Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2019 Weekly Dance & Music Choices

+4
diamondsandpearls
TANGOLERO
CaledonianCraig
B4p
8 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

SCD 2019 Weekly Dance & Music Choices - Page 5 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Weekly Dance & Music Choices

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:38 pm

mauveangel09 wrote: think all the ingredients are there for him to do a cracking Argentine Tango if he makes it to the latter stages - but hopefully Amy can teach him how to really dance it - and hopefully he will start to learn and step out of his dancing comfort zone - then for me he will have 'come of age' as a dancer.

I hope you are right Mauve and that when the the Argentine Tango emerges, it gets danced as a Tango and not an Argentine Riverdance. Vincent and Flavia had years of professional skill in their A.T. until it was second nature to them, and I'd much rather see a solid dance performance that shows attitude and reflects the dance, as opposed to an attempt to copy such skills. Not that that'll happen if the show's maestros choose lunatic music of the sort they are prone to do. The Duelling Banjos theme from "Deliverance" is mighty fine music, but you don't normally find many banjo's in Tangoland. We can but live in hope. Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Weekly Dance & Music Choices - Page 5 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Weekly Dance & Music Choices

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:44 pm

B4p wrote:
I can't see why a cover of Jailhouse Rock has been used. It doesn't add anything different to the original, and the band will put their own spin on it anyway.

Totally agree B4p. I know it's 2019 and not 1959, but Indeed, if this lot had been played in a ballroom I doubt anybody would bother getting up to dance. Real, "Lets go for a drink instead music". scratch
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Weekly Dance & Music Choices - Page 5 Empty RE: SCD 2019 Weekly Dances and Music Choices

Post  mauveangel09 Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:50 pm

I agree that Alex and Neill have drawn the short straw - I really dislike that track and it is terrible for a paso, which is a shame as it is a dance that suits Blackpool. I heard them say on ITT tonight that all their backing dancers will be female and I have a feeling that they'll be very much going for a 'girl power' theme.

All the other tracks have something going for them - I'm sure Karim and Amy will smash the Charleston - he is already an accomplished Charleston dancer it would seem - from the training clips and the little bit he danced on ITT the other night. I think Saffron and AJ have a brilliant QS track and can quite imagine this one on a big floor with backing dancers - they need to make sure they cover the floor but I hope it is not too fast and furious as to make the quality of movement and steps suffer. A nton and Emma have one of the all time classics and one of my very favourite tracks ever - made for a dream American Smooth so lets hope they live up to it!

Also very excited to see what Gio and Michelle come up with - I so hope that she does not end up in the DO!

Kelvin has a 'feel good' track and 'feel good' dance. Chris for me is the weakest dancer but the choreography looked quite good on ITT.

I think its going to be a tough competition this week - bring it on Blackpool!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Weekly Dance & Music Choices - Page 5 Empty Week 10 Scoreboard

Post  B4p Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:07 pm

Week 10:

Emma and An ton: Quickstep to Sparkling Diamonds by Nicole Kidman
https://youtu.be/-wmq7Ent6Ck

Alex and Neil: Argentine Tango to Never Tear Us Apart by Bishop Briggs
https://youtu.be/nU-0964kOO8

Saffron and AJ: Samba to Walking on Sunshine by Take Me To Rio Collective
https://youtu.be/EPHCORumzjY

Chris and Karen: Paso Doble to Run Boy Run by Woodkid
https://youtu.be/lmc21V-zBq0

Kelvin and Oti: Couple's Choice: Street/Commercial to Do I Love You (Indeed I Do) by Frank Wilson
https://youtu.be/1OvaglT9EB4

Karim and Amy: Couple's Choice: Contemporary to Drops of Jupiter by With Confidence
https://youtu.be/nLc52Xy0Vs4
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:15 pm

I'll let Nicole Kidman off as I like the Moulin Rouge film that it's taken from BUT

Why - just why is some toothy 12 year old picking a cover of 'Tear us apart' which adds absolutely nothing,  when the original complete with sax solo is so much better? Michael Hutchence had more charisma in his little finger than most of the acts attempting to cover his songs.

Walking on sunshine? Another useless cover with gratuitous thong shots.  Getting annoyed now! Evil or Very Mad
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:24 pm

I can see Chris & Karen's working for a Paso.

Not sure about an Argentine tango to 'Tear us apart'. No drama or fire in that one. Alex may struggle this week.

I'm wondering if Kelvin will be doing a nod to Northern Soul with that track which is why I put that youtube clip up.

Karim said his dance was emotional so I'm guessing some sort of waft-fest.

An ton's lucked out with 'Diamonds'. Let's home Emma can keep up with the Quickstep footwork
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:37 pm

My early thoughts are that Saffron may struggle. She is a ballroom girl and looks comfortable in those dances unlike the latins. Chris also will struggle as Paso requires seriousness and we know he loves having fun. However, he does have that strong fanbase so he may escape the dance-off.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Ooh ooh ooh! I am beyond excited! Kelvin and Oti are dancing to Do I...!!!

I love this song. And given it is contemporary/street they can't really mess it it up. I confess I would love to see a nod to Northern Soul (why was this not done at Blackpool?!), but even if it is the more usual contemporary street style I think it will work. But I can SO see Kelvin in big wide trousers and a big-collared shirt doing the Northern Soul thing....

Emma and A nton strike lucky again with a haha marvellous tune for a Quickstep.

Chris and Karen's Paso tune was used for a Pro dance a couple of years ago, no? Some nonsense where A nton was an evil dictator and Gio, Aljaz and Kevin were prisoners and then they escaped. The end.

Karim and Amy's contempowaft is done to an exemplary dreary, contempowaft tune. Expect they'll do well...

That (Rio Olympics) version of Walking on Sunshine is actually carnival and Samba-esque, but I'm already seeing a lot of kitchen-sink-ography from AJ, plus lot's of extraneous props, general frou frou and insane multi-coloured outfits.

I'm not saying a word about the Alex and Neil's tune.

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:49 pm

B4p wrote:I can see Chris & Karen's working for a Paso.

Not sure about an Argentine tango to 'Tear us apart'. No drama or fire in that one. Alex may struggle this week.

I'm wondering if Kelvin will be doing a nod to Northern Soul with that track which is why I put that youtube clip up.

An ton's lucked out with 'Diamonds'. Let's home Emma can keep up with the Quickstep footwork

I think we were typing our posts at the same time... Great minds!!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:23 pm

B4p wrote:
We never did emotional in the ballrooms (bit of smooching to Moonlight Serenade or Nat King Cole warbling "When I fall in love" for the last waltz was about it. Mind you, I once slipped doing a cartwheel in a jive in the Palais and finished up under a table, legs akimbo in a rather painful fashion. That was a bit emotional if I remember. I almost cried... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Weekly Dance & Music Choices - Page 5 Empty Re: SCD 2019 Weekly music and dance choices

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:41 pm

I think it is an interesting collection of dances and an interesting collection of tracks this week (and not in a good way for some!) Some will be taken way out of their comfort zone which always shakes things up. The show after Blackpool is always an 'interesting' one and traditionally one of those 'pulling back on the scores' weeks but that probably won't happen this year, the way things have gone so far.

In the clip that they showed on ITT tonight, Saffron looked like she was doing quite well but I agree - the choreography looked the usual AJ style and the samba that he rolls out every year. However, as he pointed out himself on ITT last night - the dance carries bad luck for him as he has been knocked out with this dance for the last two years...……... Shocked

Not sure that Chris's paso will pack much of a punch - the paso really seems to be dance that finishes off a lot of the male celebs - I think he will need the votes this week and I'm really not sure how Alex will cope with the Argentine Tango - no disrespect to her abilities - particularly with that music. She could surprise us. However, whatever the finished product is like, I expect the judges will be falling over themselves to mark her highly just on the basis that she has been the first 'brave one' to attempt it this year (stroke of genius on the strategy there...………………..sorry I know I sound really cynical).

I'm genuinely interested to see what both the other 'boys' come up with and agree that A nton and Emma have lucked out again on their dance choice and music - I hope that she copes ok with the speed and gets the 'light footed' effect.

I think this week for me marks the start of the 'Business End' of the competition, which will be intriguing this year, however it's also a bit sad because it means it is the last third of the series - can you believe how fast time goes???

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Weekly Dance & Music Choices - Page 5 Empty Musicals Week. Music & Dance Choices

Post  B4p Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Week 11:

Chris and Karen: Foxtrot to Consider Yourself from Oliver!
https://youtu.be/a0a1HYYmiXM

Kelvin and Oti: American Smooth to Gaston from Beauty and the Beast
https://youtu.be/BXbc74XcU20

Alex and Neil: Samba to Joyful Joyful from Sister Act
https://youtu.be/OaEH1e_DLm0

Emma and An ton: Charleston to Thoroughly Modern Millie from Thoroughly Modern Millie
https://youtu.be/yiL6y8BDVA4

Karim and Amy: Jive to You Can't Stop the Beat from Hairspray
https://youtu.be/AZnt-0fEiT0
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Why does Neil keep getting the bum music tracks?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:30 pm

[quote="B4p"]Week 11:

Alex and Neil: Samba to Joyful Joyful from Sister Act
https://youtu.be/OaEH1e_DLm0

Good Lord! This is Samba music now?

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:56 pm

It's very obvious that today's "Strictly" shows are all about number/rating counting people who never danced in a ballroom and the show title "Strictly Come Dancing" is a joke. Fair enough, the great ballroom era a lot of us knew is now restricted to minor groups, classes and a few grand locations (amazingly, most in and around Blackpool, the Empress and not the Tower being the biggest in area) but music and style-wise, where exactly is Strictly at right now?

I loved "Sister Act" as a film, but wtf has it got to do with the national dance of Brazil. Samba is about " dancing under Palms darlings, not "Psalms"...In just the same way the producers try to make Pasos out of anything with a beat or portray Tangos as happening in a Regent Street wine bar setting, they just don't do homework any more; either that or they're all in their twenties and grew up thinking Mary Poppins is a London cafe-latte venue. Grrr...... Evil or Very Mad
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:16 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Samba is about " dancing under Palms darlings, not "Psalms"...

lol! lol! lol!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:50 pm

I think Neil has really been hampered by the music he's had to contend with this year. It makes such a difference to setting the mood.

I'm going to make a sparkly banner entitled 'Stop cruelty to Gingers!'

I also wondered, is Beauty & the Beast a musical or a cartoon? Probably just me, but maybe it's been on in London somewhere (where I avoid like the plague)
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:25 pm

B4p wrote:I think Neil has really been hampered by the music he's had to contend with this year. It makes such a difference to setting the mood.

I'm going to make a sparkly banner entitled 'Stop cruelty to Gingers!'

I also wondered, is Beauty & the Beast a musical or a cartoon? Probably just me, but maybe it's been on in London somewhere (where I avoid like the plague)

Film....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv31pExDX7w
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:45 pm

thanks for that diamonds. I do remember now Emma Watson being cast as Belle somewhere in the back of my mind.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:40 am

Beauty and the Beast was first a Disney cartoon, then a west end musical and now a film.

I’m thinking nothing will save Alex this week, not even the audience.

A samba.
In week 11.
For a non-dancer.
To that music.

It’s curtains I’m afraid and I, for one, will be really sorry to see her go.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:26 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Beauty and the Beast was first a Disney cartoon, then a west end musical and now a film.

I’m thinking nothing will save Alex this week, not even the audience.  

A samba.  
In week 11.  
For a non-dancer.  
To that music.  

It’s curtains I’m afraid and I, for one, will be really sorry to see her go.

Said very respectfully of course, but She'll probably come out dressed as a nun, then whip the habit off, bung a bunch of bananas on her head and emerge as Carmen Miranda; and that'll do fine for all the "sisters" in the audience and viewers. A veritable feast day for the seal-clappers.. lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:48 pm

B4p I love your idea and campaign to "Stop cruelty to Gingers!"  Laughing
I recall Catherine Tate? Doing a sketch about persecution of Gingers and a Centre for Gingers too! Just made me smile and head towards youtube to find it.

Emma poor Hermoine fall from Grace  pale did appear in  a remake of Beauty & The Beast, poor film and best left to animation really.
Tango love your idea of a Dancing Nun turning into Carmen Miranda Wink   Razz  Razz

Samba has to be a cruel dance choice near semi final week.. Plus please please let's have 4 in the final dear Auntie gone a bit potty BeeB!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:37 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Samba has to be a cruel dance choice near semi final week.
Never an easy time for doing a good samba but don't forget the one that Joe and Katya did on Musical week to 'Money'. Still one of my favourite sambas and even more risky as it was so slow.

https://youtu.be/ixazk9DORlM
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:13 pm

B4p wrote:
Never an easy time for doing a good samba but don't forget the one that Joe and Katya did on Musical week to 'Money'. Still one of my favourite sambas and even more risky as it was so slow.

https://youtu.be/ixazk9DORlM

They may just be fooling B4p and suddenly let rip with Edmundo Ross playing "Brazil" instead........well, I can hope... Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Weekly Dance & Music Choices - Page 5 Empty Semi-Final Dances

Post  B4p Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:22 pm

According to DS:

Kelvin  - Quickstep + Paso Doble

Karim   - American Smooth + Argentine tango

Emma  - Waltz + Cha-Cha-Cha

Chris    - V. Waltz + Rumba
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next