Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Couples 2013

+17
allsewnonbyhand
David Tee
TANGOLERO
IAmFullOfWonder
jingle
Littlebear
Poppetlovestango
1superken
salsarae
mauveangel09
Tina Sparkle
Sid
gingercodgers
fiftynotout
CaledonianCraig
B4p
saxonsiren
21 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

New Couples 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: New Couples 2013

Post  Sid Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:08 pm

I think Ben & Kristina's decision to use the Friends theme tune is inspired. The audience will really connect with it, and if he dances it well it could bring the house down!

Sophie & B.rendan's song choice I like, but then I like anything 80s and almost anything Michael Jackson Laughing But don't think the Cha Cha will be their best dance and it's not the most exciting of dances either.

Natalie & Artem's Samba training looks seriously good and their music has a strong Latin feel. Could we see our first 10s of the series? I'm thinking we will - either for them, or for Abbey & Aljaz.

I just can't envisage Rachel being a Maneater Sad You're right though B4, that song worked brilliantly for Emma & Darren's Tango (even if it knocked out my favs Louisa & V.incent that year!).
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:46 am

Rachel Riley reminds me very much of Victoria Pendleton last year. At the start I had high hopes as she had all the attributes but for one reason or another they just couldn't let themselves go and grasp the concept. Both looked decent if fits and starts but both are/were shy and struggled to get into character of the dance plus both had balance issues. I don't know if anyone else feels the same.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:02 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Rachel Riley reminds me very much of Victoria Pendleton last year. At the start I had high hopes as she had all the attributes but for one reason or another they just couldn't let themselves go and grasp the concept. Both looked decent if fits and starts but both are/were shy and struggled to get into character of the dance plus both had balance issues. I don't know if anyone else feels the same.
I think that's a pretty fair comparison C.C.. What I see as the terra firma syndrome; ie they'll only swim so far from the side before dashing back to the safety of solid ground. "Boldly go" just doesn't seem to fit them at all. In Rachel's case there may yet be hope of improvement because her choreography in the last two weeks has been a leap too far that she just wasn't ready for. You can drown in a foot of water if you can't swim, so you don't have to be a Channel swimmer before being classed as good. Rachel needs a real confidence boost and some acting ability before she starts believing in herself. She's in the danger zone more from the popularity stakes than pure dance, because she's actually better than both Dave or Mark. She'll need to do a bit of proving it soon though.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:17 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:I think that's a pretty fair comparison C.C.. What I see as the terra firma syndrome; ie they'll only swim so far from the side before dashing back to the safety of solid ground. "Boldly go" just doesn't seem to fit them at all. In Rachel's case there may yet be hope of improvement because her choreography in the last two weeks has been a leap too far that she just wasn't ready for. You can drown in a foot of water if you can't swim, so you don't have to be a Channel swimmer before being classed as good. Rachel needs a real confidence boost and some acting ability before she starts believing in herself. She's in the danger zone more from the popularity stakes than pure dance, because she's actually better than both Dave or Mark. She'll need to do a bit of proving it soon though.
It is all a mental issue for her I feel. If she could let herself go and perhaps had say Brendan as her partner she may do better but I feel she will exit before really doing herself justice sadly.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:45 pm

I feel Rachel's nemesis is Pasha! I feel he has always had a high standard celeb partner who delivered the goods for him.Pasha now has a possible contender but one he has to nurture & create a decent but simpler choreography to gain confidence for Rachel. He expects far too much too soon.Time to stop promoting difficult fandango moves & go for slowly slowly catch up the rest
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:43 pm

Week 6 Songs Revealed (Hallowe'en)

Ashley and O la will be performing the Tango to Ne-Yo's 'Beautiful Monster'

Patrick and Anya will be Quickstepping to 'Man With the Hex' by Atomic Fireballs

Abbey and Aljaz will Rumba to 'Stay' by Shakespeare's Sister.

Rachel and Pasha will dance the American Waltz to 'I Put a Spell on You' by Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

Dave and Karen will be Jiving to Bobby Boris Picket's 'Monster Mash'.

Fiona and An ton will perform the Charleston to Al Donahue's 'Jeepers Creepers'.

Sophie and Brendan Jive to 'Maneater' by Hall and Oates.

Mark and Iveta will perform the Paso Doble to Sarah Brightman's 'I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper'

Susanna and Kevin will Charleston to Creedance Clearwater Revival's 'Bad Moon Rising'.

Ben and Kristina will dance the Paso Doble to Muse's 'Supermassive Black Hole'.

Natalie and Artem will perform the Viennese Waltz to Natalie Duncan’s ‘Devil In Me’.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:48 am

B4p wrote:Week 6 Songs Revealed (Hallowe'en)

Ashley and O la will be performing the Tango to Ne-Yo's 'Beautiful Monster'

Patrick and Anya will be Quickstepping to 'Man With the Hex' by Atomic Fireballs

Abbey and Aljaz will Rumba to 'Stay' by Shakespeare's Sister.

Rachel and Pasha will dance the American Waltz to 'I Put a Spell on You' by Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

Dave and Karen will be Jiving to Bobby Boris Picket's 'Monster Mash'.

Fiona and An ton will perform the Charleston to Al Donahue's 'Jeepers Creepers'.

Sophie and Brendan Jive to 'Maneater' by Hall and Oates.

Mark and Iveta will perform the Paso Doble to Sarah Brightman's 'I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper'

Susanna and Kevin will Charleston to Creedance Clearwater Revival's 'Bad Moon Rising'.

Ben and Kristina will dance the Paso Doble to Muse's 'Supermassive Black Hole'

Natalie and Artem will perform the Viennese Waltz to Natalie Duncan’s ‘Devil In Me’.
Classic case of making the music fit the theme rather than the dance. Not a happy Allsewn. Evil or Very Mad 
affraid 
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:09 am

I remember back fondly to last year's Halloween Special when Michael Vaughan came of age with s fabulous quickstep to 'That Ole Black Magic.'

Perhaps An.ton and Fiona's Charleston to 'Jeepers Creepers' will see her make her mark.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:57 am

Yes Michael came of age with that dance! He really just got it all together. Im hoping Pasha has taken on board comments about difficult choreography & adapting it to Rachels strengths. Dave well Halloween week could see the horrror of all errors! Love Dave but train stopping at the station now.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:24 pm

Agree with all comments - some of these tracks are totally unsuitable for the dances they have been paired with!!!! Some of them I wouldn't associate with Hallowe'en either! Case of 'point being stretched to the limit' I think!!!

The prize for the all time most unsuitable track must be 'I lost my heart to a starship trouper' for a paso doble!!! Please! - I understand Mark is going to be dressed as a spaceman - what has this got to do with Hallowe'en???? I also think it is unfair on the contestants who will ulitmately be slated by the judges for not getting the 'true character' of their dance, but it is so hard with some of these track choices. I think the producers must tell all of them to get dressed up and just jump about looking 'Hallowe'n - ish' in order to poll votes - particularly in Dave's case, at least he has a bona fide authentic Hallowe'en track, one of the best, but not a jive rhythm by a long chalk - I would challenge a good dancer to make a decent jive out of that one.

OK rant over.............on a more positive note I really love 'Stay' by Shakespeares Sister and I think the ethereal quality of the track will suit Abby and they have potential to do good things with this, likewise 'Jeepers Creepers' is a great choice for a Fiona and A nton and their Charleston.

I suppose the Hallowe'en special is always a bit of fun and two of my memorable SCD moments came out of it - like a lot of you I will never forget Michael last year and the judges faces too! Just shows that anyone can have a breakthrough! Also - I loved Jason Donovan and Kristina doing their foxtrot to 'Bewitched' on the previous year's show - so here's hoping for something from someone tomorrow night...................

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:56 pm

cheers    Week 7 Songs revealed  cheers 

Ashley and O la will Quickstep to “Are You Gonna be My Girl” by Jet.

Patrick and Anya will perform the American Smooth to Harry Connick Junior’s “It Had to Be You.”

Abbey and Aljaz will Charleston to Liza Minnelli’s “Cabaret.”

Dave and Karen will Tango to The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”

Fiona and An ton will Paso Doble to Blur’s “Song 2.”

Sophie and Brendan will perform the Argentine Tango to Tanghetto’s “Sweet Dreams.”

Mark and Iveta will Rumba to Shirley Bassey’s “Goldfinger.”

Susanna and Kevin will Waltz to “You Light Up My Life” by Whitney Houston.

Ben and Kristina will Jive to “Jump Jive an’ Wail” by the Burn the Floor Orchestra.

Natalie and Artem will Jive to Ike and Tina Turner’s “Proud Mary.”
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tee Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Mmm - some great songs in there. More my era!!

I'm very intrigued by both F&A's selection and also what A&A make of Cabaret.
David Tee
David Tee

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:54 pm

I can't think of "Sweet Dreams" without remembering Vincent & Louisa's Tango which I really liked.

Not sure about the Proclaimers for a Tango. It's an anthem song so will get the audience singing along. Then again I'm not sure Dave's dance moves would reflect any music whether it's traditional Tango or not. His heart's in it but unfortunately his feet aren't connected. He doesn't seem to feel the beat or rhythm.

Good choice from Alijaz. Another classic "Cabaret" and crowd pleaser

Classic jive for Ben. Let's hope his feet are more arresting then his chest this week.

An ton can't get over still being in can he? Floppy Brian Ferry hair in training. NO tie in training clip (the mans a radical - whatever next?) Actually sweating for a change. Now going for the street cred with his Blur song. As a Paso, let's hope its 'gonna go his way'. Close call with another non traditional track. Could go either way methinks.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:59 pm

B4p wrote:I can't think of "Sweet Dreams" without remembering Vincent & Louisa's Tango which I really liked.
Same here! Although I've listened to Tanghetto’s version and it's very different. I didn't think much of Sophie's AT training though. She can't afford to have another 'unsuitable' dance.

Abbey & Aljaz have a winning song. And so do Natalie & Artem - I can see their Jive being sensational.

Hate Fiona & Housewives choice's Paso track. Why does no one use traditional Paso music anymore?
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi Sid
I hope Sophie gets her shoes sorted out. She doesn't want to be wobbling about when she's 'dressing Brendan's leg' or doing 'leg cycles' and 'sandwich stops'. She's got a lot of potential but her posture always reminds me of "Olive Oyle" in Popeye. Sort of laid back, and lollopy with her pelvis leading her shoulders along. I keep wanting to shout at the TV and say,  "stand up straight, and stop slouching".

"Proud Mary" will be sensational. Let's face it, even if Natalie hashes a bit up, she's savvy enough to be able to cover it. Wonder if they'll put a wig on her to make her look like Tina?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:12 am

B4p wrote:Hi Sid
I hope Sophie gets her shoes sorted out. She doesn't want to be wobbling about when she's 'dressing Brendan's leg' or doing 'leg cycles' and 'sandwich stops'. She's got a lot of potential but her posture always reminds me of "Olive Oyle" in Popeye. Sort of laid back, and lollopy with her pelvis leading her shoulders along. I keep wanting to shout at the TV and say,  "stand up straight, and stop slouching".

"Proud Mary" will be sensational. Let's face it, even if Natalie hashes a bit up, she's savvy enough to be able to cover it. Wonder if they'll put a wig on her to make her look like Tina?
That's a very good description B4! I know we've only seen a snippet (and it may have been from very early in the week) but Sophie looked rather limp and hunched in her training. When she came off the chair she was almost falling into B.rendan rather than pulling up through her rib cage and holding herself upright. She risks looking slightly floppy and off-balance in this Argentine Tango if she's not careful. I'm praying for a pleasant surprise but after recent let-downs....

No wigs for Natalie! No way! Her hair is utterly FABULOUS. I hope she goes hell for leather and whips Artem's face like CRAZY!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:09 am

I absolutely agree Sophie needed lower heels for the jive (and prob the cha cha/samba too) but the AT is the one dance where the higher heels will help. But they need proper tango shoes which are not at all like either ballroom or Latin shoes. They are much more like an outdoor shoe actually, with a really steely stiletto and slippy soles for pivoting. Her rehearsal footage looked to me like she wasn't getting the lean in enough and the right tango shoes would help with that. I never wear heels normally but I find the higher the better for AT (but I have proper tango shoes) because it helps me to get that close chest contact which makes the whole thing work.
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:22 am

Hope Sophie heeds the advice & wears proper Tango shoes & she looks less awkward. Looking forward to Fiona's dance & to see if Abby shakes off last week & tops the board.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:30 am

That would be funny! I agree that they'll be very good.

I wonder why Sophie is doing AT this week? I can't see it being one of her better dances to be honest, but perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. Maybe Brendan wants to get all her "risky" latin dances over with while there are still people who ought to go out before her around. If so he needs to be careful - that strategy might backfire!
Tina Sparkle
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:50 pm

I think it is a shame that Sophie doesn't have a good classic ballroom dance coming up this week - she still has a few to do - just to get a better position on the leaderboard and restore her reputation - three not so good weeks will not be good with the judges or I suspect GBP.

I agree with Tina Sparkle that there is probably some strategy in play - now that the pros are not bound by the strict 'latin-ballroom' rotation I think that a lot of them try to play it strategically - sometimes it works and sometimes doesn't once GBP come into play. I think that the later it gets in the contest the more a couple is 'allowed' a bad week by GBP and I think Tina is right that Brendan is possibly trying to get the latin out of the way in order to wow with more ballroom in the latter stages - I know Brendan had no way of knowing but I agree this could prove to be risky - given what has happened to them in the past few weeks and also the slightly unpredictable voting patterns this year.

Thinking about strategy - I know that F iona has done some latin but I wouldn't mind betting that A nton is trying to leave a lot of his dodgy latin until he absolutely has to do it! And I don't blame him because if Fiona doesn't get to the latter stages they won't have to do it and everytime she doesn't have to do it potentially buys her another week and longer in the contest. Similarly - I think that Aliaj has played it quite well with Abby. I know that it didn't work last week because she was in the DO but prior to this she had a run of ballroom which sort of cemented her position as one of the contenders and will I'm sure result in a sympathy bounce back vote this week as everyone perceived - not just based on the Rhumba that night- that 'she shouldn't have been in the DO'.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:43 am

mauveangel09 wrote: I agree with Tina Sparkle that there is probably some strategy in play - now that the pros are not bound by the strict 'latin-ballroom' rotation..
I was thinking the same. There seems to be a lot of strategic game playing going on. Have all the men done the Rhumba now or has Patrick still to do his? I find most of the male Rhumbas a bit cringeworthy at the best of times and usually heave a sigh of relief when they're done.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:27 pm

I don't think that Patrick has done the Rhumba yet, B4p.

Apropos my previous post - I had a wry smile to myself when I found out that A nton and Fiona were doing American Smooth in Blackpool - good strategy!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Ashley hasn't done a rumba yet has he? Or was it just very forgettable?
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  gingercodgers Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Littlebear wrote:Ashley hasn't done a rumba yet has he? Or was it just very forgettable?
No he hasn't but O.la got Chris Hollins through a Rumba and it looked quite good, so she should be able to do the same with Ashley, fingers crossed.
I find her and J.ames are a bit stuck in a rut with their Choreography but I do think they pull off some great Rumba's.
gingercodgers
gingercodgers

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:17 am

I've gone right off amateur rumba, ie in Strictly. Contestants get all hooked up on imitating Biggles playing stiff-armed aeroplanes, playing air-piano with their hands or doing that ridiculous stretch where they stand on the spot and reach out threatening to fall over any minute. Move your feet and get close enough to make the action beleivable, for crying out loud. Add the fact they all behave as if they've just got caught out doing something wrong by their wives when asked to put some passion in the dance and they'd all be far better off sticking with the Charlston. Women contestants can get away with rumba because they have pro partners, men should just give it a miss.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next