Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

+7
Moova 12
CaledonianCraig
fiftynotout
mauveangel09
diamondsandpearls
TANGOLERO
B4p
11 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  Twirlie Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:10 pm

Aljaz and Jeanette's dance in tonight's Results Show, was one of the most thrilling I remember. Utterly breathtaking.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:17 pm

Well no surprises this year - no silly voting and no situation where someone doesn't get through on the first week because they are not high profile enough. I was so worried for Emma W for some reason - I just felt that as she isn't as high profile as some of the others and she was mid-table that she might drop into the DO - and when she was left until virtually the last, my fears seemed to be coming true. But in the event it was fair and the two people who should have been in the DO were there.

David did such a better performance on the second time round - It seemed as though he had really listened to CRH - James danced the exact same routine so it was quite clear cut to me.

I really enjoyed the Flamenco n umber but until the Flamenco chap appeared I thought it was a very West Side Story style of Flamenco - although Gorka and co were brilliant. Then I really enjoyed the last bit of the routine but I would have liked to have seen (and heard) more of the Flamenco chap.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:22 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

Despite this being a comments forum, I don't want to be drawn too deeply into judgement after a fortnight. The contestants probably had more time to polish the first week's dance than the seven days to learn the second and we do tend to imagine they're all natural Gene Kelly's and Cid Charissees and not just normal folk. Dancing was a bit second nature to my generation, but not so today. I'll hold back a bit ( fault finding is far easier then learning a foxtrot after all) till we see what we'll see. James and David do seem Room 101 candidates, but the G.B.P have a habit of making heroes of people with two left feet after all. Laughing        

I think you are right Tango. It's such early days. However, I think that there are some deserved comments of stupid music/themes/choreography (see mainly Katya) which are no fault of the contestants but land firmly at the door of the production dept or the pro dancers. I am very happy to judge the work of professionals who should know their stuff....

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Here you go mauve:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqBM-jMOBlo

Remarkable memories you two have CC and Mauve!

Like Dani's dress a lot more, though to be fair, as I posted elsewhere, Michelle's dress was very cleverly cut, and if they had kept the skirt matcching the fabric of the top half it would have beena great vw dress. But Michelle requested the insane tricolore skirt so...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:38 pm

B4p wrote:Enjoy the Results Show tonight Tango - the guest was made for you cheers

You're so right B4p, as soon as he appeared I said to the wife.."That's Faruquito surely, he's a professional flamenco dancer!" and then I just enjoyed it.... Laughing
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:39 pm

Twirlie wrote:Aljaz and Jeanette's dance in tonight's Results Show, was one of the most thrilling I remember. Utterly breathtaking.

Agree 100% Twirlie, I thought their routine was spellbinding and the highlight of the show for me. I'm usually not keen on so many acrobatic lifts, but somehow they managed to retain the emotion throughout the performance and the lifts felt like an integral part.  Brilliant, would love to see more from them.

I did sort of enjoy the opening pro dance, but if they're going to fly a world class flamenco dancer over from Spain I'd rather not have to search for him in the background.

A shame to see James leave, but at least he seemed to enjoy the dance-off. Ah dear, that's my pre-show favourite gone already.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:49 pm

If the Strictly contestants were all pro dancers, one would still be going home every week; that's the nature and format of the show, so Jame's shouldn't feel too bad about things. In fairness, he was way the worse dancer of two poor ones in the stomp off. That pancake routine was a real yucky mess and did him no favours at all. I did feel really sorry for him as I do for anybody who puts the desire to learn before fame, and I felt he did that. He's a big lad, he'll get over it. Dave James , unless he improves drastically, may soon be sharing a pint with him in the courtesy lounge. Wink

Yes, Aljaz and Janette were just superb; as man and wife they must get plenty practise time. Class act.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Twirlie wrote:Aljaz and Jeanette's dance in tonight's Results Show, was one of the most thrilling I remember. Utterly breathtaking.

I confess I fast forwarded through that - I came in 15 mins after the show started and I was whizzing through extraneous filler to catch up. I am the opposite of a fan of Lewis Capaldi (sounds like James Arthur whose Voice also has the same effect oon me f nails down the blackboard, but at least he got there first - there is no room for tw of them) and I get annoyed with the wafting of the dancers competing with the performer and vice versa, so I thought I was safe to forward through that.

I'll have another look (maybe with the sound muted...)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:01 pm

So, I just watched it...

Lewis' caterwauling I found very distracting (seems to be bemoaning the loss of a 'kirtle' - which I though went out of fashion in the 1600s...) so I wasn't always focused. But agree Aljaz and Janette are always very good together - they display their connection as a couple beautifully. It was a bit jerky for me, a bit too liftastic, but the contempowaft suited the soulful bewailing beautifully
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:16 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:So, I just watched it...

Lewis' caterwauling I found very distracting (seems to be bemoaning the loss of a 'kirtle' - which I though went out of fashion in the 1600s...) so I wasn't always focused. But agree Aljaz and Janette are always very good together - they display their connection as a couple beautifully. It was a bit jerky for me, a bit too liftastic, but the contempowaft suited the soulful bewailing beautifully

Before tonight I'd never heard of this Lewis fella. After tonight, I'll make every attempt to repeat that. I can blame age and having grown up amongst Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella and all the rest....thankfully. Truly awful. Evil or Very Mad
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:50 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

Before tonight I'd never heard of this Lewis fella. After tonight, I'll make every attempt to repeat that. I can blame age and having grown up amongst Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella and all the rest....thankfully. Truly awful. Evil or Very Mad

I'm sorry Mr T, you can't blame  your age, Sinatra, Dean Martin etc, etc, etc. You're only allowed to blame a truely awful performance.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:35 pm

Twirlie wrote:

I'm sorry Mr T, you can't blame  your age, Sinatra, Dean Martin etc, etc, etc. You're only allowed to blame a truely awful performance.

Agree 100% Twirlie. There are a plethora of current, young singers out there who have truly wonderful voices and musical ability that can match some of the old greats. Lewis just isn't one of them.

For example, Aljaz and Janette's contempowafting could have accompanied this in a stunning combination of voice and dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWMBG1Z0FuE
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:53 pm

Twirlie wrote:

Okay Twirlie, truly awful performance it is then..in spades... Twisted Evil
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:59 am

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Agree 100% Twirlie. There are a plethora of current, young singers out there who have truly wonderful voices and musical ability that can match some of the old greats. Lewis just isn't one of them.

For example, Aljaz and Janette's contempowafting could have accompanied this in a stunning combination of voice and dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWMBG1Z0FuE

I agree D&P. I thought this song was lovely, and it led me on, as YouTube often does, to another of her performances this time live, of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". Now I'm always wary of covers of great songs as they're usually far from as good as the original. This time though I thought that although she didn't improve on the original in any way, she provided an arrangement that gave a different and interesting alternative view of the song. Always worth hearing that sort of take, so long as it isn't destroying the song.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:07 am

Golly he was dire!
The show answered my movie week question and that couples choice is still in.
James I thought looked relieved to be out.
David to be fair did step it up.
Not keen on rumba at best of times but 2 next week Catherine and Alex. That will depend on film. Jay and Alina did a great rumba in context of the musical. Most I cringe.
Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:30 am

Well, well, well I think that was a Strictly first on the opening elimination week.

Both of the weakest dancers in the dance-off - well I'll be blown down. It had to be James to go as he was the weakest dancer by some way. I really felt sorry for him as he was really flung in at the deep end with Strictly and he sunk like a stone. All of the signs pointed to him having a massive struggle and that is why I was rooting for him pre-series. He came from a background that lacked artistry and creativity in his life and comes across as shy. Those are massive enough barriers to overcome but coupled with his head injury that has stinted his memory and ability to remember things like steps in a dance and he had no chance really. He looked mortified and uncomfortable under the spotlight and so it is probably a good thing his torture is over.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Twirlie wrote:

I agree D&P. I thought this song was lovely, and it led me on, as YouTube often does, to another of her performances this time live, of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". Now I'm always wary of covers of great songs as they're usually far from as good as the original. This time though I thought that although she didn't improve on the original in any way, she provided an arrangement that gave a different and interesting alternative view of the song. Always worth hearing that sort of take, so long as it isn't destroying the song.

*OFF TOPIC ALERT!*

I first heard the Orpheus song in a homeware shop in Clitheroe last week. I was so arrested by it that I asked the sales person if they knew what it was, and she provided me with the information. I re-played once home on youtube, and as you did Twirlie, fell into a rabbit hole of her performances. One of them was with Elton John, doing another one of her songs, 'Gravity', which he said he'd agreed to do (it was for a charity) as he was so taken and impressed with her rendition of 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'. I didn't realise, but she had a song a few years back which did quite well and was often on the radio - and I don't like it! (It's 'Love Song'.)

*Back on topic...*
I gave this song and artist as an example, because it is fresh in my mind, but it is just one of hundreds I could have chosen to illustrate that there is still beautifully crafted music and songs out there, sung by people with gorgeous voices (the woman from London Grammar who sings (one of the) themes to Peaky Blinders also springs to mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo80bXyEbkE ). It's just that Strictly so often chooses to go down the road of the mediocre at best, or downright awful caterwauling at worst.

(There are also artists who produce more upbeat songs too! I just had the Janette and Aljaz routine in my head, and the slower tempo, moodier atmosphere ones came to mind...)

And even when they choose a wonderful, classic artist like the divine Ella they choose a song of hers which is not very representative of her (not that that would be necessarily bad) and which doesn't fit the dance, whereas a more representative song of hers would have been just right.

I forgot how grumpy Strictly can make me! (Also, hard physical graft and too little sleep might be a contributing factor... Laughing )
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:05 pm

jingle wrote:

I did sort of enjoy the opening pro dance, but if they're going to fly a world class flamenco dancer over from Spain I'd rather not have to search for him in the background.

My thoughts exactly. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I did enjoy it and it was really good to see Flamenco showcased, but I really would have liked to have seen more him and for them to have used more evocative traditional music.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:59 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I did enjoy it and it was really good to see Flamenco showcased, but I really would have liked to have seen more him and for them to have used more evocative traditional music.

Couldn't have put it better. A glorious opportunity to highlight a great art and music by a top artist and they make him a backing dancer in the shadows, lost amongst the show dancers who, whilst were great, we see every week....The Bubble Bath Company can be very frustrating at times..but don't get me going... Evil or Very Mad
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi everyone,.I missed the launch show as I was away on long needed first holiday of year. I'm not sure who I like this year yet. Still absorbing new judge and comments. ITT not seen as forgot earlier and takes a few weeks for me to get into.

Loved Pamela Stephenson and I see shades of Deja Vue for this year. The height difference between Kevin & Anneka setting my teeth a little on edge but omg how lovely did she look in her dress Very Happy
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:04 pm

Good to see you back and well Sax. Wondered where you were.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:17 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Good to see you back and well Sax. Wondered where you were.

Good to see you all again. Hoping this year to be an exciting and close call re winner this year.
Weird seeing ITT diff time & channel!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:13 am

I see that Dev dropped Dianne Buswell on her head from eight feet up during practising a lift for their routine this week and she was taken to hospital feeling dazed and groggy. There are some doubts about whether they will dance tonight.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:13 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I see that Dev dropped Dianne Buswell on her head from eight feet up during practising a lift for their routine this week and she was taken to hospital feeling dazed and groggy. There are some doubts about whether they will dance tonight.

affraid affraid affraid

Hells bells I hope she's ok.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:30 pm

Ok 0 I'll go first...

I really expected to hate a themed show which had so many kiddy movie songs.

Well I did hate those... Karim and Amy in panda costume was just a WASTE. The furry, baggy onesies obscured the Samba that they were doing so it was very hard to see if it was good or not. I have no idea how the judges managed to beging to score what they couldn't see. Janette dressed as Pikachu/hornet/hazard warning tape was also everything I hate. Alex's Moana was more of a contempo-waft than a Rumba and was very disappointing

But in between the stormy downpours were little rays of sunshine. Dev and Dianne did an entertaining dance, despite Dev sweating off the blue body paint ('like Donna Summer left him out in the rain' as Monkseal said),  but Street  Dance it was not. It was totally Theatrical dance. I don't think it deserved the 9s. Ditto Kelvin was overscored. Again, I enjoyed the routine, but he was by no means perfect and a mixture of 8s and 9s would have been about right. Michelle did a very polished quickstep and her performance levels were on the money so I feel her scores were about right.

The person who was vastly underappreciated was Chris. Karen is not the best ballroom dancer/choreographer (she is to ballroom what A nton is to Latin) but that routine was gorgeous and they had easily the best outfits of the series so far. Although he has a way to go, Chris danced that routine - he took it seriously and tried hard. The were that ray of light which leads to a rainbow and I loved it. They got my ten for concept, music, attire - for being the whole package.

Aljaz and Emma's Foxtrot was also a really beautiful routine. I wish they had made her an Upstairs beauty so she could have had a beautiful beaded frock, but she did manage to look very elegant all the same. She does have a tendency to wear her shoulders high, but I saw a lovely heel turn and I am so chuffed with myself for noticing that I awarded them extra marks...

Johanne's Rumba choreography should be text book and required for all Strictly Rumbas to follow. Catherine hams the emotion up amazingly and this was a very touching routine. Like Shirley said, we all usually cringe whenever a Rumba is danced on strictly, peeking out from behind the sofa to see if it is safe to come out - but this was lovely.

Anneka was total bobbins. And yet... She looks so wonderful, has great energy and loves it all so much. I am very confused - I should want her to go home for being so useless, but I really, really don't...

David was a lot less useless then last week and than Anneka and I find him very endearing somehow and I find I want him to stay too.

Which leaves... Saffron, who tries hard but as she herself said, has a rubbish core, and that leaves her wobbling all over the shop. I find her a bit bland too. And Emma B, who seems to dance Latin very politely with her feet, whilst giving it her all from the neck up - all the 60s accents in that routine were courtesy of her face doing overtime. A nton's wig was no help at all (all the guff about C raig thinking A nton's teeth were false was very amusing, but not half as funny as Motsi who was all 'Are we still on the teeth? Ok - you were great, bye bye'). She needed to give the dance way more welly and energy. She's also a little vanilla...

So, in an ideal world, those are the two I want to be in the dance off, with Saffron to go.

But it's not an ideal world, is it?
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next