Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

+7
Moova 12
CaledonianCraig
fiftynotout
mauveangel09
diamondsandpearls
TANGOLERO
B4p
11 posters

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:35 pm

I was out last night having a girly gathering for Christmas (we tried the 20th December but had to work backwards until we could find a date we could all just about manage...) so I didn't see the results show. However, I did find out the result and... well, see previous post.

My commentary on Saturday (and having watched the dances again) is:

The choreography in most of them was not the most wowing.

Chris' Foxtrot was aT best a Foxtrot-based AS. They were out of hold for so very long (and not even C raig said a word about the 20 sec rule...) and there was polka and theatre/jazz pasted in there as well. Also, the gapping was awful and he was, as ever, very stompy and flat-footed. It was well overmarked. I really like Chris, but this was not a good foxtrot. And Karen gurning as a blonde Oliver took away the enjoyment I might have had of Chris being an authenitically cheeky Artful Dodger.

Alex had street commercial with a vague samba vibe. Having said that, I thought she did very well against the combined odds of inappropriate music, 90s theming (allegedly), a dreadful outfit and choreography which gave as much of a passing nod to Samba as Kelvin's Couple's Choice did to Northern Soul. She looked like she was having a ball, and of all the dances, leaving aside what dance it was meant to be, this was the one I most enjoyed of the evening. She seemed to be just dancing for the fun of it, and as I (and Tango!) often say, dancing is about moving rythmically to music and having fun. She was in time and, though a little flat-footed, was less stompy than Chris. I genuinely thought her dance - in content and performance - was better than Chris'. I am very bitter indeed that the  online vote I wanted to give, and would have saved her (obvs...!), didn't get through. I have produced 'Justice For Alex' T-shirts, and there will be a peaceful march through all the major cities in the UK, and Blackpool, to raise awareness, with a petition to accompany it which will be sent to the Queen as soon as I have more signatures... (I'm working on it - I've managed to persuade/bully the girls I gathered with last night, La Visage signed willingly, The Lionesses are up for it and... anyone???)

Kelvin as Gaston made my flesh creep (which I guess in acting terms is good, no?) He looked like a very camp John Travolta... There was a lot of VW in the routine, but the rest of it was annoying bobbins. The lift was a bit weird - it didn't look very smooth. I found Kelvin very wide-egged and inelegant. I loved his jive, but otherwise I don't find him nice to watch as a dancer. Something jangles. He doesn't have the poise, smoothness and elegance of Oti's previous partner, Danny. And I have noted that she has never given Kelvin the same level of choreography that she did Danny - I note she leapt of the table into TWO of the pros arms, whereas in their AS she did that dramatic leap straight into Danny's arms (truly breathtaking). Clearly she doesn't have the same level of trust in Kelvin's ability.

Karim's jive was a showstopper but it is by no means a favourite amongst jives. It really did look like it was on stage as a musical number, rather than being a straightforward jive (I think others have noted this). I found myself looking at Amy rather than Karim. I see what people are saying about their partnership - he is definitely her star pupil to her primary schoolteacher. They get on, but he wants to please and she wants to be proud - there isn't the same togetherness of Catherine/Johannes; Michelle/Gio; Alex/Neil (they were so lovely together on ITT tonight Smile ) I've kind of already forgotten it - i'll remember it for all shrieking forore that greeted the finish, but not the dance itself. Whereas I will remember Kelvin and Oti's jive for the dancing and content.

Emma did a creditable charleston to an appropriate song, with an appropriate era setting. Which was why I was expecting a bit more. In all honesty I think it was A nton who lent it the slightly under-whelming note to it. When I watched it again there were a few places where, if he had been in an aerobics class, he would have been doing the lower intensity version. For that reason they were very much NOT in synch... (they weren't doing the same steps!) And again, she was dancing either on her own or with the backing dancers. I appreciate a lot the charleston is side by side, but if you compare it to the routines of others, there is a lot less dancing together. And for me - and I can't put my finger on why exactly - she didn't capture the essence of a thoroughly modern flapper. I think it is the little nuances that were missing (the head wagging and suchlike). And her dress was just a tad too long for a flapper (the reason they were found so shocking is that they wore dresses just above the knee! affraid Anyway, wasn't a huge fan of the routine, but didn't hate it either.

I am finding this season incredibly lacklustre. I don't feel the new producer has quite got the hang of it and is trying to script things. Catherine and Emma were at a similar level when Catherine went out and I feel the series would have been richer if Emma had departed and Catherine and Johannes had stayed in. It goes without saying that Michelle should still be here, and I wonder if Dev would have been more entertaining than who we are left with.

Once I have finished with the 'Justice for Alex' campaign I shall be holding an alternative final with Alex, Catherine and Michelle. Actually, bung either Dev (cos he seemed to have potential) or Chris (because he's a lovely chap when all is said and done and, you know... the J urnee) because I want a four-person final. I've hired the Tower Ballroom - shoud be fun. Do come along.

(Can you tell I've completely thrown in the towel on this series...)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:53 pm

Just caught up with the results show.

What a wonderful, gracious, postitive and unbeat exit by Alex. A true star.

I'm missing her even more now.

(Still bitter. Justice for Alex!)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:18 am

diamondsandpearls wrote:

I am finding this season incredibly lacklustre. I don't feel the new producer has quite got the hang of it and is trying to script things. Catherine and Emma were at a similar level when Catherine went out and I feel the series would have been richer if Emma had departed and Catherine and Johannes had stayed in. It goes without saying that Michelle should still be here, and I wonder if Dev would have been more entertaining than who we are left with.

Once I have finished with the 'Justice for Alex' campaign I shall be holding an alternative final with Alex, Catherine and Michelle. Actually, bung either Dev (cos he seemed to have potential) or Chris (because he's a lovely chap when all is said and done and, you know... the J urnee) because I want a four-person final. I've hired the Tower Ballroom - shoud be fun. Do come along.

(Can you tell I've completely thrown in the towel on this series...)

Oh Diamonds, I'm so glad it's not just me feeling a bit deflated by this years series. I know  Karim and Kelvin's standard is very high, but I just don't feel invested in either of them. I feel Emma (or A.nton) has been helped into the semi final either by luck or design, and it looks like Chris (who I've been voting for) will be dispatched this weekend. Your alternative final in Blackpool sounds nigh perfect (although personally I'd be swapping Alex for Saffron).

Having said all that, I can't believe we're almost at the end already - will miss Strictly when it's over.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am

It definitely hasn't been a vintage year and most of the people I was rooting for have gone - Michelle for example - and I too would have loved to have seen the potential of Catherine develop and felt that actually Saffron was a lot better than both Alex and Chris combined. But don't forget that the people who have gone were voted into the bottom two by GBP (even in some cases when they have been high on the leaderboard) and I don't see how A nton and Emma could have been helped through because they have never been voted into the Dance Off and have had some dodgy dances comments and scoring from the judges over the weeks - so that speaks for itself. I do think however that they have had a run of good dances and music at the right time - for me that's the thing that really helps couples - but it also helped Alex because earlier in the contest she too got a good run of dances/music that suited her and allowed her to take off.

I thought Alex was lovely, gracious in defeat and worked really hard, she developed over the weeks but for me she had reached her ceiling.

I think we started off this contest with a bunch of very competitive people all around the same standard and in a way the earlier part of the contest was more interesting than usual but this is how it has fallen out now - Chris has come out on top of the lucky tree!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:01 am

Might part of the problem this year be that the "celebrities" aren't actually that well known at all except by fanatical goggle-boxers? As such, might it be that they are  a little harder to relate to then somebody actually recognisable? Not being the most prolific star-gazer, at the start of this series Alex Scott was the only name I recognised ( wouldn't have mattered because she mentioned playing football for England every time she was on screen anyway....I can hear the tumbril rolling over the cobblestones as I write affraid ) Oh, and I am familiar with, and a fan of, England ladies football and can name most of the current team off pat. The point is, soap opera actors and media darlings always see to coin the votes rather rather than an unknown Fred or Ginger who turns out to be a good dancer. .

Have a nice day..... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 am

Personally I was very disappointed that Dev left in week 4. I thought David should have left well before Dev who was unlucky with his dance I thought. I expected him to improve by leaps and bounds and to have a good chance to be in the quarter or semi finals.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Twirlie wrote:Personally I was very disappointed that Dev left in week 4. I thought David should have left well before Dev who was unlucky with his dance I thought. I expected him to improve by leaps and bounds and to have a good chance to be in the quarter or semi finals.
I agree Twirlie. I would have liked Dev and Michelle to have had a longer run to add to the competition. It's been a two horse race for most of the series since they left.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:01 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Might part of the problem this year be that the "celebrities" aren't actually that well known at all except by fanatical goggle-boxers? As such, might it be that they are  a little harder to relate to then somebody actually recognisable? Not being the most prolific star-gazer, at the start of this series Alex Scott was the only name I recognised ( wouldn't have mattered because she mentioned playing football for England every time she was on screen anyway....I can hear the tumbril rolling over the cobblestones as I write affraid ) Oh, and I am familiar with, and a fan of, England ladies football and can name most of the current team off pat. The point is, soap opera actors and media darlings always see to coin the votes rather rather than an unknown Fred or Ginger who turns out to be a good dancer. .

Have a nice day..... lol!

I think this matters a bit at the beginning, when everyone is saying "who...?", but by now we have got to know them and are rooting or otherwise. I think the majority of folk are just like us - they vote for a dance they enjoy on the night (eg flippin' gangnam style affraid affraid ), or because they like the personality of the contestant (eg Chris - practically no-one knew who he was), or because they like the pro (A nton in the past had a huge fanclub... though not so much now) Personally I hate football and hadn't a clue who Alex was, but I really liked her attitude.She is a tryer and she doesn't give up easily or lets her inner drama queen get the better of her, and that's why I spent most of my votes on her for the last weeks. I hadn't clue who La Visage was (still not entirely sure) and absolutely loathed her. But again, I admired her attitude towards the whole thing - she was also a tryer and committed everything. So she also got my votes. People like Saffron are allegedy armed with a legion of ready-made fans but I don't think they are actual fans of the show much and so miss the narrow slot to vote - at least after the first few weeks and the novelty has worn off. So, I don't think in the end it matters who people know and don't know, they just vote for people or dances or pros they like from what they see.

Having said that, I think it is pretty clear that the producers actually do a lot of, erm, producing. Or meddling might be another term. Jenny Thomas (she of the expert Charleston Choreography) was shown to have choreographed, or co-choreographed, many routines which weren't Charlestons, including the loathsome Gangnam style. I think the producers have a clear idea of how the want to dancers to be portrayed and are choreographed accordingly. The music choices and the themes (I mean the normal week theming, not Halloween, Movies and Musical weeks - although them as well) and even the order in which they do the dances dictate very much our enjoyment or otherwise. Add to the that the VTs with Nans, cute toddlers, lovely wives, miserable childhood etc etc and the viewer is being manipulated to quite a degree. As Mauve says, Emma has lucked out a lot with her music choices and the dances she has had in the latter weeks. I very much think the producers have a loose narrative, which may not be set in stone, but which they tweek as time goes on, once they see who is popular or not (the B eeb, unlike all other reality shows, will not reveal the public vote for Strictly, which I think is telling). And now, even though I would actually welcome Chris in the final at this stage, even though he is not the greatest dancer, because he is having the time of his life, I feel it unlikely because the two Ks are shoe-ins and they won't want an all-male final. So what we get to see is not necessarily 100% reality but influences us all the same.

They are making a TV show.

That's entertainment!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:22 am

Have to disagree Tango. Every year there are maybe one or two people I recognise and maybe another one or two I’ve heard of but have no idea what they look like. One of the joys of Strictly, for me, is getting to know the s.lebs and, usually, having all my preconceptions ripped to pieces.

This year there were those I liked who couldn’t dance and those I loathed who could dance. Aside from K squared, it really could have been anybody else in the final. On merit alone Saffron, Michelle and Dev should all still be here but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. And, frankly, I don’t begrudge Chris his place for one second. What a j.ourney!

All we need is a K squared dance off and my year will be complete. Sadly I’m going to miss the next two shows altogether but I hope you all enjoy them and the final is better than the damp squib it usually turns out to be. Merry Christmas everyone.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:09 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Have to disagree Tango.  Every year there are maybe one or two people I recognise and maybe another one or two I’ve heard of but have no idea what they look like. One of the joys of Strictly, for me, is getting to know the s.lebs and, usually, having all my preconceptions ripped to pieces.

Ah, you'll notice my view was a question and not a statement Fifty. I ' m a self confessed numpty where "celebrities" (and I use the term very lightly) are concerned. I avoid me-too's, sensation seekers and can't wait to show their undies wannabee media darlings of any persuasion, and most of all politicians' like a plague of killer bees. A "one size fits all" competition is never going to be anything but favouring the young and fit, regardless of dance skills, and if you're a soap star in Coronation Street or the horse manure version (last one I knew was Derek when somebody kidnapped his garden gnomes), you're in with a good chance of success. (Just for interest sake, has an "unknown" ever won Strictly, or even entered it?) Like I said not long ago, I'm a bit too "ordinary" for it all now (thank goodness) lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:13 pm

TANGOLERO wrote: Just for interest sake, has an "unknown" ever won Strictly, or even entered it?

Ore Oduba? Lovely chap, but still no idea who he is/what he does.

Chris Hollins? I think he has something to do with breakfast telly?

Stacey Dooley? Again, still not the foggiest who she is or what she does.

Tom Chambers? Not a scooby (another breakfast chappy?)

Mark Ramprakesh.. I know from the show that he was a cricketer but I had never come across him before that (I don't really do sport)

But I'm sure all of the above are well known to some of you on here, and to many Strictly viewers.

Conversely, others may not have known who Joe McFadden is, but I remember him in Crow Road (which led me to think I would enjoy the writing of Ian Banks. I was wrong. Very wrong). I also knew who Kara Tointon, Harry Judd, Alesha Dixon and Caroline Flack were - many viewers might not.

So, whether they are 'known' or 'unknown', is, like beauty, strictly (pun intended!) in the eye of the beholder....

But in answer to your question Tango, yes, as far as I'm concerned, at least 4 winners of Strictly have been unknown.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:58 pm

I've not really bonded this year re SCD and couples.  I've not watched ITT at all for weeks due mainly to the happy clappy ,yelling ,frenzied background hyenas oops mean Crew & Guests vocals.. No No
have got ITT on record for tonight as want to see Semi Final Friday panel so I'm being brave and viewing.

My favourite at start James Cracknell went for early bath and I had Alex as standby. Boo hoo she went last week so no special bond with remaining couples.
Combination of Awful,awful music (again!) Please someone sack the Musicality Director, Costumes looking as if brought from Primarks rejects and the insane seal clapping audiences, Tess' hand holding ( maybe she's broody?) and Dads Cancer & mom's emotional anguish has subdued my usual activity .
So not sure who should go? Half hope Auntie BeeB just says no! All 4 shall go to the SCD final Ball.
Apologies as my Polls have been late at times or scarce.

Anyway enough of woes, I have ENJOYED reading all your comments on all the threads.  Many an early hour spent with a smile on face reading them and re-reading Diamonds posts flower study sunny

So THANK YOU to each and everyone of you for bringing a little sunshine in for me xxx
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:12 pm

saxonsiren wrote:
I have ENJOYED reading all your comments on all the threads.  Many an early hour spent with a smile on face reading them and re-reading Diamonds posts flower study sunny

So THANK YOU to each and everyone of you for bringing a little sunshine in for me xxx

I love you I love you I love you Thank you!

And wow! (Do you have to read mine twice to make sense of them...?! lol! )

Big hugs and kisses xxx
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:18 am

saxonsiren wrote:I've not really bonded this year re SCD and couples.  I've not watched ITT at all for weeks due mainly to the happy clappy ,yelling ,frenzied background hyenas oops mean Crew & Guests vocals.. No No
have got ITT on record for tonight as want to see Semi Final Friday panel so I'm being brave and viewing.

My favourite at start James Cracknell went for early bath and I had Alex as standby. Boo hoo she went last week so no special bond with remaining couples.
Combination of Awful,awful music (again!) Please someone sack the Musicality Director, Costumes looking as if brought from Primarks rejects and the insane seal clapping audiences, Tess' hand holding ( maybe she's broody?) and Dads Cancer & mom's emotional anguish has subdued my usual activity .
So not sure who should go? Half hope Auntie BeeB just says no! All 4 shall go to the SCD final Ball.
Apologies as my Polls have been late at times or scarce.

Anyway enough of woes, I have ENJOYED reading all your comments on all the threads.  Many an early hour spent with a smile on face reading them and re-reading Diamonds posts flower study sunny

I can see where you are coming from with regards to the celebs this year. I was rooting for Mike and he left a few weeks ago. Of those on the brink of the final I am rooting for Emma to give An.ton a fairytale win but I can't see it. The likely winners are Karim and Kelvin who I can't really take to. They have been too good for my liking from the get go and neither have been on a short trip to Dusseldorf and can't really revel in their dances because of that. Sorry for people here that are fans of them but that is how I feel though I would certainly not begrudge Oti winning. The one contestant left in who has had the biggest short trip to Dusseldorf is Chris but it feels inevitable he will exit this week.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:12 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

I love you I love you I love you Thank you!

And wow! (Do you have to read mine twice to make sense of them...?!  lol! )

Big hugs and kisses xxx

Just love your posts Diamonds find them such a hoot and feel could make a book ie Diary of a Serial Forum Contributer Razz Very Happy
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi Sax :flower

I've missed you posting as much this year - always look forward to it when you do. I haven't watched any of the ITT Friday shows this year as couldn't stomach it either but I did watch last night because of the run up to the semi-final and I thoroughly enjoyed it - re-invigorated me a bit.

Why not give 'Dancing on Ice' a try this year??? After a bit of a naff start when they re-introduced the series two years ago, last year was brilliant in terms of costumes, themes, music etc - a bit of a surprise really - plus the chance to see James Jordan doing his thing. In the end it was just myself, Tango and Jingle on the thread - which was lovely but it would be nice if more of us were on there? I know some people get put off by the endless commercial breaks - which is true - but you can always watch it on delay or record a bit and then you have a bit 'in the bag' to fast forward over. I must admit I am a lot more of a casual viewer - as I think that Jingle and Tango are - in comparison with SCD but for me it is an antidote to not having SCD and I enjoy the fact that the celebs are learning a real skill from scratch and its just great to have some music and dancing on Sunday evenings...…………………………….you wait, now that I've waxed lyrical - the series will turn out to be pants this year...……………... lol! lol!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:16 pm

I loved Dancing on Ice last year. I wanted to post but the forum disappeared! Fingers crossed for this year. I record it and fast forward. No Jason this year I understand so it will be interesting.
Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 19 Empty Semi Finals 2019

Post  B4p Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:03 pm

Firstly I must say, all the contestants have coped really well learning 2 very different dances in about 4 days. They must be absolutely exhausted and they've done well to avoid injuries over the last few weeks in particular.

Emma - Cha-Cha - I think her expressive skills have improved a lot over the past 3 weeks. She still seems to have the wobbles when she’s turning and I think balance issues have dogged her through the series. There was a couple of mistakes at the beginning when she was on the wrong foot but she got back on track quickly. I think An ton’s been clever over the past 2 weeks where he has put ‘stop’ points in the routine to let her catch up or catch her breath. I thought it was a very respectable Cha-cha with lots of light and shade and personality. I agree with the judges regarding the hip action being a bit scarce, but she did a good job

Emma - Waltz - Again some balance issues on turning, and toe leads instead of heels, but a beautiful waltz to stunning music.

Kelvin - Quickstep - Whenever anyone does a Quickstep, I find myself holding my breath. One small mistake and it’s game over. I thought he did a stunning job. Full of technical footwork, and the bit where they were actually running backwards as a pair, was amazing and something I don’t remember seeing anyone else doing.

Kelvin - Paso - I think it’s a shame he didn’t get a chance to do this earlier. For a dance he’s learned in 48 hours, I think he had the flavour although the content wasn’t as intricate as it might have been if they'd have had a weeks practice. He did well to recover after going off on the wrong foot near the beginning. I see Cr aig got his usual quip in about the jete leap. They are always too low or incredibly high. No one is ever average when doing them!

Chris - V.Waltz - I thought Karen created a clever routine for him to reduce his spinning time. His performance skills have improved as well as his scores over the series although he’s still behind the main group.

Chris - Rumba - As Cr aig said ‘wrong dance, wrong day. Emotional not technical. I’ve enjoyed watching Chris working with Karen. His work ethic is great and his refusal to get upset by the judges comments or public digs is refreshing. For a non dancer, he’s come on no end.

Karim - A. Tango - As Karim and Amy both said, the dance is like no other, and a massive challenge to learn in only a few days. I think he did really well. He struck some nice quiet lines and actually danced ‘with’ Amy leading the way. Another one who was doing a lot of toe leads, a habit no doubt from all his latin dances. The slowness of the dance also challenged his balance, particularly when changing direction. Overall I thought he did a great job.

Karim - A.Smooth S.Foxtrot - Shirley said the footwork was impeccable, but again I thought I saw a few toe leads. I didn’t like the lift. I don’t know why they didn’t repeat the one in the A.Tango or a simple lower lift. I think sometimes the lifts get in the way of the dance, particularly if they are overly complicated, take too long, or are just a diz-ar-ster. I liked it, but it was a bit saccharine for me and I didn't believe in the theme.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:23 pm

I don’t know entirely what to think about the show. Not a memorable semi-final but then this isn’t a vintage SCD year, so we need to keep that in mind. There were certainly some cracking dances which I really enjoyed but I think it fair to say that learning two dances this week took its toll on the couples and most of the routines had some ‘wobbles’ in terms of balance and footwork – so all the more strange at the n umber of ‘10’s that were being thrown around for routines that were slightly less than perfect – as pointed out by the judges themselves!

All very well for Shirley to suddenly discover her technical judging skills tonight (about time) but someone really needs to have a word with Motsi

It was an enjoyable show overall and I thought that T ess and C laudia both looked really good tonight.

A nton and Emma – Cha Cha – 8
Not bad at all and I felt she really gave a good performance in terms of energy and confidence. The judges were right to point out that she is so much more confident now. It was a nice routine but technically I felt it was too stop and start and needed to flow more – and there were a few little timing issues. Felt the costume would have been better if it had been gold fringed the whole way up – the nude colour top looked a bit frumpy to me.

Emma and A nton – waltz - 9
A lovely understated waltz which I really enjoyed. It wasn’t a natural waltz piece of music in terms of the rhythm so I think she did well and it was a brave choice of track and lovely music. It was a proper ballroom waltz and I couldn’t see anything wrong with it except a few foot wobbles.

Kelvin and Oti – Quickstep – 9
I loved this routine but felt that he really came alive when out of hold – this wasn’t commented upon by the judges. It was a great performance with bags of energy and great timing – but I didn’t think it was the most light footed quick step that I have seen on SCD. Something about it that stopped me getting out my ‘10’ paddle. Never thought I would be meaner than CRH

!Kelvin and Oti – Paso - 9
Not sure if I really liked this and found it a bit disappointing. Felt he was going to do well on this one but then I agreed with CRH about the lines not being extended enough. I think I was expecting a bit more but it was still a good dance.

Chris and Karen – VW – 7
I actually really enjoyed this for all its flaws. Loved the track and felt he gave a good account of himself – it was a real swirly whirly Viennese Waltz but very skippy and I thought I saw him kick her at one point – ouch!

Chris and Karen – rumba – 6
CRH’s ‘4’ was ridiculou but then so was 2 ‘8’s from the other judges – what??? Chris presented Karen well in this dance and there was some nice chemistry between them but that was about it for me. No rumba walks or hips – considering the mauling that earlier rumbas were given this year. 6 seemed about right. Unlucky choice of dance for the semi-final.

Karim and Amy – AT – 9.5 – maybe 10 – subject to watching it back tomorrow
Well he passed muster with me – (apart from those awful trousers which made him look less than sophisticated) I felt I needed to see him ‘smoulder’ and I felt that he did. It was such a complex AT that I feel I need to watch it back again – so many intricate steps it was a really good interpretation which had Vincent all over it and some good music – I did agree with the judges though that there were a couple of wobbles. Felt the judges were quite picky with this one – I can’t decide whether I should have got the ‘10’ paddle out.

Karen and Amy – American Smooth - 9.5
I thought it was lovely and one of my favourite dances of the night until the botched lift. I liked the flow, the foxtrot bits (easily his best ballroom n umber) and I was ready to give it the highest score until the lift. CRH was correct in saying that there were other better and graceful lifts they could have done and yet still ‘10’ from some judges?????

No surprise on the leaderboard – I feel that if it is between Emma and Chris in the DO then Emma should absolutely stay hands down and deserves a place in the final.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:34 am

Well what can I say. It was a predictable night in many ways but laced with a number of enjoyable dances which is always important but marred again by fanboyish judges and audience.

Emma and An ton (Cha Cha): I thought it started a bit scrappy and she seemed to be consciously placing her feet. It did improved and had a nice flow to it. Not a bad effort at all. A 7.5 from me.

Kelvin and Oti (Quickstep): A great dance that, like CRH I couldn't fault, as it was a real showstopper. Great choreography and footwork. However, for god sake Shirley sit down and stop acting like a lovesick teenage Donny Osmond fan. So unbecoming. A 9.5 from me to pee off Shirley.

Chris and Karen (V.Waltz): A decent dance but did spot or two errors. It had nice choreography and did think CRH's remarks were spot on. A 7.5 from me.

Karim and Amy (A.Tango): Seemed out of sync at times. I spotted one or two errors bt a real good effort but worthy of a ten and total score of 36 - no way. An 8 from me.

Emma and An ton (Waltz): A divine dance to divine music. She danced it very well aside from one or two balance issues. Very enjoyable. Again though not worth a 10 as we saw from B.runo. An 8.5 from me.

Kelvin and Oti (Paso Doble): A good effort this though bit staccato and without real attack. CRH made spot on observations and was rounded on because he dare offer criticism. Sad. Shirley again got on my nerves. Overmarked. An 8.5 from me.

Chris and Karen (Rumba): This was always going to be a tough dance for him. Thought they choreographed it well to give it a different feel and cover up some of his shortcomings. Better than I expected for it. A 7 from me.

Karim and Amy (A.Smooth): I liked this but did not feel it was quite as polished as other dances of his but still more than good enough to see him into the final. Again over-marked for me. An 8.5 from me but judges spotted errors but still flung in 10's what happened to all this talk of it being semis week and having to be harsh?

As I said quite a predictable week. Chris did not let himself down but we saw how far technically he is behind the remainder. Emma showing she has improved and become more confident in recent weeks but still needs more improvement to become a champion here. Kelvin and Karim being fawned over by the judges and handed 10s when I can spot errors and they point them out. Also the fact that if CRH dare criticise either of them the other judges and audience round on him like a pack of hyenas. Wish they would stop being so precious and stop asking when he is getting his 10 paddle out. Chris and Emma in the dance-off with Chris to go.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Trying hard to be totally honest (and avoid mentioning the music) , so:

Get rid of the judges and start again. C.R.H has become a law unto himself and doesn't even listen to the other judges views. For a "professional" judge to be 4 points way from the other three in one dance is quite staggering; in a semi-final it's very wrong and just not acceptable.Chris is almost certainly going our, so why not give him a 7 for effort? Motsi is at least honest as to what impresses her, but totally kiboshed by Shirley's personal favouritism and desire to be critical to distraction and C raig's pantomime dame twirling personal views.. Silver tongued Italian Stallion, well, at least he appreciates the effort to a degree. In short, impartiality isn't a common denominator at all. It should be.

Toe-leads, heel leads...at this stage? What is it, Miss Mitzy's Frida class? Is anybody watching the dancing, the fluidity, the flow? Isn't that the end product? Two hard dances in a week learned by amateur dancers and we're into nit-picking for numpties?. Should anybody get 10's and is it on dance merit or the Union Rule Book for Terpsichory?

I have no staggering comments on the show that differ much with anyone else's. We saw what we saw and what will be, will be (or Que Sera if you want brownie points in Spanish class) . The whole thing seems to have reached a conclusion two or three weeks too soon this time. It just doesn't have the feel of a final at all.....for me.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 19 Empty Re:SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:47 pm

Didn't see that one coming with Karim in the dance off???? I would be really interested in knowing what didn't float GBP's boat with his two dances, as I thought he had two solid crowd pleasers - but there it is - you never know with SCD and I had fingers and toes crossed for Emma, knowing that she would be toast against him in the DO.

Funny really as I have not supported Karim and Amy at all but I did enjoy their dances last night as I finally felt that I saw something different in him. All respect to Chris, great contestant who had a great run and really enjoyed himself.

So tonight was the last Sunday results show for this year Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I must say that one of the best things about the show was the stupendous opening n umber with Carlos da Costa - brilliant music and dancing and just up my street...…………. Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 pm

Not at all surprised the way it panned out. It had to be that way and Kerim was never in danger and convenient that Chris lose out to a far better dancer than chance the G.B.P screwing things up for Emma. Great performances all round and terrific sportsmanship from Chris. Chuffed for Housewives choice and Emma because they have nothing to lose now. I do expect Kelvin will take the mirror tile football on a close call, but hey....quien sabes?
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:50 am

Have to admit I found the semi final flat, and at times a little irritating if I'm honest. I usually scribble a few words in my Strictly notepad during the dances, and for Emma's opening cha cha, I'd written 'lacklustre, hesitant, clunky'. After Motsi described the same cha cha as 'absolutely amazing' and CRH called it an 'exceptional performance'  I just closed my notebook in frustration. Sorry if I sound like a party pooper, but I think I've had too many sour grapes to enjoy the closing stages of this years Strictly. I didn't bother with the results show - just fast forwarded to hear Chris's speech which I thought was lovely. He's been a joy to watch, and my favourite interviewee on ITT - and Karen has moved onto my afor bench.

Maybe it was just me being sulky, but the semi final felt like it dragged on a bit, and the judges' antics were getting on my wick (oh goodness, I even miss L.en) - I hope there's some changes made to the panel for next year. I like Tango's idea of a complete overhaul.  

Now that they've already shown the judges' analysis of strengths and weaknesses, the pro partners' speeches, and public vox pops...it makes me wonder what they're going to use as filler for the actual final (and especially as the couples choices VT's have already covered the sentimental family stuff). I guess we'll find out soon enough -I say this every year, but can't believe we've reached the final already.

Anyhow, apologies for being an old grump, I promise to cheer up for the final. It'll be interesting to watch it with absolutely no preferred winner in mind. I've an inkling I might end up voting for Karim, as he seems to be the underdog now.

ps one last grump...I detest those see-through black shirts which the men wear for the paso. Wasn't a good look for Kelvin imo.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:21 am

I was all set up to write this on Sunday afternoon when my notifications on my computer came up with a ping, reminding me I had to dash into town for a concert I’d forgotten about! (It was very good.) I only got back just before the results show started so there was no way I was going to wait until I’d written this till I watched it. Ah well, A just result I think, and I suspect so does everyone else as well.  Chris has had a big following over the weeks. I wonder who his votes will go to now.

So – on to the Saturday night show. As always on semi final shows they showed loads of messages of support for each of the contestants. All of course organised as filler so that quick changes could be done. The same with the judges' conferences.

1st Dances

Emma and A’nton -  Cha Cha Cha
Is she actually becoming quite charismatic, or is A’nton getting good at hiding his light under a bushel? I didn’t really notice him at all. Yes there were a few balance issues and not much hip action, but I thought there was loads of leg action but what do I know. She does have an excellent long set of pins doesn’t she, and she moves them well these days. She’s very bright eyed and bushy tailed now.  8.

Kelvin and Oti – Quickstep
Loved Oti’s dress. It was an excellent performance but I wasn’t overwhelmed by it. It did seem a little heavy at points. Was it worth 40? I’m not sure. 9.9999.

Chris and Karen - Viennese Waltz
Oh dear, even I could spot the mistakes but they still kept the dance going. Good for them. Karen worried me a little tonight. She seemed very down.  Was she feeling the end of their journ3y coming up, or was she going “method” for the upcoming Rumba?   6

Karim and Amy – Argentine Tango
Much, much better than I’ve enjoyed them previously. Mostly initially because they actually danced with each other rather than him dancing beside her. He still had to have his couple of points where he did something on his own and Amy was left standing – waiting for him.  I didn’t think he was quite strong enough for some of it. Sometimes when Amy was leaning against him, it looked as if it was a bit of a struggle for him to hold her up.  9.

2nd Dances

Emma and A’nton -  Waltz
Very, very classy indeed – all the way through to and including the bow at the end. I’m afraid I have no idea about the heel or toe leads. I tend to just watch the person dancing as a whole. A definite 9.5.

Kelvin and Oti - Paso Doble
I absolutely adored this dance. It was so strong and shapely – everything in my mind that a Paso should be.  Tremendous poise & story telling from the pair of them. The dance was so good that the loss of balance on the very last step was almost tragic.  9.5.

Chris and Karen – Rumba
Well probably rubbish technically, but for me this was easily the dance that I enjoyed most this evening. They put their hearts and souls into it. Karen moved beautifully, of course, in a glorious gown and bare feet, and Chris seemed to be right there with her. They quite unexpectedly really went for the true emotion of the piece. I don’t know about Chris but I’m sure that Karen was crying, not just screwing up her face, which made the performance all the greater in my eyes. 6 for technique, 10 for emotion/ acting.

Karim and Amy – American Smooth
A beautiful dance. It was lovely to watch him. By far the best I’ve seen him do. AND THEY DANCED AS A PAIR which I loved. Yes the lift wobbled which was a shame, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. 9.6.

Comments? As I said, I wondered about Karen’s mood. Was she genuinely sad or trying to maintain the mood for the Rumba.  And will someone please tell Motsi that you don’t give 10s for imperfect dances. She lashes them out right left and centre! It’s just encouraging Br’uno as well. He’s liable to whip the 10 paddle out at the drop of a hat as it is. I’m glad that C’raig still holds back before awarding one. That always used to be the case for the judges and I wish it still was.

So onto the Results Show.

I thoroughly enjoyed the opening number with Carlos Acosta as Don Jose and Katya as Carmen. As she danced again later in the show, I did wonder who’s choice she was. Did the producers or Carlos choose Katya to perform as Carmen. I’m sure he had a voice in the matter.

When Claud introduced the singer Niall Horan, Mrs Twirlie and I looked at each other and chorused “who?” The best thing about this number was Katya and Gorka. My goodnes they were good. That slow somersault she did pivoting over his arm was so beautiful and impressive. The Pros are all wonderful dancers, but undoubtedly Katya is one of my favourites. They did the number together beautifully.

I should also add that I've become very fond of Karen too. Her attitude and teaching is what attracts her to me, and I think her new look as well. Her partnership with Chris has been one of the highlights of this year.

I enjoyed the little Judges’ compilation although I would have liked to see Motsi’s reaction to Kelvin’s Rumba again “Come on, come on, that’s my sister. Stop it.”

So Kelvin and Emma have got right through the show without ever having to take part in a Dance Off. They must have quite a following. If they’ve got right through and Karim’s been in two Dance Offs. Who’s been getting the most votes and how many fewer votes is he getting than them? Even if Emma and Kelvin are generally getting the most votes, everything is up for grabs in the Final, and that usually means the Showdance. A good/ great Showdance can seal a win. A rubbish one can let that win slip through your fingers. We’ll see.

Now to read everyone else’s views.

Last edited by Twirlie on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:03 am; edited 3 times in total
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next