Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

+7
Twirlie
CaledonianCraig
jingle
Moova 12
mauveangel09
TANGOLERO
B4p
11 posters

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2022

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:37 pm

B4p wrote:
Another quote from our household's armchair expert 'blimey - she looks almost normal with her hair like that'

............and she looked younger I would venture to say Smile

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Week 11 - Musicals

Post  B4p Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:21 pm

Quarter Finals

Opening Pro dance - Not keen. I thought it was a disjointed mess, and if I see those school desks on the dance floor yet again, I’ll be tempted to throw a chalkboard cleaner at the TV set. I didn’t recognise any of the guest singers/dancers, or the musicals they represented, so that went over my head I’m afraid.

I recognised some of the additional Pro dancers from other Strictly shows including Blackpool. Sometimes they got very close to the dancers which obscured the view a bit. One of the younger dancers, dual heritage (with dyed blonde hair, and wearing long denim shorts) reminded me a bit of how magnetic Johannes’s dancing was when he first joined the Pros.  He was dancing next to Cameron a couple of times, and quite frankly rang rings around him. His energy levels and dance technique were in a different league.  

Most of the contestants have only had 3.5-4 days to learn their new routines this week. I think they should be applauded for putting on such high-standard dances, in such a short space of time. I thought they all did well, and would not like to call who will be in this week’s dance-off. It’s really going to come down to the public vote I think. This is the point where we often have 2 strong dancers in the dance-off, which I know as a competition will happen, but it still makes me a bit nervous!

Molly & Carlos - Charleston. Molly’s flapper-style dress was gorgeous. I liked the setting. I loved the routine. I found the extra dancers a bit distracting but I guess they were in a bar, so I understand why.  I had to smile at Motsi’s comments of  ‘I saw you dancing next to the professional (Lauren) and thought……… I guess Carlos doesn’t count then? Claude mentioned to Molly ‘Is it true you never thought about Musical theatre until now? Eh? Isn't that part of the Sylvia Young Stage School curriculum? Quite a few of their Alumni end up doing West End stage work don't they?

Hamza & Jowita - Sambą. I had been worried that Hamza would get stitched up with Richie’s Lion King onesie costume, and that the dance wouldn’t suit his dodgy knees, but I thought he did a really good job. As Shirley said, it was a soft, subtle Samba. His rhythm was consistent. He seemed lighter on his feet this week. Unlike Cr aig, I thought his solo Bachacardas looked pretty good. I doubt a man of Hamza’s build and knee problems could have danced with his knees much closer together.

Kym & Graziano - Cha-Cha. Good to see Kym back and looking well. I know they were portraying the crowd scene at the beginning of the film, but again, I got distracted by the extra dancers and lost concentration. It was ok. I liked it, but it didn’t hold my attention or blow me away. I thought it was easily the weakest dance of the night.

Will & Nancy - Foxtrot. I thought there was a lot of faffing about at the beginning. I kept saying 'get on with it!' I would have liked to have seen more Foxtrot in hold. There seemed to be a lot of break-outs into solo parts.  It reminded me of a show dance, or A.Smooth. His footwork and frame have improved. I enjoyed it, but not enough for a 10.

Helen & Gorka - C.Choice. Another strong performance. I liked the routine and the setting. I thought her facial expression was quite tense for a lot of the dance, like she was deep in concentration. It’s good to see her confidence staying high. I think she's in a strong position as at least a finalist.

Fleur & Vito - Quickstep. I thought this was a lovely Quickstep. Lots of varied steps and travelling around the floor. She kept in synch with Vito throughout. I didn’t really understand Shirley’s comment about ‘keep working on your frame’. Really? In week 11? If some of the couples had had more earlier ballroom dances, they’d have all had more chances to practice their ballroom hold. I didn’t mind the extra dancers in this street scene although I couldn’t look at the French Policeman without thinking of the sitcom Allo-Allo. I kept imagining Rene would be making an entrance any moment!

Overall, I enjoyed the show.
B4p
B4p

mauveangel09 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re; Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2022

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:44 pm

I really enjoyed the show. I thought that for the most part the music was well chosen for a change and the costumes and sets were good. I agree with much of your post B4P - I didn't really enjoy the opening n umber and also I thought that the extra dancers just got in the way for some of the routines. I don't think the extra dancers work as well in the studio.

Now that Elley has gone I thought tonight that I could not pick between them - all good and all a high standard. Very difficult to score, I found myself giving them all '9's and hovering over the '10' panel but not quite giving it, as enjoyable as it all was. Whoever goes out will not deserve it this week, but we're at that point in the contest and it will just play out now. On ability alone they all have their different strengths and all seem pretty much at the same level to me, far more so than usual. So as you say B4P - it is all down to the public whim.

Molly and Carlos - Charleston
Great music for a traditional Charleston and Molly looked lovely. Thought she was really in her comfort zone here and the routine looked good - they were so well in sync throughout that I couldn't help but enjoy it, however, it did have the feel of a 'set piece' from a show, but then again this week that was what it was supposed to be............

Hamza and Jowita - Samba
I started off thinking that I was not going to like it and I must admit it challenged me somewhat in terms of the music being suitable for a samba. However, I found it so precise and light footed that I started to enjoy it and I found that it had all the samba content and beat that the dance should have but it was really something different. Loved Hamza's solo bits and all the choreography. If he was in line for the stitch up tonight, it didn't happen.........

Kym and Graziano - Cha Cha
I was pleased to see Kym back and clearly enjoying herself - and I thought this routine was slightly undermarked. I did think however that the backing dancers really spoilt it, made it look messy and took the focus off Kym. I thought she had worked to get good cha cha technique and had straight legs but also got some hip action in too. I thought she kept the control that is needed in a cha cha but blended it well with the freestyle 'Fame' bits.

Will and Nancy - Foxtrot
I thought that as a whole routine it worked really well - I loved Nancy's beautiful dress and the atmosphere they created although I thought it was almost too dramatic for a Foxtrot (might be a weird observation I know). The bits in hold were very good and I thought they did some great steps and sequences although like a lot of their dances it seemed to be organised in sections with a lot out of hold in between - more like an American Smooth without the lifts. I have to say though I have preferred Nancy this year - definitely not so over the top as she was.

Helen and Gorka - Couples Choice - Cabaret
Loved it - just my sort of thing - I love this musical and love Fosse so this was always going to appeal to me. This was one of the few dances where I felt that the backing dancers did work well and were needed to recreate the scene. I think you made a comment about Helen's face B4P - I felt that she kept up the severe face for too long and could have done with some more varied expression but other than that it was brilliant . Thought Gorka looked a bit downbeat tonight?

Fleur and Vito - Quick Step
Great music, very fast but she kept up with it well and I felt this was a demanding routine which Fleur pulled off. I think she is really a latin girl and at times I did find this just a little heavy footed but it was a great routine overall.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:36 am

mauveangel09 wrote:

Will and Nancy - Foxtrot
I thought  that as a whole routine it worked really well - I loved Nancy's beautiful dress and the atmosphere they created although I thought it was almost too dramatic for a Foxtrot (might be a weird observation I know).  

I watched the show late due to football (shame on me) but I'll say right now that that was one of the most entertaining Strictly episodes I've seen (and I've watched it from the start). Granted, I agree with B4p about the annoying obsession with gym slips and school blazers at the show opener, but the rest was par excellence. It went off like a polished and well rehearsed West End offering and that includes the music and costumery. No one deserves to go home after that. Give them all a bauble and a big round of applause.

The dances:

Not sure why Kim's Chaw-chaw (Tess), despite getting almost rave reviews from the judges,was marked 2 points less than Hamza, 4 less than Molly and 5 less then Will, Molly and Fleur. That was the one bad item in a really commendable night. (I did laugh at Claudia's "How do you spell Fleur in French joke) . Kim came back from illness and really smashed it.

I made a note of Will's Foxtrot having distinct Rumba elements , ( good to see Mauve agreeing) but he danced it very well

Hamza's levels of dance don't vary; he a real dancing man. Molly pulled off a classic Roaring Twenties Charleston, Will was possibly Dance of the Night and Fleur's quickstep was in the Gene Kelly Cid Charisse mode. Really high class stuff.

I've left Helen's Couples Choice till last because it was so far removed from both Latin and Ballroom that it was hard to describe.. What it was a very different and very clever example of highly entertaining show dance beautifully done and with big credit to Gorka for the pro aspect in the choreography. Can't argue with the marks, it was dazzling.

All in all a truly enjoyable night. For once, I raise my hat to the show with not a moan in sight. Well done all. cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:36 pm

I have just watched the Musicals Week which I recorded on my BT Box. What a great standard. A top notch dancer is exiting this week.

Molly and Carlos (Charleston): A great start to the show. She nailed it in all departments with the goofiness, the swivel steps, the lifts and exits from the lifts. Her best dance so far for me. Agreed with C.raig in that she really attacked it. A 9 from me.

Hamza and Jowita (Samba): I felt this dance would suit him and it did. Thought there was slight hesitation right at the very start but maybe that was the choreography. For the most part great fluidity and hip movement though one section looked a little off. An 8 from me.

Kym and Graziano (Cha Cha): I really enjoyed this. She showed great confidence in her solo parts and danced the steps all very well despite the ridiculous high heels. Also had great rhythm and timing. An 8.5 from me.

Will and Nancy (Foxtrot): The beautifully intense start created a feel that went on throughout the dance. Will danced it all very well with great feeling but his posture for a moment or two looked off. And after the dance the VT replays seemed to confirm this when he was spinning Nancy. An 8.5 from me.

Helen and Gorka (Couples Choice): Wow - a couples choice dance that I loved and got. Just superb with the almost Charleston-esque style and that move where she went into splits on Gorka's back - just wow. She showed great confidence and the set and backing dancers helped to make this a perfect dance for me. A 10 from me.

Fleur and Vito (Quickstep): Apart from the faffing at the start and one or two moments when she held a pose for a few seconds wasting time this was a great dance. Again setting and backing dancers added to the feel of the dance and she danced it superbly. An 8.5 from me.

What a superb set of dances and mind-blowing to think one of them will exit. Going purely on the dances and what they did for me I'd have Hamza and Will in the dance-off but popularity will win out so think the dance-off will be between Molly and Fleur.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:54 pm

Quarter Finals

OK!
It was a really very good night and most of what I saw I liked.

I enjoyed the opening number, but was aghast that after a lifetime working in musical theatre and in the West End, I didn’t recognise any of the musicals.  I have come to recognise that I worked in musical theatre because it was a job I was good at, rather than one I loved. I don’t think I’ve been to the theatre to see a musical once since my enforced retirement. (Arthritic knees.) Concerts, plays and the ballet attract my attention, but not musicals. However there were enough oldies and goldies among the dances that I could enjoy. I even was in Fame in London, though playing the old music master – not a dancer. In the shows I have done – you could always find me at the side of the stage watching the dancers doing their thing in the big dances. 42nd Street’s “We’re in the Money” and the title number were always a draw. Plus I’ve always enjoyed the Kander and Ebb/Fosse shows. I could “move” as they say – rather like the celebrities in Strictly – but never dance - like the Pros.

So on to the dances.

Molly & Carlos – Charleston
I love Chicago so I was predisposed to enjoy this anyway. Motsi’s comment about Molly’s standard being up to Lauren’s was a bit of a leap of credibility although I do think that when accompanying the celebs, the pros should be encouraged to lower their game a bit. Lauren let fly, and Molly, poor dear, just couldn’t keep up. This continued throughout the number really. She was very, very good. Pretty accurate and it was an enjoyable number. The mid air cartwheel lift she did with Carlos looked strained, as if she might not make it all the way over, but her individual one at the end was excellent. So were the windmill steps near the beginning. Excellent and not easy. All in all worthy of a high score. Not that there was any doubt that Motsi and Shirley would whip out the 10 paddles. They never do anything else these days it seems.

Hamza & Joweta – Samba
I should say right off that this was the dance of Hamza’s that I have liked the least. Also I hated the costumes. They looked like old variety act costumes - something that Wilson Kepple and Betty might have worn. Hamza was dressed like something from an old western and Joweta could have worked in the Saloon. They looked like refugees from “Calamity Jane”. The music wasn’t up to much either. Not really Samba music as far as I was concerned. As to the dancing, well I suppose he made a good stab at it. It wasn’t terrific though, and he and Joweta even got out of sync at one point. He’s just not built for those Samba rolls. Despite all this, I thought his scores were very fair.

Kym & Graziano – Cha Cha Cha
My goodness, Kym carried off that costume with aplomb! I was a little surprised to see it, as hadn’t there been a fuss at Strictly about costumes that weren’t demure enough. I think put a vest on you strumpet Jordan sparked that one (her forum name says it all!).! She does have an amazing figure.  46 years and 4 children later she still looks wonderful. Anyhow, she couldn’t hide her dancing in any way, and didn't need to in my opinion – every move was exposed and I loved it all. I thought this was sparky and full of Cha Cha/Fame content, and that she brought it off marvellously as A.nton would say. I loved the way she finished off her final arm flourish. It may not have been the best dance of the night, but it was the one that I enjoyed most I think. Her or Helen for me. Her marks were disgracefully low. I’m assuming that the Judges are giving themselves an excuse to send her off home if she is in the DO. I definitely didn’t think she was worst or that she deserved such a low score. What was C.raig thinking. He gives her great comments with no criticism and then only gives her 8. What’s that about?

Will & Nancy - Foxtrot
My problem with Will each week is that I just don’t like him. No matter how well or badly he dances, he will never get my vote. I thought this was not very interesting, certainly not exciting. Nancy’s dress was nice though. 3 x 10s? Ridiculous.

Helen & Gorka – Couples Choice (Theatre & Jazz)
Hurrah – more Kander and Ebb. It was a great number to choose and I don’t know who choreographed it – but it was really tremendous. This definitely was the Dance of the Night as far as I was concerned. The Fosse vibe was at full throttle and Helen was so confident, that you’d think she had been dancing this 8 shows a week for a year! There was no hesitation anywhere and the moves and shapes were sensational. I agree that this was the one dance where the extra dancers were essential. I had no problem with the facial expressions. The cheeky came in at the right parts and went back to the drab expressionless at the right points too.  As to the scores – well there was no way that Will and Nancy’s Foxtrot was as good as this dance.  That’s the problem with Motsi, Shirley and A.nton handing out the 10s willy-nilly. I think it was worth 4 x 10s. (Kudos to Gorka too. He looks great in a corset!)

Fleur & Vito – Quickstep
She was excellent – very good – just not 10 worthy. I thought it a bit stompy in places if I’m honest. Sorry Fleur!

The other thing I’d like to add about tonight’s show is that I enjoyed all the extra dancers and while there were more than our normal five extra pros, Lauren, Michelle, Luba, Cameron and Neil, the efforts backstage with costume and wig changes must have been incredible. Talk about quick changes!

Finally, Mrs Twirlie thinks Giovanni has the most wonderful taste in clothes. They’re beautifully tailored, and the conservative side of show-biz outfits. He always looks immaculate. Just thought I’d share that as there were quite a few shots of him last night.
Twirlie
Twirlie

mauveangel09 and CaledonianCraig like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:14 pm

Love reading your comments.

Twirlie so agree with you re Will. I don’t enjoy watching him dance and I don’t know why. I do find his facial expressions off putting.
Hamza I like but not sure the music or his shape suited the samba.
I thought Fleur looked lovely and did well with a fast dance.

Helen I loved it. I loved that it was about her, Gorka was lead backing dancer. I thought the fabu-u-lus darling one was mean it should 40 imo.

My votes went to Helen Hamza and Fleur.
Moova 12
Moova 12

Twirlie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:49 pm

Twirlie wrote:Quarter FinalsIt was a really very good night and most of what I saw I liked.

I enjoyed the opening number, but was aghast that after a lifetime working in musical theatre and in the West End, I didn’t recognise any of the musicals.  I have come to recognise that I worked in musical theatre because it was a job I was good at, rather than one I loved. I don’t think I’ve been to the theatre to see a musical once since my enforced retirement. (Arthritic knees.) Concerts, plays and the ballet attract my attention, but not musicals. However there were enough oldies and goldies among the dances that I could enjoy. I even was in Fame in London, though playing the old music master – not a dancer. In the shows I have done – you could always find me at the side of the stage watching the dancers doing their thing in the big dances. 42nd Street’s “We’re in the Money” and the title number were always a draw. Plus I’ve always enjoyed the Kander and Ebb/Fosse shows. I could “move” as they say – rather like the celebrities in Strictly – but never dance - like the Pros.

Finally, Mrs Twirlie thinks Giovanni has the most wonderful taste in clothes. They’re beautifully tailored, and the conservative side of show-biz outfits. He always looks immaculate. Just thought I’d share that as there were quite a few shots of him last night.
How exciting to have a background in Musical Theatre. I've only been to see 'Phantom' in London. The show was fabulous, but the organised (?) coach trip was as Cr aig would say an absolute dis-as-ter! Our two coaches got separated in thick fog and we couldn't see the lights of London as we drove through. We found out later that someone had had a heart attack on the other coach, and it got diverted to a hospital.

Our designated hotel was double booked, so we ended up at another next to Heathrow airport. No time to change into our finery or go for a meal. We were rushed back into London in our scruffy clothes with less than 30 minutes to spare. Some managed to grab a MacDonald's burger before running down the street to the theatre. The next morning the hotel (who hadn't expected us), ran out of breakfasts and our party were told to wait against the wall of the breakfast area whilst other customers had their breakfast first. Needless to say there wasn't much food left for us and then we had to hurry back onto the coach. Other problems continued but that's another story. Needless to say, if I ever go to another London show, I'll make my own arrangements.

I saw Jeanette, Alijaz, Karen and Kevin in a Burn the Floor production many years ago. We've got 'Wizard of Oz' on at our local Curve theatre which moves to the West end next summer, and I saw Chorus Line at Curve last year.

Gio looks like an Italian model, and like most Italians seems to have an inbuilt style gene.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2022

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:51 pm

Twirlie wrote:Quarter Finals

[
Kym & Graziano – Cha Cha Cha
My goodness, Kym carried off that costume with aplomb! I was a little surprised to see it, as hadn’t there been a fuss at Strictly about costumes that weren’t demure enough. I think put a vest on you strumpet Jordan sparked that one (her forum name says it all!).! She does have an amazing figure.  46 years and 4 children later she still looks wonderful. Anyhow, she couldn’t hide her dancing in any way, and didn't need to in my opinion – every move was exposed and I loved it all. I thought this was sparky and full of Cha Cha/Fame content, and that she brought it off marvellously as A.nton would say. I loved the way she finished off her final arm flourish. It may not have been the best dance of the night, but it was the one that I enjoyed most I think. Her or Helen for me. Her marks were disgracefully low. I’m assuming that the Judges are giving themselves an excuse to send her off home if she is in the DO. I definitely didn’t think she was worst or that she deserved such a low score. What was C.raig thinking. He gives her great comments with no criticism and then only gives her 8. What’s that about?

Yes to everything you've said Twirlie - there was nowhere to hide with that costume and I think she danced it even better in the dance off. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Difficult to get landed with a cha cha at this stage - it was a far more technical dance to have to do than what Molly had and I think Kym danced faultlessly in the dance off. So difficult. All my work lot were crushed that she went out but that's the way it is going to be this week and next week as they are all so similar in standard. Unfortunately Molly will only get to the Final on being saved by the judges. I have felt sorry for her over the weeks but tonight I just wanted Kym to get through........... It wasn't to be.

I noted that A nton bottled and left it to Shirley.................

On second watching today I thought Will was overmarked but he obviously has the public vote. Gosh next week is going to be tense..............

Feels weird not to be watching the main show tonight.............

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:52 pm

Moova 12 wrote:Helen I loved it. I loved that it was about her, Gorka was lead backing dancer. I thought the fabu-u-lus darling one was mean it should 40 imo.
I agree about Gorka stepping back and showcasing Helen. At this point, I think all the professionals should be doing the same and letting the contestant shine as much as possible.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:57 pm

Do we know when the semi-final and final are scheduled for? I had to find the results show via catch-up as I'd completely missed it.

I'm going away next weekend for a week, and I would really like to catch the shows (and vote) if possible.

As usual, there's nothing on the main BBC Strictly site. They've only just updated their Christmas Contestant list. Talk about slow!
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2022 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:59 pm

Twirlie wrote:[b]Quarter Finals[/

How exciting Twirlie - sounds brilliant. I bet you have some great tales to tell...............

None of the 'new' musicals appeal to me although anything that is pure dance related does. I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to the ballet and I would like to see more peformances - I do love 'The Nutcracker' but I think that is because I know all the music and the story and remember dancing round the living room when very young........Smile

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:10 pm

mauveangel09 wrote: I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to the ballet and I would like to see more peformances - I do love 'The Nutcracker' but I think that is because I know all the music and the story and remember dancing round the living room when very young........Smile  
I'd booked to see the Russian Ballet perform Nutcracker earlier this year, but then the Russian/Ukraine war broke out and the Russian Ballet were sent home.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2022 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Dates and Times for the Semis and Final

Post  B4p Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:55 pm

At last, I've found them.

Semi-Finals - Sunday 11 December 19.15

Results Show - Monday 12 December 20.15

Final - Saturday 17 December 19.05
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:18 pm

Thank you for the timingsB4p.
I am off to visit my daughter in Vancouver so will be searching for it on iplayer . Not being able to vote is gutting.
I am torn between Helen and Hamza. At the moment I hope Helen gets the glitterball.
Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:02 pm

Late comer again and I really didn't want anyone to go, but needs must, it's the show and best left at that. Same will happen next week and in the final. Predicting is a bit like picking the winner of the Grand National, so I'll leave that. I think Helen will walk off with the glitter ball, maybe Hamza will, but I'm not risking money on it.

Just a comment about the guest spot, what a total misconception of one of my favourite Sher songs. Gipsies, Tramps and Thieves was never about glitter but a fairground travelling show and they made a right royal cxxk up of it for me. A barefoot Gypsy girl dancer with a tambourine was all it needed, not a circus pantomime. Sorry if this upsets, but that's how I saw it.

On with the motley (or should that be Motsi..?) Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:03 pm

I'm a little worried for Hamza. I know he hasn't been in the DO so far, but he was second bottom of the leader board this week. He hasn't been as stunning lately as in the past, although I'm not sure I agreed with the judges about his Argentine Tango. With so few left in the competition, if he ends up at the bottom again, he'll need a huge public support to get him through to the final. Fingers Crossed.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:33 pm

I would have preferred Kym to get through on the basis that she has had much more of a jou-rney than Molly. However, it wasn't to be and I can see why the judges voted the way they did. Kym has given us a lot of great dances and liked her tenacious style and desire to learn.

The semi next week will be equally tough to call. I agree with Twirlie that, for me, Hamza has plateaud a bit and the dances have become more very good rather than great or memorable. Going by popularity it is between Hamza, Helen and Will as neither have been in the dance-off. Molly and Fleur have been in the dance-off multiple times so they are obviously not so popular with the voting public. I'd bet on next week's dance-off being between them with Molly being saved.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:28 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to the ballet and I would like to see more peformances - I do love 'The Nutcracker' but I think that is because I know all the music and the story and remember dancing round the living room when very young........Smile  

I don't think you're a lightweight at all. You should only like what you like and not feel bad about it. I suppose I should say I'm not a great fan of traditional ballet. You can keep your tutus. I'm more interested in what they call Modern Dance which I don't think is as worrying as it sounds It's a bit like the couple's choices and showdances. I had a look through some of them for comparison. Rose and Giovanni of course and Ashley and Pasha's couple's choice AND showdance were both wonderful. Debbie and Giovanni were perhaps the most stylistically balletic of all the couples. Additions to this non exclusive list would be Tom Fletcher and Amy to Les Miserables, and showdances by Louis and Flavia, Karim and Amy and of course perhaps the ultimate, Caroline Flack and Pasha's Showdance to "Angels" These all fit in with my idea of Modern Dance.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:07 pm

Yes I know what you mean  - I quite like a bit of contemporary.   I don't think we've seen as much this year so far?   Showdances perhaps?
Personally since 'Couples Choice' came along I think the Showdances have lost a bit of their impact.  Previously the Showdances were Couples Choices to me, with perhaps a bit more razzamatazz thrown in.  So many of them have now become glorified American Smooths.    The last few Finals I have found myself more interested in re-watching the dances that they have done earlier - particularly J udges Choice.   I enjoy the Showdances that show a combination of what they have learned during the contest, be it a latin medley or ballroom.    I think a contemporary showdance will always find it hard to beat one of the big Hollywood N umbers - but the ones you have quoted have been brilliant, Giovanni and Rose last year a case in point.

Is anyone finding it hard to come up with stand-out classic dances from this series?    Maybe it's me but although there have been some consistently excellent performances over the weeks I am struggling to come up with my favourites this year?

mauveangel09

Twirlie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:17 pm

Moova 12 wrote:Thank you for the timings B4p. I am torn between Helen and Hamza. At the moment I hope Helen gets the glitterball.
I'm thinking it will be Helen but I don't mind Hamza. I've got a feeling Fleur and Molly will end up at High Noon for the last dance-off shoot-out.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:58 pm

I was very late to the show and watched it on catch up. A couple of comments with no analysis and which are just opinion-.

I'm seeing the fabu-u-lus darling one with a big exit sign out and I fear it's Will and A.N.Other for the dance off with Will getting the "Adios" music. They've all done so very well it's a shame to lose any of them, but Strictly is a sudden death contest after all. There are only five left and I don't know if one r two will go? I'm still leaning towards Helen to win because I think Hamza's run his race, so it may be an all-girl final. That said, the G.B.P are notorious at upsetting apple-carts, so....que sera...

I think Will over-dramatized his Paso and Nancy's costume had overtones of a Geisha Girl rather than a Flamenco dancer. That said, two sevens were poor judging and Helen's Argentine Tango deserved better than Shirley's 8. Dance of the night for me. We;ll know soon enough...scratch
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:18 am

I'm 'snowed off' from work today - hence a post at this time Smile
It was a bit of a weird show for me and an evening of highs and lows - the highs being that there was some decent dancing in there although for me they have all already peaked now. The lows included as suspected some unsuitable music, three pasos in one show - why? Bad planning, and lastly the j udges who clearly have decided who they want to be in the Final and I don't rate anyones chances if Molly ends up in the DO again. Shirley turning all tough suddenly?? Why not earlier in the series, and A nton - the less said the better. I even found myself agreeing with some of what Motsi said last night and that's a first.......topsy turvey..... Very Happy

Hamza and Jowita - Charleston and Waltz
I preferred the Charleston to the Waltz personally. He is so light footed and I loved the routine and all the classic Charleston steps - couldn't quite get why he was in a kilt though? The waltz was very well excecuted but didn't quite wow me as much.

Fleur and Vito - Paso and Charleston
I actually quite liked the Paso, despite the music, but I think it was just too full of attack and lacked a bit of subtle atmosphere. I quite liked the skirt work. I couldn't believe that A nton felt it was their best dance though - to me their Samba and Argentine Tango were better. I'm afraid the Charleston didn't quite work for me but I expect I'll be in the minority here. I really like this track which to me is quite cheeky and subtle but that didn't really come through in the routine. I know that the Charleston is supposed to be danced with abandon but I found this too much and almost ungainly - the black trainers didn't help either. But the j udges seemed to like it........

Helen and Gorka - Waltz and Argentine Tango
Really loved the Waltz and I thought it was full of lovely footwork and liked the choreography. I also loved the Argentine Tango but for me it was completely spoiled by the music which demanded some moves that weren't particularly Argentine Tango-like, but I did really enjoy it. I loved Helen's dress.

Molly and Carlos - American Smooth and Paso
I enjoyed the American Smooth very much and Molly's stage training was evident here - thought it had a touch of contemporary rather than ballroom but not too much. I loved their costumes for the paso which didn't seem to match the music - the routine was good and I'm going to watch it back without sound. High standard performances both but not sure that I was wowed.

Will and Nancy - Paso and Couples Choice
I actually quite liked the Paso - I could see where the J udges were coming from as the cape work was small but I liked some of his shaping as it is such a different dance for the male to do as opposed to the female. I thought the choreography worked with the music. I wasn't expecting him to get such a savaging and it was worth more than a '7' for me. However, the second dance scraped the barrel of Couples Choice for me - the students where I work could do this in the corridor and I suspect it was a dance that he already knew how to do and which a lot of clubbers can do - it just had a few lifts chucked in. Definitely not worth a '10'! Underwhelmed.

Look forward to the results show tonight - it will be as it will be - they are all good this year.
One last high for me........I liked what both T ess and C laude were wearing last night. Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:18 pm

Yes, I thought it was a bit of a weird semi final too, and I'm all disoriented now with the show being on a Sunday, and the results show tonight, followed immediately by ITT.

Something odd going on in the judges camp too. CRH looked like he was melting, and what was with his guyliner? What a Face  - rather peculiar looking. And A.nton was much too fond of his ten paddle - he gave seven 10s out of the ten routines. I thought Will was the weakest dancer, but I agree Mauve that the judges seemed rather keen to savage his paso.  Having said that, I do wonder what they'll do if Will is in the dance off against Helen - Will's best dance earned him 38, while Helen's highest score was 37. So in theory he could be saved if they're both in the DO

Anyhow, a few thoughts on the dances
Hamza - Mauve, you'd mentioned beforehand that the producers seem obsessed with charlestons this year, which I totally agree with. It also occurs to me that the charlestons have all come with complicated props and themes - like Hamza's highland lodge, or Fleur's Trattoria.  I suspect that, behind the scenes, the charleston is probably compulsory rather than optional, and the pros probably don't have a say in the themes. Anyhow, the Scottish theme was a nod to the fact that Hamza lives in a remote village on the Scottish coast. If you haven't seen it, I'd definitely recommend 'My life in the Wild' (from channel 4) which is autobiographical and follows him filming various animals near his house. Having watched it I'm even more smitten with Hamza than I was before!
Anyhow, I enjoyed his charleston, especially the lifts, though didn't think the waltz was that great to be honest.

Fleur  - I wasn't a fan of the paso choreography, especially the part where Vito grabbed her skirt.  The charleston didn't really appeal either, it looked more like a jive to me, and there was virtually no swivel at all.

Helen - a superficial point, but I really didn't like the hair extensions, they distracted me and nearly hit Gorka in the face. Found the waltz a little lacklustre. I felt a wee bit disappointed with the argentine tango, it looked like she was concentrating very hard and it came across as a bit robotic to me. I know she was filming her farm programme during the week, so I wonder if she just didn't have enough time to learn two dances.

Molly - felt the choreography for the american smooth was a bit tame, and the lift was underwhelming. However her paso was unexpectedly my dance of the night (and I loved the paso outfits too).

Will - not a great paso, although I do agree with Mauve about the unexpected savaging from the judges. I loathed the couples choice! It just looked like 'bopping around' to music without any surprises or storytelling.

The dance off tonight will be interesting - I imagine it'll be the end of the road for Will, but time will tell..
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:41 pm

jingle wrote:

Hamza - Mauve, you'd mentioned beforehand that the producers seem obsessed with charlestons this year, which I totally agree with. It also occurs to me that the charlestons have all come with complicated props and themes - like Hamza's highland lodge, or Fleur's Trattoria.  I suspect that, behind the scenes, the charleston is probably compulsory rather than optional, and the pros probably don't have a say in the themes. Anyhow, the Scottish theme was a nod to the fact that Hamza lives in a remote village on the Scottish coast. If you haven't seen it, I'd definitely recommend 'My life in the Wild' (from channel 4) which is autobiographical and follows him filming various animals near his house. Having watched it I'm even more smitten with Hamza than I was before!
Anyhow, I enjoyed his charleston, especially the lifts, though didn't think the waltz was that great to be honest.

Aah - that explains the kilt..................I must catch the programme that you have mentioned Jingle

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next