Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

+5
fiftynotout
mauveangel09
CaledonianCraig
jingle
B4p
9 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:52 am

No surprise to see Zara exit - it was on the cards.

Adam being in the dance-off could be one of two things - lack of public support or apathy by voters towards the amount of faffing in his dance. If its lack of public support then his days on the show are numbered sadly.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: 2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:28 am

Rant and shipping forecast. Stand by for blasting...lol!

I've returned to Planet Earth now the rugby is finished. The following  may make you think I should have stayed away. That said, it hasn't changed much. What on earth is happening? The term "Strictly" is a joke. Each week the pros let their imaginations conjure up a routine basically around known rhythms under the guise of dance terms. . Sadly, for me, its become further and further away from strict ballroom and Latin in the quest for attention and public acclaim. Even Housewives choice, the modern day Fred Astaire twitters happily away agreeing with the hip-mania Scissor Sisters mumblings as they try to convince us that street dance , rap and hip hop are actually dance to music. Oh, and the light shows...? What are they actually to do with anything except selling sunglasses?

On the rare occasions the contestants actually stick with basics and just dance, they can be judged and applauded. They only do what they're shown after all, so we have to look at the pros for some of the blame. Male dance has become so camp and pelvic and buttock obsessed twitching that it resembles a Carry On up Soho epic.

With the confusion of throwing apples, pairs, bananas, haggis and kippers together in a vain attempt to convince anyone that the contest is about equality and fairness regardless of sell-by dates,  when it's weekly becoming more of a pantomime and media madness exercise by the minute, it's a massive con trick by the producers to gain voted and He is. And we obey him.. okay, it's never been about pure tie and tails and gowns from the off, that era disappeared with D ick Barton and Mrs Dales Diary, but the gravy train is coming off the rails with a vengeance, mark my words. Tuxedos and Palais frocks are just fancy dress today

Now then, rant over and hope you are all well and healthy. On with it, play the music Dave... cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:27 pm

Greetings all. This is a late post since I didn’t catch up with Saturday’s show until just before the results show.

I seem to be out of kilter with some of you but I really liked Angela S’s swan lake dance.  I loved the music, the characterisation, the elegance of the swans.  One teensy weeny little problem though in that I didn’t really recognise it as a paso doble.  Nor did I know what it had to do with Halloween.  Oh well!

I found some of the make up over-powering on Saturday.  The reason I like Krishnan so much is because I can see the joy of dance lighting up his face but on Saturday I couldn’t even tell it was him.  Loved his son’s “hello Claudia” t-shirt though.

Similarly, I have no idea why Ellie and Vito were green.  I’m sure their dance would have looked even better in normal clothes.

Not much more to report really.  Angela R fawned over and vastly overmarked as usual (it’s not helping me connect with her) and the professional couple were brilliant as usual (they won’t win!).

Zara’s time was rightly up, no surprises there.  Adam was always going to be in danger because they split the leaderboard into two and the natural inclination is to believe that the top half are safe.  Wrong!!!
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:31 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

With the confusion of throwing apples, pairs, bananas, haggis and kippers together in a vain attempt to convince anyone that the contest is about equality and fairness regardless of sell-by dates,  when it's weekly becoming more of a pantomime and media madness exercise by the minute, it's a massive con trick by the producers to gain voted and He is. And we obey him.. okay, it's never been about pure tie and tails and gowns from the off, that era disappeared with D ick Barton and Mrs Dales Diary, but the gravy train is coming off the rails with a vengeance, mark my words. Tuxedos and Palais frocks are just fancy dress today

I do agree that the golden days of Strictly are over, replaced by too much pantomime and manipulation (largely I suspect, due to the over-intervention of executive producers and reduced autonomy of the pro dancers)

On the other hand, the clip presented by Aljaz on tonight's ITT was chilling. His looked at how other countries add their own 'twist' to the Strictly format, and the level of tackiness makes our UK version look like high-class pedigree. For example Let's Dance in Germany includes a challenge where the individual judges lead a team dance, and also a challenge where the pro dancers devise an improvised routine in 2 minutes (including a sprint to the dressing up box). Strictly in Croatia features a couples 'Dance Battle' (bit like the dance-athon), Sweden has a team-based dance-athon to get bonus points. And in Slovakia they held a team based argentine tango challenge involving blindfolds. Also in Slovakia the dance-off requires both couples to do a new routine for 30 seconds, on the floor at the same time.  

Have to say, all of these clips looked like cheap manic TV, and give way too much of a role to the judges. Yuk, I sincerely hope none of those tacky format twists appear on our show.

So while I agree with you Tango, it could definitely be a lot worse!
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:54 pm

Good Lord Jingle, that's horrendous. Dance is dance whatever/wherever you go, but the words Ballroom and Latin have always defined our parameters. I've spent a long lifetime loving dance, but gimmicks never figured in it. I felt the same about the Eurovision song contest and stopped watching it when it other countries lost their musical identities and became an English language pop music show.

Being sensible for a moment, credit to the contestants who do very well in the main. Not their fault if the producers "Can't tell a Waltz from a Tango" ..The passing of iconic L en G oodman was more than just a sad time for us all,. It could almost be said it coincided with ringing the death knell of ballroom dance as we know it. I'd love to be totally wrong and see patent leather dance shoes return and kick uncle xxxxhead's cream loafer wedding shuffle ( in the immortal words of Petr Kay) right up the Macarenas.

Dance on then, I'll stay with Mambo Italiano era...lol!

TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:18 pm

jingle wrote:

lol!

Poor Kai, it was even worse than his Sound of Music blond wig and lederhosen

It's almost as if Kai gets the apology outfit to balance out Angela's bumped-up scores.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:31 pm

Busy working, so though I saw the show, haven't had time to post.

Hate theme weeks and hate halloween (with a passion - it's abominable and ugly), so put the two together and I'm beside myself with agin-ness

I will keep it brief...

Hated most of the costumes except Nikita and Shirley (who was clearly BORN to play the wicked queen.)

Meh about most of the dances though I thought Adam and Krishan made a good fist of their ballroom, Layton was on dramatic form and Ellie was SENSATIONAL (she and Krishnan are now my joint favourites).

Was a bit surprised that Adam was in the bottom two given his performance (but I know a huge number of people find his nervous loud laughter very grating are are therefore agin him). No surprise Zara was there and no surprise she was booted out.

Can't believe how overmarked Angela R was this week:

Angela: " It's a really fast dance"
Kai: "Don't worry, I've got this Angela - we're going to slow the music down to almost funereal and we'll be sitting down for most of it. The judges are gonna LOVE it"

And they did.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:11 pm

Week 6 - Halloween

I binge-watched the main show (twice), the results show and caught up with last week's ITT shows this morning. Lots to like, but as our dearly missed Vin thent used to say, it's time to start turning the frittata. Overall I enjoyed the show.

Angela & Carlos (Paso -Doble) - I’m not sure, but I think I liked it. I was having trouble in my head hearing soft music, whilst watching the more formal Paso moves. A bit like rubbing your belly whilst patting your head type thing. I wish Carlos wouldn’t finish with that horrible head-banger move! It was dramatic and complicated so an 8 from me.

Adam & Luba (A.Smooth) - A week of illness and a heavy filming schedule. Thirty-six seconds of stirring the pot before getting into hold. I liked the synchronized arm movements. The lifts were gentle and in keeping with the tempo. Overall I thought it was pleasant. Not sure where Motsi got her 9 from. A 7 for me.

Zara & Graz (Charleston) - 6 for the skeleton costumes.

Layton & Nikita (Tango) - I was dreading the backflip, but as it was only one, and right at the end, I thought it suited the theme. I actually quite liked this bit of theatre. I’m not convinced the changes of leader were necessary, or that they added anything extra, but hey-ho. It would be interesting to see him shifting down into a softer gear, instead of the continual ‘in yer face attack mode.’ A 9 for me.

Bobby & Diane (Cha-Cha-Cha) - The Lederhosen strikes again. I enjoyed this apart from Bobby counting all the way through it. I thought the ‘spikiness’ matched that particular song's rhythm. I thought he did a good job. I’d give it 7. Again Motsi got her 9 out.

Krishnan & Lauren (V. Waltz) - I loved this routine. I thought Krishnan was under-marked. I couldn’t see the Fleckerle or some of the footwork as the lighting was quite dim, but the overall dance I thought was great. I enjoyed this more than the Swan Paso so I gave it an 8.

Angela R. & Kai (Charleston) - She made a few errors, but still got 8s and a 9? They’ve already forwarded her bags to Blackpool. A walking pace all the way through except for the sitting parts. A pedestrian 7 to counter the blatant favoritism.

Annabel & Johannes (Tango) - I agree with An ton that L en would have loved this. Straight into hold. All action. No messing about. Lovely staccato head moves. I really liked this, but generally, I find her automaton style a bit sterile. I wish she could throw a bit more passion and performance into the mix and vary the facial expressions. I loved their Tango so an 8 from me.

Nigel & Katya (Cha-Cha-Cha) - I thought he was struggling to keep up with Katya’s choreography. I loved the drop-drag lift. I liked themoonwalkk, and the tilted head moves. I doubted that music track, but it seemed to work. A complex routine that he got mostly right. I hope Katya can get his confidence up, his nerves are affecting his usual performing skills. A 7.5

Ellie & Vito (Salsa) - I wondered if they were dressed as Shrek characters. She's fearless and talented, and I enjoy watching them. The dance of the night for me. I’m sick to death of that song, but boy did they do a great salsa.  A 9.5 from me.

On the whole, a different sort of Halloween. More murder mystery, than Casper the friendly ghost.

I did like that Claudia mentioned Tommy singing one of the songs, and thanking Dave Arch and his fabulous band. I don’t know the man’s name who sang the Kiss song, but I thought he did a good job too.

As Diamonds said I think Shirl the Twirl was typecast in that wicked queen outfit. Was An ton the Doc out of Back to the Future? Motsi a Black Widow Spider? Cr aig Severus Snape? Cr aig’s obviously gearing up for the forthcoming panto season.

I also loved that Krishnan’s son Jay got his own ‘Claudia’ T-shirt. Great counter-attack.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:30 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Angela: " It's a really fast dance"
Kai: "Don't worry, I've got this Angela - we're going to slow the music down to almost funereal and we'll be sitting down for most of it.  The judges are gonna LOVE it"

And they did.

lol!
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:33 am

With the Halloween nonsense packed off for another year (and if you can ignore the continuous firework salvos), I'm actually looking forward to tonight's show and especially the "ain't it funny" number. Not a Jenifer Lopez fan, but this is special. As ever, I have no particular favourite contestant and just hope there's some recognisable basic stuff in there. Politically correct or no, I so miss Sir Leonard ( God bless him wherever he may be) and pickling walnuts whilst throwing certain items of clothing into the air. If this gets me in bother with anyone, well, frankly my dear...etc. cheers

It's a lifetime ago now since wannabe Ginger Rogers teenage girls dragged me round the youth club floor to "Mr Sandman" and Sophia Loren was dazzling the airwaves of the light programme with Roesmary Clooney's "Mambo Italiano", but not even time has diminished my love of dance. The "Strictly" producers have had a good go, but we still tap the feet when a recognisable rhythm sounds out...Strike up the band Mr Arch, let it rip.. lol!

TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:28 am

TANGOLERO wrote:
It's a lifetime ago now since wannabe Ginger Rogers teenage girls dragged me round the youth club floor to "Mr Sandman" and Sophia Loren was dazzling the airwaves of the light programme with Rosemary Clooney's "Mambo Italiano",

This reminds me, I couldn't make up my mind whether to be amused or disgusted when it was announced on ITT that one of the songs would be "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" by Robbie Williams. Robbie Williams? What happened to Dean Martin? Wasn't it written for him in Ocean's 11? Mind you, I get a bit annoyed when they announce any of the songs "by (the singer's name)" Kick in the Head should really be by Jimmy Van Heusen and Sammy Cahn. How many Sammy Cahn songs have been used by Strictly over the years with never a mention of his name. Sad Sad
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2023

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:31 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

Each week the pros let their imaginations conjure up a routine basically around known rhythms under the guise of dance terms. . Sadly, for me, its become further and further away from strict ballroom and Latin in the quest for attention and public acclaim. Even Housewives choice, the modern day Fred Astaire twitters happily away agreeing with the hip-mania Scissor Sisters mumblings as they try to convince us that street dance , rap and hip hop are actually dance to music.

On the rare occasions the contestants actually stick with basics and just dance, they can be judged and applauded. They only do what they're shown after all, so we have to look at the pros for some of the blame. M

:

I think this is basically exactly what happens Mr T - many of the new pros seem to choreograph dances that 'are in the style' of whatever dance they are supposed to be doing. It is so refreshing when someone doesn't do that and some of the best pros definitely don't but a lot of them seem to be dropping off the tree now one by one. I also totally agree that you can't blame the celeb for doing what they have been given - and yet the j udges often seem to do this.

Much as I like A nton I had high hopes for him as a J udge and I think he was very sensible and often provided a good counter balance to the 'scissor sisters' rantings but he has just got so 'mushy' now!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:42 pm

Sooooooo.....Week 7.

Despite my sometimes unfunny sense of humour there is a serious dance lover under the grease paint, so please believe I wrote my comments before the judges made theirs. Some, I will agree, but they're only my opinion after all. Quote of the night (which made my night) came from Housewives choice to the effect that: " Sometimes, there is an occasion when you forget about all the mechanics and it's just about dance".  How very true. Well said Housewives choice. That rang the bells for me.

Layton and Nikita ( Jive)  C raig and Housewives choice both gave two marks below the gushing tens of the Scissor Sisters. Shirley commented " outstanding" I thought it was decent but 8-ish. Layton is in the contender class, but not neccessarily a winner. 36.

Angela R and Kai. Danced a simple waltz. Too much wuffle about core and frames . " Just dance it for xxxx's sake.." I said (quietly because the wife has ears like a fruit bat). 7 8 6 7 . 28.

Nigel and Katya. Tango. I sometimes wonder if some of the dancers (including he pros) ever bothered learning the history of the Tango. Granted, this was the ballroom version? but it resembled frantic mixed martial arts to music rather than a sensual coming together of man and woman. (whoops, minus a brownie point). Professional looking in a balletic rather than ballroom sense, it would look more at home in a show/musical then a dance contest. Far better than C raigs 7, and the total 7 9 9 8- 33
was well enough earned by Nigel.

Angela and Carlos. This music didn't lend itself well to a Samba as I feared may be the case as it's a long time favourite of mine done Spanish dance style. Square peg, round hole best describes a big let down for me. It didn't flow, but came across as jerky and over quick  in the main, as if they were trying to catch up with the music rather than flowing with it. .  6.7.7.7. more or less tells the tale. 27. Shame. 27

Annabel and Carlos park bench Couples Choice perfectly fitted Housewives choice's "just about dance", but then again, it was perhaps too sentiment loaded for fair comparison as that. 8 9 9 9 . 35.

Bobby and Diane Argentine Tango. Agressive and very ariel for a tango, but I preferred it to the ballroom version as it had a sense of passion that the dance needs. That said, it was balletic again and much better than C raig's silly 6.  6.8.8.8. 30

Ellie and Vito, American Smooth.  Although I arrived late to the forum, Easy to see why Ellie tops the scores as she is a class act. The Scissor Sisters were jumping out of their corsets in excitement. Very enjoyable. 9 10 10 10..39.

Adam and Luba, Rumba. Same old story with Rumba as the producers keep putting it on the menu. Why, oh why, not a Mambo, or can the pros not manage that? Try some of the Rumba athletics on Cuban sand where it's at home rather than polished maple of the dance boards. Again, 6.7.7.7 tells the tale well enough. 27.

Krishnan and Lauren, Couples Choice. Do I sense a new Team Cola brewing here. ? They both had fun again with the male marks the lowest. 6.8.8.7. 29. In fairness I know nothing of this guy as I' a part-time T.V viewer at best. Que-Sera-Sera I suppose.

There you  have it. I'll read the rest of the comments with interest tomorrow.  Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

mauveangel09 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 5 Empty Week 7

Post  B4p Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:18 pm

Week 7
A mixed bag tonight. You can almost feel the pressure cranking up. The judges started off all serious with their comments and marks, but it didn't last long before the scoring became bi-polar.

Layton & Nikita (Jive) - I quite liked this. I thought the side-by-side sections were good. I noticed Nikita danced at the back of Layton a few times which made it a bit easier to synchronise. I think after all these years of having pigeon toes, I don’t think it would be possible to straighten them in the time allowed, yet alone get them turned out as Shirley wants in that Latin 5 to 1 position. Fast and slick. 8,10,10,8, (9)

Angela R. & Kai (Waltz) - beautifully sung by Tommy. Straight into the dance. I’d put in my notes, slight balance issues when spinning, then Cr aig said something similar. All four judges made comments about her footwork. For me, she didn’t look as relaxed tonight. For the first time, some critique 7,8,6,7, (6)

Nigel & Katya (Tango) - I liked this, although I would have preferred more actual Tango in hold. I put in my notes, that I thought he was lifting his feet a bit high, then Cr aig said ‘feet like flippers.’ I hope he stays in a bit longer. 7,9,9,8, (7.5)

Angela S. & Carlos (Samba) - I was impressed with Carlos’ toe-ography in rehearsals, and had to laugh when she said in the Clauditorium that she was too Celtic to be sexy. I thought she looked awkward and gangly like she was going through her Hail Mary’s or doing a penance. I didn’t enjoy this one. 6,7,7,7, (6)

Annabel & Johannes (C.Choice) - Not a dry eye in the house. What a special partner Johannes is. Elegant, wistful, emotional. The dance itself was a bit repetitive, and I think my score was more for the emotion than the actual dancing, but what a brave thing for her to do so soon after her bereavement. 8,9,9,9, (8

Bobby & Diane (A.Tango) - Not an easy dance for a young male to lead. Interesting that An ton & Cr aig both said that Diane was leading, which Shirley disagreed with. For me, it was a bit like an A.T by n.u.m.bers. There were a lot of lifts which disturbed the atmosphere. I didn't feel any passion. A difficult dance and he gave it a good shot.  6,8,8,8, (7.5)

Ellie & Vito (A.Smooth) - Now that’s what I’m talking about. Proper music. Proper outfits. And a dance that ticks all the brief. She did a great job. I think they changed the lift at the end for some reason, but that’s ok. I think in general, there are too many lifts being put in now that just don’t suit the feel of the dances and some that look positively ungainly. My dance of the night. She’s leading the pack now. 9,10,10,10, (9)

Adam & Luba (Rumba) - Apart from the opening cucaracha, I didn’t see any hip action. Mind you, the lighting was dark, as was his clothing, so maybe that hid some hip movements. He’s been ill recently and has a heavy filming schedule. He looks tired and not so bubbly over the last few weeks. I think he may be in trouble this week. I thought Luba did all the dancing whilst he acted as a prop. Reminded me of the old days of O la. 6,7,7,7, (6)

Krishnan & Lauren (C.Choice) - If they’d have put a few swivels in, it could have been another of this year’s strange Charlestons. Synchronised walking. An unusual concept. I didn’t mind it, but it didn't seem like dancing to me. 6,8,8,7, (6)

I wouldn’t like to call the dance-off this week. I think Adam is in danger, but there are so many others with similar scores. Maybe one of those in the mid-table might feel the heat of the red light on them.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:46 am

Well for me that was the best night of dances (quality-wise) of the series. No dance disaaaasters and many great dances.

Layton and Nikita (Jive):- In the pre-dance VT Layton looked like he was struggling but fear not as professionals do it was largely alright on the night. The only fault I'd pick with it was I saw his sickled feet. Felt nauseated by Sh.irley and Mo.tsi's gushing. Thank god for realism from Cr.aig and An.ton. A 9 from me.

Angela R and Kai (Waltz): Another dance you felt that was custom-made for her. Now although it was a lovely enough dance I noted it was all too safe and not much difficulty to it. Obviously, she is not in charge of choreography but its time Kai started pushing the boundaries as she definitely has the talent but it is being bottled up I feel. Agreed fully with Mo.tsi here. A 7.5 from me for a solid but far too safe dance.

Nigel and Katya (Tango): A dance I felt would suit him. I really liked the dramatic start and the dance had very good attack to it and drama (I don't see how Cr.aig missed it). I did not spot any mistakes and thought it was very good. One thing I notice is how Nigel seems to get criticised by the judges most of all. An 8 from me.

Angela S and Carlos (Samba): Although I felt she may struggle with this I ended up liking it. She moved very nicely with great speed and use of her skirt was good. However, I felt the part on her own with her hips were not that great. Another solid dance though. A 7.5 from me.

Annabel and Johannes (Couples Choice): Now normally I feel Couples Choice dances do not serve a purpose or theme but this had it. I did worry pre-dance the emotions would get the better of her but she kept it bottled up until post-dance. She had some gorgeous lines in the many lifts in an emotion-charged dance. I loved it and a huge shout out to Johannes - what a rock and he looked just as emotional as Annabel. Her best dance yet. An 8.5 from me.

Bobby and Diane (Argentine Tango): This dance had a great start. Sadly, I felt the dance was more about Diane as there was not really a lot for Bobby to do steps-wise. The dance had a good atmosphere to it though but it felt lacking somehow. Hard to judge although Bobby did little wrong. A 7.5 from me.

Ellie and Vito (American Smooth): Excellent music to dance to and Ellie smashed it out of the park. A fabulous dance that had great timing, great lifts, lovely flow and elegance. Dance of the night and dance of the series for me. A 10 from me.

Adam and Luba (Rumba): A tough dance to land after last week but I thought he did quite well - better than I expected. My only real gripe was not a lot of floor coverage or Rumba content of great degree which is what An.ton noted too. A 7.5 from me.

Krishnan and Lauren (Couples Choice): No doubting his great musicality and timing. It was a fun piece that showcased more his charm than his dance skills though as most was done at a walk. A 7 from me.

A thoroughly enjoyable night and perhaps Adam and Krishnan teetering towards the dance-off. I feel if Adam is in the dance-off (with this dance) he goes.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2023

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:04 am

Overall I found it an enjoyable show but my major frustration at this point is that for me no-one is really challenging Ellie and Vito and 'the professional couple'. I'll say it for the last time that Gio and Amanda have left a real gap at that end of the leaderboard. I really want the likes of Nigel, Angela S, Bobby and Adam (if he survives) to take it up a notch as they are the ones to me that have the untapped potential. I was hoping someone from the mid-pack would have that 'breakthrough' dance last night but for me I'm not sure that anyone did. Although I liked most of the dances no-one except Ellie and Vito blew me away. There are still too many routines that are solely playing to the strengths of the various celebs and not challenging them. At this point Ellie is the only person who has proved she can do both ballroom and latin proficiently which to me makes someone Final worthy - however, there is still all to play for in the coming weeks.

Layton and Nikita (8 from me) The routine was not for me really although I recognise it was very good for what it was. I don't understand why a jive was danced to a latin track. There was jive content within it but I think it could have looked very different if danced to a jive track and without all the embellishments that we have come to expect from Layton, like the pivot turns that don't belong in a jive. Three cheers for the comments from A nton and CRH. I must admit I am finding this couple to be quite one dimensional now and need to see something less full-on which demonstrates different skills than all the side to side and stage stuff.

Angela and Kai - (7.5 from me) It was a straightforward and elegant traditional waltz with a lot of waltz content to contend with. I think she did wobble a bit in parts and I agree with A nton's comment about taking bigger strides on the side steps but as for the other j udges, I felt the critiques were lightweight, I'm not sure how you can 'let go' or 'be more adventurous' when doing a close hold dance like a waltz as it should be done. A tad undermarked for me and it was clearly Angela's turn to be savaged by the j udges (probably after the over marking criticism of last week). I was surprised that it was Shirley who gave the 6. I did think the set for this one was a bit naff. I thought it would have been better to have some sort of CGI Parisian night sky background. There has also been too many routines this year that start with the couples sitting on chairs at a table .

Nigel and Katya - (7 from me) It was quite good but seemed to have a lot out of hold and I found myself a bit underwhelmed for some reason. I didn't think it was as good as Shirley's gushing comments seemed to suggest although I do think that the j udges have been hard on him up until now. Perhaps it was his week to get some nicer comments1

Angela S and Carlos - (7.5) I liked this although it looked as though they were dressed for the paso that they did last week! I felt that she did get the bounce but it was a bit stop and start and lacked the earthiness that I feel she needs to nail in the latin n umbers. Not a natural latin dancer which I think she knows. I'm not sure that she warranted to be joint bottom of the leaderboard though?

Annabel and Johannes - (8 from me) Beautiful dance with beautiful choreography, expression, lifts and steps. Less like a contemporary and more like a slow American Smooth I thought. I think she was courageous to do this and she did it well. Johannes is a wonderful partner for her and a great teacher.

Bobby and Dianne - (7 from me) Mixed feelings about this one. I think it might be a bit of a 'marmite' dance for some. I think he nailed the choreography and the lifts and was confident - some parts were good but it lacked something for me . I think for a young male celeb it is difficult perhaps to get that illusion of passion into the dance. I think Mr T said that it was a very 'aerial' Argentine Tango which I think sums it up. I always prefer the more traditional music which I think helps convey the right atmosphere.

Ellie and Vito - American Smooth ( 9 bordering 10 from me) That was the dance of the night and one of the dances of the series for me. I was tempted with the 10 paddle lol! What can be said - a near perfect AS with great dancing and timing along with great music, costumes and overall style. Far ahead of the others tonight.

Adam and Luba (7 from me). It was all said by the j udges - A nton being honest again. I felt it was a shame they got this in the week after he had been in the dance off and he looked tired. As always his timing was spot on and I thought he really led Luba well and showcased her. I thought he did do some very nice lines hence my own score, but I would have liked to see more use of the hips and more rumba walks which would have upped his marks greatly I think.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:09 am

I pressed the 'send' button on my post before realising I had forgotten to add Krishnan and Lauren!! Rolling Eyes

Not his best dance for me but it was a fun and different n umber and showed how far he has come as a novice dancer. I get what they meant about the 'walking' but I felt it was interspersed with bouncier bits - thought he coped with the lifts and different rhythm changes quite well. I do like his spirit. 7 from me.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:40 am

Just something I forgot to mention previously re the Jive/Rock and Roll.(Layton and Nikita)

In reality, it's probably the only dance ever that you don't actually need to learn anything about.(unless of course you enter organised rule book dance)  The American servicemen brought it over and made it popular by it's very freedom and in the fifties we could jive to just about anything, any rhythm, fast slow or anywhere in between from Lionel Hampton.s " Chase the Chase, Chris Barber's "Tight like that to Fat's Domino's "Blueberry Hill" and Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade". You made your own routines up to them all.

Jive was /is the ultimate " hear it and just dance" undisciplined discipline that your mother could do as well as you, maybe even better. lol! .
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:04 pm

I haven't heard anything about the results of last night's show. I'm out to see Simon Reeve, the young explorer, this evening, so I will be watching the Result Show when I get home later tonight. I probably won't check in until after that to save the surprise. Enjoy the Results show Very Happy
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:12 pm

Week 7

I thought I'd posted this already. Obviously not as it hasn't appeared. Here goes again.

Some good dances tonight. Some not so good, but it was an entertaining evening nevertheless.

Layton and Nikita -Jive
Yes – as usual – pretty amazing. Why am I not surprised or uplifted by the performance. I think the lack of surprise at the standard of performance is a lot to do with how little I care about them. I remember last year being astonished that Hamza could do the things he could. He’d never danced before but was wonderful. Layton is to all intents and purposes a professional dancer. It’s a bit like watching a couple dance during the singer’s spot on the results show. Brilliant, but unmemorable.

Angela R and Kai – Waltz
Tonight Angela and Kai were pretty tame. There was nothing out of the ordinary about this dance I thought the scores were about right, though Motsi’s was a bit too high. A total score of 28? Not a safe place to be.

Nigel and Katya - Tango
Well first time through I wasn’t totally enamoured with this. Not hugely tango-like. After a second and third watch however, I decided I liked it more and then much, much more. Great choreography – Katya is so imaginative – it was exciting . 33 should keep them safe.

Angela S and Carlos – Samba
This didn’t blow me away at all.  I understood what C.raig said about flailing arms and Shirley said about finding a home for the arms. I also wasn’t convinced that the bottom was working as well as the judges were. I thought the costume did a lot to cover any positives as well as negatives in their dance. Not a great look.  27 is not a safe place to be either!

Annabel and Johannes – Couple’s Choice
An emotional VT was an excellent introduction to the dance which itself beautifully reflected what we’d seen in the VT. She more than adequately fulfilled the aim of such an emotional couple’s choice. On a side note, she looks like she has really lovely and supportive kids. A wonderful family. A wonderful dance, 35 should see them through to next week

Bobby and Dianne – Argentine Tango
Whoever choreogr0aphed this dance did Bobby and Dianne no favours at all. Actually I agreed with A,nton it wasn’t loose enough. It didn’t head anywhere. It did seem to be placed with no interaction between the personalities of the dancers. 30 should be safe, but they’re in the middle of the board. Not a safe place

Ellie and Vito – American Smooth
They were off to a flying start. “Ain’t that a Kick in the Head” is one of my favourite songs so the music was in their favour. Fan-Tas-Tic dance. Slick, smooth, vibrant, their Foxtrot was brilliant ballroom. This couple are totally in tune with each other and they are fast becoming my favourite couple in the show. Also, Motsi’s right. It was the dance of the night without a doubt. It’s a bit too early to be saying it on camera, but yes, they’re definitely finalist mateirial. 39? Well they won’t be in the DO, but C.raig, don’t you think they were worth a 40? I did.

Adam and Luba – Rumba
I wanted this to be good, but sadly it wasn’t totally so. He did support Luba excellently but his foot and leg placements were rather static in the first half of the dance especially. It wasn’t until the second half of the dance that he started to look as if he knew what the Rumba was about.  27 Not at all in a safe place.

Krishnan and Laura – Couples Choice
I loved this. What it had to do with his short trip to Dusseldorf from newsroom to Strictly I don’t know. Maybe that’s what the walking was. I didn’t mind the walking, There have been worse dances with bits of walking in them and it was by no means all walking. There was dancing and lifts too. Did he miss a lift near the end. He looked as if he was grabbing for Laura’s ankle but missed it. C,raig’s right. He lights up the room. 29 – well not safe. He’ll need the audience vote.

Well he got mine. So did Adam (a pity vote, give him another week) and Nigel. I’m liking Nigel more and more. The partnership with Katya is working well. Ellie is another favourite of course. She and Vito are brilliant without the slick coolness of Layton and Nikita. I can see Layton and Ellie being in the final, but who the third finalist will be I don’t know yet.

It was an interesting week with scores all over the place. I have no idea who’ll be in the DO though I suspect Adam will be in danger.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:55 pm

Sorry folks, I'm going to sound like a proper grumpy old so and so here, but the Couples Choice is beginning to spoil my enjoyment of the show. Personally I want Strictly to provide a couple of hours joyous and fluffy escapism from reality, and so I really don't want dance to be conflated with personal tragedies.  Sorry, I know many will disagree,  but that's how I feel.

Also, I absolutely agree with Mauve on this

mauveangel09 wrote: I'll say it for the last time that Gio and Amanda have left a real gap at that end of the leaderboard.  

Without Amanda, my interest in this years contestants is dwindling - am pinning my hopes on Nigel making it to the final.  Anyhow, a few thoughts on this weekend

Layton - very good jive, but doesn't interest me one bit
Angela R - nice to see realistic scores for a change, a rather wobbly waltz
Nigel - found myself watching Katya rather than Nigel in this tango, but at least he didn't make any slip ups this time
Angela S - better than expected, but as others have said, the outfit and music weren't very samba-esque
Annabel - very nice contemporary, but with my reservations
Bobby - eww, this really wasn't my cup of tea, I agree with CRH, I found it aggressive and lacking in cause and effect. I also really didn't like the part where he grabbed her chest from behind, that move gave me the creeps
Ellie -  very good american smooth, but I still haven't clicked with this couple yet. Vito's choreography always looks a bit rushed to me
Adam - much better rumba that I'd expected, I actually thought this was rather undermarked.
Krishnan - meh.. Although he's my favourite, I wasn't sure what this CC was meant to be. Looked a little bit show-dancy, but too much walking

As for the dance off, I fear Adam may have been stitched up. I hope he can avoid it ......will find our very soon
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:00 pm

Hmm. Not sure I agreed with the result but I did think Adam looked absolutely exhausted and probably relieved to be let go.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:51 pm

Come the DO Mrs Twirlie says "Why are the judges voting for that old bag! I can't believe those stupid judges". I'm inclined to agree. I think the judges voted for her because they want her in Blackpool. There's a certain amount of sycophancy going on there. To my way of thinking, she didn't improve, in fact I thought she made a couple of stumbles. I thought the Waltz showed her really beginning to tire. I think she's reached the end of the road.  Adam on the other hand did improve quite a lot. His stances and movements improved considerably. Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

I loved Oti's group dance number at the beginning of the show. It reminded me of course of her Samba with Danny Mac. I also loved the dance/song spot with Zara Larsson and Karen and Nancy. (I've no idea who she is but I liked her voice.) I loved the fact that she wanted to get involved with the girls' dancing. It made the whole thing more complete somehow rather than have her stand immobile on a podium like some of the other singers and just have the dancers dance in front of them.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:38 pm

The fact Angela R was in the dance-off tells us she does not have massive popularity so her chances of winning are zero. To be honest, although it was close I always felt the tougher dance would do for Adam. A safe, comfy waltz is easier to carry off than a male celeb in a rumba.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:51 pm

If you're looking for surprises, watch the F. A. Cup results on T.V. Don't expect them from Strictly. Whilst the standards of dance are creditable, they're also so predictable. Take a public celebrity, probably middle-aged family member with a likeable personality and you're most likely looking at the glitter ball winner. Four professional judges preferring Angela's Auntie Maggie's wedding waltz creditable though it was in its simplicity, to Adam's rumba difficulty-wise tells the tale. " Must get Angela to Blackpool" was so very obvious that even the bookies had a day off.

Given that the producers, probably in collusion with the pros and judges rule the roost, the contestants can hardly be blamed for much, and credited for pretty good efforts on the dance floor.. The long, the short and the tall", as the song goes, is very noble in its efforts at equality as long as you can find a seventy year old of any genetic persuasion , who can do cartwheels, perform prolonged underwater breathing or do the Charlston on a park bench and judge them out of ten against a mid-twenties professional gymnast doing the Tango to "Flight of the Bumble Bee". .

I suppose the best and most relevant question must be as ever, "What's dance got to do with it.? " The Cuckoo Waltz" done as a Pao Doble should be interesting next week. ........Keep Dancing. affraid

cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Twirlie and mauveangel09 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next