Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Couples 2013

+17
allsewnonbyhand
David Tee
TANGOLERO
IAmFullOfWonder
jingle
Littlebear
Poppetlovestango
1superken
salsarae
mauveangel09
Tina Sparkle
Sid
gingercodgers
fiftynotout
CaledonianCraig
B4p
saxonsiren
21 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

New Couples 2013 - Page 6 Empty Re: New Couples 2013

Post  Sid Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Fingers crossed for you sax, hope you get them Smile

Jingle - I think Aljaz has been quite a hit with viewers and the way they're involving Janette in ITT and the Xmas Special suggests they're keen to keep her. I think Robin & Kristina might go if F.lavia and V.incent return. I also find myself wondering if B.rendan will want to keep carrying on...
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:38 pm

I remember the reasons given for V incent and F lavia not appearing this year was that she was getting married, they had been busy with their stage show and that he had just had another baby (obviously he was also going to the jungle but we didn't get to know that!!) I think they have left the door open in a way that no other departing couples have done previously - so that is interesting, it would be fantastic if they returned I agree. I have really missed them. I haven't warmed to either Janette or A nya I'm afraid, but then I didn't like Nathalie Lowe at first either! I think you are right that the new boys this year have been a hit. I think if anyone goes it will be one of the more long standing members - can't see A nton carrying on much longer - it has been strange to see him without E rin and now he has redeemed himself by not doing a year with a comedy partner it would seem a fitting farewell. Don't know about O la and the baby train............I don't think that the J ordans are the golden couple that they once were and it is interesting to see that the producers have taken on couples rather than singles with the newbies, whereas they haven't done in the last few 'change arounds'.

I really hope you are wrong about R obin going - as for Brendan - I would be gutted if he left, and I do think he is wearing well - still very relevant. I'm sure he wants to get to the final again -one more time at least.

The other intriguing thing is that someone will have to give way for Nathalie Lowe next year - A liona was their stand in this year but she has been used a lot more than a thought - perhaps they are having second thoughts about her???

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Sid wrote:Hasn't Elaine Paige done the Strictly Special before?
I thought that too
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:27 pm

B4p wrote:I thought that too
I looked into it. Elaine danced a Tango with former finalist Matt Dawson on a Sport Relief's Strictly Come Dancing Special Smile
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:55 pm

Musical week

Ashley and O la will Rumba to ‘A Whole New World’ from Aladdin by Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle

Patrick and Anya will dance the Charleston to ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’

Abbey and Aljaz will dance the Salsa to the Saturday Night Fever favourite ‘You Should Be Dancing’ by the Bee Gees.

Sophie and Brendan will be dancing the Viennese Waltz to the Sound of Music classic ‘My Favourite Things’ by Julie Andrews

Mark and Iveta will Samba to The Lion King’s ‘I Just Can’t Wait To Be King’

Susanna and Kevin will Quickstep to Tommy Steele’s version of ‘Good Morning’ from Singin’ In The Rain

Natalie and Artem will dance the American Smooth to Jennifer Hudson’s ‘I Am Telling You I’m Not Going’ from Dreamgirls
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 pm

This is pure torture from the BeeB making a couple dance to chitty chitty bang bang let alone force moi the poor viewer having to listen to it.Plus Julie Andrews argh why not have a grass hill & have the whole crew dancing to that awful tune! Not a happy bunny!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Argghhh - what a mixed bag!

Abby and Alijaz definitely got the best number, followed by Susanna and Kevin (but why the Tommy Steele version rather then the classic original - such a shame)

In the "adequate but could do better" category is Ashley and put a vest on you strumpet

In the "OMG - what were you thinking!" category is Sophie and Brendan, Natalie and Artem (but only if it is the song I think it is - in which case it is so WRONG for the AS) and of course, the worst one of all, Patrick and Anya.

And then there is the "I don't know this song but it's from a Disney thingummy so it's bound to be in the just adequate category" category for Mark and Iveta....
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:55 pm

It's truly a horrifying bunch of bad choices! What on earth is the point of having a "musicals" theme night (which, as theme nights go, "ought" to be one that works well), if you're going to foist that kind of rubbish on the dancers (and audience)? I don't believe for one minute that any of those choices were down to the pros.

All those really great musicals which would have suited the dance styles beautifully (Chicago? Cabaret? Sweet Charity? West Side Story?) ignored in favour of Aladdin and Saturday Night Fever. *shakes head and wanders off muttering*
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Changing the subject drastically from appalling Musical choices....

I have read on these forums that the delightful KFG did some impressions of L en and B runo in ITT - but I can't find a clip of it and I missed it. Anybody got a link?
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Dear Diamonds - here you are: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01jbtlz

And next time, don't post until you have exhausted EVERY avenue.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:20 pm

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks Sax - as soon as I posted I found it.... (See post just before yours...)

My mother always moaned that I couldn't see for looking, and that ineptitude still haunts me. One day I might grow out of it... Wink 
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:35 pm

Smile lol ok. I watched it again too. Usually I ask for something I can't find in the supermarket then the assistant just finds it right in front of me! I cannot see for the houses!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:48 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Smile lol ok. I watched it again too. Usually I ask for something I can't find in the supermarket then the assistant just finds it right in front of me! I cannot see for the houses!
That's very reassuring.... My mum, and now my boss, insists that it is just me....
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Looking at the song choices it does seem like a bit of a missed opportunity.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:06 pm

I realise that time and music march on, and we can't just keep asking for Gershwin and Cole Porter songs every week for the contestants to dance to.......... On second thoughts, with the amount of amazing songs available,yes, yes we can. I'm afraid my taste in musicals differ somewhat to the producers. And bring back the bossa nova whilst you're at it. Let's have a bit of Manha de Canival and Girl from Ipanema, and Begin the Beguine....and La Mer...and....oh, all sorts of things..... Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:18 pm

Sid wrote:Looking at the song choices it does seem like a bit of a missed opportunity.
I totally agree.  I can't believe that Disney films are even counted as musicals (though I accept strictly speaking they are) and their music is saccharine and yuk.

We have all identified numerous stage musicals which have He is. And we obey him. which readily lend themselves to ballroom and latin dancing. That Dreamgirls song - for an American Smooth?  AS is floaty, lilting, romantic, swingy, smooth (clues in the name) and that song is high octane, rasping, raw emotion of loss and pain - NOT romance.

Gah.

I thought I had sacked the producers who seemingly chose this guff...

Edit: the first line of the second para has been tinkered with! I don't even remember what I typed exactly... Try replacing "He is. And we obey him" with "n umbers". That will work!

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:08 pm

I think that Sophie, Susanna and Abby have drawn the best of the bunch because they are all 'big' songs and do at least lend themselves to dance - particularly of course the incomparable Saturday Night Fever - although there are far far better tracks from the show/film to dance a Salsa too - this track is a 'pop' track.

I fear for A shley - rumba plus a rubbish track doesn't mix well! The only saving grace is that I think A shley is quite balletic in his style and makes lovely shapes so all is not lost, but let's hope he has had enough rehearsal time............many a mighty have fallen at this stage through having too many other committments.

The short clip of what I saw of A rtem and Nathalie's American Smooth looked a bit the same as their VW - even though Ian said it was going to be Foxtrot based. A rtem nearly always gets into trouble for his American Smooths for not having enough 'in hold' - this looked the same. I'm sure it will be technically brilliant but for me this is the couple who always seem a bit 'cold'.

As for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang..................don't get me started!

You are right Littlbear - of all the great dance musicals out there..............this is all they can come up with.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:16 pm

Im thinking of watching SCD this Saturday with.out the volume on! I may have peace from Chitty! & Julie Andrews!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:56 pm

I'm not convinced that anyone can sing 'You should be dancing' other than the Bee Gees. Will have my finger hovering over the mute button for that one, just in case
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:33 am

Natalie and A.rtem's AS looks too much like their VW to me. All lyrical and balletic, not much in hold.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:19 pm

Ditto my thoughts S id.

Seemed like more of the same.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:33 pm

American Smooth is actually a cop out to avoid ballroom rules. Wink 
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:41 pm

Artem's AS are always rule breaking. Sometimes The Love God that is Leonard The Lion Goodman gets bothered: Kara and Natalie, but other times.......the Swan Lake for Holly....he loved. I don't get it.

On the whole, I think Artem needs the challenge of a partner who can't do EVERYTHING beautifully. The things he did for Holly fitting her skills and trying to get her engaged.: The Charleston, The Tango, the AT, the AS and the jive were some of his best work.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Which celeb has got nerves of steel?  Susannah, Patrick & Ashley are already stretched by their day jobs. Although there's not much between some of them ability wise, I think it will come down to who can grit their teeth, keep their nerve and get on with the job and the pros who judge the choreography right for the night and their celeb.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next