Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

+7
Moova 12
CaledonianCraig
fiftynotout
mauveangel09
diamondsandpearls
TANGOLERO
B4p
11 posters

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  B4p Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:27 am

Nothing much to add, other than I'm looking forward to finding out which dances the three will be doing in the final. I expect Emma will depart first unless she can really pull something out of the bag on the day.

I actually felt a bit sorry for Karim this week. Twice near the top of the leader board, and twice in the dance off. It really semed to hit him this week that he didn't have the public vote despite dancing his socks off.

I guess it will be down to the cleverness of the choreography. I think Oti's out front in that department, although I've noticed one or two Katya moves have been incorporated into her routines.

Speaking of Katya - did you see that slow back flip type move when she was dancing with Gorka? She must have a core of steel.

Can't wait to hear the music choices? Do they get to choose their own showdance music does anyone know?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  B4p Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:58 am

Twirlie wrote:

Emma and A’nton -  Waltz
Very, very classy indeed – all the way through to and including the bow at the end. I’m afraid I have no idea about the heel or toe leads. I tend to just watch the person dancing as a whole.

Comments? will someone please tell Motsi that you don’t give 10s for imperfect dances. She lashes them out right left and centre! It’s just encouraging Br’uno as well. He’s liable to whip the 10 paddle out at the drop of a hat as it is. I’m glad that C’raig still holds back before awarding one. That always used to be the case for the judges and I wish it still was.

I thoroughly enjoyed the opening number with Carlos Acosta as Don Jose and Katya as Carmen. As she danced again later in the show, I did wonder who’s choice she was. Did the producers or Carlos choose Katya to perform as Carmen. I’m sure he had a voice in the matter.

When Claud introduced the singer Niall Horan, Mrs Twirlie and I looked at each other and chorused “who?” The best thing about this number was Katya and Gorka. My goodnes they were good. That slow somersault she did pivoting over his arm was so beautiful and impressive. The Pros are all wonderful dancers, but undoubtedly Katya is one of my favourites. They did the number together beautifully.

I agree with a lot of your points Twirlie
regarding the heels and toes - there's no heel leads in Latin (which Karim seemed to have a long run of) and after over 3 months of dancing 10-12 hours a day, one to one with a pro. they all should have learned that very basic rule. They are a particular feature of ballroom and help the rise and fall, and swing and sway, so they are important, and at this late stage, I would have expected 'Shirl the girl' to mark accordingly. The Foxtrot is a minefield of them. I still remember learning the start of a Foxtrot when I was about 7, and the teacher shouting 'slow, slow, quick, quick, slow, together (heels), toe, heel, right toe cross left etc. The characteristic waltz starts low on a heel, then goes up into 2 toes. One thing that hasn't had much of a mention this year is hand and finger placements. Michelle had lovely hand positions. Amy's hands and fingers are always beautiful. Kelvin had spade hands until halfway through, but this wasn't mentioned. Karim has had some lovely arm placements. Chris always looked like his arms were being used for traffic duty. Why no mention from the judges?

I also thought Gorka & Katya did a great dance. I didn't enjoy the one Karen and Gio did the week before. There's was a lift-fest, and just seemed like 'spot the lift we're doing now' to me.

Niall Horan is an Irish songwriter and the lead singer with One Direction. He's just done a new solo album. One Direction's music has been used on Strictly in the past with good effect.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:07 am

How lovely to read all of your comments from the other side of the world, I almost feel as if I was there. Right result I guess.

K squared were always a given for the final but I can’t help thinking that Saffron or Michelle (or even Dev) would have been more interesting finalists than Emma. I suspect beefy K will win but the gbp are usually fickle so and so’s (as we may find out on Thursday) so maybe there will be a surprise after all.

Enjoy....
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:45 pm

jingle wrote:

ps one last grump...I detest those see-through black shirts which the men wear for the paso. Wasn't a good look for Kelvin imo.

I think it's because of folk like Tess panting on about male dancers showing their "guns" and being "hot". In any decent six-gun Western they'd have been run out of town for even thinking about see-through shirts (except for the bullet holes of course) , and anyone accused of being "hot" would have a short trip to the nearest horse trough.......Matadors wear "suits of lights "not Tombstone black........ lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:44 pm

jingle wrote:Have to admit I found the semi final flat, and at times a little irritating if I'm honest. I usually scribble a few words in my Strictly notepad during the dances, and for Emma's opening cha cha, I'd written 'lacklustre, hesitant, clunky'. After Motsi described the same cha cha as 'absolutely amazing' and CRH called it an 'exceptional performance'  I just closed my notebook in frustration. Sorry if I sound like a party pooper, but I think I've had too many sour grapes to enjoy the closing stages of this years Strictly. I didn't bother with the results show - just fast forwarded to hear Chris's speech which I thought was lovely. He's been a joy to watch, and my favourite interviewee on ITT - and Karen has moved onto my afor bench.

Maybe it was just me being sulky, but the semi final felt like it dragged on a bit, and the judges' antics were getting on my wick (oh goodness, I even miss L.en) - I hope there's some changes made to the panel for next year. I like Tango's idea of a complete overhaul.  

Now that they've already shown the judges' analysis of strengths and weaknesses, the pro partners' speeches, and public vox pops...it makes me wonder what they're going to use as filler for the actual final (and especially as the couples choices VT's have already covered the sentimental family stuff). I guess we'll find out soon enough -I say this every year, but can't believe we've reached the final already.

Anyhow, apologies for being an old grump, I promise to cheer up for the final. It'll be interesting to watch it with absolutely no preferred winner in mind. I've an inkling I might end up voting for Karim, as he seems to be the underdog now.

ps one last grump...I detest those see-through black shirts which the men wear for the paso. Wasn't a good look for Kelvin imo.

Jingle, you have saved me writing my usual reams because what you have written entirely echos my thoughts. Like you, once they had overmarked Emma's stumbly, hip-action free, straight-leg free cha cha cha, I stuck my bottom lip out and folded my arms very crossly indeed and couldn't enjoy the rest of the show. I did post on social media that I couldn't believe that either of Chris's dances could be in any worse than that, and indeed, they weren't but they were marked much lower. And I actually enjoyed his Rumba - who would have thought?! It had a sweet sadness to it and I thought he emoted and acted rather well. And I think Karen's dress was the Rumba outfit of the series. (Less so Chris' sparkly Hawaiian shirt...)

On that note, the female frocks were mostly a delight, I must say...

Agree entirely with the nippletastisic see-through shirt of Kelvin's - oh my eyes!

My friend and I have cancelled our usual Strictly Final party night as we are both so uninvested in any of them now that we really don't care who wins and think it unlikely we will be watching the final (yes, we're THAT grumpy!).

I was at work until late but caught up with the results show when I came back, and I had a feeling Karim would be in the bottom two. I had hope Emma would be with him, so that we would lose her and actually have someone in the final I have some pleasure in watching, fully accomplished dancer though he isn't. But sadly the 'Get Housewives choice into the Final' Campaign worked, and here he is... Rolling Eyes

The ballet dancer chappy was great, but didn't enjoy the pros writing around him so much. However, I was gobsmacked by how entertained and taken I was with Niall Horan - probably the only act I've enjoyed on the results show this series (and who'd have thought that - me liking an ex One Direction member!!)

Caught Chris and Karen on ITT today and like Alex, he was gracious and charming and grateful. And yes, Karen has improved somewhat with this lovely partnership - and with her new haircut...

I also noted on ITT that Darren and Lilja both mentioned that Dev, Catherine and Michelle had gone too early. Not saying anything!!!

Really hope next series is a good one and that those with true potential (see above) don't get knocked out so early. If not, that new producer really needs to be given her P45.

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:21 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

I had hope Emma would be with him, so that we would lose her and actually have someone in the final I have some pleasure in watching, fully accomplished dancer though he isn't. But sadly the 'Get Housewives choice into the Final' Campaign worked, and here he is... Rolling Eyes

Gosh Diamonds - you really don't like her do you? lol! lol! lol!

I couldn't in all honesty compare Chris's dances to Emmas - I actually quite liked his Viennese Waltz despite all the mistakes but the rumba was just - well something beyond Chris - although he gave it his best shot and Karen's costume was fab - we can agree on that!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:00 am

Don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere else, but Natalie Lowe has had a baby boy called Jack James, 8lbs 8. Seems her Christmas present came early. Some good news to lift the mood?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:16 am

mauveangel09 wrote:

Gosh Diamonds - you really don't like her do you? lol! lol! lol!

I couldn't in all honesty compare Chris's dances to Emmas -  I actually quite liked his Viennese Waltz despite all the mistakes but the rumba was just - well something beyond Chris - although he gave it his best shot and Karen's costume was fab - we can agree on that!

I don't actively dislike her, though I don't actively warm to her either (she's a bit... strange). It's mainly that she is blatantly being shoe-horned into the last spot in the final, and thus her lack of heel leads in her Waltz and her stumbly bumbly cha cha were turned a blind eye to by the judges.

It's A nton I genuinely dislike. Ive never been a fan anyway, but I have long been totally agin him for not taking it seriously enough or really challenging and develping his partners. In comparison to someone like Natalie (and yes, congrats for getting that huge baby out of your teeny tiny bump) I have never found him an effective teacher (Emma is still not being taught the latin well at all, and I would question that if she does pivots on her toes at this stage that she is having ballroom drummed into effectively...). And therefore all the adoration annoys me as it is misplaced. And no, I don't find funny or charming in the slightest.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Oh dear! I feel a bit like that with Kevin if truth be told.
I liked A.nton during the Erin years, and it was always pure joy to get an A.ton/Erin ballroom on the results show (ditto getting a Vincent/Flavia tango). But personally I went off him a bit after Erin left and he was given the comedy-with-duffers role.   Anyhow, worry not Diamonds -I've a strong suspicion that this may be A.nton's final year on the show, I guess time will tell.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Like Canute facing the savage tide, I bravely step forth to confront the onrushing ocean of conflicting opinion.. Very Happy

A little bit worrying is this current puzzling dislike of A nton du Beck. He's been a Strictly rock for years despite being given a succession of less than Eleanor Parker/Cyd Charisse, Rita Hayworth and Ginger Rogers partners.The perfect gent,a terrific natural ballroom dancer and, for me, dances like a man ( the slings and arrows prepare for battle Twisted Evil ) and not an ass-wiggling model from the Hot-lips Arlene /Twirly Shirley manual of Latin sex symbols for a mid-life crisis. I've always been a fan (and several times a student) of Spanish and Flamenco dance and lover of the tango, so maybe my tastes in the main are more leaning to the macho-dramatico tuxedos than the bogo-pogo ( yes, I know) feather boa balletico. More Sangria than Pina-colada if you will.

Anyway....age, as it has from time immemorial, will eventually decide all our sell-by dates, and in that, A nton has his most relevant fate decider. The Bubble Co will use him as long as the He is. And we obey him. rack up, be he Carlos Acosta or Rudolf Valentino, and A nton has a lot of female support going right now. Take my advice, replace Tess with him as show host and bring in a whole new panel of judges and Strictly will be ballroom once again. Sorry girls, chap power and all that, but unless you want an X Factor dance show with a Julian Clary/ Judge Rinder orchestrator , that's where you're heading. ... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:29 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Take my advice, replace Tess with him as show host and bring in a whole new panel of judges and Strictly will be ballroom once again.  

Oh I absolutely agree there Tango, I'm beginning to feel the show could do with a complete overhaul - replacing T.ess (no preference for male/female, just someone good), replace judges and whoever chooses the music, change the themes, axe the sentimental VTs and references to nans, put more focus on ballroom, more gorgeous outfits and less panda costumes....in fact, the only things I'd preserve are C.laudia and Blackpool.

I suppose it comes down to the perennial debate about entertainment versus dance, and I'm firmly with the latter whereas the show seems to be going further and further down the light entertainment route. I guess as long as the ratings stay healthy then the Beeb will be happy to keep going in that direction.

Anyhow, sorry (once again) for sounding grumpy!
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:53 pm

On a different subject, just watched the snippets of showdance training on ITT. Kelvin's looks very ambitious - Zoe mentioned a medley of jive/lindy hop/charleston and 3 (?I think) other styles. If he can pull it off it sounds great.  Emma's razzle dazzle theme should also be a crowd pleaser, especially if the cane work goes to plan. Just from personal taste, out of the three of them I preferred the look of Karims contemporary showdance (although as I'd said in the 'favourite dance' thread, the public didn't vote for his contemporary earlier in the series).

I'm quite bemused by the judges' choice dances scratch    I always thought they chose a routine which contestants could improve on, but that's obviously not been the main criteria here. Why has Emma been given a dance she performed only a fortnight ago and which is reliant on backing dancers?  scratch  I can't remember Kelvin's rumba or Karim's quickstep tbh.

Now I'm itching to know what each of the couples have chosen as their favourites!

One last thought - is my memory wrong or have we really only had two argentine tangos this year?
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:48 pm

I agree that the show is going downhill somewhat, I just don't agree with some of the replacements. I'd keep Tess. She and Claud are just too good together in my opinion, though I know a lot of people don't like her. I'm afraid that any man who came in to replace her would keep trying to stamp on Claud's personality. Male ego and all that. Anyone who came in to replace Tess would have to be willing to be Claudia's straight man. However on the other hand there's one couple who are obviously mates who do need to be split up. Motsi and Shirley are just becoming too embarrassing for words. It's turning more and more into a laddettes' Saturday night hen party. Motsi's Bim Bam Boom is becoming too irritating for words. She really doesn't have any constructive criticism to give, she just raves. And the pair of them on their feet screaming and squealing at the end of most of the dances is rubbish. Even C'raig's comments are milder than they used to be. Even when he edges towards eviscerating someone, he always ends it wiith a nice comment to sugar the pill. Changed days. Even B'runo used to mostly sit when giving his comments. These days he finds it impossible to do so without standing and waving his arms wildly about. It's becoming tedious. (And get Rylan out of ITT.)
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:43 am

Twirlie wrote:However on the other hand there's one couple who are obviously mates who do need to be split up. Motsi and Shirley are just becoming too embarrassing for words. It's turning more and more into a laddettes' Saturday night hen party. Motsi's Bim Bam Boom is becoming too irritating for words. She really doesn't have any constructive criticism to give, she just raves. And the pair of them on their feet screaming and squealing at the end of most of the dances is rubbish.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree with this Twirlie. I liked Motsi's approach in the first couple of shows, but her critiques have become non existent or incomprehensible, and the combination of her with Shirley is just far too manic. I find myself yearning for the elegance and gravitas of the early days of Strictly, even though that probably doesn't bring in such a diverse audience.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Depsite my epic grumpiness this series, there's not a HUGE amount I would change.

I would keep all the current presenters and judges (Motsi and Shirley are not quite annoying enough for me yet to send them to the Tower - they get a second chance). I will defend Tess and her wonderful oven-ready baco-foil dresses with my dying breath (and Twirlie is spot on about her being required to be Clauds, erm, foil...)

I would ditch: Hallowe'en, Couples Choice and any Rig-athons (seems like they might have forgotten that already anyway). Halloween would be replaced by a different theme each year (the 80's would be banned though - sorry). No themes outside of the specified theme weeks. Themes must always stick to music and clothes which fit the dance. No pandas, wooden puppets or oom pa pa on the table with a pair of tankards. (Or very strange Stranger Things thingies)

Benches, doors and lamposts would be limited to one of each per season.

The pros have full say over music choice and choreographical content. Jason Gilkison shall only ever choreograph the pro n umbers

I would return to the first two weeks being a rota of the cha cha cha and the Waltz (ie half the couples do one, half the couples do another and swap over the following week).

The dance-off would be the couples dancing the same dance so there is a direct comparison (as they have in some other countries).

Beautiful, gorgeous, glamourous and blinging dresses will be worn at ALL times. The budget will be increased to accommodate this. (They can take it out of the allowance allocated to Shirley and Motsi). I will be consulted by Vicky Gill and will get the all-but-final say (that will go to the pro and they can only make adjustments at that stage based on practicality).

Strong glue will be spread all over B runo's chair.

No backing dancers except at Blackpool, and only if it genuinely enhances the dance and not distracts from it.

No Nans until Blackpool (or small children, beautiful adoring partners, cute pets or scrimping parents)

The producer will consult here before proceeding with anything not previously agreed. There will be no scripted jurn knees

THE VOTING RESULTS WILL BE MADE PUBLIC - or else we have Diamond's Patented Format (where it is all done on aggregate scoring (just like on B4p's score keeping thread but judges scores combined with public's vote) until the week before the quarter final and then the top however many it is go through to the quarter final. Nobody goes out before then, no dance offs, no dodgy judge's decisions).

So just minor little tweaks here and there... Wink Wink
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:37 pm

jingle wrote:Oh dear! I feel a bit like that with Kevin if truth be told.

Yes I'm with you there. I did warm to him a bit this year but have to say (with no malice) that it has been quite refreshing this year not to have him dominating things - in fact one of the better things about this year has been that a few different pros have had a chance to slug it out during the last bit of the competition - such as Amy of course and also Neill and Karen. Kevin, Giovanni and Katya seem to have dominated a bit the last few years - not that I'm complaining about Gio and Katya. Its always good to see Oti up there and I'm more than happy to see A nton in the final - I think they thoroughly deserve to be there and I have warmed a lot to Emma from what I thought initially.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:55 pm

jingle wrote:

I'm quite bemused by the judges' choice dances scratch    I always thought they chose a routine which contestants could improve on, but that's obviously not been the main criteria here. Why has Emma been given a dance she performed only a fortnight ago and which is reliant on backing dancers?  scratch  I can't remember Kelvin's rumba or Karim's quickstep tbh.

One last thought - is my memory wrong or have we really only had two argentine tangos this year?

I'm bemused about that judges choice dance as well????? confused confused  You are right - it is traditionally a dance from much earlier in the series and something on which they can improve - not something that scored '10' a few weeks ago!!!   How did that happen?     I always feel it is also enjoyable to see some of the earlier dances again.   I thought they would have given them their 'Send in the Clowns' Viennese Waltz - unless they have chosen that as a favourite?

Yes Jingle - we have have only had two Argentine Tangos! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad    I think it is such a popular dance but it seems they've almost phased it out.   I used to love it when all the couples had to learn it for the semi final - real highlight of the series.   The series may have had less razzamatazz in the earlier years but the standard was higher quite honestly.

I agree about Motsi and Shirley - in a way their dynamic is quite good but Motsi is so over the top that they seem to egg each other on and you are all right - she doesn't give any critique really and has been the one guilty of throwing out the '10's too early and too often.    For me B runo has been better this year and has provided a balance between CRH at one end of the scale and Motsi at the other end.  I find Shirley not reliable and too inconsistent - she still hasn't found out 'who she is' in respect of her position on the panel in my book and it was a bit silly to start being all technical last week - she should have gone into that mode weeks ago instead of 'enabling' the over marking and gushing.       My favourite judge is still CRH - even though he can be too mean sometimes and sometimes give inexplicable scores -  at least he gives realistic scores - hallelujah and keeps things in check.  Long may it reign.

My big bug bear like many of you is the standing ovations from the judges...……...most inappropriate...……..stop it please!!!

Lastly -  I think it would be a good idea to do what they do on DOI where the scores go up first and then the judges give their critiques where they have to explain the scores - it would be much more interesting.

All though I wouldn't want sweeping changes on the show I feel some aspects could do with a refresh - like theme nights for example and for us to actually see more of a variety of dances -  this year seems to have been heavy on Charleston, Jive and Samba for some reason.    I kind of feel that in some ways the show is giving us what we 'ought to like' rather than what we do like!  For example -  People don't like the endless '10's -  I've seen this a lot on other social media sites and nor do they like the weepy VTs - so I feel the production team are on a dangerous road actually...…………….

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:53 pm

"They had the time, the time of their life, I saw a man who danced with his wife"......in Chicago etc.

What "seems" to be happening with Strictly is this, the times, as Mr Dylan warned, were a changing:

The word experience used to mean serving a considerable amount of time learning a "trade" (an apprentice-ship if you will). It also meant that the stated "trade"had some very firm and fixed rules and regs put together by experienced professionals over a fair period of time.This was called the "Rule Book" and those choosing not to follow such would not last very long. If the book said "No lifts" that's what it meant and woe betide any Peter Pan and Wendys who got carried away and took flight.

Along comes modernity complete with a whole new alphabet of "contemporary, burn the floor, whiz-bang, please-yourself, tuck your bum in Sherlocks using terms like "spade-hands, aeroplane arms "(who can help what shape their hands are unless they pass the Eurovision hand template check ? You cant be a dancer because you're pigeon -toed) etc, and a whole new era was born, healthily promoted it must be said by the Twirly King of swivel, who shall remain nameless.

Believe it or not, the film "Strictly Ballroom" and to some effect "Dirty Dancing, promoted the "new moves" rebellion against the Association doyens who were made to appear ancient , stuffy and outdated by a young, self-important rebel without a clue seeking dance immortality. In effect, nothing wrong with seeking your own style (That's how Astaire, Kaye, Kelly and co came to fame, even how rock and roll, jive, Lindy-Hop began) but for association dancing like ballroom, rules is rules but, in the stated films cases,Tuxedo Junction and its apostles were made to appear the above stated "stuffy and boring) (Hey, I was a Palais rock and roll rebel as well as loving ballroom back in the golden era).

So, like it or no, 2020 is very likely to see the end of the most magnificent 100 years of music and dance as ever was.

(Tomatoes are on sale by the door but, in the interests of health and safety, please remove from the cans before throwing!) ..Play it maestro.... lol!

TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:24 am

Well tonight is finals night. We will all have our own preferred champions for differing reasons and views and we all will see it different ways.

In my opinion the champion is certainly going to be Kelvin Fletcher. He has the biggest fan base and has never been in the dance-off which speaks volumes for his popularity. I will have no problem with him winning but he has not been on that J word for me. A worthy champion talent-wise but not the sort of champion that fills me with joy.

Karim Zeroual evidently is not quite so popular as, despite being drooled over by the judges and ludicrously being likened to Gene Kelly, he has still ended up in two dance-offs in the last few weeks. I cannot see how he reverses that trend with the public. As for the J word well he most definitely came into the competition as the most accomplished dancer. A win for him would, again be deserved talent-wise but leave me cold as he has not done too much in the way of blossoming into a dancer as he was already so good.

Emma Barton is a level below the other finalists as far as all-round dance talent goes. She is great in a lot of areas but weak in latin for me. I'd be delighted though if she could win as she has improved a lot in the last few weeks. She has become more relaxed, confident and expressive. Also (unlike many on this forum) I am a fan of An.ton so it would be great to see him at last win the glitterball. I cannot see it happening though.

I will watch with my usual sense of enthusiasm and anticipation but this series has lacked enough couples I've really invested in and certain judges have really annoyed me with their girly reactions and pant wetting over certain male celebs. That has to be addressed. I do agree with mauve - good on CRH. Yes he can offer too low scores and be mean-spirited but also his remarks are the most cutting and accurate. If he spots errors he says so and only gives maximum marks for the faultless dances - that is how it should be. His reward for the way he is? He gets heckled and harrassed by less well-balanced judges and less well-informed people such as T.ess and the audience.

Rant over. Enjoy the final everyone.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:58 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well tonight is finals night. We will all have our own preferred champions for differing reasons and views and we all will see it different ways.

I quite agree CC.

Personally, I'd be disappointed if Karim won. He's probably the most talented of the dancers but came in at the same level as he is now. There's been no real j'ourney for him and no improvement, just a consistent high level of the Syliva Young Stage School graduate who has also appeared in musical theatre.  His proficiency is to be expected.

Kelvin I would like to win. I feel that, although he's also had some drama education, it has been in straight drama rather than musical theatre. I suspect his facility for movement comes from his acting and physical sports background. I know sportsmen/women are often stiff, and can't move well, but Mark Ramprakash and Matt Dawson proved the exception to the rule, and I think Kelvin does as well. I suspect that no one was as surprised at his abilities as Kelvin was. Oti was certainly getting a complete unknown quantity. Though they burst into the competition with their Samba, there have been times when he hasn't performed as well and has had to work to get back to the top of his game. I feel he has made a j'ourney of sorts to get to the final.

As for Emma and A'nton, well they definitely have had a j'ourney. Emma was near the bottom several times and her scores have mostly been in the middle to low twenties. Until the Viennese Waltz it seemed it was only time before she was voted out. Even after that, her 22 for the Rumba seemed to guarantee her appearance in the dance off. This, I feel, suggests that her popularity with the GBP is even greater than Kelvin and Karim's. She must stand a good chance tomorrow night as well. She can't be written off. Also, I do feel that much of her popularity is attached to A'nton. He has done well this year with several 10s and I wonder if the GBP have decided that after 17 series, this is his year.

Finally, where will Chris's votes go?

As always of course, it depends on the mood of the evening. How do the public feel about the dances that have been chosen to be repeated, and how is the show dance received? The show dance is most important as always. Lively show dances have most often been winners, but Caroline Flack showed that the opposite is possible. So how will that go? Emma and Kelvin seem to be doing lively n umbers, Karim - the dancer who most often has ants in his pants, seems to be attempting something softer. We'll see tomorrow night

Enjoy everyone.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 20 Empty RE: SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Twirlie wrote:

I quite agree CC.

Personally, I'd be disappointed if Karim won. He's probably the most talented of the dancers but came in at the same level as he is now. There's been no real j'ourney for him and no improvement, just a consistent high level of the Syliva Young Stage School graduate who has also appeared in musical theatre.  His proficiency is to be expected.

Kelvin I would like to win. I feel that, although he's also had some drama education, it has been in straight drama rather than musical theatre. I suspect his facility for movement comes from his acting and physical sports background. I know sportsmen/women are often stiff, and can't move well, but Mark Ramprakash and Matt Dawson proved the exception to the rule, and I think Kelvin does as well. I suspect that no one was as surprised at his abilities as Kelvin was. Oti was certainly getting a complete unknown quantity. Though they burst into the competition with their Samba, there have been times when he hasn't performed as well and has had to work to get back to the top of his game. I feel he has made a j'ourney of sorts to get to the final.

Enjoy everyone.

I totally agree Twirlie - nothing much to add - you've put it beautifully.
Kelvin played Andy in Emmerdale for so many years - since he was a kid - so didn't have much time to do musical theatre. He wasn't expecting to be in the series - so yes, I also feel he has had a bit of  J despite being an actor.

I don't think either of the two boys have convincingly cracked the gentler/slower ballroom dances for me and I guess their dances tonight reflect that - but only Caroline Flack pulled off a winning contemporary routine in the final - others haven't done it.    I would be delighted if Emma and A nton won but equally so with Kelvin who for me is the most consistent of the three.

Bring it on...………..Enjoy the show everyone!!! cheers cheers cheers

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:14 pm

Another pig's ear by the Bubble Bath Company.  Evil or Very Mad
Couldn't get through on the main site to vote, and the phones wouldn't connect for the first 10-15 minutes. I missed the first half of the final trying to get through to vote. I'll have to watch it again later to see the bits I missed. Bleeping annoying!
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Mrs Twirlie just looked across at me and wailed, "Now what are we going to do on Saturdays!"
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: SCD Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:08 pm

I voted on-line - mine worked ok. Well - a very enjoyable Finals Show I felt - thoroughly enjoyed it. To be honest I prefer 3 couples I think. I particularly enjoyed the pro n umbers which I felt were relatively free from gimmicks and had some great dancing. I loved the opening n umber and really liked Janette and Alijaz dancing to Taylor Swift. I felt the routine with all the celebs included was much much better than some we have seen in previous years but it also reminded me of how many people went out 'before their time' this year and how there could have been almost a 'parallel universe' contest...……. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Some of the expressions/exchanges captured in the Clauditorium were priceless!

It was a weird one for me because I actually thought that Karim did the best two dances of the night with his QS and Jive - and yet I voted for Kelvin because I enjoyed all his dances - his Showdance was phenomenal and the best by a long way and he had to dance two of the hardest dances in the final - Rumba and Samba - and I think he did well as he has done across the weeks.

Round 1 Judges Picks
Felt that Karim's dance was the best. A brilliant QS and he had taken the judges comments on board. I could see very little gapping. Emma did a fantastic confident Charleston - that routine was made for her. It was her best dance of the night for me. So nice to see E rin in the audience. Kelvin did a rumba - all credit to him - he tried to really use his hips. I think he didn't improve on the first time he performed it but did well - the vast majority of male celebs cannot do the rumba - let alone a credible version. It was still a bit staccato for me in parts and would have liked to have seen a smoother performance - although he did use his hips and legs well.

Round Two - Showdances
Kelvin and Oti easily won this round for me by a long way and blew me away. For me they won on this dance. I know that the judges always seem to like compilations that include bits of the different dances that they have learned along the way.This one fitted the bill admirably.

Karim and Amy's dance didn't really do it for me, (glad CRH picked up on the out of sync bit) but it showcased his strengths and I'm glad Shirley commended Amy - I think she probably learned a lot of new stuff this year as she is a traditional ballroom girl. I think they knew they didn't really have the viewer vote so (like many others before them) did what they wanted to do as a Showdance. I really liked A nton and Emma's Showdance - it was a great idea and I loved the set and the bit with the canes. I just thought that it could have been better and could have had more razzamatazz - felt she was a bit nervous and hesitant in parts. Couldn't help thinking about that brilliant Top Hat routine that Gio and Faye did last year - however, felt that Emma and A nton should have equalled Karim's score.

Round Three - Favourite Dances
Really loved Karim and Amy's Jive - in fact it was all the better for the fact that there were no backing dancers this time - a really memorable routine. Could have done without the blubbing which didn't do him any favours I thought!

Emma and A nton turned in a lovely Viennese Waltz. I felt that Kelvin and Oti suffered a bit from week one choreography in a dance that was very enjoyable, full of hips and latin moves and clearly bowled over the judges in all sorts of ways!!! Hard for a celeb male to dance as well as that. I loved his final speech too.

So a worthy winner for me - a good all rounder. Felt that brilliant though Karim was tonight in two of his dances - he never really stepped out of his comfort zone throughout the whole of the contest. I think Kelvin was challenged and rose to that challenge. Emma and A nton did some lovely dances and deserved to be in the final.

Two other observations tonight...……. I Didn't like Shirley and Motsi's outfits at all and Shirley seemed as though she had definitely been on the sherry lol! lol! lol!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:44 pm

I enjoyed tonight’s show. I voted for Kelvin. I was a bit concerned about the whole mix of all the dances but well done Oti you mixed them well.
Next year Shirley and Motsi need to tone it down. Motsi has a bit of an excuse as she thinks in German. Perhaps Shirley thinks in scouse but she is head judge. She has to be more impartial. She is the one who has to be the coolest and calmest. I dislike the whole ooooo he has big muscles or wiggly hips. It is demeaning.
Kelvin was light on his feet, could move, had excellent partnership skills and seemed a nice bloke.
The whole vibe of the group was excellent.
Seeing Dev made me think past went too early candidates series.
Dev, Aston Merrygold sprang to mind. Like a second chance.
Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next