Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

+5
fiftynotout
mauveangel09
CaledonianCraig
jingle
B4p
9 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: 2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:22 pm

OK, I can't believe I forgot to mention the opening number. A total knockout! Initially I picked out Laura and Dianne as ones to watch, but then Karen.... Wow! What a personality she has.. such charisma.... and of course - her dancing is amazing. The change of scene into the finale of One Singular Sensation was epic. These guys are so incredibly wonderful. Of course. And it's an absolute joy to watch them dance such an iconic number. Made my night.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: 2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  B4p Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:43 pm

Twirlie wrote:

I so agree - and feel that it has something to do with Layton Williams. The inclusion of a professional dancer among the celebrities was never going to be a plus for the show.

One thing that I shall take forward from this year - In honour of Matt Flint's choreography, from now on whenever I play Cluedo, Miss Scarlet shall be renamed Miss Bacharda in honour of Nadiya Razz lol!
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:45 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:Hi all

This has hardly been a vintage year has it?  

Absolutely not. Such a shame as it had so much promise at the start, but to be honest I was barely interested in watching last nights show, and will probably give the results show a miss tonight. For me, Nigel's exit was the final straw - my interests this year have been Amanda, Krishnan, Angela S and Nigel. I imagine Ellie will probably win, personally I haven't clicked with her or Vito this year. So, not a vintage year in my eyes either, partly due to the premature exits  Sad
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:12 pm

I think if Nigel had done his Charleston, (and it looked great in rehearsals), he would have trumped Bobby and Annabel. With one mark less than Annabel, Bobby would have been in danger of going home depending on the public vote.

I've just realised that I shall probably be away on the day of the finals. I don't think Layton will win. He doesn't seem to have the public vote. I felt weeks ago that Ellie was going to win this year. I can't choose between Bobby or Annabel being in the final.

Looking at the dance choices left to do in red, the two men and Annabel all have the dreaded Rumba as an option.

Layton - Samba, Quickstep, V.Waltz, Cha-Cha-Cha, Salsa, Tango, Jive, A. Tango, Couples Choice, A.Smooth, Paso Doble,
Foxtrot, Waltz, Rumba, Charleston,

Ellie - Jive, Foxtrot, V.Waltz, Samba, Paso Doble, Salsa, A.Smooth, Rumba, Charleston, A.Tango, Quickstep,
Waltz, Cha-Cha-Cha, Couples Choice, Tango,

Bobby - Foxtrot, Charleston, Samba, Tango, V.Waltz, Cha-Cha-Cha, A.Tango, A.Smooth, Jive, Couples Choice, Salsa,
Quickstep, Rumba, Paso Doble, Waltz

Annabel - Cha-Cha-Cha, Quickstep, Waltz, Jive, Charleston, Tango, Couples Choice, Samba, A.Smooth, Paso Doble, Foxtrot,
Salsa, A.Tango, V.Waltz, Rumba,

In summary, the possible dance choices are:

Layton has - Two ballrooms, a Rumba and a Charleston as a freestyle.

Bobby has  - Two ballrooms, a Rumba, and a Latin.

Ellie has  - Two ballrooms, a Latin and a Couples Choice.

Annabel has -  A fast ballroom, a Rumba and two Latins
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2023

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:28 pm

Twirlie wrote:

I so agree - and feel that it has something to do with Layton Williams. The inclusion of a professional dancer among the celebrities was never going to be a plus for the show.

I think possibly the fact that he has had very little competition at the top end has had something to do with it (just my own view). I know we have had ringers for years but this has seemed a bit different somehow and I haven't liked much of what they have done, feeling they have actually butchered some of the dances for what they should be. That said I did actually enjoy what they did last night - and it was 'Musicals' night, but for them it has been 'Musicals Night' every week and I actually feel, like James Jordan, that most of their routines have all moulded into one.....................

So I have now caught up with the Show, and actually I did enjoy all four performances and broadly agreed with the j udges, even Motsi!

Ellie - I really enjoyed this one and I know it had a lot out of hold but there was enough quickstep for me within it and what struck me the most was her amazing balance and the speed of it She is still my personal pick for lifting the glitterball.

Annabel - I would love to see Annabel in the Final - not sure though, it depends on the dance choices for next week. She hasn't been in a dance off yet - unlike Bobby and Layton. However, last night it felt like a solid performance rather than anything spectacular for me, however, that might have been to do with the theme and the music - came across as a bit dreary to me. I found that back of the dress, which had a bit of a bustle, a bit distracting.

Layton - I have to say I thought this was excellent and they did do a paso in there - with some great steps, feet and shaping. I think he did come back very strong from the dance off situation - however, he can't resist putting in some of his own 'twiddly' bits every time and I really hope he gets some ballroom next week, he must have exhausted everything else.

Bobby - I enjoyed this - they danced in a very relaxed way and I loved his solo. He has come a long way - pity 'that' lift was a a bit wobbly but that must have given him a lot of pressure.

It will be interesting how they 'fill' the time on the Results Show tonight - I think they are going to be announcing the 2 dances for next week, but still time to fill?

I thoroughly enjoyed the opening pro n umber last night - reminded me of when I was in a Tap Dance group (a long time ago) and we did a routine to 'Chorus Line' in a show at our local Theatre, complete with the hats.......... good memories Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:15 pm

For once (and once only) the show organisers have my sympathy at the task Nigel's injury left them with. Must have caused utter panic especially still pretending it was two shows on different nights. the "Sunday" show was a real hotch-potch affair, as obviously they hadn't allowed for accidents happening. Credit to the pros for carrying the can so well. Shirley called it "Strictly Ballroom" which it no longer is and the whole format needs a changes. Nobodies fault, but a busted balloon nevertheless. Sleep
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:12 pm

I enjoyed the Results Show, especially the opening Pro dance.

So over the next week, the semi-finalists will be learning two dances:

Layton - Rumba and Charleston

Annabel - Salsa and V.Waltz

Bobby - Paso and Quickstep

Ellie - Cha-Cha-Cha and I believe their Couples Choice.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2023

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:48 pm

I forgot to post on Sunday night - I really enjoyed the 'My Fair Lady' opener from the pros.
Apart from that, there wasn't much dancing (of course) and it got a bit hard going, but they only had short notice to cobble something together and I quite enjoyed the interviews with the couples as I haven't been watching ITT this year. I also enjoyed the 'Fishermans Friends' lot on the Saturday show........................

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:03 pm

Maybe this will keep you going between shows.. Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jExR1MRL3GU
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

mauveangel09 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 9 Empty Week 12 - Semi Finals

Post  B4p Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:22 pm

Round 1
Bobby & Diane (Quickstep) - I enjoyed this. I thought he did really well. He was leading, driving Diane around the floor. Unlike Cr aig, I saw some swing and sway. I’ve also loved seeing the tailsuits this year and a fine display of dinner jackets and waistcoats. 9,9,10,10, (10)

Layton & Nikita (Rumba) - It’s always dodgy for a male celebrity to do a Rumba, particularly this late in the series. Considering Layton seems to prefer the fast and furious styles, I thought it was emotional, fluid and balletic. I agreed with Cr aig that he could have used a bit more hip action which seemed intermittent at times. I agreed with Layton that it had a ‘peaceful’ vibe. I quite liked it. 9,9,9,9, (9)

Annabel & Johannes (Salsa) - Too much time spent in the air for me. I think it detracts from the rhythm of the dance. I’m just getting into it and UP she goes again. It was ok but it didn’t blow me away. 8,8,8,8, (8

Ellie & Vito (Cha-Cha) - I liked the choreography, the light and shade, the movement around the floor, the story. I thought she did a great job. How Vito managed to dance in those sprayed-on trousers. 9,10,9,9, (9)

Round 2
Bobby & Diane (Paso Doble) - Not an easy dance to learn, especially in 2-3 days. I liked the attitude. I thought his hand shaping has been much better this week. I would have liked to have seen more exaggerated Spanish lines through the body and arms, but I think in the time allowed learning 2 dances he gave it a good shot. 8,9,9,9, (8

Layton & Nikita (Charleston) - Fast and furious. Very entertaining. I loved it, especially the ‘wheelbarrow’ lift. A great fun Charleston. 10,10,10,10, (10)

Annabel & Johannes (V.Waltz) - Very pleasant and pretty. Graceful. I liked the choreography. Nice that it was JoJo’s favourite song for a change. Not sure why Carlos was almost in tears in the Clauditorium. 8,8,8,9, (8

Ellie & Vito (Couples Choice) - I don’t think Couples Choice should be done in the Semis. Save them for the show dances if and when they get through to the final. It wasn’t really my scene. Like the music, it seemed a bit of a mash-up. I wouldn’t know how to judge something like that. 9,9,10,10, (8.5

T ess seemed to have verbal diarrhoea again. I really don't want to hear her opinion when the judges are trying to give theirs.
I wasn't keen on the judges trying to big up Annabel and then giving her lower scores. Was that to persuade Jo Public to throw her some extra votes?
Good to see Amy back in the Clauditorium.

Looking forward to the Pro dance tomorrow night.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:02 pm

Saving my comments for tomorrow but I'll just have to give D.O.T.N. to Layton and Nikita's Charlston. Not my favourite couple or my favourite dance, but no denying quality and that was a class act. Fast, furious and perfectly synchronised. Great choreography and fully deserved the 40 score.

Shirley said "Don't be led by scores, vote for your favourites".  Hope she meant dancers not celebrities. Shocked Personally, I don't care who wins but think Ellie deserves it based on overall performance. Sadly, I think Anabel will be saying adios. Like a Star @ heaven

Till man~ana then ....... pirat
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:41 am

It seems as though we have reached the semi-final very quickly! It was great to see two dances tonight from the couples, personally the two dances that blew me away were Bobby's Quickstep and Ellie's Cha Cha.

Round 1

Bobby and Dianne - Quickstep
I loved this - a gangly kid has transformed into a dancer. He really moved across the floor and I no longer noticed the height difference. I felt this dance showcased just how much he has learned, progressed and matured through the competition. Loved the choreography along with Dianne's dress and thought the tails suited Bobby.

Layton and Nikita - Rumba
This was in and out of Rumba for me. There was some rumba content in there but his feet were completely wrong for me - it was interesting that the judges found it 'too hard and punchy', for me it was the opposite and was too balletic and nearer to a contemporary n umber. I think he is accomplished in his style and struggles to adapt to others.

Annabel and Johannes - Salsa
She's not a natural latin dancer but I felt she gave this all she could. The lifts and splits were brilliant, more so than the actual salsa beats and steps.

Elie and Vito - Cha Cha
One of my dances of the night. There were so many layers to what for me was a complex routine which was dance flawlessly. A 10 from me although not all the j udges saw it that way.

Round 2

Bobby and Dianne - Paso
Good, but didn't quite pack the punch of his first dance. The music didn't particularly help. I think 8 was a fair score for this.

Layton and Nikita - Charleston
This certainly wasn't the best Charleston ever seen on Strictly - sorry Shirley, and the other hysterical j udges! This was a very good Charleston but there have been so many hot and brilliant Charlestons over the years - I didn't feel this was particularly one of them, although I'm sure we'll all have our own opinions..................
It was enjoyable and I felt it was a different Charleston, a 'film' type Charleston in the vein of Astaire/Kelly, the choreography was very clever.

Annabel and Johannes - Viennese Waltz
I was so willing this to be brilliant, unfortunately it did not blow me away but I felt it was a little undermarked. I thought it was gentle, elegant and smooth and I felt it really showed what a great partnership they have had and how far Annabel has come.

Ellie and Vito - Couples Choice
I don't agree with Couples Choice being in the semi-final and in this respect I did think this was more like a Showdance, so it was disappointing in that regard. But the actual dance was excellent and for me it helped cement Ellie as the most deserving of lifting the glitterball. I think she has shown great versatility throughout the contest and I thoroughly enjoyed this routine.

Every year I have watched Strictly I have felt that the person who wins should be equally proficient in latin and ballroom. For me that person this year is Ellie. Annabel has done really well and I have loved watching her progress through the contest but I did feel she was the weakest tonight - however, she has never been in a dance off. Bobby and Layton have both been in the dance off before - I would be happy to see Bobby in the Final, but should Layton be in the dance off I think any of them who end up being against him will be toast unfortunately Sad Good luck to all of them.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:36 am

Here is my frustrated summary of the semi-final.

First Dances

Bobby and Diane (Quickstep): I always felt this had great potential when I saw the music for this dance. I always love a bit of traditional music and this is it. Could he deliver? Yes he did in what, for me, was his best dance of the series as it cut out contemporary stuff which Diane's routines have always done this series. A 9 from me.

Layton and Nikita (Rumba): Very decent effort but a little stop-start for me and like C.raig said lacked hip action to any great degree. An 8.5 from me.

Annabel and Johannes (Salsa): It felt it could prove to be a tough dance for her. She really gave it attack but the mistake on the floor spin cost her but there were some great lifts. A 7.5 from me.

Ellie and Vito (Cha Cha): A dance that I felt would suit her. Oh yes it had the music, a lovely feel to it, lovely straight legs and steps were spot on in a dance in which she exuded confidence. A 9 from me.

Second Dances

Bobby and Diane (Paso Doble): A dance I felt would test his posture and hand positioning but no need to worry. I liked the setting and he danced it very well with good attack and stayed in character for the whole dance. A very mature performance. A 9 from me.

Layton and Nikita (Charleston): A dance that felt would suit him as far less rules to adhere to. This was the dance I have most enjoyed from him (perhaps as no rules anything goes). Again though things gated post dance from the judges. Best Charleston ever? No. And Motsi on about him being best dancer she has seen on all the dance shows she has judged on - jeez you mad bint that is because he has had years of training which others haven't. A 9 from me.

Annabel and Johannes (Viennese Waltz): A dance that would suit her I felt and it did. She had beautiful rise and fall, grace, excellent head and arm positioning and dance had great feeling. It also got high praise from the judges and then was way undermarked for me. The judges clearly wanted to do everything to rule her out of the final. A 9 from me.

Ellie and Vito (Couples' Choice): As always a difficult dance to judge but I like how it had different stages to it. Synchronicity was very good and what a spectacular lift and spin too. A 9 from me.

If ever you wanted an example of empty sound bytes from the judges and double standards you got it tonight. They all harped on about how far Annabel had come and Sh.irley stating she epitomises what Strictly is about (well thanks for the confirmation so what is Layton doing there) in that she came onto the show and could not dance but has learnt and grown. Great that is exactly why I watch the show but Annabel will exit tonight and a highly trained dancer will be in the Final which Sh.irley et al seems to welcome. True hypocracy right there.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:43 am

I dipped in and out of the show last night so didn’t see all of the dances but managed to catch a few, one of which was Layton and Nikita. Hmmmmm….

There’s a part of me that thinks that if Layton hadn’t been in Strictly this year then I wouldn’t have got to see a truly splendid Charleston.

But a (much larger) part of me still thinks this is not the show for him. He is simply too accomplished, too polished, too damn good! I’ve said it before - yes, he can dance, but of course he can, IT’S HIS DAY JOB.

And hubby made an excellent point. With Layton in the competition, we’ve missed the chance to see another contestant grow and develop. So I’m still firmly on the side of “he shouldn’t be there”.

Another dance I saw was Ellie’s cha cha. Now, this is what the show is all about. Yes, she may have been to stage school as a kid but she’s an actress (a very young actress) not a dancer. Her dancing reflects the commitment she and Vito have made to the competition and each other. She has improved so much from the early days and that cha cha genuinely was one of the best I’ve seen, exquisite.

In my (not inconsiderable) years on this planet I haven’t learnt that much really but one thing I do strongly believe is that being technically the most proficient at something (not just dancing) does not make you the best at it. The constant strive for ‘perfection’ can mean that you sometimes miss out on the emotion. We forget to stop and savour the moment, enjoy the process, smell the roses, be an imperfect lovable human being……
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:52 am

fiftynotout wrote:
Another dance I saw was Ellie’s cha cha.  Now, this is what the show is all about.  Yes, she may have been to stage school as a kid but she’s an actress (a very young actress) not a dancer.  Her dancing reflects the commitment she and Vito have made to the competition and each other.  She has improved so much from the early days and that cha cha genuinely was one of the best I’ve seen, exquisite.

……

Yes I agree - that was genuinely one of the best Cha Chas I have seen on Strictly - but strangely a bit underplayed by the j udges in their bid to stop Ellie gaining on Layton

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Layton and Nikita (Charleston): A dance that felt would suit him as far less rules to adhere to. This was the dance I have most enjoyed from him (perhaps as no rules anything goes). Again though things gated post dance from the judges. Best Charleston ever? No. And Motsi on about him being best dancer she has seen on all the dance shows she has judged on - jeez you mad bint that is because he has had years of training which others haven't. A 9 from me.

Annabel and Johannes (Viennese Waltz): A dance that would suit her I felt and it did. She had beautiful rise and fall, grace, excellent head and arm positioning and dance had great feeling. It also got high praise from the judges and then was way undermarked for me. The judges clearly wanted to do everything to rule her out of the final. A 9 from me.

If ever you wanted an example of empty sound bytes from the judges and double standards you got it tonight. They all harped on about how far Annabel had come and Sh.irley stating she epitomises what Strictly is about (well thanks for the confirmation so what is Layton doing there) in that she came onto the show and could not dance but has learnt and grown. Great that is exactly why I watch the show but Annabel will exit tonight and a highly trained dancer will be in the Final which Sh.irley et al seems to welcome. True hypocracy right there.

Very well put CC - Some of my friends got very hot under the collar about how the j udges all bigged up Annabel and then scored low to try to rule her out of the Final - as you say.
I had to laugh at your comment about Motsi's words lol!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:05 pm

Time for the Sunday rant..Very Happy

For not exactly the first time, and after being a lifetime dance lover, I find myself asking "Just what am I watching here? On the tin it says "Cha-Cha, Paso Doble,  Samba etc, which should mean an assembly of T.V celebrities learning to dance over a couple of months, with a glitterball for who learns best. Open the tin and out pops a team of svelte professional dancers teaching Choreography fantasies rarely if even seen in amateur dance classes the world over.  In truth, neither ballroom or Latin dance basics will probably ever figure again in the lives of those who hold up a copy of T.V.Times magazine and swear hand on left buttock they've had the time of their lives. Get Uncle Charlie or Auntie Edna to get any of them up at a family wedding "take your Partners" do , well, that is is if Beyonce, Coldplay or "Hip-hop your flip-flop" music doesn't dominate the boom-box music choice, and watch the bewildered expressions and.."0h, Nikita didn't do it like that!".  

So, you say, and what has all that to do with last night's show?  Not a lot, is the answer, and thereby hangs a tale. I felt Bobby got the best of dance choices (on the night) with ballroom  and Paso Doble. Yes, they were more than competent enough to be praiseworthy for performance, especially his Fred and Ginger quickstep, and if Shirley and A nton are happy with ballroom, you have to listen, (I thought he was a bit stiff-necked) but he looked like he'd swallowed a lemon in the Paso and it wasn't a winner for me.

Nikita and Rumba, my views are unchanging on in this type of competition, more so from the balletic demo, but the excellent Charlston (as entertainment) was full of clever choreography and great syncopation and fully deserved the marks for that.

Anabel and Johannes, Salsa. Anabel has done really well in the learning but I fear she is just a little short of the pzazz needed for the final at this level. Her Viennese waltz more than proved she has learned to dance. deserves a big "Well Done" but the emotional stuff is better suited in a studio interview than a dance floor. Think it's goodbye time.

Ellie and Vito. Cha-Cha...

Mambo Italiano is a rhythmic mambo that didn't feel right as a twitchy Cha-cha. They seemed to be rushing through music that is just made for swing and sway (Watch Sophia Loren's film clip of it and see a room full of folk dancing it). If the rhythm doesn't make you want to dance, it's wrong. It was. Music made to fit the dance rather than dance made to fit the music. Ellie, of course made a job of it as she does, but ..well, she's a winner anyway for me. Her great to watch "Couple's Choice" (another professional show-off exercise) proved the point.

So, rant over and, as I said last night, I care not who wins as the G.B.P are s flexible as a conga eel. Good luck to them all.
"If youre gonna be a square, you ain't a gonna get nowhere".  Hey Mambo..! lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:10 pm

"being technically the most proficient at something (not just dancing) does not make you the best at it."

Perfectly put Fifty, as many a potentially gifted youngster has given up the art due to their parent's desire for them to "be the best" will tell you. cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:49 pm

fiftynotout wrote:

And hubby made an excellent point.  With Layton in the competition, we’ve missed the chance to see another contestant grow and develop.  So I’m still firmly on the side of “he shouldn’t be there”.

Absolutely agree. While we've always had a few ringers every year, I do feel Layton's inclusion has gone a step too far. On top of that, it's unfortunate that Amanda's early exit has resulted in a three rather than four couple final, further limiting the spaces available to the learners/improvers.

Confess I felt a little detached watching last nights show - alas, all my favourites have gone Sad I expect Ellie will win, can't put my finger on it but I don't find her dances very interesting.

Haven't seen any spoilers but unless there's a shock-horror dance off tonight then it seems more than likely to be Annabel leaving (I too thought her vienesse waltz was undermarked, although it wasn't the wow dance I'd been hoping for)

One last thought - I really wish that all couples must do a ballroom and a latin in the semi final. And definitely not a couples choice either.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:01 pm

Agreement from me too. Layton will probably sob his way to the bauble, but it's nice to know there are those who won't be happy. Then again, the whole show is hardly, "One heart, one mind" is it? study
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:17 pm

Semi Finals

With maybe one exception, the standard tonight was pretty high. I didn’t always liked the dances, but there’s no doubt they were well done.

1st Dances
Bobby and Dianne – Quickstep
This was fast! But he managed to keep up. I thought it was much, much better than I expected. Nimble and shapely. He’s improved so much. I loved it. They were obviously enjoying themselves so much and it undoubtedly communicated itself to the audience. I loved Dianne at the end of the dance, That lassie just couldn’t contain herself, she was so pleased!

Layton and Nikita – Rumba
Well they slowed down a bit but they couldn’t resist the fast moves. I didn’t find it exciting or emotional at all. It all seemed still a bit jerky. They just can’t help themselves. Not for me.

Annabel and Johannes – Salsa
What a shame she fell over. Mind you she didn’t really make the grade in any case I didn’t think. The lifts were ambitious but not really successful. There was always something very careful about putting her back down on the ground. It was a shame, but this definitely wasn’t her dance.

Ellie and Vito -  Cha Cha
Sharp and slick as usual from Ellie and Vito. Beautiful dancing and great straight legs. I thought C.raig was right though in his comment about it being too polite. I wondered if it was missing a little Latin feel.  It was perhaps too “English girl dancing a Latin dance”? It just didn’t let loose as much as I felt it should have from these two.

2nd Dances
Bobby and Dianne – Paso Doble
I absolutely loved this. It’s easily the strongest I’ve seen Bobby dance and he didn’t hold back at all.  So often the Paso is hammed up, either that or just not committed enough. Bobby and Dianne didn’t fall into these traps. Their Paso was entirely committed and utterly believable. Not hammy at all even with the camp drag along the floor at the end.  I loved the music, the costumes and Dianne’s hair - and of course the dance. A great number. This may not have been the best dance of the night, but it was easily my favourite. This was my dance of the night.

Layton and Nikita – Charleston
A great Charleston. Very inventive and they deserved their 40 but I’d seen most of the tricks before. For instance the double cartwheel was straight out of the Mungojerrie and Rumpleteaser section of “Cats”.  You can see that easily on YouTube. Was it the best Charleston ever? No, I don’t think so. Not for me. I still prefer Danny Mac and Oti’s Charleston.  Not my dance of the night even with a 40? No, It was brilliant but it didn’t light my fire the way Bobby and Dianne’s Paso did.

Annabel and Johannes – Viennese Waltz
Beautiful, but sadly not very exciting. With all the other fiery dances on show tonight, this was a definite damp squib. VWs aren’t easy to both do or create a stir. I felt this definitly didn’t create a stir. Johannes was very eloquent in the Clauditorium after the dance.  It set off poor Carlos yet again. He’s a real softie, isn’t he.

Ellie and Vito – Couple’s Choice
Was this meant to have a story or some sort of reference? I couldn’t see it. To me was yet another Couple’s Choice where the couple had gone out to a disco for a dance! These are the worst types of Couple’s Choice and I find nothing attractive in them. Ellie and Vito’s worst dance of the series as far as I was concerned. If this had been the final, they wouldn't have got any votes from me for that dance.

A mixed bag then tonight. The judges favoured Layton and Nikita most, but my favourites in both dances were Bobby and Dianne.  Annabel and Johannes had that unfortunate fall in the first dance, and their Viennese Waltz was less than inspiring. Ellie and Vito, normally my favourites, let me down tonight. The Cha Cha was slick but not very passionate, and their Couple’s Choice….well less said the better. I think Ellie will still get through to the final with Layton. As to whether the third spot goes to Annabel or Bobby, well who knows. I think they’ll both be in the DO. I’ll go and read what everyone else thinks now.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:10 pm

jingle wrote:

One last thought - I really wish that all couples must do a ballroom and a latin in the semi final. And definitely not a couples choice either.

I completely and utterly agree, jingle. Lets tighten things up as we near the end of the series. It's a Latin and Ballroom competition after all.

On a side note, did anyone notice A.nton use the word "Fluffer" in one of his comments. I nearly died laughing. Look it up on Wikipedia
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:13 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Here is my frustrated summary of the semi-final.

Layton and Nikita (Charleston):  Best Charleston ever? No. And Motsi on about him being best dancer she has seen on all the dance shows she has judged on - jeez you mad bint that is because he has had years of training which others haven't.
Best comment of the week - almost spat my tea out  Razz

I agree Annabel was undermarked but I saw this as maybe a way of gaining her some sympathy votes to keep her safer.

I haven't seen any spoilers so I'm still in the dark.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:12 pm

And that, my friends, is how you make an exit speech on Strictly Come Dancing. Annabel was graceful, sincere and heartwarming. She certainly had the fifty household in tears.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

CaledonianCraig likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:12 pm

fiftynotout wrote:And that, my friends, is how you make an exit speech on Strictly Come Dancing.  Annabel was graceful, sincere and heartwarming.  She certainly had the fifty household in tears.

Absolutely.

Celebs like Annabel in Strictly are the essence of the show and why I became a fan. A true learner who overcame nerves, inhibitions and technical flaws to blossom into a dancer. A shame that is gettingbincreasingly lost on so many - most of all the recruitment team of Strictly.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next