my own SCD world you have to be a 'good all rounder' to justify your place in the contest at this late stage - that rules out both Charles and Lauren for me. Charles is a great latin dancer but hasn't mastered the ballroom at all - Lauren is the opposite, a lovely ballroom dancer but not good at the latin or speciality n umbers. Graeme on the other hand was to me slightly more of an all rounder - so for me personally he would have been worth another week or two over either Lauren or Charles on that basis, but that's just me...………. Very Happy

Anyway - it just shows that however predictable we think it is all getting - suddenly the unpredictable factor rears its head and perhaps that ringer v ringer DO isn't so beyond the realms of possibility than what we have been thinking????? I thought at the beginning of the contest that there possibly would not be room for 2 ringers in the Final...…….so who knows? Question Question

On another note - how brilliant that Arlene was the choreographer for the opening n umber last night! I absolutely loved it and the introduction to it all that they did on ITT last week was fascinating - I really enjoyed it and the snippets of interview with Arlene - obviously the show have finally and belatedly put out an olive branch to her but I suppose it would have been a step too far to have her in the audience last night!

Must get on with watching ITT now...………... Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:20 am

A certain newspaper (I use the term very loosely as invention and exaggeration are not unknown with it) has it that Ashley is getting a lot of unfriendly wallop backstage and amongst the fans of others. How true it actually is I know not, but it does seem she's having her history throw at her quite a bit. She was, apparently, totally shocked at her appearance in the dance off? Much ado about nothing, or...????
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:23 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:A certain  newspaper (I use the term very loosely as invention and exaggeration are not unknown with it) has it that Ashley is getting a lot of unfriendly wallop backstage and amongst the fans of others. How true it actually is I know not, but it does seem she's having her history throw at her quite a bit. She was, apparently, totally shocked at her appearance in the dance off? Much ado about nothing, or...????
I wouldn't be at all surprised if she was shocked at being in the Dance Off... otherwise I suspect you are right... Shakespeare rules!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:44 pm

Having pondered the Ashley question for a while, the answer has finally come to me. She lacks humility. That might be the wrong word but if the opposite is cockiness then she has too much of that.

Don’t get me wrong, she’s a nice girl (well, I have no reason to think she isn’t) and clearly an accomplished entertainer. After all is said and done, Strictly is simply a Saturday night entertainment show. In the time honoured fashion, any entertainment show will have light and shade, good and bad, excellence and slapstick. Throw in some singers, a pantomime dame, a comedian, a double act and a couple of good guys and you have the recipe for success. I’m not sure that calling it a dance competition changes anything but I, as a viewer, at least like to see the s.lebs act as if they need to earn their place rather that it being a given.

Now, when I watch Ashley perform (and this has only just come to me), she looks directly into camera with a twinkle in her eye and a half smile on her lips. Just like a seasoned pro. But she is meant to be a s.leb, not a pro! Faye, on the other hand, at least gives the impression of not taking her place for granted.

So, even though I can see exactly where Tangolero is coming from when he says he enjoys her routines and watching her perform, for me she just doesn’t work with the spirit of the show. I don’t mind there being different skill levels but please don’t act like a pro unless you are one.

And as for her being in the dance off, well her lack of public support will only become evident as the field narrows. Until then, she is saved simply by being first or second on the leaderboard, the maths are keeping her there, not the votes.

And my prediction for this week’s DO? Lauren and Ashley - unless the judges put Ashley at the top of the leader board which they may well do.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:01 pm

Has anyone got the final scoreboard count for last Saturday? I've tried looking on the Beeb site but it's so full of junk you can't see what you're looking for.

I've never seen the main site so far removed from any fan interaction. Some Beeb whizz kid does a quick blog each week, stating the obvious in 5 lines or less. The Facebook Page has been taken over by armchair warriors for/against the ringers. Memo to Beeb folks - have a thread with the scoreboards on the main site please. I know the placings have been pretty consistent this year strangely enough (not), but it's still nice to have a numerical confirmation of the judges machinations and the potential effect of the waste-a-time-athon.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:14 pm

B4p wrote:Has anyone got the final scoreboard count for last Saturday? I've tried looking on the Beeb site but it's so full of junk you can't see what you're looking for.

I've never seen the main site so far removed from any fan interaction. Some Beeb whizz kid does a quick blog each week, stating the obvious in 5 lines or less. The Facebook Page has been taken over by armchair warriors for/against the ringers. Memo to Beeb folks - have a thread with the scoreboards on the main site please. I know the placings have been pretty consistent this year strangely enough (not), but it's still nice to have a numerical confirmation of the judges machinations and the potential effect of the waste-a-time-athon.

I found this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/14096b4b-9273-4f96-9151-28531a8c9735 (Scoreboard after the words) - Not sure if this helps/is what you're looking for...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks diamonds but that's the blog I looked at, and it's as clear as mud. Note to Blogger - must improve. Were you drunk when you wrote that?

The info gathered is that Ashley and Stacey have 43 points
Faye has 45

Lauren has 23

No mention of Joe & Charles
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 23 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next