Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Couples 2013

+17
allsewnonbyhand
David Tee
TANGOLERO
IAmFullOfWonder
jingle
Littlebear
Poppetlovestango
1superken
salsarae
mauveangel09
Tina Sparkle
Sid
gingercodgers
fiftynotout
CaledonianCraig
B4p
saxonsiren
21 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

New Couples 2013 - Page 5 Empty Re: New Couples 2013

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:08 pm

I never really enjoy the Rhumbas on SCD because it either seems to be a very 'placed' dance, almost like a showdance or be presented more like a contemporary dance routine - and I can rarely detect any real steps in it. It does seem to present a real challenge for the male celebs but even the female celebs are supposed to become sort of unbridled lap dancers as the judges demand 'passion' and always refer to it as the 'dance of love'. I have seen some nice Rhumbas on youtube that look exactly like slowed down cha chas with pronounced steps which is what I thought it was supposed to be - I know there have been some real stand out Rhumbas on SCD but these are the exception to the rule and it doesn't seem to work very well for most - this is a shame as I think there should be a place for it in the Contest.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:36 pm

The simple fact Mauveangel, is that males aren't usually very comfortable with rumba. To be told "It's a vertical expression of a horizontal wish" (or some such tripe) isn't really what they want to tell their partners they're practising with a glamourous professional dancer. Women too have confessed in the past that being asked to do "sexy" doesn't sit well with them. Silver tongued Italian Stallion claimed that the best technique in the world is no good without a story. It might well also be claimed that a story in dance isn't much use without the dance technique either. Far better doing something that contestants are comfortable with and enjoy and that it comes across to the audience that way, than being asked to do a scene from Dirty Dancing whilst wondering what their partners are thinking.

I really love ballroom dance, but there's an awful lot of twaddle talked about it to the extent that sweaty gauchos and angry matadors have become as stereotyped as flamenco dancers wearing Cordoban hats and having a rose between their teeth.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:14 pm

Yes very true and interesting as always Mr T particularly about celebs feeling awkward with Rhumba. I recall Abby saying on ITT that she was glad she was doing the Rhumba on Hallowe'en week as she felt she had the character to hide behind - alluding to slight embarrassment about which I understand - obviiously Peter wasn't going to like it!! She was being quite honest. Regarding the story/technique balance thing ,I do get a bit fed up with the scenario based dances in SCD full stop ,but I suppose that when someone has had to learn a dance in a week with very little technique to fall back on then the story telling scenario is a way round it. I think they enjoy the Charleston, as you say, because it is upbeat, looser and there are any number of interpretations. As for the Rhumba 'Strictly style', I feel it has just become a caracture (is that the right spelling?) of itself as a dance which is a shame.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Week 8 Songs for Blackpool

Ashley and O la dance the Paso Doble to Bon Jovi’s You Give Love a Bad Name.

Patrick and Anya will Samba to Barry Manilow’s Copacabana.

Abbey and Aljaz will Quickstep to Walking On Sunshine by Katrina and The Waves.

Fiona and An ton will perform the American Smooth to Frank Sinatra’s Come Fly With Me.

Sophie and Brendan are Quickstepping to Shirley Bassey’s The Lady is a Tramp.

Mark and Iveta Jive to You Can’t Stop the Beat from Hairspray.

Susanna and Kevin will perform the Paso Doble to Carmen’s Los Toreadors.

Ben and Kristina dance the American Smooth to Fallin’ by Alicia Keys.

Natalie and Artem will Charleston to Will.i.am’s Bang Bang.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Looking forward to Blackpool & less pink costumes!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Sorry B4, was waiting for you to put the songs up as usual and thought you'd forgotten so went and posted them on the other thread!

sax - welcome back, I thought you'd been a bit quiet! We really take the net for granted now don't we? Don't realise how much we need it until it's gone for a few days x
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:59 am

Watched Natalie and Artem's Charleston again, amazing choreography. Also watched things he did with Holly, Kara and Fern. Artem likes to look after his partners, to spotlight them. It was interesting when a few years ago when they asked the pros on ITT what super power they would like Artem said healer. However, in the first ITT interviews with this couple much was made about how tough and disciplined Natalie is, that she was even tougher than Artem himself. I think she has pushed him into treating her as a pro rather than as a celeb. But she isn't a pro. It has left Artem in no mans land. He can't really relate to her as a pro and he can't treat her as he has his other celeb partners. I think her desire to be treated as a pro has stopped this couple from being as engaging as they should be.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:27 am

Interesting comments HL Artem & Natalie do not have the same chemistry as say Suzanna & Kevin.I recall Jill Halfpenny having the same skill level yet she & Darren had an amazing chemistry & DVO had a good chemistry with James too.Do you think its just Artem's personality?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:37 am

On the contrary, I think it is Natalie. Artem is doing his job and I think he is trying to please her. Think how kind and careful he was with Fern.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:03 am

Yes he was kind & considerate with Fern.I wonder then if its Natalie is it her personna? or ambition for the title? A bit confused re this couples chemistry.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:05 pm

I am bewildered by the suggestions (here and elsewhere) that these two are not warm, boring, have no chemistry. They are one of the couples that has most engaged me in all the years I have watched Strictly. I find them so exciting. There is so much respect between them, the hard work is a given, they have no reason to complain, they have no reason to bicker and there is no sexual tension. The result is that they are both having a really exhilerating ride - Artem feels free to choreograph to his wildest dreams, Natalie knows she can trust him to give her exciting challenges and teach her brilliantly. The self-assurance they both have in this partnership leaves all their energies free for creativity, enthusiasm and daring. I could watch them all day, whether they are dancing or talking to each other. I love what Natalie has brought out in Artem. They are so damned sexy, talented and cool and apart from being rather injury-prone they waste no energy on silliness or sexual tension (which bores me). Love them so much!
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Littlebear, so glad you are a fan. I love Artem's choreography and it is wonderful when he has a partner who can actually do it! I think I was trying to find a reason why they haven't attracted more admiration on the boards.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:07 pm

I guess we all have a marmite couple from time to time.Last year mine was just DVO. This year not stuck re Natalie & Artem as a couple. Ive not been a big Artem fan prefering Robin.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:16 pm

I think the myriad of injuries and health problems have marred the gelling process to an extent - both between Nat and Artem and between them and the audience. Most of their interviews have been about those things (not their fault, obviously). I say this as someone who likes them and enjoys (most of) their performances but I don't feel like I have much insight into their partnership. It's all very professional, which is good, but I'm not massively excited or intrigued.

I also find A.rtem's choreography a bit hit and miss to be honest. But the hits are sublime.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Sid you may have a point!! Im waiting to be wowed by them both it took me ages to warm to Rachel Stevens & Louisa but I felt the wow eventually!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:53 pm

I think we will be sax. Nat's got her strongest dances still to come - Paso and the two Tangos. She'll kill it with those, I just know it.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Week 9 Dances

Ashley and O la will be waltzing to ‘I Will Always Love You’ by Claudia Streza

Patrick and Anya will be dancing the Viennese Waltz to Celine Dion’s ‘A New Day Has Come’

Abbey and Aljaz will be performing the Paso Doble to ‘You Got The Love’ by Florence and the Machine

Sophie and Brendan will Rumba to Amy Winehouse’s version of ‘Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow’

Mark and Iveta will Foxtrot to the Michael Buble favourite ‘It’s A Beautiful Day’

Susanna and Kevin will be dancing the Cha-Cha-Cha to ‘Hound Dog’ from Smokey Joe’s Café

Ben and Kristina will Charleston to ‘No Diggity’ by Minimatic

Natalie and Artem will Tango to Rihanna’s hit ‘Where Have You Been’
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:07 pm

The song choices confirm that I think this weekend will belong to Ashley & O.la. That's an iconic love song and their Waltz should be danced well. I'm expecting Ash to get his first 10s.

Sophie & B.rendan have a spine-tingling song, but can Sophie dance well enough and convey the emotion of the song? Big test.

J.ames and Zoe used "You Got The Love" for their Paso and I remember it lacking slightly in atmosphere. But maybe that was more down to Zoe's performance and J.ames's choreography than the song itself.

A.rtem picking a Rihanna track. again. I'm not a big fan of her music but I do have high hopes for this Tango.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Not to keen on the music choices.Ashley & Sophie out of the celebs have the best songs
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:36 pm

Yeah............I'm not overwhelmed to be honest. I really like the track 'You got the Love' - it reminds me of Sex in the City - it was played in an iconic episode, even though it has been used on SCD before I would not associate it with the 'paso' at all - the chorus of course has that great hook but to me not a dramatic/attack sort of song - a Tango at a push?

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:Yeah............I'm not overwhelmed to be honest. I really like the track 'You got the Love' - it reminds me of Sex in the City - it was played in an iconic episode, even though it has been used on SCD before I would not associate it with the 'paso' at all - the chorus of course has that great hook but to me not a dramatic/attack sort of song - a Tango at a push?
Yes it always reminds me of series finale of Sex & the City too mauve! It's such an uplifting, anthemic song.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:47 pm

The Christmas Couples have been announced on the BBC website.

Our Christmas Stars will be paired up as follows:

Rochelle Humes (Singer in The Saturdays) and Ian Waite
Sara Cox (Radio Presenter) and Robin Windsor
Elaine Paige (Singer, Presenter, Show Royalty with a dirty laugh) and Pasha Kovalev
Matt Goss (Singer) and Aliona Vilani
Ricky Norwood (? Eastenders actor) and Janette Manrara
Rufus Hound (Comedian & Presenter) and Flavia Cacace

Santa will be bringing the Strictly Christmas Special to you on Christmas Day on BBC One, with a stunning winter wonderland opening performed in LaplandUK. Time to deck those halls with glitterballs!
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:40 am

Matt Goss! *swoooon* - oh no, I have to support A.liona for 90 seconds on Xmas Day!

Glad they've involved Janette in this. I think she's come across really well on ITT since she got knocked out - very warm and engaging Smile

Hasn't Elaine Paige done the Strictly Special before?
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:00 am

Glad to see Flavia will be doing the xmas show. I can't remember the reason given about Vince and Flavia not doing the main show this year (maybe Vincent had wanted to do the jungle instead?). I hope they return to the main show next year (though if that happens then I guess two will have to leave, in which case really hope it's not Aljaz and Janette)
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:11 am

Matt Goss always advised he would love to do SCD! & Aliona has a good partner again.I shall enjoy Rufus dancing I cannot forget his Comic Relief Dance! 2nd December they are filming this & Ive asked for tickets I can hope & dream.A C hristmas Special to be enjoyed this year with Flavia too.
I feel jingle Aljaz& Janette will stay & time for either the Jordans or A.nton (presenter SCD nxt year) & Kristina (babies) to be replaced
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next