Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

+5
fiftynotout
mauveangel09
CaledonianCraig
jingle
B4p
9 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2023

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:01 am

B4p wrote:[b]Week 10.[/b

I threw Nigel a couple of votes. I think Bobby may have escaped the dance-off in favour of Nigel and maybe Angela, BUT, I still think that we could have a shocker e.g. Layton with one other. Despite the judges giving Layton negative comments tonight, I still think they'd save him over whoever else was in any dance-off with him.

This is exactly what myself and my friends were thinking - particularly as Layton was on first and did a dance that wasn't that memorable - although I can see the j udges saving him.    I threw Annabel votes last night. I felt that no-one did badly.  Nigel drew on his acting skills to bring style to his rumba, Angela copped a dance that seemed a bit of a challenge for her but still did a good performance.   For me it is a case of 'draw the names out of a hat' for the dance off..................

So to the show itself.............. Firstly wasn't it all over so quickly last night?   Seemed like a whirlwind being as it was only a one hour show Crying or Very sad Made me realize that we really are at the sharp end now.  I found it a bit of a mixed-up show and a lot going on with some wildly different dances which made me want to watch a lot of  itback again  (which I haven't done yet).  Apart from Ellie and Vito, all of the others are more or less equal for me and I found myself thinking '8' a lot for the scores!   I thought the j udges were all over the place last night, S hrirley criticised Layton and Nikita for the dance 'not being smooth enough' - honestly, what a comment.  In recent times we've seen loads of American Smooths that haven't been particularly smooth but she chooses this one to single out.  I love A nton but he was really annoying me, giving out '10s' like sweeties and then only a '9' and some criticism for Ellie and Vito with the one dance last night that I thought justified a '10'  Evil or Very Mad

Layton and Nikita - AS - 8 from me
At last they do something that was approaching ballroom dancing.   They did a bit of waltz, they did a bit of foxtrot and I thought they used the music really well.  I felt a bit perplexed that I actually quite enjoyed it Very Happy  without being blown away by it.

Nigel and Katya - Rumba - 8 from me
I thought he gave it a good go and the thing that stuck in my mind was his posture.   I thought he 'got' the rumba posture well and I liked the arms and hips.   Actually the music spoilt it for me - it was too dramatic and I would have liked to have seen this routine danced to something a bit more sultry, but I did like it.

Annabel and Johannes - Paso - 8  from me
My favourite track ever for paso doble and such a treat to have authentic music at last. So I was expecting a lot from this and Johannes did make Annabel work hard  with that footwork in what looked quite a difficult routine................. and she executed the feet and the choreography well. However,  as Mr T has said above, matador and cape it wasn't.  I found that her top half was stiff - rather like when Angela R danced the paso.   For me the top half was more in the rigid Tango posture rather than showing more arm shaping and more range of movement throughout.  There was just something missing and  I found myself agreeing with CRH that the dance was 'nearly there'.   I didn't think it was '10' worthy because for me personally  there should have been some stamping of feet and definitely a Flamenco section in there somewhere - as the music was crying out for it.

Angela and Carlos - cha cha - 7 from me
Liked the costume and loved the music but again I agreed with CRH and I thought this was a bit dancing by n umbers.   The feet and legs were excellent and so precise but I think she struggled with getting in the hips and the top half was lacking.  It was like she was still thinking about every move.  Unfortunate to get the cha cha at this point in the contest when so much more is expected than when it is danced in the early weeks.

Bobby and Dianne - Couples Choice Contemporary - 9 from me
I thought this would be emotional and although I wasn't quite as moved as the j udges, this was a real heartfelt performance and  these two have grown on me over the past few weeks.

Ellie and Vito - Argentine Tango - 10 from me
Easily the dance of the night for me and although the music was modern it worked for the Argentine Tango.   Superb choreography with intricate steps and lines, great timing and authentic lifts. There was some gapping but I felt it did not detract from the routine one bit.   This  reminded me of the Strictly Argentine Tangos of yesteryear  Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2023

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:10 am

Mr T and

CC

I hope you are both feeling better today

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: 2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  B4p Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:52 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

She has broken her foot -  right after she finished her Chemo, poor girl, she's still smiling Very Happy
Poor Amy. As though she didn't have enough to cope with. I hope she's with family this Christmas and friends who can fuss her up a bit. She certainly is a prime candidate for chicken soup and pampering flower
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: 2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  B4p Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:02 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:A heavy dose of the flu but here is my take on last night's dances:-

Layton and Nikita (American Smooth): Another professional standard dance but more akin to a show dance. I agreed with judges about it being too lumpy or not as smooth as the dance should be. An observation I have is that since Layton is so good I think they feel the need to take each dance to another level which ends up it straying away from the actual dance style. Exactly my feeling CC.

Well its tricky predicting the dance-off as Bobby perhaps lacks public support but did finish well up the leaderboard. Angela could be in peril along with Nigel (dare I say it) Layton.

I hope your flu clears quickly CC. There are so many bugs flying around at the moment after that rain a few weeks back. Hopefully a couple of weeks of frost will suspend the blighters.
B4p
B4p

CaledonianCraig likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:13 pm

B4p wrote:

I hope your flu clears quickly CC. There are so many bugs flying around at the moment after that rain a few weeks back. Hopefully a couple of weeks of frost will suspend the blighters.

I hope so. My chest is wheezing like an old boiler.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:31 pm

Like Mauve said, the show seemed so short last night. I've got a touch of the post-Blackpool blues and nothing particularly grabbed my attention. Have to say, personally, I despair of the wretched Couples Choice and the sob stories attached to it. Sorry to sound hard hearted, but the whole thing feels manipulative and at odds with the positivity of Strictly. I am even grumpier at the thought that my only remaining interest, Angela S, looks like key candidate for the chop tonight. Just a few thoughts...

Layton - I felt this was one of his weakest dances, and in particular there was something odd about his posture. Really not keen on their outfits
Nigel - an ok rumba, nothing spectacular. As others have mentioned, Katya billowing dress didn't help either.
Annabel - hmm, my third comment about outfits! Really didn't like the yellow and black skirt. Thought her paso was ok but too gentle in parts, definitely not a 10 from me
Angela - well danced, maybe a little spiky for a cha cha
Bobby - sob-story aside, I felt the routine showcased Dianne rather than Bobby. Usually the Strictly singers are ok, but nobody can ever carry that song like Kate Bush
Ellie - good effort but I much preferred Angela's Argentine Tango from last week.

Afraid this years Strictly isn't holding my attention as much as last year, when I was near obsessed with the lovely Hamza. This year my attention took a nosedive after Amanda and Krishnan's departures. But hey ho, that's just the way it goes some years.  Still worth watching.

Get well soon Tango and CC flower flower
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:34 pm

Thanks for the good wishes Jingle and Mauveangel. I hope Angela will be saved, but it's a six slot Roulette wheel now isn't it? . C raig seems to be playing hatchet man to one couple but I don't altogether trust him.  Personally I'd sooner it be Layton departing, but that's just a personal choice and will affect naught. Six left, roll the dice.  scratch

sunny

Last edited by TANGOLERO on Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:48 pm

Week 10

Things are gettiing really tense now. Who’ll go this week.

Layton and Nikita – American Smooth
I suppose they kept pretty much to the style of the dance. Perhaps not smooth enough as Shirley said. Whether I enjoyed it or not is a different matter. I felt it wasn’t really stunning. A bit ordinary despite the changes of tempo. Even in those wide trousers Layton looked like he was wearing a skirt. Despite what I said last week, it’s getting just a wee bit too much for me.

Nigel and Katya – Rumba
I loved this. Nigel was so strong and confident, and Katya was so silky smooth as his partner. She’d created a wonderful routine, but then again that’s what Katya seems to manage to do time after time. What a wonderful opening and closing. A great idea.  I loved Katya’s dress, it really added to the flow of the dance. I also thought he led her wonderfully. After all those good comments, I was stunned that they only got three 8s and a 9.

Annabel and Johannes – Paso Doble
I agree that Annabel’s dress was hideous though my wife loved it and thought it was totally made of silk because of the weight of the skirt. Plus the dance left me cold. I don’t know what the studio audience were so worked up about. I didn’t think it was particularly splendid. What on earth A.nton was doing standing and applauding her I don’t know. Certainly not worth two 9s and a 10

Angela S and Carlos – Cha Cha
I loved the beginning when she was on her own. She really grabbed hold of the stage and made it her own. Those step flicks as she walked down the stairs were definitely reminiscent of Irish Dancing. Sadly when she got into partnership with Carlos it all started to fall apart. Was it the choreography? It fell into nothingness. This was really sad. I’d wanted them to do so well and they really didn’t. I’m afraid the scores were deserved.

Bobby and Dianne – Couple’s Choice
A truly fabulous dance. Yes, Bobby’s best dance so far,  and I can’t imagine him dancing this dance with anyone else but Dianne. It was smooth, it told a heart-felt story excellently. Another Couple’s Choice that I’ve actually enjoyed. Also, I think A.nton’s right, Bobby’s a lovely young man.  

Ellie and Vito – Argentine Tango
Brilliant. Easily my dance of the night. Lacked intensity? Bollocks! Lacked intimacy? Also bollocks! Yes it was clean but tonight it was Motsi and Shirley I agreed with. It was the challenge between Ellie and Vito that was what this dance was about and they portrayed it wonderfully. The steps were intricate and fast and furious. Yes, the dance was reminiscent of Vincent and Rachel. It was at least that good. An exciting joy!

I’ve enjoyed  more of the Couple’s Choices this year than I remember from the past. Mostly it’s just one dance per year with the rest being pretty naff. Even Fleur’s from last year that eveyone goes on about, left me cold. This year, Annabel and Johannes’s was the first I liked, then Nigel and Katya’s was really good, now Bobby and Dianne.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:03 pm

Bah humbug! My only remaining favourite leaves, having been pitted against the semi-professional dancer Crying or Very sad

Also, is it my imagination or do they use that song from Dirty Dancing in musicals week every single year,  surely there's other musicals to choose from.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:50 pm

jingle wrote: Is it my imagination or do they use that song from Dirty Dancing in Musicals Week every single year,  surely there are other musicals to choose from.
I agree jingle. I was in London last Saturday and was amazed at how many musicals were being advertised. I must confess, a lot of them I hadn't heard of, but you would have thought the Strictly folks would have. I guess as usual they are trying to match the dance style to a particular show. One thing that puzzles me is if they pick a musical like 'Tina' or 'Jersey Boys', what is the difference between using that music on a musical's night and on a regular week?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 8 Empty Results Show

Post  B4p Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:08 pm

I'd like to congratulate Matt Flint for choreographing such a great Pro dance on the Result's Show this week. I absolutely loved it. Loved the storyline, the set up, and the suspects, although Gio being a Sicilian got typecast  Razz  I also loved the twist at the end. Just my sort of thing. More from Matt please.  

Was Nancy dancing? Is she better after her Blackpool illness?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2022

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:36 pm

B4p wrote:I'd like to congratulate Matt Flint for choreographing such a great Pro dance on the Result's Show this week. I absolutely loved it. Loved the storyline, the set up, and the suspects, although Gio being a Sicilian got typecast  Razz  I also loved the twist at the end. Just my sort of thing. More from Matt please.  

Was Nancy dancing? Is she better after her Blackpool illness?

I didn't see Nancy but just want to echo your sentiments - loved it. I just want to look like Nadiya............... lol!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:12 pm

So it was always going to be upsetting whoever went out tonight, but as this is an honesty thread I might as well be honest! Last night I quite enjoyed Layton and Nikita's dance and I didn't think Angela was as good as the others (but by a hairs breadth) However, tonight I fleetingly saw the opportunity to be rid of Layton in the dance off but A nton let me down again, wittering on about errors and that the couples didn't dance as well -he should have cast his vote for Angela and given it to Shirley to decide - she was ready to save Angela who I thought danced better second time round.............................oh well............................... My worry is that if Layton does not have the public vote he may well now be a feature of the dance off and will keep getting saved Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad So predictable.

What was interesting tonight was around those who weren't in the dance off. Nigel obviously has more public support than Layton and Angela - surprising. Predictably Bobby escaped another dance off but whether it was a bounce back vote tonight or whether last week was purely a 'Blackpool Blip' we will find out next week................................. I really liked Angela although I felt she never did quite master both the ballroom and latin equally, as this weekend showed. On with the show........................

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:12 am

It was one of the dance-offs that you just knew which way the judges were going to vote regardless of how they danced in the dance-off. C.raig let his mask slip with his advice when he mooned about how brilliant Layton was. Mot.si ihas been drooling ovee this couple since Week 1 and felt An.ton was itching to save them too. For once I would have preferred a bit of honesty and guts from one of them to say: 'I am going to save the celebrity that has actually learned to dance on the show as it is supposed to be the essence of the show - Angela and Carlos'. Sure it would have caused consternation from some who do not understand the show ethics such as the producers but it may make them think more about next year's casting.

I think Bobby won a degree of sympathy votes so would say he is still in peril from the GBP next week. Laton obviously lacks top end public support too but if they both end up in the dance-off I see a repeat like this week. The only dance-off that would put him in peril would be against Ellie in my opinion.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:27 am

Since Christmas is looming, forgive me for resorting to Old Ebenezer Scrooge and saying "Bah, Humbug"...I'd actually love to use a stronger retort with reference to corrida stables, but....How honest can we be?....here goes.

I'm actually fed up of C.R.H. ruling the voting to suit his own ends. He also talks a load of codswallop in his desire to be different.

Am I a Layton fan?  Actually, no. Too many baubles hanging on his Christmas tree that have no place in Ballroom/Latin dance.

My pre-show point about Cha-Cha being harsh when pitted against the spectacular remains.  Everybody loves the dramatic dances, how many would watch a Cha-Cha show? And it came to pass. Adios poor Angela.

Housewives choice as proven to be toothless tiger in his role as a judge. Few know more than he about ballroom yet he purrs like a pussy cat when asked his opinions. He should have sided with Shirley; instead he followed the least two knowledgeable judges and chickened out. I wonder what Erin Boag thought, or if the spirit of L en G would have thrown his y-Fronts in the air and pickled a few walnuts?

None of it really matters because it was all probably more rigged than the Cutty Sark, but it just sets my teeth on edge.

Ah well, on with the motley, roll out the guiloteen. Next. lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:15 pm

So, ten of the original fifteen line up have departed and we are left with the final five who, in my opinion, are all worthy semi-finalists. It doesn’t really matter in which order the other ten exited, now that we’re down to the nuts and bolts of the competition, and does anybody really remember anyway. Les who?

Of the five we have left, I think Nigel is marginally the weakest followed by Annabel. The only thing that separates them is that he dances from the head and she from the heart.

Bobby, Layton and Ellie all deserve to be in the final although I suspect Layton will find himself in the dance off for the next two weeks so may not make it. For me, I’d be happy for either Bobby or Ellie to lift the glitterball.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:23 pm

I've had a look at the possible dances left for our remaining famous five and put them on the Completed Dances thread. It's an interesting list.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:37 pm

I've been away with friends having a jolly old time, so although we watched the show, I didn't have the time or the inclination to write any posts.

I think I forgot to post about Blackpool as well? No idea why not, just... life.

Anyway, Blackpool was fine but not particularly dandy. I wanted Puttin' on the Ritz or a Fred and Ginge AS. I did get a pretty good AT from Angela S though...

...but not as outstanding as the AT from Ellie and Vito. They explained right at the top that it was two people playing/teasing each other, so I've no idea what C raig was going on about; he clearly didn't listen. For me it was as good as Rachel and Vinthent's AT and that is the barre by which I measure all sleb ATs.

I love Bobby but I'm fed up by the manipulative couples choice routines based on dead dear ones. Bobby barely mentioned his Mum, but the producers were clearly trying milk us for tears and emotion. And it worked, on that score. But as a dance it was just a very run-of-the-mill lacklustre contempowaft. And the height discrepancy never not feels uncomfortable to watch.

Angela S ran into the problem with a disco salsa - it's just... meh.

I and my friends were clearly three of the few people in the country that really enjoyed Layton's AS. I would have loved to have seen this at Blackpool. It had way more actual ballroom content then most AS's - both waltz and foxtrot content - and didn't faff around with loads fancy lifts like most AS's seem to do these days. For us, this seemed the most Fred and Ginge AS pretty much all series.

I know you all think he's a pro, but no more than Nigel and a little bit more than Ellie and the two Angela's, and we all know that ballroom and latin are very, very different. Danny Mac was a similarly superb dancer, ditto Ashley Roberts, both with dance backgrounds. But you have to unlearn all the technique used in jazz and contemporary and relearn a whole new set of complex techniques. Which can sometimes be harder than learning from scratch as the old habits are all muscle memory and it's hard to stop your body moving automatically in the familiar way.

Anyway, just as I was afor Danny and Ashley, I'm totally here for Layton as I enjoy watching a person born to dance. The beeb has never, ever said that it was for those without any dancing experience whatsoever - it's had a very unlevel playing field from day one. The Blessed Saint Jill Halfpenny had danced before (and it showed!). There needs to be a mixture to keep people engaged from the first programme. If there were 14 Les Dennis' there wouldn't be half the viewers that Strictly draws in.

And Nikita an Layton are ccontenders for best partnership of the year. So there!

I don't like Annabel and I never will, but I'm (just about) grown up enough to concede that she is growing each week and she did a very passable paso. Not sure her and Johannes REALLY connect, ut he is a sweetheart and will be kind and adorable to anyone he is partnered with.

Nigel is such a disappointment. Like Layton, he has tons of stage dance experience under his belt (award-winning stage dancing) but he never quite delivers. He always falls just that bit short - even with that what should have been glorious Blackpool QS. However, I can't really comment about this rumba because it was a fairly typical rumba so i was in my usual hidey hole behind the sofa, talking to the cat (She has little interest in either ballroom or latin but has been known to prick an ear in appreciation at a particularly feline AT; the rumba she totally disdains).

And so to musicals week... GAH! (Because with the exceptions of Grease and Cabaret, no musical (stage version) has been made that I approve of after 1959. When they start doing a foxtrot to Spring Spring Spring from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, a VW to People Will Say We're in Love from Oklahoma, a waltz to True Love from High Society or a QS to New York New York from On the Town, or anything to anything from Meet Me in St Louis, Guys and Dolls, Carousel, State Fair and of course, Singing in the Rain and any Fred and Ginge vehicle then I might be more enthused)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:05 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote: I did get a pretty good AT from Angela S though...

...but not as outstanding as the AT from Ellie and Vito.  They explained right at the top that it was two people playing/teasing each other, so I've no idea what C raig was going on about; he clearly didn't listen. For me it was as good as Rachel and Vinthent's AT and that is the barre by which I measure all sleb ATs.
I agree about Ellie & Vito's A.Tango. For me, it was terrific and right up my street.
B4p
B4p

Twirlie and diamondsandpearls like this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 8 Empty Week 11 Quarter Finals - Musicals

Post  B4p Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:37 pm

Well, I was so sorry to hear that Nigel has injured his ribs. I broke one of mine in the summer and know how painful that can be. Also, we're getting to the point of needing to do two dances per week and this would just not be possible, especially if lifts are involved. It's such a shame. Out of all the dances due tonight, I was looking forward to seeing his Charleston the most. I wish him well and a restful Christmas. So no dance-off and the scores will be carried over to next week.

Opening Musical - I saw 42nd Street last year and the finale with the chorus dancing to 'One' was spine-tingling

Ellie & Vito (Quickstep) - Not really a lot to say about this one. I enjoyed it, but I don't want to see Belle for at least another 5 years! I was a bit distracted by the extra dancers. 9,9,9,9, (9)

Annabel & Johannes (Foxtrot) - I enjoyed the routine. The song was poignant, but I got confused with this Foxtrot and the A.Smooth Foxtrot that they did a few weeks back. They're melting into one dance in my mind. Unfortunately, tonight's clips are not on the BBC website at the moment so I can't watch it again. 8,8,8,9, (8

Layton & Nikita (Paso) - Dance of the night for me. A Paso-driven show dance that was packed full of steps and attitude. He did a great job. It can't have been easy learning that complex routine knowing he didn't have the public vote last week. I liked their outfits too. 10,10,10,10, (10)

Bobby & Diane (Salsa) - It was strange seeing Diane as a brunette. I agreed with An ton that the pressure was on with that musical, and that the public's focus was all for 'that' lift. He could have danced a polka and no one would have noticed. I think in the film this dance was more of a Mambo with a Cuban twist. I liked how they changed the first lift. It was a shame he missed the second iconic lift. As Cr aig said, Bobby's hands needed to be on her hips. I don't think Diane's dress helped.  I think if she'd just had the net section as a trim around the bottom, then he would have had more purchase, and a better chance of gripping her hips rather than her waist as the lift began. He did alright but it didn't blow me away. I think copying the musical was the priority rather than dancing a salsa. Let's give that track a rest for a few years too. 8,8,9,9, (8

I've read that Amy has had health issues again this week after completing her chemotherapy a few weeks ago. Fingers crossed things start improving for her. This year has been so tough, with such extreme highs and lows.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:03 pm

Very briefly:

Nigel......Really tough luck. Shame he didn't get to dance.

Ellie is a born dancer. the fabu-u-lus darling one loved it but didn't get the 10 paddle out. Vito makes a machine gun sound like Bjork. 9.9.9.9. 36

Anabel and Johanes. Quickstep. Lovely in parts, ( fox-trot..I think?)rubbish music choice and the only thing that toe-skidding drag across the floor does is take a fortnight's life off dance shoes. Did nothing wrong but is the sacrificial lamb here. 8.8.8.9. 33.

Nikita and the man in the pearl ear-rings. Excellent show dance and well done, but Moulin Rouge in French means "The Red Mill, like windmill?) What exactly had is to do with a bullfight? Lots of leaping about, posing and C raig-pleasing twirly fingers solo stuff, but bull in a ballroom it wasn't. Might as well give him the glitter ball now because it's almost certain he'll win it. Biased me, not at all.
10/10/10/10/. 40.

Bobby and Baby..er Diane. A bit of a nothing dance and that er ..lift was purely for the audience. Sorry. Thought the nines were a bit kind. Should have brought Angela Scanlon back. 8'8'9'9' 34.

Till tomorrow then..."bonne soirée". Very Happy

TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:08 am

Very sad Nigel did not get to dance but a broken rib is not something you can dance or even practice with. Like others have said his was the dance I was looking forward to the most of all. A sad end for him and Katya.

I am doubly sad that I found myself full of anger at the end of a show I have held in high esteem. The whole night felt like the Nikita and Layton Appreciation Show. Fine enough but this for two professional-standard dancers it destroys the whole magic and appeal of the show. Now if that wasn't bad enough it was the actual urging and pressuring by supposedly impartial presenters for CRH to award a 10 and seeing Motsi acting like a proud Aunt post-dance clapping away and crying. Totally embarrassing. Sorry the whole sideshow behind this was nauseous enough but for one being a celebrity who entered already at professional standard is even more galling.

Of the other dances I really enjoyed Ellie and Vito's Quickstep. It was airy andvlight with lovely bounce to it too which I enjoyed. Also she had the charcterisation toa tee. The dance I most enjoyed.

Annabel's Foxtrot I felt was a solid enough dance but felt at times her arm positioning was not as excellent as it normally is with her. A fine enough dance but below levels she has set in recent weeks.

Bobby's dance was a decent enough effort and like the way he presents his dances. Like Annabel solid but not his greatest dance of the competition.

I have not added scores in since there will be no elimination this week. Like Tangolero I feel just give the Glitterball now to the Pros and bring on the Xmas Special.. Okay I know the public will decide but they are definite finalists. Sorry if my rant offends but I feel the ethics and appeal of the show are disappearing rapidly for me. Sure some here love to see highly trained celebrities here so the direction the show is heading is for you.....but not for me.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:39 am

Quarter Finals

It’s utterly devastating that Nigel and Katya  are out of the competition before having had a chance to dance again. Such bad luck to be injured at this stage. It must have happened on the Saturday as there was no mention of it on Friday’s ITT. Nigel also said he was high on pain-killers. Maybe a joke, but more likely with an element of truth. I was sorry to see Katya so very upset. She must have thought they had enough public support to give them a chance of getting at least to the Semi Final, if not the Final.

What I was pleased about was that they decided not to do an elimination this week. It’s happened before that the final has only two competitors. It never works well.

Ellie and Vito – Quickstep
For me, there were far too many dancers on the ballroom floor. I found it hard to pick out Ellie and Vito at times and to begin with wondered if they were ever going to dance with each other. Ellie kept being passed around the extra dancers. It really annoyed me. I want to see her dancing with Vito in a Quickstep. It’s probably not the same, but it brought to mind criticism from the judges in the past when dancers spent to much time apart during a ballroom dance. Plus the choice of music did require a lot of extra people, and that’s what I didn’t like. Bad choice of music for me plus the key changes to make the music fit in to the time needed for the dance were awkward to say the least. They danced well when they did get together but I wasn’t blown away.

Annabel and Johannes – Foxtrot
Nice dance. Solid. Not special but not bad. A bit of faffing about at the end but I’ll let them away with that.

Layton and Nikita – Paso Doble
Was it a Paso? Or was it just another Layton and Nikita showdance. I was watching James Jordan’s YouTube crit of the shows and he mentioned that Layton and Nikita’s dances kind of run together and are very similar. I thought this was the same. Wonderful dancing but not much attention to the dance they were meant to be doing.  They indulged more in the type of dance they enjoy and are able to do rather than any other. The judges seemed to all find this wonderful, but I didn’t. Was this a Paso Doble? I didn’t recognise it, and I was kinda sickened that they finally got a 40 for it. I want to see them do a ballroom dance. Properly

Bobby and Dianne – Salsa
I enjoyed this. Bobby moved really well. The big lifts weren’t 10/10 – either of them, but I still enjoyed everything else in the dance. Very much so. He has come on so much. Dianne was pretty brave to let him do those lifts in the first place though she didn’t have much choice but to include the second one because of the song.

I find it REALLY annoying that the pros and remaining celebs keep chanting 40, 40, 40, 40 when someone comes up to the Clauditorium after a good dance. It feels rather like an attempt of peer pressure on the judges.

I really am becoming a GOM, aren’t I. Mrs Twirlie enjoyed the whole show and lectured me for being hyper critical! Oh well!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:39 am

Hi all

I was out last night so missed the show (have not read any of your comments). I did pick up on what has unfolded with Nigel etc - feel gutted for him and for Katya too. This has just made the whole last weeks of Strictly a lot less interesting Sad Still - I am glad that they decided not to go for a 2 couple final because in the years when this has happened I have felt the final show to be dragged out with just too many fillers...........so at least we won't have to put up with that. I'm going to catch up with the show later and will add some comments.......... This has hardly been a vintage year has it?

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:14 am

mauveangel09 wrote:This has hardly been a vintage year has it?  

I so agree - and feel that it has something to do with Layton Williams. The inclusion of a professional dancer among the celebrities was never going to be a plus for the show.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next