Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

+7
Twirlie
CaledonianCraig
jingle
Moova 12
mauveangel09
TANGOLERO
B4p
11 posters

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: 2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  Twirlie Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:02 am

Semi-Finals Week

I'm very late this week - sorry.

Fleur & Vito
Paso Doble
Enjoyable. It didn’t blow me away however and I thought the score of 35 was fair.
Charleston
I enjoyed this Charleston lot more than the Paso, though not quite as much as Hamza’s one. One aspect of this that I did like was that I felt is was like the films available of Josephine Baker dancing. There was a distinct similarity here which I felt which made it seem quite authentic. As I said, I thought Hamza’s was better and I thought one of the lifts didn’t go quite to plan, so I wouldn’t have scored it the same as his at 39.

Helen & Gorka
Waltz
It seemed a bit tame. Yes, C.raig there was a fair bit of gapping which L.en would have picked up on with a vengance. She seemed a bit unsteady at times as well. I thought anyway. I suppose 35 was fair.
Argentine Tango
Again I thought it was good, but not spectacular. She was unlucky with the dress catching on her heel. Again, 37 was a fair score.

Hamza & Joweta
Charleston
I absolutely loved this dance. I find this couple so exciting to watch. I couldn’t believe he was wearing a kilt – but he lives in Scotland, in the most remote, Westerly part of the UK mainland so it’s understandable I suppose. He certainly has the legs for a kilt! This was the dance of the night for me and personally I’d have given him the 40.
Waltz
Another beautiful dance. Smooth and clean. No gapping here. However it didn’t blow me away like his Charleston did. So 37 seemed like a fair score.

Molly & Carlos
American Smooth
Not the best American Smooth we’ve seen. It did seem to stop and start a bit and didn’t quite flow as it should have. The score was OK but A.nton – what’s he thinking? A 10? Nonsense.
Paso Doble
Strong and forceful with lots of great shaping. A much better effort than the American Smooth. She seemed to have limitless energy for this dance and was wholeheartedly committed to it. I thought she was great and deserved her score of 39.

Will & Nancy
Paso Doble
I thought this was a complete mess. His steps seemed all over the place with no commitment, almost mincing at some points (and not just when he was meant to be doing Flamenco steps). His cape work was pretty abominable, though I suspect he wasn’t helped by the wardrobe department. The material of that cape just wasn’t meant to fly. As to his score, I thought those 7s were the most honest scores from the judges for some time. 32 was very fair.
Couple’s Choice
I usually find something to like about a Couple’s Choice but – no nothing here. There was nothing I could grasp hold of and think, yes that’s attractive, or yes that’s exciting. It left me entirely cold. Am I too old to appreciate this kind of street dance? He certainly is. 38? Too much. He didn’t deserve any 10s for that.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well I’ve just watched the Results show and the DO. I have to say that I’m delighted that Will has gone. He was never my cup of tea. Plus I thought that Fleur upped her game for the DO. No signs of a problem with that lift this time. Of the final 4, my favourite is still Hamza, but I shan’t be too disappointed if any of them wins. (Though Helen would be my second choice after Hamza)
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: 2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:15 pm

So is Hamza, Helen, Molly or Fleur the best dancer left in the show, or the most popular personality wise with the judges or G.B.P? If the latter, what's a gap or two between friends, and if the former, is C.R.H a better judge than Housewives choice or Shirley?.(I would love to think impartiality figures, and I I leave Motsi out of any technical issues because she totally baffles me there and her dance knowledge is a bit more botafogo than promenade... (Funnily enough, I think it was she who came out with the most ( to me) relevant point about dancing to the music. That, after all, is what dance is about, not instruction manuals.

Can any of us then claim impartiality and why do I and my wife, who have been mainly in agreement so far, now have differences? (Sorry love, but thinking Hamza is "lovely" isn't the issue here, or Scottish hedgehogs---well neither is Helen's attractiveness or who has the nicest legs)...touche.

Sad to say, it's all about personal choice or, more to the point, who has the most online fans (even if some of them are only ten) and "isms" are as rampant as me agreeing with C.R.H. on Sticky-out -bottoms, or bottom lips really having much to do with dance. Then again, you know all this, so a definite winner based purely on dance is as rare as Hamza taking the lead in Riverdance, or C.R.H as the Sugar Plum Fairy. ...Dance on...Smile
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:39 pm

I think it's interesting to note that although the final is decided by public vote, they haven't always got it wrong. Obviously they did with Darren Gough in series 3 and with Chris Hollins in series 7 who were by no means the best dancers. Perhaps also with Bill Bailey, Stacey Dooley and Ore Oduba who didn't naturally stand out from the pack but who won anyway from a closely talented group. Other winners have pretty much deserved to win I reckon. When there is a closely talented group in the final, the public vote has tended to follow the celebrity's performance on the night. Often the performance has swayed the public vote. I'm thinking of Ore Oduba vs Danny Mac. I always thought Danny was the better dancer, but his Showdance was boring in the extreme while Ore's was full of excitement and the music well known to the public. I thought that was what finally swayed things in Ore's favour.

Last edited by Twirlie on Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty Re Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2022

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:40 pm

I do agree with you Twirlie about the title being decided on the night when the standard is so close. On paper it would appear that Hamza and Helen will be the front runners and Molly and Fleur won't keep up with them based on the voting over the weeks so far. However, as you point out, it often comes down to performances on the night, particularly the Showdances which can turn everything on its head as has happened a few times. I'm also guilty of changing my mind in the Final when I've thought I supported a couple but then just enjoyed what someone else has done on the night!

I too wasn't sad to see Will go. He was very good in the early weeks but just stood still from there for me. I have nothing against him but he just wasn't on my favourites list. I understand why he and Nancy looked so shocked as he had never been in a dance off and seemed to be getting the public votes - otherwise why would they have given him Couples Choice so late in the season? What I couldn't understand was Nancy's reaction, which apparently continued on to ITT (which I didn't watch) Sure it must be a disappointment not to make the Final at this stage when you were fully expecting to be there but at the end of the day she is a professional dancer on the show and she did get to the Final last year with Rhys, It's not really about her.

I was convinced it would be a Fleur versus Molly dance off so quite pleased at the result and I do think Fleur deserves her place. I know she has been up and down but for me she has delivered several of the stand out dances of the season and I feel she has had a lot more of a J than Molly. However, for me personally I want Helen to win but won't be sorry at all if it is Hamza.........However, as per the above, who knows??

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2022

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:44 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

Can any of us then claim impartiality and why do I and my wife, who have been mainly in agreement so far, now have differences? (Sorry love, but thinking Hamza is "lovely" isn't the issue here, or Scottish hedgehogs---well neither is Helen's attractiveness or who has the nicest legs)...touche.

I love this comment lol! lol! lol!  

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:37 am

Here are my thoughts on the semi-final all in one post.

The majority of the dances were of very good quality but the stand-out was Will's Paso - it was really below par by recent standards and put him on the back foot going into his second dance. His Couples' Choice though danced from the heart as a mix of songs he loved in his youth that does not always make for a great dance for the viewing public. After watching the semi it was clear to me on dances alone that Will was the weakest. I missed the results show due to work so it is only fair Will exited.

The final is very closely matched and anyone could win. For me it would be anyone but Molly who, as we all know, has had stage training a few years back so had a head start on the rest. As the public decide the winner then I predict Fleur will exit and The winner will be Hamza with second going to Helen and third going to Molly.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:00 am

There is a view that the show is dance v entertainment but I still believe that the best dancers get to the final (last year John, AJ, Rose - I rest my case). I also believe the gbp are a fickle old bunch who might have their favourites but will always vote for a wow performance on the night (Tom Chambers anyone?).

This year has been so close from the start, no obvious ringers and no obvious duffs/comedy acts.  They have all had something to offer and one by one they left, largely in the right order.  For me, I would have liked to see Richie stay a little longer and, dare I say it, I really enjoyed Tony’s j.ourney.  With his sports training and physical fitness he could have given the others a run for the money but he needed much more time (due to his age).  In the end, there wasn’t a lot to choose between the final eight dancers and that’s what makes it exciting.

The problem for me is that the show dances are just so drab.  Is it because we now have the Charleston and couples choice?  I don’t know.  Faye Tozer’s couples choice would have made an excellent show dance, as would Bill Bailey’s.

And my final gripe about the final.  After each dance (three each, twelve in total) Claud will ask all of the couples what it would mean for them to win, what they would like to say to their partner, how much have they valued support from friends and family, blah di blah di blah.  The same question asked multifarious different ways and, in the end, the answers will become empty and meaningless platitudes of nonsense.  She does it every year and every year I scream at her to shut up (I am a mild mannered middle aged woman so it takes a lot to rile me this much!).

Happy Christmas x
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

TANGOLERO, jingle and mauveangel09 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:51 am

Well said indeed Fifty. The Job of Compere (old-time Maser of Ceremonies ) has always been an art. People like You can call me Sir from now on Forsythe, Terry Wogan and in recent times, Bradley Walsh and a few more are/were always comfortable in front to an audience who they put at ease and thus ensure light-hearted enjoyment with. With every due respect, can this be said of Twitter and Flutter, the present Mistresses of mirth and mayhem who front the Beeb's flagship show? Victoria Woods, Lucy Worseleys or Cilla Blacks they surely ain't. Both appear as nervous as turkeys at a Christmas week auction. With no intention of criticising either, for they are working people, it can be said as an opinion in terms of personality, that neither are exactly Margaret Thatchers in party frocks. They are simply both in the wrong job. Exit stage left.. sunny
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2022

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:04 pm

fiftynotout wrote:There is a view that the show is dance v entertainment but I still believe that the best dancers get to the final (last year John, AJ, Rose - I rest my case). I also believe the gbp are a fickle old bunch who might have their favourites but will always vote for a wow performance on the night (Tom Chambers anyone?).

This year has been so close from the start, no obvious ringers and no obvious duffs/comedy acts.  They have all had something to offer and one by one they left, largely in the right order.  For me, I would have liked to see Richie stay a little longer

The problem for me is that the show dances are just so drab.  Is it because we now have the Charleston and couples choice?  I don’t know.  Faye Tozer’s couples choice would have made an excellent show dance, as would Bill Bailey’

Yes agree about the wow performances on the night - that's what makes the Final special

Definitely would have liked Richie in for longer - those dressing up box costumes did it for them!

Yes absolutely definitely the show dances have really lost their impact in recent years and the Final does seem a bit different now

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:44 am

Thought I’d take a look at last night’s ITT to catch up with all the finalists and help me pick a favourite. Well, after the Hamza interview he was my favourite. Then after the Helen interview I switched to her. Same following the Molly and Fleur interviews. I can honestly say I don’t mind who wins and I also have no idea who it will be. A couple of them said they felt like winners already, just by getting to the final, and I agree; they’re all winners.

Enjoy the show everyone ♥
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:16 am

fiftynotout wrote:Thought I’d take a look at last night’s ITT to catch up with all the finalists and help me pick a favourite.  Well, after the Hamza interview he was my favourite.  Then after the Helen interview I switched to her.  Same following the Molly and Fleur interviews.  I can honestly say I don’t mind who wins and I also have no idea who it will be.  A couple of them said they felt like winners already, just by getting to the final, and I agree; they’re all winners.

Enjoy the show everyone ♥

Purely, on popularity and that counts massively when the public vote decides things then it is between Hamza and Helen. Molly and Fleur have been in the dance-off multiple times even in weeks that they have put in stronger dances than Hamza and Helen. I think Molly may miss out on the showdance as will be eliminated. Like you I have no strong preferences although Molly evidently is/was a ringer coming in so would be my least popular winner.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:20 am

So, four dancers with little to separate them in talent and it's end of the line for them all. Ideally, this should be where skill and performance determines who takes the trophy. The judges are opinion only and it's all about the G.B.P vote...and thereby hangs a tale....If ever there was a time for them all to dance the same disciplines, this is it, but alas t'will not be so.

Why oh why cannot the producers, those fervent followers of the new "Innit" religion, listen to the public other than Beebop a flip-flop chlildren who are more Orwellian than Tales of the Riverbank. Ah well, on with it and may the best dancer on the night win (very doubtful, but good luck anyway! )santa
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:06 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote: I think Molly may miss out on the showdance as will be eliminated.
I thought everyone got to do their showdance these days and that there was now no fourth place elimination after the two couple's and judge's choice. For example, the year that Bill Bailey won, didn't HRVY, Jamie Laing and Maisie Smith also get to do their showdance?
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:17 pm

Twirlie wrote:
I thought everyone got to do their showdance these days and that there was now no fourth place elimination after the two couple's and judge's choice. For example, the year that Bill Bailey won, didn't HRVY, Jamie Laing and Maisie Smith also get to do their showdance?

You are probably right but still I do not see how Molly or Fleur suddenly garner enough votes to beat either Hamza or Helen. For me the finishing order will be:-

1st. Hamza
2nd. Helen
3rd. Fleur
4th. Molly
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:20 pm

Definitely right about all four dancing all their dances.

I agree about Hamza and Helen being the front runners but still believe in the power of the Showdances on the night, however I saw that Hamza is doing a ballroom based Showdance to 'Let's Face the Music and Dance' - sounds more like it and that could clinch it for him on an evening dominated otherwise by Latin, Pop and Couples Choices............

Enjoy the Final everyone!!! xxx

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: 2022 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:08 pm

Despite the concerns about the dance choices I really enjoyed the show - the predicted winner became the winner although I actually thought Helen would win on the night - I also loved what Fleur and Vito did. Will return tomorrow with some more thoughts.............................

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:51 am

Yes, I thought the night was a bit weird. Hamza - well, I thought that overall he was a good winner for the series as a whole. Not on the night though. On the night, I thought Fleur won out. His was definitely a popularity win.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:57 am

On the night it was Fleur all the way for me.  Superb performances.

But to be honest they all did well.  I enjoyed Molly’s show dance and Helen’s was rather sweet.  Hamza’s I’m afraid was dull but, let’s be honest, he was never going to lose was he?

A very entertaining show all round and, as ever, I loved the class of 22 performance.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:40 am

A very enjoyable series final. Congratulations to Hamza who takes the Glitterball but being honest he was not the best dancer on the night - perhaps even not second best. Over the whole of the series he was the leading light though.

I agree with you fiftynotout that Fleur was the strongest over the four dances and Helen's 'dance of the series' her couples choice being the dance of the night too. And I too loved the Class of 22' final performance.

On the whole a highly enjoyable night's viewing.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:42 am

No complaints from me except it was supposed to be an " on the night's performance", that's what finals are for surely, and, as mentioned, Hamza wasn't the star of the show last night. In fairness, they all raised their performance levels and did really well. I'll always squawk about judging apples v bananas, but that's just me. The show itself was highly entertaining and anyone could have won. I did raise an eyebrow at Helen's Guys and Dolls outfit for a Jive but that didn't affect anything.

I will confess that after a lifetime of dancing I didn't actually know what I was judging half the time. I love rhythm and it was all a bit frantic. The sincopation was good, partner to partner, but you could dance a samba to St Louis Blues or do a Waltz to Flight of the Bumble Bee if you practised it long enough. Victor Silvester may not agree. Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:11 am

Agree with your comments that Hamza was a worthy winner taking into account his performance over the whole series but I felt he didn't quite handle the pressure as well as the others last night, hence the little mistake. I really thought Helen was possibly going to edge it and Gorka was obviously gutted at the end. I just loved what Fleur did - she seemed so happy to even be there that there was no pressure and she and Vito were thoroughly enjoying themselves and therefore turned out some of the best performances of the evening for me with nothing to lose. I think they showed a good variety and notwithstanding the Couples Choice I have liked their attention to the technical aspects of dances.

My dances of the night were Hamza's salsa, Fleur's samba (one of the dances of the season for me) and Helen's Couples Choice. I think Hamza was at his best in the salsa at the beginning. I didn't like the Molly and Carlos quick step the first time round and I didn't really change my opinion, too much out of hold although she did dance it with a bit more spirit and skill this time round. I wasn't sure about Helen's jive first time round and I do like more of a continuous rhythm for a jive but I enjoyed it better and enjoyed the music this time round, I thought it was full of precision and was different in a good way.

The showdances were underwhelming in the main and to me this year seemed a bit cobbled together which is sad as these used to be the big highlight. I was really looking forward to Hamza's showdance and it did think it was beautiful with an instrumental version of 'Let's Face the Music', but I kept waiting for the tempo to quicken a bit to provide more variety. I really didn't like Molly's Showdance - just a lot of strutting around, not much to it for me. Fleur and Vito were very intense but she clearly really liked those intense dances and it was enjoyable but would have been soooo much better with better and more atmospheric music, it could have really blown things away. I really liked that Helen did some ballroom in her Showdance and as the j udges said, it was light and bright.

Still think that Couples Choice should have not have featured in the Final - but I did thoroughly enjoy Helen's dance and thought it did not suffer from not having the backing dances - it was a real highlight. Hamza and Fleur did what they did before. It was a brave choice from Molly and Carlos to do a rumba in the Final and it was well executed.

One of the highlights for me last night was the group dance and ensemble featuring all the contestants. I think it was done particularly well this year and enjoyed the little interviews they did with the cast.

Although I felt it was not a particularly well balanced programme for the evening this year and I got a bit tired of Shirley massaging Molly's ego the whole time - not necessary, I did overall think it was a great show and a very enjoyable Final.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty Finals

Post  B4p Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:33 pm

Well, I made it back about an hour before the finals started. I didn't see the semi-final but reading everyone's comments, it seems Will had a less than stella week. I enjoyed the show and can't believe how fast time has gone yet again. Here are my thoughts.

Part 1 - Judges Choice

Hamza & Jowita - Salsą
I really enjoyed this and thought the dance suited him. As An ton said Hamza, the partnership and that dance was just  ‘Joyous’.

Molly & Carlos - Quickstep.
I thought this was better than the first time around, although I still think there was a lot of wasted time in the beginning, demonstrating umbrella-ology. Not my favourite Quickstep, but I can’t quite nail down why.

Fleur & Vito - Samba
I love a good Samba, and thought Vito did some marvellous choreography. The technical detail in there was superb, and she carried it off well with great panache. Probably my favourite of Fleur’s dances, although their A.Tango came a very close second.

Helen & Gorka - Jive.
I enjoyed this Jive a lot, partly because of the choreography, but also the black/white settings and shades of Sam Spade’s Private Eye era. I preferred this without the extra dancers at Blackpool, as I found it easier to watch Helen without getting distracted.

Part 2 - Showdances

Hamza & Jowita - A.Smooth Foxtrot
I thought Hamza made a hand grip error at the beginning which threw his confidence. He seemed on edge, counting, and playing catch-up. For me, his footwork seemed heavy. His lifts were good, but he seemed to be trying to play catch-up, dancing through a sea of treacle. I wasn’t keen.

Molly & Carlos - Prince Medley.
Well. Molly said she wanted to show another side of her, and she certainly did. They’ve obviously got a sackful of marigold gloves this season, along with a few black corsets for the male dancers. I liked the strong start, and concept, then the storyline didn’t seem to go anywhere and just fizzled out. Kudos for trying something different.

Fleur & Vito - A Paso, A.Tango and Rumba Mix
I enjoyed the contrast between the intensity and strength of the first two styles of dances, against the softer but equally intense Rumba. I thought Vito’s choreography was clever and suited Fleur’s personality. She had the chance to show that she could work with two different speeds and genre plus throw in some light and shade. I think I enjoyed this the most out of the 4 Showdances.

Helen & Gorka - ?A.Smooth.
I loved their silver and grey outfits. I enjoyed it but found the choreography quite forgettable, which was a shame. All I remember of that dance is that they both swirled around the floor smiling.

Part 3 - Couples Favourite.

Hamza & Jowita - C.Choice to Jerusalema
Well this went even better than the first time, and that had been good. A great song and dance for them to end on. I loved Cr aig saying ‘You’re everything I’m not!’.

Molly & Carlos - Rumba
I thought this looked better than the first time around. Most Rumbas bore me, but I did actually like Fleur and Kym’s Rumbas this year. For some reason, this didn’t ignite me, or hold my attention. I’m not sure if that was because of the dance, or the choreography.

Fleur & Vito - C.Choice to Beyonce-type music.
I found this less distracting without all the Blackpool backing dancers. They seemed to work in close synchronisation with each other and dance as equals. Her energy levels seem limitless, and she certainly puts her heart into every dance she does. I thought the choreography was detailed and suited her down to the ground. Vito’s done well this year. Overall, I still don’t like this ‘music video’ style of dancing, but credit where it is due, she did a fabulous job.

Helen & Gorka - C.Choice to Mein Herr (Cabaret)
I think Helen has had the biggest transition out of the four finalists, from a nervous, performance-less early dancer to that final show-stopper. She sold it even better than in Blackpool, and I think Gorka did a fantastic job of showcasing Helen and acting as a support dancer rather than her professional. This will remain one of my favourite dances of the series. Fantastic job.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:00 pm

I think the expectation of the show dances has finally been diluted by the Couples Choices (3 in this year's final). I miss some of the show-stopping dances from the earlier Strictly finals. Before, they always seemed to be different from anything that had been danced in the main series. This year seemed more like a 'resit repeat' for higher marks.

I was surprised not to see Gio and Rose do one of their dances. Isn't that the usual format for a final? To see the current champions, before they hand the Glitterball onto someone else?

I don't know why Gilkison has to go around visiting all the finalists? For the last show, I think the choreography should be left to the contestant's professional. After all, the professional knows their partner better than him, after 3-4 months of working with them. I think he's had input over the last few years now. Gio usually does a stunning show dance, but it seemed pared down from the other year after the head choreographer's visits.

I'm not sure about Shirley giving tips to the celebrities before the final. It's not as though the general public are going to be voting for the same things that she's looking for. If after 3 months, for example, the women still don't know the correct ballroom position is on the pros right side, then surely that's a basic mistake of the pro for not reinforcing that? Maybe it's also down to fewer couples possibly doing less ballroom dances this year?

I was pleased for Hamza and Jowita, but gutted for Gorka. Was this his 4th final?
I think Helen had the more noticeable 'expedition' in terms of a learning curve, particularly in performing. I also thought she danced a bit better than Hamza last night, but it was always going to be down to the public. Because of that, Fleur and Molly would have been unlikely to win, and they both seemed to just relax and enjoy themselves.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:32 pm

At last, The Final

Hamza & Joweta
Their Salsa was as joyous as ever. I was rather surprised there still wasn’t a 10 from C.raig, but there you go - at least he’s consistant.

Their Showdance was a bit of a disaster. I’ll admit I didn’t expect it to be very exciting when I heard they were dancing to “Lets Face the Music and Dance”. I think Joweta missed the mark there, and even with choreographic help from others, it still didn’t really catch the imagination. Is it the first time that Hamza’s made a mistake? I wonder what got to him.

Their Couple’s Choice was much better than first time round and I really, really enjoyed it. They finally got 40 and it was well deserved. I thought it was an imaginative piece, quite brilliant in concept and execution. They really are a great couple. They compliment each other without a doubt. For most of the time, they dance as one entity, much more than any of the others.

Molly & Carlos

I did enjoy their Quickstep and thought it was much improved from first time round. It was sparkier, sprightlier,  agile and joyous. I always did love the costumes and am glad they didn’t change anything...

Their Showdance I thought was wonderful. I loved the concept – Kylie’s Lips and the costumes were excellent! Those gloves! (Handy for dancing AND doing the dishes!) They weren’t always in sync though – as Shirley said – the obvious one was the canes being thrown away but there were others which weren’t quite as obvious but they were there. I enjoyed it nevertheless.

The Rumba was good, and I think that it was better than last time. I’m glad they didn’t get 40 as I didn’t think it deserved it.  It  was good, don’t get me wrong, but not that wonderful.

Fleur & Vito
Everyone loves her Samba except me. I didn’t like it first time round, and although perhaps I appreciated it a bit better this time, it still didn’t wow me and I hated the dress. As I think I’ve said before, part of my problem may be that whenever I hear this music, in my mind’s eye I see Mark Ramprakash and Karen Hardy. And this performance was nowhere near as good as theirs.

They did a terrific Showdance. It was the best of the night by far for me.  The mix of Argentine Tango and Paso Doble intermingled with everything else, was wonderful. It was strong and exciting and had great storytelling. I know I’ve said it already, but it was terrific.

Their Couple’s Choice. Well everyone loves this dance but I still don’t get it. What on earth is it about this dance that makes it worth 40? I can’t see anything special in it. It’s what you’d expect to see on stage in a singer’s backing group of dancers as far as I’m concerned. As to it being one of Strictly’s iconic dances? Rubbish. As far as I’m concerned it’s utterly generic.

Helen & Gorka
I think Helen disappointed me most because I expected so much more from her.
The Jive was good, but I didn’t think it had much vim & vigour to it. It seemed a little tired and I didn’t think it was terrifically imaginative first time round, nor this time again

Her Showdance was beautifully done. Smooth and graceful. However it wasn’t a showstopper I don’t think. It didn’t take my breath away like Fleur’s did, or Molly’s for that matter.

Their Couples Choice was well enough danced but it really didn’t work without the extra dancers. It’s a company number with a lead dancer. Take the extras away and it’s a pretty tame affair. Helen danced it well but it needed some changes to the choreography that didn’t help it. A lot of the choreography that was left didn’t make sense. It was a bit of a let down.

(A side note on the Terms & Conditions. I realised Rose Ayling-Ellis couldn’t give terms and conditions live, because she’s appearing in “As You Like It” at the new Soho Place Theatre which only opened in October. Mrs Twirlie and I went to see it two weeks ago and it was totally exciting. It was played in the round and Rose signed nearly everything, as did those who were closest to her in the play, Rosalind and Touchstone. For the audience there were supertitles on all four sides of the auditorium so they could keep up with the signing. The signing wasn’t just BSL but included some mime as well which added to the fun.  Some gestures of course weren’t BSL or mime – but they were recognisable just the same!!! It was the liveliest performance of “As You Like It” I’ve seen in quite a long time.)

So, as others have said, I think it was Fleur’s night, but she was never going to win. You can’t be in four DOs  and expect audience popularity to carry you through on one night. Was it my imagination or was Gorka a bit disappointed for Helen. She and Hamza have been mentioned as possible winners for ages now. Perhaps he thought they had a chance after Hamza’s disappointing Showdance.

Talking of Showdances, I know I said recently that quite often the Showdance determines the  winner. Well not this year it seems. Hamza’s was the weakest Showdance, yet he still won. It was also a year where popularity was definitely the deciding factor. Although by no means the worst dancer in the series – in fact he was possibly the best generally – he still won despite being the weakest in the final. I don’t really begrudge him his win. And I’m very pleased for Joweta. She’s obviously taught him well, and to win with your first partner is always a joy.

It’s also been a pleasure chatting with you all again and reading each others’ comments. I look forward to doing it all again next year.
Twirlie
Twirlie

CaledonianCraig likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:40 pm

What is unusual about this year's winner is that Hamza wasn't a renowned and well-known/popular celebrity. At the start he'd probably have been listed somewhat of a Z-lister. For him to therefore scoop up the biggest share of votes and remain out of the dance-off throughout the whole series speaks volumes as to how he has won the hears of the public on the dance floor. Actually, sitting here right now I cannot think of a lesser known celebrity (pre-series) to have won Strictly in all of its twenty series.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next