Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zoe Ball to present "Takes Two"

+30
lualen
Poppetlovestango
Little Ms Hit
Littlebear
hatlady28
jingle
Maya53
fiftynotout
Pink Pinot Girl
Sofajudge
Lucielle
diamondsandpearls
B4p
133-230-44039-18180-800
sparklypink
Redcurrant
MissingLilia
mauveangel09
kate
gingercodgers
LOST-TANGO
David Tee
Sid
Mslightfoot
MrsArcanum
allsewnonbyhand
chris82
Sadiesamba
saxonsiren
Twirlie
34 posters

Page 9 of 32 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20 ... 32  Next

Go down

Zoe Ball to present "Takes Two"  - Page 9 Empty Re: Zoe Ball to present "Takes Two"

Post  Maya53 Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:28 pm

sorry, Hatlady, getting carried away there a la CRH, the word you used was of course discombobulating (I think?) I just added the fab bit... Rolling Eyes
Maya53
Maya53

Back to top Go down

Zoe Ball to present "Takes Two"  - Page 9 Empty Re: Zoe Ball to present "Takes Two"

Post  saxonsiren Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:07 am

loved the word discombobulating!!!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Little Ms Hit Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:15 am

Lucielle wrote: I would have thought it much easier for Natalie to have worn low heels for this. I think those that do will be faster.

Well you might be right after all. Aliona was wearing pumps although she seemed to be on her tiptoes throughout as if in invisible heels.

My initial thoughts on this challenge was that the girls would be faster but I'm not sure now. Certainly one of the more interesting Pro challenges but I see we will have to endure the introduction VT every time again.
Little Ms Hit
Little Ms Hit

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:55 am

Aliona lists herself as skilled in Hip Hop, a "flat shoe" dance.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:14 pm

Forgive me for being for being a dance moron....

Whilst I have picked up a bit of the technical stuff over the years on Strictly I am not really au fait with many of the technical terms. I had heard of Botafogos (years ago when I first saw Strictly Ballroom - and I was convinced they were a made-up term for the film.....) although I only seem to have heard them on SCD this year (plenty of fleckles, kicks and flicks and even ganchos in previous years but no botafogos...).

So, although I have heard the term, saw Natalie getting through a fair few (haven't watched Tues ITT yet for Alion's attempt) I haven't a clue what they actually consist of, footwork-wise. I thought with all the build up ITT were going to show one in slow-mo, or one of the dancers would take us through it slowly, in teaching mode. But no, a lot of faff and then straight into Nat's attempt - which was just a blur of feet as far as I was concerned, even though she reckoned she was quite careful and could have gone faster.

So, anyone up to the job of explaining a botafogo, or able to provide a link to someone teaching it (preferably to someone of moron-level...)??

Your's shamefacedly ignorant on dance steps, D&P Embarassed
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  lualen Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:02 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

I thought with all the build up ITT were going to show one in slow-mo, or one of the dancers would take us through it slowly, in teaching mode. But no, a lot of faff and then straight into Nat's attempt - which was just a blur of feet as far as I was concerned, even though she reckoned she was quite careful and could have gone faster.

Thought the same thing!! Maybe Ian will show us tonight - he's pretty good at explaining steps.
lualen
lualen

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:53 pm

I've just finished watching Tuesdat's ITT....

And Celia Birtwell!!! BLESS her......She came armed with knowledge and enthusiasm for the show (well,for Chelsee and Pasha anyway), not just with feeble, lacklustre comments about fabric. Not quite in the same league as our Hilary, but the best yet by a long chalk in my view.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Oooh oooh oooh!! The excitement....

I've just looked up Botafoga's on t'internet and after a false start (it directed me to a Portuguese [or possibly Brazilian] football club) I found a bit on Wiki. And guess, what? Right down there at the bottom, in the reference section, this thread is cited.....I case you don't believe me (I almost don't), here it is:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botafogo_(dance_move)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  kate Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:39 pm

Gosh D&P! Somebody's having a laugh! Rolling Eyes

If we're being cited as a reference in Wikipedia now, perhaps we'd better get more factual and less opinionated? Nah.... that'll never happen.

I did find this Samba instruction video, that includes the Bota Fogo demonstrated at more normal pace at around 3:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwkZucJKKNA&feature=relmfu
Worth watching the start of the video just for Karen Hardy's haircut. affraid
kate
kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya53 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:57 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:Oooh oooh oooh!! The excitement....

I've just looked up Botafoga's on t'internet and after a false start (it directed me to a Portuguese [or possibly Brazilian] football club) I found a bit on Wiki. And guess, what? Right down there at the bottom, in the reference section, this thread is cited.....I case you don't believe me (I almost don't), here it is:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botafogo_(dance_move)

AT last - the respect we deserve (bows to our founders) - now, do you think the BBC will take note of anything we say being as their own blog is so monitered it is meaningless. Fat chance methinks, but nice link D&P Very Happy
Maya53
Maya53

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:48 am

kate wrote:I did find this Samba instruction video, that includes the Bota Fogo demonstrated at more normal pace at around 3:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwkZucJKKNA&feature=relmfu
Worth watching the start of the video just for Karen Hardy's haircut. affraid

Gosh, Kate - that video is too fantabulous for words!

Firstly for La Hardy's Hair (I reckon it had top billing and a dressing room all to itself)
Secondly for the way "my lovely partner"'s trousers billowed and flowed with bounce (I note La Hardy didn't bother to name the "lovely partner")
Thirdly because I can now see that a Botafogo is in fact (to my mind) very similar to the whisk except the leg crosses to the front instead of the back.

Thank you so much for this. I trawled the internet but searched under "botafogo dance step". I got a few relevant ones but they all went too quickly. They were nearly all foreign as well. But this one is a real gem Very Happy
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 pm

Wow, our thread cited on Wikipedia - that is a step up in the world! Are we now famous? Must sign up with an agent forthwith! Razz
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:22 am

Thought Zoe was fab with B.runo on ITT - have to confess as the weeks have gone by I've stopped missing Claud, and wouldn't want her to replace Zoe next year.

Any predictions for the boto fogo challenge? I think Vincent will win, with 75.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  MissingLilia Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:54 am

Thanks for the botofogo clip a la Dame Hardy, Kate! Great entertainment value as well as instructional.

Jingle - agree with you Zoe has really settled well into the role and I think she has great rapport with her guests and the fact that she has been through the Strictly Celeb experience means she has great empathy with them. She's great at eliciting dance related info on technique, for the layperson, as well.

I still love our kooky Claud, but would be equally happy to see either of them present the show next series...I'm more worried about my daily fix of Strictly disappearing for so many months, after the series finishes. I DO wish, though, that they would have an ITT Special where Zoe interviews the winners and recaps all that was great about the Final.

The Pro-Dance Challenge. Vincent? mmmm.... well, he's got short legs and should be pretty nimble on his feet but I can't help but think competitive James, who is a Latin boy at heart, will have been practising in the dark hours of the night, every night...... Wink
MissingLilia
MissingLilia

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 am

Well, I always said that Zoe would pass muster, even if she is significantly different to kooky cl aud, for the very reasons stated. No-one could have been another La Winkelman - she is truly unique - but Zoe had the previous experience of both hosting live TV with guest interviews and of having been a contestant which made a better bet in my iew than many of the other names bandied around. Anyway, glad she seems to have won a few of you over - I like a a happy world!

Pro-dance challenge? I agree James is uber competitive, but so is Artem, and Artem is not so bulky, so lighter/quicker on his feet perhaps? For my money it is between Vinthent and Artem. The dark horse is Kristina - we all know how competitive SHE is......... (By the way, I haen't seen Monday's ITT, so any of the aboe could have been on already and proved me terribly wrong...Off to i-player to find out!)

Edit: my key for the letter after u in the alphabet is currently stuck, so apologies for all the missing ones in words like ha e! (Although somehow it managed a capital one for Vinthent - there, see! Did it again. Most curious.) Anyway, apologies for the missing ones..

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : apologies for missing letter)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  kate Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:43 pm

From what Zoe said on ITT tonight, it sounds like there's just Artem, Brendan and James left to go on the Bota Fogo challenge. That's odd. Did I mishear her?
What about A.nton (surely good for a laugh at this one), Katya, Kristina, Robin and Vincent? I wonder if it's a coincidence that A.nton, Katya and Vincent competed in the Xmas special? But Erin did the challenge and she's in the Xmas special, so that doesn't let them off the hook. scratch
Anyway, I'm backing Artem, of the 3 that Zoe mentioned.
kate
kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Vincent has tweeted that the reason he couldn't do the pro challenge was because he was training with Charlie Brooks for the Xmas Special. His schedule would have had to fit around hers because she'd have been filming scenes for Eastenders (and maybe the limited training time clashed with when the pro challenge was being held).
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Sid wrote:Vincent has tweeted that the reason he couldn't do the pro challenge was because he was training with Charlie Brooks for the Xmas Special. His schedule would have had to fit around hers because she'd have been filming scenes for Eastenders (and maybe the limited training time clashed with when the pro challenge was being held).

That's a shame cos I would hae had money on him.....

It all rests on Artem now.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Wow as i had said before i always wondered if our forum had been
read by anyone from the SCD programme! How fab it is to have our
forum on wiki reference! Well done to our creator thank you

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:59 pm

Ooh Brendan said he loved this year got to dance with Holly & Anita
didn't mention Lulu until Zoe said & Lulu!
A faux paux or his feelings regarding Lulu & her post SCDcomments
re choice of partner
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  kate Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:58 pm

A not very subtle dig at Lulu, I think Sax! Laughing

When is Jason going to wake up? They've resorted to making T-shirts out of his droning platitudes for something to do. Whatever next?!
kate
kate

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:03 pm

kate wrote:A not very subtle dig at Lulu, I think Sax! Laughing

When is Jason going to wake up? They've resorted to making T-shirts out of his droning platitudes for something to do. Whatever next?!

MMMM. They may torpedo Jason with that lot.....BORING!!!!!!
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  kate Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

He's gone beyond boring on ITT for me now, Hatlady, to the point where I want to slap him round the face with a wet haddock to vent my irritation. Twirlie had a magnificent rant about Jason in the Lounge the other day. Did you see?
kate
kate

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Yes, I did. One does wonder though how much the producers push for a specific outcome: editing the VTs. Bringing Russell back with all his kooky charm made Jason look even more drab.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  Little Ms Hit Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:27 am

The only time he got excitable last night was when Zoe told him Alesha had been in the bottom two! Don't worry Jase, it's never gonna happen! tongue

On that note I couldn't remember Alesha in the bottom 2, was it in the semis? Cos I thought there was only 3 in the semis that year so it wasn't really a bottom 2. I'm not sure though, perhaps Kate could have a look in that bubbling cauldron of facts and figures of hers?

And wasn't Brendan impressive on the botafogo challenge and I was inclined to agree with him on the disqualifications! Sad But he'll still be hard to beat.
Little Ms Hit
Little Ms Hit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 32 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20 ... 32  Next