Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

+5
fiftynotout
mauveangel09
CaledonianCraig
jingle
B4p
9 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: 2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:42 am

First up what a great night of quality dances in Blackpool. A little too many 10s scattered around for my liking though and the Layton and Nikita show is fast eroding my love for the show.

Bobby and Diane (Jive): The music didn't really suit the dance but he danced what he was given really well. Only thing was would have liked more retraction on the kicks. It lacked the 'wow factor' for me and although it was very good it was not his best routine. I am feeling that Bobby is being hindered by Diane's choreography - she just isn't tapping on to or using his strengths that well. He is technically a better dancer than Nigel but I much prefer Nigel's routines. An 8 from me.

Angela R and Kai (American Smooth): I quite liked this. The music was ideal and generally danced it well but felt it was lacking energy and dynamism compared to the energy packed other routines. Technically good but I think her energy levels are now very low. An 8 from me.

Layton and Nikita (Couples' Choice): I did like the stunt at the start and then it degenerated into spells of pole dancing. I knew the judges would love it but it contained much I didn't like such as sleazy pole dance-element, the ramming down our throats of their sexual orientation and the gushing from the judges to finish. Do the judges not get that the viewers are not mugs - they can spot a trained dancer when they see one and that is what Layton is. To me this couple are like an interlude we get in the semis or final when two pros dance together between the competitive dances. An 8.5 from me.

Annabel and Johannes (American Smooth): A divine start and they carried this on throughout. She really has improved so much in the last couple or three weeks. I loved her arm positioning which is so precise and correct and she now uses those lovely long legs very well. Only fault I saw was a bit of gapping at the start. A stylish dance that was my favourite of the night up until this point. A 9 from me.

Ellie and Vito (Charleston): A Charleston with a difference and I loved it. Energy, mind-blowing lifts (breath-taking even) and she had great swivel. Her acting skills came into play too with the facial expressions helping to sell the dance. Another classic dance from this couple. A 9.5 from me.

Angela S and Carlos (Argentine Smooth): I loved the atmospheric feel generated by both the lighting effects and red glowing sticks and the couple themselves. Angela S really attacked this and technically it was her best dance yet as she coped very well with intricate step sequences and was pleased she got the recognition for it from the judges. A 9 from me.

Nigel and Katya (Quickstep): The last dance of the night with fantastic music so I expected much. The dance really suited him as did the theme but he just could not eradicate niggling errors (apparently) which I couldn't see. Loved the routine but with errors it gets marked down to an 8.

Well the dance-off will be a nail-biter I feel. Something tells me Angela R's time is up. I think she'll be in the dance-off with maybe Nigel and if Nigel eradicates the errors his routine wins out. It will be interesting to see who ends up in the dance-off and how the judges vote. Sorry if my views on Layton and Nikita offend but I cannot lie.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: 2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread

Post  jingle Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:39 am

An enjoyable evening, although it felt very short to me (I'm still grumping about Amanda's departure, it's left a gap in more ways than one)

Bobby - a good enough jive but I do agree with CC's comment about Dianne's choreography. Parts of this routine felt repetitive to me, there weren't any  adventurous moments

Angela R - so, she served her purpose and there were plenty of nods to the golden days of Blackpool, but I would've much, much preferred to watch Krishnan take the floor than Angela. A nice enough american smooth although a little stooped in places, and surely a cert that she'll be leaving tonight

Layton - not a fan of the pole dancing, I agree with CC's comments that it came across as a little sleazy. It galls me that a trained dancer will most certainly take one of the places in the final (and one of 3 rather than 4 places, due to Amanda's exit). Didn't like this routine, didn't like the pleather outfits or the clompy boots. I did notice a slight synch issue near the start, and felt CRH was right to deduct a point

Annabel - a lovely flowing american smooth. My only reservation was that she seemed grim-faced throughout - probably concentrating so much on the steps, but it made her look tense. But lovely arm extensions, and probably her best dance yet technically

Ellie - great routine but too much like a showdance to me. As Mauve says, it was a mish mash of styles, and in my opinion it was too much about the lifts and less about the charleston. Yet again I agreed with CRH's point deduction, she was ahead of the music at times.

Angela S - Wow!!  Absolutely the dance of the night for me, and possibly dance of the series so far. I LOVED this, and in the space of 90 seconds have gone from agin to afor Carlos. I did suspect Angela's Irish dancing background would help in this dance, but she surpassed expectations. Loved the staging too, I'd been worried an AT would get lost on ths big floor, but the use of the circle was clever. Agree with Mauve, authentic music would've made this the full package.  

Nigel - a nice enough routine but didn't blow me away. I think they would've done better to let Angela S close the show.

As for the dance off...Angela R against ?  - it'll be interesting to see who the ? is, I'm guessing Bobby.
jingle
jingle

CaledonianCraig likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:44 am

Great comments from knowledgeable people as ever. Very little to argue with at all.

Unfortunately my main topic ( the pole dancing extravaganza rant) is already shot down in flames by being pre-empted by almost all of you. This had absolutely no place in basically a ballroom/Latin competition, and this Layton guy is a fish out of water here. He's a versatile professional entertainer ballet dancer ( Billy Elliot ?) and unfair competition to any form of learner dancer. This was an interval spot in the way of the professional gymnastics to music we so often sees as guest spot entertainment, not a competitive ballroom dance.  That apart, pole dancing (IMO) is the mental product of sleazy underworld hang-outs for night club denizens. If the G.B.P. are awake ( are you listening eldest daughter? Not a pole dancer I add hurriedly, just a big Layton fan) they'll see this as true. Possible the biggest bloop the producers have made so far.

Re the rest, Blackpool didn't let us down and the standards were excellent. I'm seeing an A.R. exit after a dance off that shouldn't really matter who with, could be any one of the rest. It doesn't need Sherlock Holmes or the spirit of dear old L en to see a final between Elli and Angela S.  Angela mark II rated better than a 6 C raig, and a "demi point ( Whatever one of this is?)  cost Angela Scanlon a 40 score. Talk about nit-picking.

So well done the rest for a fine night's entertainment and good luck all. Oh, my previously mentioned Dance of the night", Angela and Carlos's Argentine Tango was as much class ballroom/Latin dance as Layton's wasn't. Superb dancing with minimum lifts. Tango, like Flamenco, is ground-based dancing as opposed to airiel balletic style, and this was pure 10 stuff. .

That's it on the annual Wurlitzer night.  cheers

Last edited by TANGOLERO on Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

CaledonianCraig likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:46 pm

I've been away at a wedding. The hotel (Premier Inn) didn't have iPlayer so we couldn't watch it when we came back. We tried on our phones, but they're just not big enough, so having reached home now we'll watch while we're having lunch. Comments to follow!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:50 pm

I found the opening group dance exhausting to watch. Yes, it’s nice to see the contestants joining in with the pro dancers, and judges, but whenever I watch a Gilkison creation, I feel as though he crams far too much in, including the kitchen sink. It tends to look like bedlam.  I’m still not sure what Johannes wearing a green sparkly jumpsuit was all about.

Bobby & Diane (Jive) - I enjoyed this. When I saw that floor bouncing, I was a bit worried for him, but he pulled off some complex choreography. Diane was clever finding something for his hands to do. They had a dance routine all of their own with not a spatualistic hand-shape in sight. Considering they went first, the marks were high. 8,9,9,9 (8

Angela R. & Kai (A.Smooth) - Pleasant. She reached Blackpool, now let her have a rest, she looked tired and in need of recharging. 6,7,7,8 (6.5)

Layton & Nikita (Couple’s Choice) - An energetic showdance. I agreed with Cr aig. There were several places where he wasn’t in synch with Nikita. It made me laugh when Cr aig suggested they practise together in front of a mirror - ouch! It seemed like the same-old-same-old, self-indulgence. Lots of showpiece gymnastics, with some side-by-sides. Looking forward to seeing how he fairs in hold with a Foxtrot or Slow Waltz. No doubt he’s talented, but has he actually learned any fundamentals of Latin and especially Ballroom dancing? 9,10,10,10, (9)

Annabel & Johannes (A.Smooth) - Beautiful. Stunning, and this brought a lump to my throat. It really makes a lovely change to watch a ballroom danced in hold. The way some of the V. Waltzs have become deconstructed over the last few years is awful. It's like enhancing the Sistine Chapel with a bit of knocked-off emulsion. Annabel really has come such a long way and is now dancing with her soul, rather than in the early weeks when she seemed almost machine-like. My dance of the night. 8,9,9,9, (9.5)

Ellie & Vito (Charleston) - It was bonkers, but I enjoyed it. I think Vito needs a bit of valium. Don’t know about Ellie, but it was so fast, I was breathless just watching it. 9,10,10,10, (9)

Angela S. & Carlos (A.Tango) - Mixed feelings for me. I thought the use of the enclosed red post circle and subdued lighting was clever. Her footwork was neat, although I saw her hop a few times to adjust her balance. It looked a bit spiky, like a fencing match with their legs at one point. I wasn't fond of the ugly lift in the middle where she wrapped her legs around him. Hard choreography done cleanly. I think she’s been a bit undermarked in the past but now, like Annabel, she's stepped up a level. I can see what Cr aig means about the lack of traditional lead/follow, but I’ve decided that several of the A.Tangos over the last couple of years seem to have a more 50/50 feel to them. For me, this can make the dance look a bit combative and aggressive sometimes, rather than the male coaxing the female to follow him. Nothing to do with Angela and Carlos, they did a great job, rather the style of that particular choreographer. 8,10,10,10, (9.5)

Nigel & Katya (Quickstep) - I feel a bit sorry for Nigel. I know some weeks he has been inconsistent, but it seems the judges are far more picky with him (and Angela S.) and love to list his errors. Cr aig said the footwork went wrong quite a bit, but whether it was when the camera angle changed away from his feet, I couldn’t see anything obvious. Motsi mentioned a teeny mistake, but then Cr aig gave him a 7. No wonder Nigel was gutted. I liked the band conductor story and I enjoyed it. 7,8,8,8, (8

An enjoyable show. I thought the understated extras did a great job. I loved seeing the ballgowns and tail-suits.

Dance-off wise - I think Angela R has reached her sell-by date, but I’ve no idea who will join her. I guess it’s starting to come down to fan base and personal likes/dislikes for the dances on a particular week.
B4p
B4p

mauveangel09 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:40 pm

I didn’t watch the show live so have missed some of the magic but I’ve seen all of the dances now and heard C.raig’s comments.

Wow, they’re all so good, it really comes down to what dances they get and whether any mistakes are made. Angela S and Annabel have both upped their game and Ellie and Bobby’s performances were slick and enjoyable.  Poor old Angela R is clearly struggling, they should have let her go earlier, and poor old Nigel is not quite as good as he thinks he is so keeps trying to do dances that are a tiny bit beyond him.  Better to do an easier dance really really well than try a show stopper and fluff your footwork. As for Layton, well, what WAS that?  Not my cup of tea but no worries, he’ll be gone once the GBP are in charge of the whole decision.

Which makes me ponder on the differing j.ourneys the c.elebrities must be having.  The Angela R’s and Laytons of the world have been hounded on social media whereas Krishnan had everyone eating out of his hand.  Just down to personality?  I don’t know but it makes me even more determined that I never ever want my fifteen minutes of fame, no thank you very much!
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: 2023 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:18 pm

This is a really interesting post Fifty.

You are right - it is something to ponder upon regarding why some contestants seem to get it in the neck from social media and some don't. I suppose firstly GBP love an underdog, take Hamza last year, he was another Krishnan but better at the dancing. We also love to build someone up and then take them down - Angela R was the darling of the contest in the first few weeks and then the tide turned like it has for so many on Strictly over recent years, which must be quite upsetting People seem to latch on to the smallest things which then get magnified but I suppose the celebs know what they are potentially in for when they sign up - possibly why sone celebs are allegedly not interested in doing it now and others will put up with anything for the publicity or potential career/profile boost. I agree with you - leaves me cold - I would not like to be picked over by the vultures. In the early years of Strictly it was about the votes and forums (like our BBC boards) then gradually things have changed - you just don't know which way the wind will blow which I think mirrors life in general with regard to social media these days. It is very interesting to consider though.

You are right about Nigel - maybe simplifying the choreography would help but he is a contestant who I really can't get to the bottom of this year and I can't help thinking he gets regularly lampooned by the j udges in a way that others dont.................... Shocked

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:26 pm

Blackpool Week
(This was written after I’d just seen the results show.)

There was a .great opening number to the show. Lots of wonderful dancing. Couldn’t stand the singing. Just the most awful caterwauling. I enjoyed the opening to the Results Show much better.

Bobby and Dianne – Jive
I thought our Mick-Jagger-look-alike really managed to bring it! This was for me one of his better dances so far. My only reservation….what on earth was Dianne wearing? I was quite shocked that he was in the DO but was delighted that all the judges saved them.

Angela R and Kai – American Smooth
Mostly quite good again, but it’s all beginning to creak a bit. The boys threw her about in the air but I doubt that she was capable of helping them in any way. I didn’t think she managed to dance as smoothly as she has up till now. I think she’s becoming a bit tired and was ready to go in the DO especially against Bobby.

Layton and Nikita – Couple’s Choice
Unlike everyone else, I enjoyed this and thought it was their best dance so far.  I have problems with their dances when they go off piste from the type of ballroom or latin they’re meant to be doing. That’s just annoying. However with a Couple’s Choice, even if you hate that it’s included in the dances allowed for the show (and I generally find them awful too) you just have to go with it. I hunted for the out-of-synch parts after the fabu-u-lus darling one mentioned them and I think I may have spotted them on the third or fourth viewing. I certainly didn’t notice it first time round. I have no difficulty with pole dancing at the beginning of the routine. It’s not in itself sleazy and I think it’s wrong to suggest it is. Pole dancing is not solely associated with stripping any more. There are plenty of ordinary places teaching pole dancing as a keep fit exercise. The sexuality? I don’t know if Nikita is gay and I don’t really care. I’m sure Layton is. I’ve worked with actors and dancers at least as camp as him so I don’t really care about that either. Yes Layton’s queerness is out there, but I don’t think he’s ramming it down our throats. It’s the way he is. Let him be. As I say I thought this was a great dance and viewing it first time rount it deserved a 40.

Annabel and Johannes – American Smooth
Beautiful. Beautiful dress, beautiful dance, great music. She’s really coming on. She was so graceful on Saturday.  They’re a great couple.

Ellie and Vito – Charleston
An absolutely brilliant Charleston. So energetic, and some incredible moves and lifts. You never knew in which direction Ellie would go next. You could also tell that Vito wasn’t just throwing her around without her actively using her strength to add to the moves. Yes there was a lot of practice and a lot of trust involved. This was my dance of the night and it might have been worth 40 too.

Angela S and Carlos – Argentine Tango
I enjoyed this. I thought costumes and especially the settings were so inventive. I have no
idea about C.raig’s comments about the legs though I usually agree with him a bit. I thought her legs and posture were excellent mind you and the partnership gets better and better.

Nigel and Katya – Quickstep
Such a shame. Needless to say I didn’t spot the mistakes exactly but I felt I saw the steam go out of his performance about half way through and wondered if there had been a few mistakes to worry him. It would have been a great dance otherwise. I hope it doesn’t effect his chances. (It didn’t.) He really does have to get things together or he’s going to be leaving us soon.

Recently people have been saying how C.raig will take out his 10 paddle in Blackpool Someone should have told C.raig. The truth is 40s rarely appear before the Semi Finals. There were only 3 40s in the first 5 series of Strictly. Even after that 10s were as rare as hen’s teeth for quite a while. There have been a couple or 40s at Blackpool but no more than that and C.raig wasn’t always the hold out. Other judges have given 9s when C.raig or the other have given 10s.

Saying of the week – Vito clutching a fairground ride: “I don’t take my hands nowhere!”
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:10 am

Twirlie wrote:Blackpool Week
Saying of the week – Vito clutching a fairground ride: “I don’t take my hands nowhere!”
I must admit Vito made me laugh on that Blackpool ride. It looked like one of the children's slower ones. I hope he had his T ena pants on Laughing
B4p
B4p

Twirlie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:03 am

Reflecting on Layton - boy can dance (yes, it’s his job) but when I watch him and Nikita I find myself more and more admiring Nikita. I don’t mind the c.elebs being different ages with differing abilities but draw the line at including professionals who do dancing for their day job.  

Reflecting on Nigel - also works in theatre so why do I find him so wooden?  I think I’ve finally worked it out. The judges always bang on about showing your personality and Krishnan did this in spades. Bobby and Ellie have shown personality from day one and Angela S and Annabel have improved immensely since starting to dance with their heart. Nigel is still dancing with his head. What we see is Nigel playing the role of a strictly come dancing contestant trying to be better (technically) than all the rest. What we aren’t seeing is Nigel the man. He needs to let go otherwise he will be let go.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Twirlie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:25 am

Just a view on gendre topics (which shouldn't even have mention in this particular show). I'm fighting a well lost cause here I know.  I couldn't care less what or who people are in life, but in this repeatedly stressed ballroom/Latin dance "family" show, contestants should play by the traditional man/woman rules. For this I blame the show organizers who, in their desire to gain viewing figures, pander to things they should not and make rules flexible to gain popularity.

Nikita is a male professional dancer and should have a female partner, and Layton should dance as a male with a female one.  The rest shouldn't even have or need mention, What next, "Strictly Drag Race does Ballroom at Blackpool" , or the "Who do I think I am?" Viennese Waltz.   Time for somebody to get a grip, but maybe it's too late already. Whoever wrote the Gay Gordons didn't know what they were starting. Take your partners... bom :
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:20 pm

I think same sex partnerships are integral to the Strictly line-up these days, and personally that's fine by me (though do respect what you're saying about dance tradition Tango).  If I have a reservation, it's that the routines over the years have sometimes looked rather repetitive, eg. the tendency for matching outfits and side by side choreography.  But it interests me to see how the pro dancers respond, and Nikita is doing a pretty good job I think.

My gripe with Layton is Fifty's point - dancing has been his day job, and I can't see the point of having a semi-professional dancer compete on the show. It's a shame, especially because he comes across as an earnest and very genuine young man, and absolutely doesn't deserve any the social media hostility. I personally just don't think he should've been allowed to enter the show in the first place, so I guess my gripe isn't with Layton, but is with the BBC.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2023

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:28 pm

jingle wrote:I think same sex partnerships are integral to the Strictly line-up these days, and personally that's fine by me (though do respect what you're saying about dance tradition Tango).  If I have a reservation, it's that the routines over the years have sometimes looked rather repetitive, eg. the tendency for matching outfits and side by side choreography.  But it interests me to see how the pro dancers respond, and Nikita is doing a pretty good job I think.

My gripe with Layton is Fifty's point - dancing has been his day job, and I can't see the point of having a semi-professional dancer compete on the show. It's a shame, especially because he comes across as an earnest and very genuine young man, and absolutely doesn't deserve any the social media hostility. I personally just don't think he should've been allowed to enter the show in the first place, so I guess my gripe isn't with Layton, but is with the BBC.

I feel it is more difficult to choreograph for two males and keep it interesting and different (Johannes and John were the exception and a hard benchmark to follow). As you say Jingle, inevitably you end up with all the side by side stuff. Personally I am getting bored with Layton and Nikita's routines - its all the same routine in different guises to me - and has he really learned anything new compared to what he knew before? He's been a professional dancer since he was 11. I know we have been having ringers on SCD for years now but this one kind of takes it one step further for me, but like you Jingle and Fifty - my problem is not with him but more with the BBC . I didn't think any good would come of this when I first heard that it was going to happen.

On another note - I thought Angela R's exit was dignified and a really nice exit speech. I think she did really well and didn't deserve some of the snarky stuff that has been levelled at her - she's just thrown herself in to the contest, danced some lovely routines with a great professional partner and is an incredibly fit 79 year old - I'm sure most people couldn't do what she has done and I'm full of admiration. I knew I would be surprised with whoever else was in the DO after those incredible performances on Saturday night but slightly sorry that it was Bobby and Diane. Perhaps the curse of going on first? I couldn't quite work out why Dianne was blubbing so much - was it the realization that their vote share might not be what they want it to be....................................

mauveangel09

jingle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:10 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:  I couldn't quite work out why Dianne was blubbing so much - was it the realization that their vote share might not be what they want it to be....................................
Diane's father has just started chemotherapy in Australia. I guess this, as well as supporting Amy with daily calls has added to her stress. I'm sure all of the contestants and pro dancers are getting very tired by this point in the competition. The pressure must be crazy by now to try and better the week before.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:39 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:
  I couldn't quite work out why Dianne was blubbing so much - was it the realization that their vote share might not be what they want it to be....................................

From what was said in ITT, this was the first time in her 7years of Strictly that Dianne had won a DO. It was a new and emotional experience for her. I think we'd seen better dancers go out in a DO against Angela R. I'm sure she thought there was a possibility that they'd go out too. All that on top of any other emotional problems created by illnesses of family and friends. All things considered I'll forgive her a wee weep of relief.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:45 pm

With the obvious weakest link now gone, who's next for the Engelbert Humperdinck ? The remainder all deserve an equal chance for their efforts so far, but somebody has to go; that's the name of the game.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:47 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:With the obvious weakest link now gone, who's next for the Engelbert Humperdinck ? The remainder all deserve an equal chance for their efforts so far, but somebody has to go; that's the name of the game.
I think Bobby's Couple's Choice could go either way. I'm not sure I can cope with too many personal pain fests. Doing a Rumba so late in the series is a bit of a risk for Nigel, hopefully, he'll be on a good week, but he has been inconsistent, and the slow dance will emphasise any weakness. I think Ellie, Angela and Annabel should be reasonably safe. I've not seen any of Layton's training but I'm guessing it will be a small amount in hold, lifts, side-by-sides, razz-a-matazz - just a normal week really Laughing  

So, for me, the two possibles in the danger zone will be Bobby and Nigel, unless there's a shock dance-off.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:15 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:With the obvious weakest link now gone, who's next for the Engelbert Humperdinck ? The remainder all deserve an equal chance for their efforts so far, but somebody has to go; that's the name of the game.

We’re getting to the stage where there’s nowhere to hide, especially if there is a tie on the judges’ leaderboard.

I would hate to predict the two in the dance off but agree with b4p, Nigel must be in danger with a rhumba.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:47 pm

A bad night for me tonight. First I got a touch of stomach attack just as the show was starting and had to play catch-up. I then typed out my comments and clumsily deleted them without copying, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.  Just one thing to dwell on:

I n the pre-interview  Johannes said.."I am the matador and Anabel is the cape" . She replied she' wanted to be a very good cape...Then they went off and danced matador and bull? Instead of Annabel being a flowing cape she was just dodging about with Johannes avoiding her and scowling at her. Do capes care about facial expressions?  None of this took away from a fine dance performance to authentic corrida music, but it just seemed odd. Strange no one noticed? Maybe C raig did, he gave them an 8 against two 9's and a 10?  Still a big contender for D.O.T.N.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 7 Empty Week 10

Post  B4p Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:02 pm

Week 10.

Layton & Nikita (A.Smooth) - I quite enjoyed this. There was more time in-hold than I was expecting which made a nice change. I liked the performance. The A.Smooth’s used to be the long-awaited show dance but it feels like we’ve had lots of show dances from Layton. It must be difficult trying to come up with something innovative each week. It was interesting to hear three of the judges voicing criticisms. Did he trip at the end or was that part of the performance?  8,9,8,9, (8

Nigel & Katya (Rumba) - Interesting that Shirley had said on ITT that she was waiting for someone to do a Rumba double-spot turn and look what Katya did - a double-spot turn. Also interesting is that T ess mentioned for the first time, Nigel’s previous West End experience (although I believe it was many years ago). The ghost theme has been done so many times. I know Katya was supposed to be his wife's spirit, but I didn’t like her costume. It looked like she’d got tangled up in a bedsheet en-route to the dance floor. I was shouting at the TV, ‘move yer hips Nigel’. I saw two cucarachas, but no forward or back basics, which Cr aig also mentioned. Lots of side lunges and arm wafting. I thought he gave it a good shot. I didn’t mind it, but it didn’t blow me away. 8,8,8,9, (7.5)

Annabel & Johannes (Paso Doble) - I hated that dress. She looked like a bumble bee on speed, or a saloon girl in the opening sequence of a Spaghetti Western. Loved the traditional music. I think she’s always been neat and precise and continues to make solid progress. I enjoyed the dance, and she did well, but I’d like to see a few more facial expressions to match her newfound performing skills. She always looks worried to death, which makes me feel on edge.  8,9,9,10 (8

Angela & Carlos (Cha-Cha) - A long intro, it took 40 seconds of their 90 to get into hold. I thought that this seemed like the sort of Cha-Cha that the professionals do when they dance on the Results Show in front of the guest singer. I didn’t see much hip action. For me, it looked a bit spiky and stop/start. I didn’t like it too much. 7,7,8,9, (7)

Bobby & Diane (C.Choice) - Usually, I’m not too fond of contemporary dances, but this one was beautifully done. As with Annabel’s the other week, it was from the heart. I don't know how to judge Couple's Choices. 8,9,10,10, (8

Ellie & Vito (A.Tango) - When Ellie first said this was about a woman being in control, I thought, Oh no, here we go again, but I loved it. I saw a lot of the old Vincent and Rachel A.T. moves in there, the walk up the leg, bicycle, foot stops and sandwich. I loved the opening, and despite not being too keen on the tune to start with, I liked how Ellie used the accents in the song within the dance. I liked the lifts, and the synchronicity of their steps. For me, this was the A.T. of this series so far and my dance of the night. Great job. 9,10,10,9, (9.5)

I threw Nigel a couple of votes. I think Bobby may have escaped the dance-off in favour of Nigel and maybe Angela, BUT, I still think that we could have a shocker e.g. Layton with one other. Despite the judges giving Layton negative comments tonight, I still think they'd save him over whoever else was in any dance-off with him.

Last edited by B4p on Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:10 pm

TANGOLERO wrote: Just one thing to dwell on:

In the pre-interview,  Johannes said.."I am the matador and Anabel is the cape" . She replied she wanted to be a very good cape...Then they went off and danced matador and bull? Instead of Annabel being a flowing cape she was just dodging about with Johannes avoiding her and scowling at her.
I noticed that too. Hope you feel a bit better tomorrow.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:47 pm

In the Clauditorium, did anyone else notice that Amy's right foot and lower leg were in some sort of surgical boot?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:57 am

A heavy dose of the flu but here is my take on last night's dances:-

Layton and Nikita (American Smooth): Another professional standard dance but more akin to a show dance. I agreed with judges about it being too lumpy or not as smooth as the dance should be. An observation I have is that since Layton is so good I think they feel the need to take each dance to another level which ends up it straying away from the actual dance style. An 8 from me.

Nigel and Katya (Rumba): A dance I felt he could struggle with but I liked the level of expression he brought to it. May not have had a great deal of rumba steps but I think he got the essence of the dance across well. An 8 from me.

Annabel and Johannes (Paso Doble): An ideal piece of music for this dance and despite reservations I really enjoyed this. She really has come out of her shell a lot and expresses herself much better now. I did feel there was a moment of hesitation but none of the judges spotted it so maybe I was wrong. An 8 from me.

Angela S and Carlos (Cha Cha): I wasn't keen on the start when she was up on the stage on her own - it wasn't captivating enough. Once on the dance floor she had some good moments like maintaining straight legs but other parts she struggled with. Not a disaster but the weakest dance of the night for me though still worth a 7.5 such are the high standards now.

Bobby and Diane (Couples' Choice): Another emotional couples choice (seems like a common theme now) and he showed off his expressive side. However, and I made this point last week, why do many of his dances seem so samey? I do feel his achilles heel could be having Diane as his partner. Still an 8 from me.

Ellie and Vito (Argentine Tango): My expectation levels were high and she did not disappoint. Neat and precise intricate footwork and some really tricky moves. Couple that with great lifts and the atmosphere created this was the dance of the night for me. A 9 from me.

Well its tricky predicting the dance-off as Bobby perhaps lacks public support but did finish well up the leaderboard. Angela could be in peril along with Nigel (dare I say it) Layton.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:22 am

Thanks for asking B.4.P, I'm fine today. Just a stomach bug.

I'm still annoyed with myself for carelessly deleting my comments last night, but having read the rest I'll abstain from any great detail as most points have been well covered by you all.

I still find it strange that at this critical stage, a Cha-cha has to compete with Paso and Argentine Tango on a level basis. A waltz week, Paso week, Tango week etc with everybody doing the same wouldn't be relevant quite and maybe a tad boring, but like for like to some degree would be fairer. Rumba is still a no-no for me and I'm still campaigning for Mambo. Samba, Salsa, Charlston and Cha-cha could cover a week together and fit Couples choice and American Smooth in with the more spectacular ones.

Dance-off? I do agree Layton may be a candidate for the San Fernando Express, with maybe Nigel, but who knows how the G.B.P. minds work? If Angela's Cha-Cha can avoid the dance-off, she's doing well and still improving weekly. D.O.T.N for me was between Angela's Paso and Ellie's Argentine Tango, both still front runners. Music Maestro please.. study

Very Happy

Last edited by TANGOLERO on Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

2023 Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Discussion Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread 2023

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:25 am

B4p wrote:In the Clauditorium, did anyone else notice that Amy's right foot and lower leg were in some sort of surgical boot?

She has broken her foot - right after she finished her Chemo, poor girl, she's still smiling Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next